NYU Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
djl46 said:
Finally! Do you guys know the terms of the "NYU" loan?

I was looking through some of the NYU stuff I got during the interview day and second look (instead of studying for an immunology final . . . oh well) and found this in regards to the NYU Loan . . .

"New York University School of Medicine Loan
This is a private loan funded by the School of Medicine and/or donors, which must be repaid to the School of Medicine after graduation. Interest is currently 6% and the repayment period is ten years. Interest does not accrue while you are enrolled or during your 15 month grace period."

Also in regards to scholarship it says all aid is need based, suggesting whatever scholarships people received, were, as suspected, need based.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody going to do the honors program over the summer?

I thought about it, but decided to have fun instead:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good call! If I can find a fun part-time job, I'd do that.

djl46 said:
Is anybody going to do the honors program over the summer?

I wanted to, but when I e-mailed them (perhaps 3 weeks ago?) they said the deadline had already past so they couldn't guarantee me housing or a mentor. Not wanting to be in a situation where I had to find short term NYC housing on my own and get the mentor no one else wanted I decided to spend my summer rowing a racing shell around a lake in VA. Trying to have a nice health buffer before I start in August.

Random question, but does anybody know if NYU School of Medicine has a gym of its own? I believe we were told during interviews that there is a gym with a small yearly fee but I don't recall if it was the school's gym or a NYSC or something else. Anybody with some info on that?

the gym in the basement is really crappy...there's a crunch over on 2nd ave and 31st (ish). we also have a membership at the main nyu gym, but that's kind of a schlep.

*bump* this thread.

Does anyone know if we need to submit an end of year transcript?

If so, who do we address it to?

BMW M3 said:
*bump* this thread.

Does anyone know if we need to submit an end of year transcript?

If so, who do we address it to?
Yes, you do need to send in a final transcript. Just address it to the admissions office, because they are the ones who need it. Don't freak too much about it, I believe it was like November before I finally had mine in.

As for the gym issue, the one in the basement is a bit dank, But for $45 a year its tough to argue too much. The one at the downtown campus is very nice, but you have to take a 15 minute shuttle to get downtown to use it, also not too bad. If those aren't enough there is, as mentioned, a Crunch one block away. They usually give the school specials. Here is the deal they go this year (based on whether you want access to just the local Crunch, or any of the Crunches in the city):

2yrs All Clubs for $1175
2 yrs one club for $1025

1 yr all clubs for $875
1 yr one club for $675

Monthly billing memberships at:
36 month plan $79 to start and $67 a month there after for one club OR $74 a month forall clubs

So now that the 15th is just about over, I guess everyone should be official (baring waitlists for some I suppose). I'm not on any waitlists (didn't want the hassel of a last minute move) so NYU it is.

In other news I got the officially official NYU finaid package in the mail a few days ago. No changes from the earlier e-mail.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in August.

Hi everyone! I just got into NYU off the waitlist woohoo!!! I'm so soo excited and excited to finally be joining an official class of 2010 thread. Since I still havent received the acceptance letter, does it come w/housing information or do I get that later? Thanks!!

minnie2240 said:
Hi everyone! I just got into NYU off the waitlist woohoo!!! I'm so soo excited and excited to finally be joining an official class of 2010 thread. Since I still havent received the acceptance letter, does it come w/housing information or do I get that later? Thanks!!

Helloooo there and welcome aboard! Love your enthusiasm! This thread definitely needs some of that. Congrats on your offer! The way it worked for me (I was accepted in January) is that I got the acceptance letter first, and then much later the housing form, and much, much later the financial aid award. However, I would presume they would send everything (acceptance, housing, fin. aid) within a close time frame at this point since it's getting closer to August. We did not receive our housing assignments yet. I guess they're waiting to finalize the class before sending these out. If you would like to see some info on housing, you can find it all here http://www.med.nyu.edu/medicaldegree/life/housing.html

Ditto! :) Welcome welcome welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just decided too, finally...I'm getting really excited!! I'm anxious to know about my housing assignment...I hope I got a big room! Are you guys buying double beds for your rooms?

All of the housing assignments for the retruning students are done, so I imagine they are working on the incoming class now. If I remember correctly, my housing assignment came with my orientation materials packet, which should arrive sometime in late June early July.

As for buying a double bed, if you end up with a smaller room, just know that its going to end up taking a good amount of the space. I definitely would recommend buying a new bed of some sort, though, because the mattresses are not very comfortable.

Also, you are "allowed" to paint your room. So if you think you are going to end up being in the dorm for more than a year you might want to think about it. I just painted mine over spring break, and it definitely improved the feel of the room. According to housing, though, I will have to repaint it to the original color, or pa them to do so when I leave. But since I will probably be here for another year or two, it doesn't really bother me.

Finally, you might also think about the idea of a lofted bed. Not too many people do it (except on the first floor where the rooms come with lofts), but its great. I also built a loft for my double bed over break, and it really made the room feel much bigger. I was even able to fit a full size couch in the room because of it.

Sooo.. I made a few calls today, and I thought I'd share my new knowledge with y'all (and save them from having to answer more calls with the same questions too!) :) Since I'm making the big move from CA I thought it'd be a good idea to have everything all lined up.

This is what I was told on 5/17, so if there are any decrepancies, let me know!! (Of course, all info subject to change!) :oops:

Move-in: August 17-20
-Times: August 17-19: 10-4p, August 20: 10-noon (Source: Housing Office)
-Optional pre-orientation events on August 19-20! (Source: SAO)
-Information packet to come later

Orientation: August 21-25
-Mandatory for First Years
-Friday, August 25: Parents' Reception (AM) and White Coat Ceremony (afternoon); 2 guests allowed per student (due to room holding capacity)

First day of classes: August 28

P.S. For anyone curious, JetBlue upped their CA-->JFK weekday fees to $199 :( :( :(

Sweet job with the info, jsk... Damn I can't wait!

Just wanted to say an official CONGRATS to all of you.

NYU's an amazing place. It's dynamic, it's responsive, it's fluid, and most important, it's nurturing. It's one of those places that other schools envy, because NYU does it so well, and makes it look so easy.

Next year is tough. You hit the ground running. You start on Anatomy and MGB. So rest up, go graduate, travel, do whatever you have to do between now and Aug 19, and most importantly, ENJOY LIFE!

Congrats on your acceptance and welcome to the NYU family.

Thanks alot for the good wishes Mission!

Anybody know if NYU uses Lehninger:principles of Biochemistry? I'm trying to see whether to sell it

Hi everyone!!! I just got in to NYU today! :) I'm VERY excited. I am currently holding a spot at Einstein, and am pretty sure I will give it up for NYU, but before I do that, I was wondering if you guys can give me any advice and feedback on why you decided to go with NYU? Especially if any of you were deciding between Einstein and NYU! Thanks!

minnie2240 said:

Hey,

Did you receive the letter yet? I just got in today, so I was wondering the same thing about what is included.

Hi everyone!

I haven't been accepted, but I did get a phone call this morning from someone in the admissions office asking me questions about what I thought of NYU, where I stand with acceptances, etc., and that they would keep in touch with me within the next few weeks.

Did anyone else get a phone call like this (especially those who were recently accepted)? I'm just curious as to why I received the call, and what it might mean.

Thanks, and congratulations to everyone who got in!!! :)

NYMed said:
Hey,

Did you receive the letter yet? I just got in today, so I was wondering the same thing about what is included.

Hey...yep I got the letter on Friday so it took a week even though it should normally take only 2-3 days. So just a heads up if you don't get it for a while. It was only an acceptance letter. They got my deposit today so I'm hoping to get some more information asap. I'll let you know! Congrats btw!

Before I go bugging the med school . . . does anyone know what (if any) the computer requirements are for NYU SOM?

Dakota said:
Before I go bugging the med school . . . does anyone know what (if any) the computer requirements are for NYU SOM?

Great question, Dakota! Along the same lines, how the whole networking/connection set-up works in Rubin Hall too?

I know that they had a computing presentation last year at orientation; i haven't heard boo about anything techonology related. I'm pretty sure that rubin hall isn't wireless, but that's all i know about that.

Seeing as I am on the Tech committee, I may be able to answer your questions. Rubin is not wireless. There are plans to do that possibly in the future, but no timetable. There is a ethernet jack in each room, with net access as part of rent. If you really want wireless, you will have to buy a wireless router (which these days are pretty cheap). There is wireless coverage in the school, covering "anywhere students may congregate". So lounge, classrooms, cafeteria, study rooms, library, etc.

There are also going to be some major additions to the student websites over the summer, and an overhaul of the student portal within the near future. We are planning to send out info on technology with the orientation packets, as well as having an info session as part of orientation week.

On the subject of technology - does anyone know if NYU SOM offers tech support, and if they do to which computers (just PCs or Macs as well)?

Tech support for both, but only really in the way of using the school network, etc. Actual hardware or genral support, no. Though I am am fairly sure you can use the undergrad campus's resources, as we are considered students at both places.

NYMed said:
Hi everyone!!! I just got in to NYU today! :) I'm VERY excited. I am currently holding a spot at Einstein, and am pretty sure I will give it up for NYU, but before I do that, I was wondering if you guys can give me any advice and feedback on why you decided to go with NYU? Especially if any of you were deciding between Einstein and NYU! Thanks!

Hello!
I got into NYU the same day you did and am in a similar situation...I was holding a spot at Einstein when I received the NYU acceptance offer. I have decided to attend NYU mainly due to its location. I feel like I would eventually regret living in the Bronx if I turned down the opportunity to live in Manhattan. Also, I really liked Bellvue when I visited, the students I met there, and the facilities available to students. The downside? Like everyone else, I kind of cringe at the possibility of going back to "dorm style" living, yet after really thinking about this I had to ask myself...would I even step foot in my Einstein kitchen other than to use the microwave? Also, having a roommate at Einstein could turn out great or it could totally flop if you dont get along with the person. Just my ten cents. Good luck with your decision!

betty7 said:
Hello!
I got into NYU the same day you did and am in a similar situation...I was holding a spot at Einstein when I received the NYU acceptance offer. I have decided to attend NYU mainly due to its location. I feel like I would eventually regret living in the Bronx if I turned down the opportunity to live in Manhattan. Also, I really liked Bellvue when I visited, the students I met there, and the facilities available to students. The downside? Like everyone else, I kind of cringe at the possibility of going back to "dorm style" living, yet after really thinking about this I had to ask myself...would I even step foot in my Einstein kitchen other than to use the microwave? Also, having a roommate at Einstein could turn out great or it could totally flop if you dont get along with the person. Just my ten cents. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I'm going with NYU. I guess I always knew I would go with NYU, it's just that I had finally started getting excited about Einstein (especially the housing and the free biochem refresher course), so it took me awhile to switch back to being excited about NYU more (which is how it was after my interviews). But I keep getting more and more excited with each day, and location is definitely key! I'm a city girl, and I was not looking forward to the Bronx. My only hesitation was also the dorms, but I can deal with that. Also, I heard there are two: Rubin, and the apartment style one. Can first years live in the apartment one? Does anyone know?

Eistein is a great school. I dropped it after the NYU acceptance because I'd rather live in Manhattan, the curriculum at NYU seemed more progressive, clinical experience at Bellevue is better than anywhere else in NYC in terms of responsibility and diversity. Then again, this thread is going to be biased because we're all going to NYU!

On the plus side for Einstein, the rent is cheaper, housing is nicer (albeit there's not much to do in the Bronx), and I'm told you can spend the clinical years in Manhattan. Also, Einstein students seemed to have more free time in their first 2 years than any of the 6 or 7 schools I visited, which is awesome. You really can't go wrong either way.

first years almost never live in greenberg...basically we're all in rubin. i'm personally excited...it seems like it's all the good things about freshman year (lots of people, very social, no cleaning) without the bad things (roommates, not being 2:)) plus, it's super cheap for manhattan!

Well, congrats to all who have decided to come. I think you will be happy with your decision. And I will also mention one more time about Rubin: Its not as big of a "downside" as people say, at least in my opinion. Maybe if you came from living in a nice apartment, it would kind of suck. But I came right from undergrad, and it doesn't bother me at all. However, it is worth it to spend some money and make it comfortable. Also, you can't beat being able to wake up 10 minutes before class, and rolling into lecture right on time.

do you have any other recommendations about things we should do or buy before we come? any hints or tips?

LittleGuy said:
do you have any other recommendations about things we should do or buy before we come? any hints or tips?

the school is ez. have fun.

Hey guys,
This thread doesn't seem to be very active, so I suggest lets do introductions and get to know our fellow classmates! (Yes, I'm really bored at work.)
I've noticed some of the other class threads are dong that.
I guess I'll start: I just turned 23 exactly a week ago! Female. From NYC, went to college in the city as well. Can't wait to be in awesome Murray Hill (that is NYU's neighborhood, right?)

haha i'm bored at work as well...I'm a female, 21, just graduated from Michigan. I'm from ann arbor originally, so i'm excited to head somewhere new:)

LittleGuy said:
haha i'm bored at work as well...I'm a female, 21, just graduated from Michigan. I'm from ann arbor originally, so i'm excited to head somewhere new:)

You're a girl?! How did you come up with "LittleGuy"? I was convinced you were a guy, and couldn't figure out why any guy would label himself as "little" :)

LittleGuy said:

Hi littleguy, I'm also female, 21 and also just graduated from Michigan but I'm from Long Island originally. I must know you!!

i'm short (5'1 or so)...it's a nickname from friends. honestly, i hate having to make up screennames and things, so i always just pick them randomly. yay, it'll be fun having another michigan person around! it's totally possible that we've had classes together. what did you major in?

I am curious, how much free time do you REALLY have during your first year? Everyone says we'll be spending every waking moment studying -- will we be? Or will we have tons of time to do other things on the side (research, personal, etc.)

And, (this is sort of random), when do you suggest is the best time for friends to come visit? (At the beginning of the year, right after a block exam, at the end of the year, etc). Thanks!! :) :) :)

JSK44 said:
I am curious, how much free time do you REALLY have during your first year? Everyone says we'll be spending every waking moment studying -- will we be? Or will we have tons of time to do other things on the side (research, personal, etc.)

And, (this is sort of random), when do you suggest is the best time for friends to come visit? (At the beginning of the year, right after a block exam, at the end of the year, etc). Thanks!! :) :) :)
Your amoun of free time really depends on you. Most of the free time is going to come the week after an exam. With exams spaced usually at 3-4 weeks, the first week after an exam I usually used to relax and get some other stuff done, and didn't do much outside of class, maybe some reading especially during anatomy (an hour a day outside class). The second week, I would read transcripts, take some notes on the reading, but not really bust myself too hard, which left a decent amount of time (1-2 hours, depending on the test). The week before a test i would buckle down, and really didn't do much else besides study (4-5 hours early in the week, to all afternoon/evening as the test gets closer). Thats ust how i have done it, and I haven't had a problem, but everyone is dffrent.

Also, anatomy is totally different than any other course. It requires a lot more time, and keeping up with it outside of class. However, if you put your time in during lab/class, it makes it a bit easier. Also, first semester it feels like you have a lot less time, because anatomy is so time consuming. Then, most days were like 9-3 or 9-4 with classes. In the second semester, class days are considerably shorter, and there is a lot more freedom to not go to lecture if you just want to read the transcript.

Bottom line, though, you can have a good amount of free time if you want, but thats going to be affected by how much you need/want to study and what kind of extracurriculars you get involved in. Some people start reading for the next exam the day of/after an exam, and hardcore study all the time. I can't do that, and since its pass/fail, I don't feel the pressure to do so.

As for when to have a friend visit, don't do it in the first two months. First off, you want to get adjusted to the corse load, etc. Its also good to get an idea of the city so you can show someone around. Also, its best to have them visit the Friday after an exam. Sometimes we have Fri exams, so then they could come in the afternoon, and you are pretty free to not care about school while they visit. Sometimes we have Monday exams, so if they come that Friday after the exam, you still can usually just not think about work for a weekend. But I would definitely suggest not having someone come anytime within a week before an exam. You won't have fun if you are thinking about the test you have to study for.

NYMed said:
...I guess I'll start: I just turned 23 exactly a week ago! Female. From NYC, went to college in the city as well. Can't wait to be in awesome Murray Hill (that is NYU's neighborhood, right?)

I'm game. I'm 22, male, and from New York. I went to NYU undergrad and decided to get an apartment for medical school. I'll probably be one of the few people commuting from BK, so I hope that won't keep me out of the loop entirely. Guess we'll see!

Tony326 said:
I'm game. I'm 22, male, and from New York. I went to NYU undergrad and decided to get an apartment for medical school. I'll probably be one of the few people commuting from BK, so I hope that won't keep me out of the loop entirely. Guess we'll see!

Why did you decide to get an apartment in Brooklyn? And where in Brooklyn? I'm from Brooklyn too, btw :)

NYMed said:
Why did you decide to get an apartment in Brooklyn? And where in Brooklyn? I'm from Brooklyn too, btw :)

Four years of dorm life was more than enough for me. Brooklyn happened to provide the nicest (read: most affordable) options. I'm only 3 stops in on the L - at Graham Ave - so it'll be a quick commute for me to get to classes in the morning.

Where are you, NYMed?

Ok, with all these threads flying around about how great the Tablet computers are, I have to admit that I'm tempted to get one.

Can anybody tell me how relevant a tablet PC would be at NYU? Do most of the professors use powerpoint for their notes, or will we mainly be getting things such as paper handouts?

Tony326 said:
Ok, with all these threads flying around about how great the Tablet computers are, I have to admit that I'm tempted to get one.

Can anybody tell me how relevant a tablet PC would be at NYU? Do most of the professors use powerpoint for their notes, or will we mainly be getting things such as paper handouts?

First semester when you take MGB and Anatomy, it's almost all just course notes they give. If you do happen to go to MGB class (I wouldn't know, it was useless to go), I believe most of the lectures were written on the board. However, after the first semester and pretty much throughout 2nd year, it's all power point.

Tony326 said:
Four years of dorm life was more than enough for me. Brooklyn happened to provide the nicest (read: most affordable) options. I'm only 3 stops in on the L - at Graham Ave - so it'll be a quick commute for me to get to classes in the morning.

Where are you, NYMed?

I'm from Sheepshead Bay. (far side of Brooklyn) But I'll be sucking it up in the dorms :)

Quick question for those of you who got accepted in Jan/Feb....Have you already received your housing & medical forms? I just got accepted a couple weeks ago but I'm going away to Europe soon and wanted to see if these forms have been sent out yet and whether or not I should expect them. Thanks so much!!