NYU Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1)You cannot keep your email address indefinitely. You will learn quickly that the similarities between NYU Med and NYU undergrad/grad end at the name. Different admins, different policies, different IT. I personally think more integration would help the med school, but don't think thats too likely.

2)One washer/dryer on floors 12,13,14. 6 washer/dryers in the basement of Rubin. All machines use special cards, which you add money to in the lobby of Rubin via a machine (cash only). If you lose your card, it costs $5 to get a new one from the machine, but you will receive one free card to start out when you get to school. Cycles are $1 for both washers and dryers. Laundry is actually not bad at all, and one of the perks of actually living in Rubin. Most laundromats are at least twice the price. I have looked into doing wash/fold services in the city, but they would be considerably more expensive (some people still use them though). Perhaps if the washers weren't so close or they were more expensive, it would be a viable option.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys-
I just got my housing form...i'm in 128 in a small room. anyone else on the 12th floor? also...is anyone bringing a double bed for a small room, or are you just sucking it up and sleeping in the twin?

I am currently living on the 12th. You can fit a double bed in a small room, but don't expect to get any other kind of large furniture in, like a chair, futon, etc. I will say, though, that I would at least get a new twin bed. The mattresses are honestly terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
MDDM said:
Is everybody signing up for all the events during orientation week?

i didn't get any information on orientation week - did they mail you a packet with the activities or did you find them online? thanks!

Go to this site: http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/orientation/registration.html

You can sign up for events, RSVP for the white coat ceremony, and rank your choices for Master Scholars.... The website was listed in some of the orientation packet material. I got in off the waitlist, and the packet came about a week and a half after a sent in my check (I'm in CA):)

I am in room 126...so I think I am near you, LittleGuy. Is this the first floor or the twelfth floor...I think it might be the first. Does anyone know if the first floor rooms are nice, and what is the deal with the lofted beds? Looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation!!!

LittleGuy said:
Hi guys-
I just got my housing form...i'm in 128 in a small room. anyone else on the 12th floor? also...is anyone bringing a double bed for a small room, or are you just sucking it up and sleeping in the twin?

i'm definitely on the 12th...it says on my sheet that i have a xl twin...and all the first floor rooms have lofted beds. they're double beds with a built-in desk, pretty nice!

I just got my room assignment too, room 222...but now Im confused. I assumed that was on the 2nd floor but if room 126 is on the 12th floor then it doesnt make sense?...anyone know for sure?

Also, I definately want to sign up for some of the orientation events but will I feel left out if I don't sign up for certain things like the art museum tour or the Broadway show-the producers? My problem is that since I'm from NY, I've done all those activites before and don't necessarily want to pay extra to do it again

Thanks guys!

The first floor set-up are nice with the modular furniture, including the lofted double beds. Yhis way you can easily get mor furniture, like a couch, into the room. The ceilings are a lot higher, which is why they only have this on the first floor. The one downside for me woul be that you can't watch tv while laying in bed, but I suppose thats not such a big deal. I actually built a loft for my bed, which is like a "half" loft, moving a double bed like 4 feet off the ground. This way I put my dresser and refrigerator under it, and was able to fit in a pretty big couch. Just an idea of things you can do.

Also, as mentioned before, if you think you want to stay in Rubin for more than a year, consider painting it. I did to my room, and it makes it much better. However, its much easier to paint before you move your stuff in, because i had to move all my stuff out into the hall over spring break to do it, and it sucked. (Also know you will have to repaint it white when you move out, or pay whatever they charge to do so)

As for the issue of not signing up for stuff because you have done it, I would say do it anyway. Part of the reason is to do cool stuff around NYC, but a bigger part is to get to know classmates. You would defintiely be missing out if you didn't do these things, as you will defintiely be in the minority of people not going. Also, i think it only costs like 200 to do all the things (or less i think) and thats worth it even if you ust take the money out of your loans. Thats my best advice actually about med school and money: you are going to have huge loans no matter what. An extra 200 here or there is not going to make an appreciable difference in your loan repayment, but if it help keeps you sane or enhances your experience, then its invaluable.

Hi- Just got my housing info too- I am on the 13th floor- anyone else?:)

Hey, does anyone know if you can have a non-student roommate living with you in your dorm room? My girlfriend and I would like to live together, but we are neither married nor in a domestic partnership.

Just got my room assignment, looks like I'm living in Greenberg. I kinda regretted picking it as my first choice, but I think it'll be alright, making friends shouldn't be that hard. Having kitchen will also definitely be pretty nice. Anyway, anyone know what the guest policy is? i.e. any limits on number of people you can sign in, whether you need to sign people in at all, so on and so forth.

Anyway, I'm starting to get kinda tired of the summer, can't wait for school to start!

butmylipshurtrealbad said:
Hi- Just got my housing info too- I am on the 13th floor- anyone else?:)

9th floor... i think :D

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops, i take it back, i think i'm on the first floor too. a little room confusion:) does anyone, especially current students, have any tips for moving into rubin hall?

Yes, get there at the earliest possible time you can move in on Friday (or thurday it may be). If you wait until midday, its pandemonium. You can wait till later in the weekend, but you are going to need time before orienatation starts to go around to home depot, bed bath and beyond, etc. Actually, there is a place called Home Front Hardware on 29th and 3rd that has all kinds of "housewares" and organizational stuff. Its MUCH more convenient than trekking all the way to 23rd and 6th for Bed/Bath. Only things you won't find are appliances and bedding. You will want a couple days to get that stuff done, especially if parents will be helping then going home.

Also, first thing you should do is get an AC unit. Some people go without, but I can't even imagine. You don't pay electricity, so I haven't turned mine of "61" since April. (Including running it during the winter because of the crazy heat in the building).

Anyway else feeling a little abandoned on the finaid front? I got an email a few days ago about the staffords (had to sign an mpn etc) but should we be worrying about things like applying for additional FFELP loans, etc? Or will NYU tell us what we should be doing? I haven't been worried based on two assumptions. 1) NYU wants me to be a student and 2) as a student they want money from me. Thoughts anyone?

Dakota said:
Anyway else feeling a little abandoned on the finaid front? I got an email a few days ago about the staffords (had to sign an mpn etc) but should we be worrying about things like applying for additional FFELP loans, etc? Or will NYU tell us what we should be doing? I haven't been worried based on two assumptions. 1) NYU wants me to be a student and 2) as a student they want money from me. Thoughts anyone?

I just did that thing they sent me an email to do. I think it was the Stafford. I'm sooo clueless about this that I'm beginning to feel like the questionable admission:

12_med_students_panel_08__Small_.jpg

Good cartoon . . . a few others I met at 2nd look are in the same boat as far as finaid. Guess everything will get worked out.

I think everyone is in the same boat when it comes to Financial Aid. Is anyone going to sign up for the meal plan? How's the food?

The financial aid office is a train wreck, to put it nicely. To give you a little perspective, I still have not received my financial aid package for year 2...and school starts in 3.5 weeks.

As for what needs to be done, just make sure you go online at Sallie Mae and electronically sign your MPN. All the other loans get handled during orientation week. At least that is the way it was for everyone in our class.

Do not sign up for the meal plan. If it hasn't changed, you basically have to spend the minimum amount in the dining hall and the money does not carry over. Some of the cafeteria food is palatable, but not great, selection is limited and its not cheap. No way you could eat there every day for lunch. There are plenty of places around here to grab a sandwich or salad, even with only an hour break.

How much should I allocate per week to be able to live comfortably and still be able to go out for drinks? $100 ... $200 ... $300 ... $400?

FaytIND, I wanted to say THANK YOU for all your help and insight on this thread! I would be so lost (Questionable Admission right here too) without your little tidbits along the way.

I was curious, I know there is a "Computer Fair" during orientation week -- if I was planning on buying a whole new desktop setup anyway, should I hold off until the Computer Fair or go ahead with my plans to order a Dell beforehand and have it shipped directly to my room? The description says the prices are "competitive" and I'm not out to buy anything super fancy. Thanks a bunch!

First, I want to say I am glad i can help. I know its a bit overwhelming, and their are a lot of questions. I am trying to answer as honestly as I can, but with the least bias as possible. Everyone has their own way they do things, and their own opinions, but I have tried to minimize those, and give the basic info. So I guess what I am saying is, when you get here, find out as much as you can, from as many people as you can. Because especially things like advice on classes, books, and school work can be meaningless if you talk to someone who is not a similar "style" of student to you.

As for budgeting money, thats a loaded question. I have figured it out for myself, that I can live on about $450 a month if I am doing the minimal. This means I probably cook once or twice week, and get 2-3 meals out of it. I also cook things like pasta sauce or chili (and freeze them), which get me about 8-10 meals per batch, and costs maybe 40 for the chili and 25 for the pasta (altogether) I avoid eating out at expensive restaraunts on a regular basis (maybe twice a month). Eat stuff like a sandwich and some boxed Mac and Cheese for lunch. At this rate I can get in at about 12.50/day or less for food on average. That leaves about 75 for recreation. All in all, I was living on 800/month without a problem, and having a pretty good time when I wanted to. This included at least one trip to CT a month to see my girlfriend, and paying at least 150/month for some credit card debt I had.

Thats where the big decisions come in: recreation. If you want to go out and go nuts 2 times a weekend every weekend (or even 4 times a month) thats going to seriously increase your budget. It is possible to go out, get a drink or two, and keep it under 20 bucks. In that case, you can go out like 3 times.

So, thats just an example. Its going to be different for everyone. I would say that if you allocate $150 a week, you should be able to do just about everything you want, without going overboard. Its possible to live on much less than that, if you cook a lot, and really watch what you spend.

As for the computer fair, don't bother. Just look for a good deal on a Dell, Lenovo (laptop), or Mac (wouldn't buy a Mac desktop till the new Intel's come out anyway). Personally, i would tell you to build your own, but thats the nerd in me talking. Anything you get is going to be more than adequate. Dell runs its best deals at the end of each quarter, so right around now there should be some decent deals still there.

BMW M3 said:
How much should I allocate per week to be able to live comfortably and still be able to go out for drinks? $100 ... $200 ... $300 ... $400?

it's all about the preparty with the cheap vodka and natty ice. oh yeah, for you midwesterners, that's pregame.

JSK44 said:
FaytIND, I wanted to say THANK YOU for all your help and insight on this thread! I would be so lost (Questionable Admission right here too) without your little tidbits along the way.

I wanted to say thanks for appreciating the best band ever...too bad they peaked at aenima..

but seriously, thanks for helping all us future bobcats out.

calvinandhobbes said:
I wanted to say thanks for appreciating the best band ever...too bad they peaked at aenima..

Glad to find another fan. Not to many of them around school and on this board. I actually saw them in concert when they were in NYC in May. Absolutely incredible.

As for peaking at Aenema, I have to disagree. While I do agree it was their best, the term "peaked" implies they have somehow become not good. I personally think they are still putting out some of the best music you can find.

On a side note, anyone have the link to the microbiology placement exam notes? Its the exam we take so we can place out of the first couple of weeks of the class. I tried to google search and even search the med.nyu.edu page, but no luck.

Thanks in advance

After reading through the housing stuff again I noticed the little blurb on furniture mentions the full complement being a bed, mattress, dresser, desk, and chair (subject to availability). I noticed an armoire is conspicuously absent. I do not remember seeing built in closets in the rooms. Is there no space to hang anything? That seems crazy to me, but if that's the case I'm going to have to start thinking of a creative workaround.

For those bringing their own bed. In the housing packet they said to hand in a Service Request form to have your bed moved out before you move in, of course the form was NOT included with my packet. Anyone else have this problem?

They told me to just write a letter to them but something tells me that without the proper forms I can expect a bed still in my room when I get there.

gotdoc said:
For those bringing their own bed. In the housing packet they said to hand in a Service Request form to have your bed moved out before you move in, of course the form was NOT included with my packet. Anyone else have this problem?

They told me to just write a letter to them but something tells me that without the proper forms I can expect a bed still in my room when I get there.

Who are we supposed to write the letter to? Thanks

gotdoc said:

That's odd . . . there was a form included with mine, unfortunately I don't remember too many specifics on it b/c I mailed it in. I might have a copy (I'm sort of obsessive about forms) floating around, if no one else posts anything useful I'll try to find it.

In other news . . . NYU sent me a bill today! They totaled up tuition housing, insurance (even tho I just sent in a form saying I didn't want it, I have my own . . . I plan to subtract the $1500), and fees and then credited anticipated Staffords and a few other things. The difference was what I owe (due August 14th!). Just seems like short notice to me considering there was no other communication for so long. My guess is I'll pony up the difference for this term but in the future I'll have to secure other loans. Just thought others might want a heads up.

DO NOT PAY THAT BILL. The same thing happens to everyone, and many times all of your loans haven't credited properly. I remember that last year it said I owed money, but its because only my Stafford loans had been deducted. I had a few other loans through the school that do not get approved until you get to school and fill out the paper work. If you are going to need to get private loans, etc. you still have time to do that. Your bill is not considered past due for a few months I believe. Call the Bursar's office to be sure.

As for insurance, that will take a while to be reflected in your statement. Here is an excerpt from an email current student received:
"Additionally, since tuition and fee bills are generated by Washington Square and sent out prior to notification of enrollment status, please realize that your bill for the fall semester (which you may receive in the next few weeks) will show a charge for United Health Care. If you are waiving coverage, please instruct whoever is handling your bill to deduct the fall charge of $1500 from your bill when making payments."

And I should say, that if you know from your package that you have to pay out of pocket, and are going to pay cash without a loan, you can go ahead and pay. Otherwise, wait till you get to school. Though, again, i would call and talk to the Bursar to double check all this.

bgreet said:
Who are we supposed to write the letter to? Thanks

to housing...I wrote and email and sent a letter. call them and ask for the correct details. and dont forget to CC yourself in your emails...you never know with administration! they could have "never gotten it."

FaytIND, thanks for the FA heads up . . . sounds like a wonderful operation they have going on . . .

FaytlND said:
Do not sign up for the meal plan. If it hasn't changed, you basically have to spend the minimum amount in the dining hall and the money does not carry over. Some of the cafeteria food is palatable, but not great, selection is limited and its not cheap. No way you could eat there every day for lunch. There are plenty of places around here to grab a sandwich or salad, even with only an hour break.

hey, just got the meal plan letter. sounds like the food sucks, but doesn't having it make it more convenient on a busy schedule? i feel like the food at my undergrad institution sucked pretty bad, but it was so convenient that it was worth it.

thanks again fayt

Well, regarding the meal plan, its not really a plan. It would be one thing if you got like half price food by buying it, but that is not the case. The only thing you gain is not having to pay sales tax, and you can just swipe your id like a credit card. In my opinion, that not really enough to force yourself to spend 1k there over the course of the year. You can still have the convenience if you pay in cash, and the amount I probably spent in sales tax is not significant. I would say that over the course of the year, I ate there about once or twice a week (often times none).

gotdoc said:

The form was page 4 of the lease agreement, the first 3 pages were standard lease stuff, page 5 was something about lead based paint and page 6 was about bars in windows. Here are the contents of page 4:

ADDENDUM TO STUDENT LICENSE REGARDING FURNITURE

See below even if you are not moving in to a new housing space.

All student accomodations are furnished. If Licensee will be moving to a new housing space and you do not want the standard NYU furniture, it can be removed prior to your moving in if you provide at least two weeks prior written notice via the Real Estate Department's Service Request from--address questions to the Residential Property Supervisor, Edward Berman at property.management(at)med.nyu.edu. The unit may not be partially furnished; the only individual optional item is the bed. Note that NYU's beds may not be removed from Rubin Hall of Residence first-floor rooms.

Any requests to have a bed removed or to have all furniture removed, after Licensee has moved into the Unit, are subject to approval and to a fee of not less than $100. Licensee will be held responsible for any furniture found to be missing from the Unit. See item 9 in Student License.

My furniture Request: I request NYU furniture as follows (check one):

_____ N/A: I am not moving into a new housing space

_____ All: Please provide the full compliment of NYU furniture (single bed, mattress, dresser, bookcase, desk, chair, subject to availability)

_____ All except bed: Please provide the full compliment of NYU furniture, subject to availability, except the bed-I will provide my own bed. (note that beds are not optional in Rubin Hall of Residence first floor rooms; they can not be removed)

_____ None: No NYU furniture to be provided. I will provide all my own furniture. Note: beds are not optional in Rubin Hall of Residence first floor rooms

Z:\Common File\Leases&Licenses\RHStudentLicense.doc 4
7/7/2006

faytind-

I was wondering if you could answer a questions of mine. I'm trying to book my plane tickets for a family event in the end of October. Do you know if there is somewhere we can access our class or exam schedule? I want to leave on a Friday but don't want to miss anything important. What time do classes on Friday normally run? Thanks so much!

Dakota said:
The form was page 4 of the lease agreement, the first 3 pages were standard lease stuff, page 5 was something about lead based paint and page 6 was about bars in windows. Here are the contents of page 4:

ADDENDUM TO STUDENT LICENSE REGARDING FURNITURE

See below even if you are not moving in to a new housing space.

All student accomodations are furnished. If Licensee will be moving to a new housing space and you do not want the standard NYU furniture, it can be removed prior to your moving in if you provide at least two weeks prior written notice via the Real Estate Department's Service Request from--address questions to the Residential Property Supervisor, Edward Berman at property.management(at)med.nyu.edu. The unit may not be partially furnished; the only individual optional item is the bed. Note that NYU's beds may not be removed from Rubin Hall of Residence first-floor rooms.

Any requests to have a bed removed or to have all furniture removed, after Licensee has moved into the Unit, are subject to approval and to a fee of not less than $100. Licensee will be held responsible for any furniture found to be missing from the Unit. See item 9 in Student License.

My furniture Request: I request NYU furniture as follows (check one):

_____ N/A: I am not moving into a new housing space

_____ All: Please provide the full compliment of NYU furniture (single bed, mattress, dresser, bookcase, desk, chair, subject to availability)

_____ All except bed: Please provide the full compliment of NYU furniture, subject to availability, except the bed-I will provide my own bed. (note that beds are not optional in Rubin Hall of Residence first floor rooms; they can not be removed)

_____ None: No NYU furniture to be provided. I will provide all my own furniture. Note: beds are not optional in Rubin Hall of Residence first floor rooms

Z:\Common File\Leases&Licenses\RHStudentLicense.doc 4
7/7/2006

Yeah, I got this form but its confusing at the top when they say:

"If Licensee will be moving to a new housing space and you do not want the standard NYU furniture, it can be removed prior to your moving in if you provide at least two weeks prior written notice via the Real Estate Department's Service Request from--address questions to the Residential Property Supervisor, Edward Berman at property.management(at)med.nyu.edu"

I told them I had this addendum and asked if I still needed the "Service Request" Form and she said yes. I wrote the letters anyway to be safe.

do people bring uhauls?

Hello all. Does anybody know anything about choosing a different lender for our stafford/other loans than sallie mae, which NYU selected for us? I'm pretty sure we don't have to use sallie mae and i thought maybe other lenders (like myrichuncle.com) have better terms? I'm trying to understand all this finaid stuff and it's totally overwhelming....

Yes, people bring Uhauls. However, once you unload it, finding space to park it in the city is not easy and not cheap. I actually couldn't tell you where you would be able to park it. You may have the best luck driving it out of the city and parking it at a hotel in NJ or something.

As for loan lenders, I am pretty sure with Stafford loans you are stuck with Sallie Mae. You can call the finaid office and ask, but I am not to optimistic that they would allow you to go through someone else. Who knows, though.

And leaving for a weekend can be tough. As far as I know, actual schedules for classes have not been released yet, and you won't know them until you get to school. The general academic calendar is out, but that just lets you know when the big breaks are. It is possible to leave on a Friday afternoon, however during the first semester most exams end up being on Fridays, about every 3-3.5 weeks. If there is no exam, then you can usually miss the whole day, but if you wanted to go to class, assume its over by 3 or 4. If there is an exam, you will be done by about 4 at the absolute latest, probably more like 2. So, if you really want to get tickets now, get them for later in the evening. Otherwise, wait until you know for sure, as there are no such thing as "make-up" exams, and the anatomy faculty is not going to let you take the test at a different time without an incredible reason. If you really want to know, you could try to email the first semester faculty, as I bet they have the syllabi written now, its just a matter of figuring out what it is.

FaytlND said:
Yes, people bring Uhauls. However, once you unload it, finding space to park it in the city is not easy and not cheap. I actually couldn't tell you where you would be able to park it. You may have the best luck driving it out of the city and parking it at a hotel in NJ or something.

As for loan lenders, I am pretty sure with Stafford loans you are stuck with Sallie Mae. You can call the finaid office and ask, but I am not to optimistic that they would allow you to go through someone else. Who knows, though.

And leaving for a weekend can be tough. As far as I know, actual schedules for classes have not been released yet, and you won't know them until you get to school. The general academic calendar is out, but that just lets you know when the big breaks are. It is possible to leave on a Friday afternoon, however during the first semester most exams end up being on Fridays, about every 3-3.5 weeks. If there is no exam, then you can usually miss the whole day, but if you wanted to go to class, assume its over by 3 or 4. If there is an exam, you will be done by about 4 at the absolute latest, probably more like 2. So, if you really want to get tickets now, get them for later in the evening. Otherwise, wait until you know for sure, as there are no such thing as "make-up" exams, and the anatomy faculty is not going to let you take the test at a different time without an incredible reason. If you really want to know, you could try to email the first semester faculty, as I bet they have the syllabi written now, its just a matter of figuring out what it is.

FaytlND, you are the best! thanks for all your help. I'm from the city area so I can actually return it the same day or park it in front of my house!

Hey did anyone else receive their statement of account today and freak out? My statement of account is asking for $7,750 remittance, out of pocket, to be sent by August 14th. It appears as if my "Suggested Additional FFELP Unsubsidized Loan", which would contribute $10,000 to this upcoming semester, wasn't included in the statement. After checking the amount that I was awarded via my financial aid, I should have a total of $26,125 for this first semester which should be enough to cover everything, but the statement says otherwise. This is the breakdown I have:

Debits:
Medical School Tuition: 16,550
Medical School Fees: 2,325
United Health Care Insurance: 1,500
Housing-Rubin Hall: 3,600
Total: 23,975

Credits:
Alumni Scholarship: 1,625
Payment-Matriculation Fee: 100
NYU Loan: 2,250
Anticipated Loans Perkins: 3,000
Anticipated Stafford Loan: 4,250
Anticipated Unsub. Stafford: 5,000
Total: 16,225

Total Remittance: $7,750

I'm so perplexed.... anyone else in the same boat?

Hey fellas - how's everybody doing? Just found this thread and it's getting me all excited again to start at NYU. I got accepted off the waitlist in mid-May. I was actually in Peru at the time and found out through an e-mail. I completely wasn't expecting it and you can't believe how psyched I was! I went around to all my Peruvian acquaintances trying to explain it to them in my very limited Spanish :rolleyes: Anyway, i can't wait to meet all of you.

Quick question to anyone currently attending NYU and who happens to be reading this: I got Greenberg 8R for my housing assignment. But now that I think about it, I might wanna live in Rubin to get a chance to meet and chill with all my classmates. So my question is where did you live your first year and if you had the chance to do it again would you make the same choice? For me, the social scene is more important than a private bathroom, so should I try to switch to Rubin?

bgreet said:
Hey did anyone else receive their statement of account today and freak out? My statement of account is asking for $7,750 remittance, out of pocket, to be sent by August 14th. It appears as if my "Suggested Additional FFELP Unsubsidized Loan", which would contribute $10,000 to this upcoming semester, wasn't included in the statement. After checking the amount that I was awarded via my financial aid, I should have a total of $26,125 for this first semester which should be enough to cover everything, but the statement says otherwise. This is the breakdown I have:

Debits:
Medical School Tuition: 16,550
Medical School Fees: 2,325
United Health Care Insurance: 1,500
Housing-Rubin Hall: 3,600
Total: 23,975

Credits:
Alumni Scholarship: 1,625
Payment-Matriculation Fee: 100
NYU Loan: 2,250
Anticipated Loans Perkins: 3,000
Anticipated Stafford Loan: 4,250
Anticipated Unsub. Stafford: 5,000
Total: 16,225

Total Remittance: $7,750

I'm so perplexed.... anyone else in the same boat?

See my post and FaytIND's reply earlier on this page (7/28)

Dakota said:
See my post and FaytIND's reply earlier on this page (7/28)

Thanks

bgreet said:

No problem . . .

Hope they have these power issues sorted out by the time we get there (1st day of move in is 2 weeks from today!). Although I suppose there will be just as many power issues unless the temperatures decrease to something approaching normal.