NYU Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bangtheroo said:
Hello all. Does anybody know anything about choosing a different lender for our stafford/other loans than sallie mae, which NYU selected for us? I'm pretty sure we don't have to use sallie mae and i thought maybe other lenders (like myrichuncle.com) have better terms? I'm trying to understand all this finaid stuff and it's totally overwhelming....

Hopefully people will chime in with alternative means of paying in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=305409

Members don't see this ad.

FaytlND said:
And leaving for a weekend can be tough. As far as I know, actual schedules for classes have not been released yet, and you won't know them until you get to school. The general academic calendar is out, but that just lets you know when the big breaks are. It is possible to leave on a Friday afternoon, however during the first semester most exams end up being on Fridays, about every 3-3.5 weeks. If there is no exam, then you can usually miss the whole day, but if you wanted to go to class, assume its over by 3 or 4. If there is an exam, you will be done by about 4 at the absolute latest, probably more like 2. So, if you really want to get tickets now, get them for later in the evening. Otherwise, wait until you know for sure, as there are no such thing as "make-up" exams, and the anatomy faculty is not going to let you take the test at a different time without an incredible reason. If you really want to know, you could try to email the first semester faculty, as I bet they have the syllabi written now, its just a matter of figuring out what it is.

Thanks fatyind...I guess I'll try to just wait till we get our schedule before booking anything..even if it costs more.

Anyone know whats the deal with air conditioners? I want to bring one but can I install it myself or do we need to get somone who works in the building to do it? Thanks all

Could someone explain the benefits/terms of Perkins and NYU Loans? If you don't need to borrow all the loan money you've been offered, is it possible/beneficial to use the Perkins and NYU loans and only a portion of the unsubsidized stafford loan? Or are Perkins and NYU loans that you can only use if you've used up all of your unsub staff and still need more?

I was awarded:

5k NYU Scholarship
5k Perkins Loan
5k NYU Loan
8.5k Subsidized Staff Loan
10k Unsubsidized Staff Loan
20k Additional Unsub Staff Loan

I only need to cover about 33k, so should I use the Perkins/NYU Loans and borrow just 10k unsub staff, or should I decline Perkins/NYU Loans and borrow 20k unsub staff? Basically, are the interest rate and repayment terms/benefits better with Perkins/NYU Loans or Unsub Staff Loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
my bill looks exactly the same. i received another form from NYU the other day with instructions on how to secure the additional FFELP loans if desired, which would cover the $7,750 they're asking for. one other thing on that bill they sent: it doesn't account for the $400 deposit we already sent in for housing...

also, on a more encouraging note, i did a little research on sallie mae's terms compared to myrichuncle.com and it appears the deal NYU struck with sallie mae actually appears more beneficial to us borrowers than what myrichuncle has to offer, so maybe NYU finaid isn't totally out to screw us over...(though their awards are PATHETIC!!)

Shishka said:
Could someone explain the benefits/terms of Perkins and NYU Loans?

I don't know about the perkins but here's the description I found on the NYU loan

"New York University School of Medicine Loan
This is a private loan funded by the School of Medicine and/or donors, which must be repaid to the School of Medicine after graduation. Interest is currently 6% and the repayment period is ten years. Interest does not accrue while you are enrolled or during your 15 month grace period."

This rate is lower than the current Stafford rate (6.8%) and interest does not accrue while you are a student (just like the subsidized stafford). In other words, pretty good terms.

Dakota said:
I don't know about the perkins but here's the description I found on the NYU loan

"New York University School of Medicine Loan
This is a private loan funded by the School of Medicine and/or donors, which must be repaid to the School of Medicine after graduation. Interest is currently 6% and the repayment period is ten years. Interest does not accrue while you are enrolled or during your 15 month grace period."

This rate is lower than the current Stafford rate (6.8%) and interest does not accrue while you are a student (just like the subsidized stafford). In other words, pretty good terms.

thanks

No problem, and for the curious, the perkins loan is 5% with no interest accruing until graduation. Basically, this is the best loan.

Dakota said:
No problem, and for the curious, the perkins loan is 5% with no interest accruing until graduation. Basically, this is the best loan.

nice :thumbup:

In terms of workload, do you guys think the first week of class will be slow and easy or will things be intense from get go?

gotdoc said:
In terms of workload, do you guys think the first week of class will be slow and easy or will things be intense from get go?

I think I've heard the phrase "hit the ground running" enough times to squash any thoughts of slow and easy. :)

gotdoc said:

I'm hoping orientation goes slow and easy . . . after that, eh, all bets are off.

anyone have the exam schedules and/or the class schedules for the coming year?

embryology is posted; if you go through the student portal into class resources and then into the anat/embro section you can find it. they don't make it easy though:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Exams Exams Exams... :scared:

Anyone know what the maximum allowed BTU for air conditioners is? I'm pretty sure I read something about that somewhere in the sea of packets they sent out but I'm not sure where.

Hi everyone! I was JUST accepted off the waitlist today and am SO excited and now SO worried that I've missed out on everything! I was told via email that my acceptance letter's in the mail, so I was just wondering what I'll be getting and what I'll be sending in? Is there stuff online that I should do now? (I was browsing around and wondered if I could register for the orientation activities and stuff before I send in my check...) Do I automatically get assigned housing? Anyone else off the waitlist recently? Ahh I am so excited to join the NYU family!

superkiwi said:
Hi everyone! I was JUST accepted off the waitlist today and am SO excited and now SO worried that I've missed out on everything! I was told via email that my acceptance letter's in the mail, so I was just wondering what I'll be getting and what I'll be sending in? Is there stuff online that I should do now? (I was browsing around and wondered if I could register for the orientation activities and stuff before I send in my check...) Do I automatically get assigned housing? Anyone else off the waitlist recently? Ahh I am so excited to join the NYU family!

Congrats! Don't have any answers about housing and checks and such but I'm sure (hopefully?) the admissions office will take care of you. Congrats again and welcome.

Yay, congrats kiwi! That's so exciting! I would call the school and ask what you can do right away to get the ball rolling, especially in terms of housing...I think because you got off the list this close to class starting, they will help you speed up the process. (It seems like pretty short notice to wait for eveything to come in the mail) Congrats again!:)

On another note, if anyone is bringing an extra person to orientation events (not white coat), I don't know how this stuff works, but I got 2 of everything, but think I might not need the extra ticket to some of the events-- anyone know what I can do (if anything) about it?

And..... Aaaah!:) I can't believe orientation starts so soon!:)

Hey Fayt, thanks for answering. One more thing... Is it better to get one of those window mounted air conditioners or one that vents through a hose?

superkiwi said:

Hey superkiwi, congrats!!!

So far, we've gotten a bunch of housing stuff (sign up for Rubin!), some healthcare stuff, financial aid, and some random patent law and etc. crap. It's actually quite a bit, so i suggest you do it all once you get it.

The most important thing for me was the orientation handbook because it explains pretty much everything, including orientation week, which is gonna be friggin rad. Here's the PDF of it

http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/orientation/ORIENT~1.PDF

You can sign up for the orientation week events here:

http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/orientation/registration.html

Hope that helps! And congrats again! :thumbup:

- Spaceman Spiff

MDDM said:
Hey Fayt, thanks for answering. One more thing... Is it better to get one of those window mounted air conditioners or one that vents through a hose?
Up to you. All the rooms have supports built outside the window for the window units. Only advantage to the portable models are that you can position them differently in the room. But, with the fact that they cost considerably more, I would just go for the window unit.

What about kitchen gear? What kind of stuff should we bring?

bgreet said:
What about kitchen gear? What kind of stuff should we bring?

Bgreet you are the man. That was my next question... What should we bring to the kitchen itself, and what should we bring to our rooms (microwave, small refrigerator, etc...)? Thanks Fayt! Your help is much appreciated.

BMW M3 said:
anyone have the exam schedules and/or the class schedules for the coming year?

It looks like the syllabi are posted for most/all classes. There are also schedules available for most of them. From the student portal, click on academics and then view the sites for the different first year modules. Hope this helps.

Well, with kitchen gear, its all about what you need personally. Apparently, the Housing dept has purchased a set of pots and pans for each kitchen this summer, but they haven't been distributed yet, so I don't have any more info than that.

So if you have a favorite pot or pan, bring it. Also, you will need dishes, cups, silverware at least (even if you are only going to eat in). Basically, don't assume anything is here besides pots/pans. Even then, if you get here, and you need something, there are plenty of ways to buy it. Actually, if you are planning to buy kitchen stuff, don't bother buying it at home. Wait and buy it here (I got a service setting for 4 at Bed/Bath/Beyond for 30 bucks) to save having to haul crap around while moving. The internet is also your friend.

As for appliances, each kitchen has like 3 microwaves, so if you don't mind walking down the hall, don't waste your money buying one. Besides, you are not supposed to have them, but I know plenty of people who do and no one cares. Thats just a preference thing. I will say though, there are limited electrical outlets in each room (2 sets of 2, and one for the AC) so limiting your non-essential power demanding things is probably a good idea.

I may have addressed the refrigerator thing before, but I don't blame anyoine for not looking back. Again, it depends on your needs. I have an "apartment" size refrigerator, with a seperate freezer. (Here is the product page from Avanti http://www.avantiproducts.com/fridge/653sst-details.html) This really helps because I can keep anything I cook for leftovers, and freeze the pasta sauce and such that I make in bulk. There are big communal freezers in each kitchen, so its not that important, but I like having my own. No guaranteed communal refrigerators though. So if you are going to cook often, opt for a larger size. If you never want to cook, all you may need is a small cube for drinks and left over take out. Again, don't necessarily buy one and bring it here unless you see an insane deal. I got mine at PC Richard's which is a big elecronics/appliance store in the city, and they had a much better selection than any of the big chains.

Finally, don't leave any of your favorite stuff in the kitchens. Most people are good about it, but I did have a 2qt saucepan walk on me, even though I left it for only 2 days. Finding a big bin to store it in your room is a good idea, as well as some carry all to transport stuff to the kitchen when you want to cook. It can be a pain sometimes, but you can save money by cooking.

On a related note, don't bother going to the grocery store here. Not only is it inconvenient when you need a lot of stuff, but its very expensive. Use FreshDirect.com. You order on line, and they deliver the next day. Even with the 6 dollar delivery charge, you come out ahead price wise. They also have a much better selection than most of the grocery stores around here. Also, find people to order together with, and you can minimize the delivery charge effect (and get over the 50 dollar minimum). Sometimes, however, you will need to go to the store to get a few things. Gristede's is close, and its decent, but I wouldn't touch their produce or meat (not only a poor slection, but not so fresh looking). The better choice is probably D'Agostino's (another grocery store) or Todaro's on 2nd Ave (A small italian foods store, with a great cheese sleection, good deli/butcher, and is especially good for produce). Associated Supermarket isn't bad (and is the cheapest), but its pretty far away (23rd St.).

Sorry for the length. Hope that helps.

On the subject of housing regs, the housing packet says air conditioners must be installed by "licensed installers." I understand no one wants an ac falling out of the 13th floor, but does everyone seriously have hired installers running around putting in their ac's?

Licensed installers? That must be a joke. I have never heard of anyone doing that. Most ACs are so easy to install, that it's a non-issue. Throw it in the window, and make sure thae sash is pulled tight down on top, bolt it in, and you are done. It's not going anywhere.

FaytlND said:
Licensed installers? That must be a joke. I have never heard of anyone doing that. Most ACs are so easy to install, that it's a non-issue. Throw it in the window, and make sure thae sash is pulled tight down on top, bolt it in, and you are done. It's not going anywhere.

Yeah, that's been my experience in the past, thanks for the info.

calvinandhobbes said:
Hey superkiwi, congrats!!!

So far, we've gotten a bunch of housing stuff (sign up for Rubin!), some healthcare stuff, financial aid, and some random patent law and etc. crap. It's actually quite a bit, so i suggest you do it all once you get it.

The most important thing for me was the orientation handbook because it explains pretty much everything, including orientation week, which is gonna be friggin rad. Here's the PDF of it

http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/orientation/ORIENT~1.PDF

You can sign up for the orientation week events here:

http://www.med.nyu.edu/studentaffairs/orientation/registration.html

Hope that helps! And congrats again! :thumbup:

- Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff, you are awesome! Thanks so much for all that info. Do we all have email addresses yet? When/how do we find out that info?

Now, to find an air conditioner...

superkiwi said:
Spaceman Spiff, you are awesome! Thanks so much for all that info. Do we all have email addresses yet? When/how do we find out that info?

Now, to find an air conditioner...

Our e-mail address were on a little sticky on the back of our orientation pamphlets. I'm sure it'll come along with the rest of your stuff.

FaytlND said:

Hey FaytlND,

What are the window demensions? A standard AC with expanders to fit should do right? Also, hows the outlet for the AC...is it just a regular 3 prong outlet? Thank for your help!

I worried about that too, but mine is just a normal Frigidaire unit and no problems with the fit. Outlet is the normal 120V three prong. I don't think any units under 12000 BTU need the 240V plug.

hrm, i still haven't received my acceptance packet (snail mail within new york should not take 4 business days! i am trying to be patient though :) )... i was wondering where an academic calendar could be found? like, when do we have winter vacation, etc.? my parents are trying to plan a trip, but i can't find that kind of calendar on the website - do we get one with the packet? thanks!

superkiwi said:
hrm, i still haven't received my acceptance packet (snail mail within new york should not take 4 business days! i am trying to be patient though :) )... i was wondering where an academic calendar could be found? like, when do we have winter vacation, etc.? my parents are trying to plan a trip, but i can't find that kind of calendar on the website - do we get one with the packet? thanks!

Here's the calendar http://www.med.nyu.edu/registrar/calendars/06-07.html

2nd year here,

Just to ease worries, everything in my room is illegal under NYU standards. I have a super NASA microwave, large fridge, giant size freezer, plasma screen TV, 8 million BTU air conditioner, a wide screen laptop, a desktop computer with a crazy sounds system, blacklight, a strobe light, and many more energy wasting items. No one is going around policing so enjoy the unlimited energy while it lasts.

blz said:
2nd year here,

Just to ease worries, everything in my room is illegal under NYU standards. I have a super NASA microwave, large fridge, giant size freezer, plasma screen TV, 8 million BTU air conditioner, a wide screen laptop, a desktop computer with a crazy sounds system, blacklight, a strobe light, and many more energy wasting items. No one is going around policing so enjoy the unlimited energy while it lasts.

What's your room number? I'm NYU police. You're busted. Not really. :laugh:

On a side note... I just got a 5300 BTU Kenmore air conditioner from sears and when I looked at the box at home, it said anything up to 5700 BTU is for a maximum room size of 100 sq. ft. Are they just trying to make people buy more expensive units? Or am I gonna live in perpetual sweat dreams?

Hey guys, anyone apply for more Stafford loans? They sent us that form if we wanted to request the additional suggested funds. I sent mine in but im still waiting for them to get back to me. I need that money if I want to eat this semester!

Hey guys, did anyone else waive their insurance coverage? That 1500 charge on my bursar bill is starting to bother me since I dont know how long it will take to clear. Anyone else concerned?

Hey, sorry to add to the finaid q's and not answer them, but I got my fin aid award the end of June via email, but never got anything else in the mail. I got in off the waitlist in early June, so I figured it would come later, but I've called a few times, and still have no info on any of my loans, etc... I did get a bill for 23,000 though! Do you guy/girls think it's okay to wait to deal with this stuff until Monday? I definitely did not pay the bill, but I'm getting a little nervous!
-M

Lip-
Maybe call the finaid office. Have you signed your MPN online? If not go to opennet.salliemae.com and you should be able to register and sign your Stafford loans.

Also, just be ready to have financial aid suck for the next four years. Remember how I said we had not received our award letters yet? One week before class starts, and still not letters. Yeah, its pretty ridiculous.

Fayt- thanks for the reply. I tried fin aid, but no call back yet. I'll try that site though, and hopefully I can just figure the rest of this stuff out next week. The admissions office said there is only one person answering calls, etc. in the fin aid office! Thanks again:)

ANd to everyone else-- see you in a few days!!!

silly question fayt, but are their mirrors in the dorm rooms, or are we gonna have to do all our grooming in the bathrooms?

thanks

calvinandhobbes said:
silly question fayt, but are their mirrors in the dorm rooms, or are we gonna have to do all our grooming in the bathrooms?

thanks

Why dont you buy a mirror when you get here? I bet you can buy a full length for less than ten bucks at Kmart.

FaytlND said:
Mine had one in the closet, but I can't say whether or not they are in every closet. My guess would be yes.

I didn't have one in my closet. I had to install my own full length in there. The only mirror I had in my room was the sink mirror.

hey-

Anybody interested in switching their Rubin housing assignment for my room in Greenberg? I'm having second thoughts about living in Greenberg my first year...

Are the mattresses they have in Rubin Hall bedrooms comfortable?

MDDM said:

I was moving in yesterday and I saw a lot of people bringing their own twin mattresses.

MDDM said:

They look like crap. I'm really glad I brought my own.

blz said:
I didn't have one in my closet. I had to install my own full length in there. The only mirror I had in my room was the sink mirror.

I moved in yesterday, no large mirror (that's fine, sink mirror works fine for me) and no desk chair either. I guess they're serious about the "subject to availability" thing. I'll ask around and if I can't get one I suppose I'll be buying one . . .