NYU Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump

Members don't see this ad.

Did you guys figure out what the dress code is like for the revisit weekend?

My plan was to initially go in with jeans, and for the play just change into business casual and back to jeans on saturday.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get the housing and fin aid packages yet?

gotdoc said:
anyone get the housing and fin aid packages yet?

I didn't get that yet... although I got a letter saying we should receive it in February.

Did anyone get a confirmation e-mail about registering for the second look weekend? I'm debating e-mailing the admissions office, but they always get so cranky when you try and talk to them...

LittleGuy said:
Did anyone get a confirmation e-mail about registering for the second look weekend? I'm debating e-mailing the admissions office, but they always get so cranky when you try and talk to them...

Nope... No confirmation here, and I submitted mine online. I don't think it should be a problem.

LittleGuy said:

Also no confirmation but I had requested a student host so I can stay for the BALSO events on Saturday and I got an e-mail from her, so there were hopefully no problems with the online registrations.

xaviera_o said:
Also no confirmation but I had requested a student host so I can stay for the BALSO events on Saturday and I got an e-mail from her, so there were hopefully no problems with the online registrations.

IT"S BALSA.

See you there. I'm coming too.
Really excited.

Do you guys know what's the Balsa event on sat night? Where are we going?
Bar? Club? Dinner? I have no clue

Just got a confirmation email that also mentioned that there is a business casual dress code in effect. There goes my plan for jeans :rolleyes:

Yea... kinda blows... so bus casual = no tie, right?

NunoBR said:
IT"S BALSA.

See you there. I'm coming too.
Really excited.

Do you guys know what's the Balsa event on sat night? Where are we going?
Bar? Club? Dinner? I have no clue

Alright then, BALSA...

the saturday night thing is dinner at negril, which should be good. i've been there once, didn't even know they had food but they have an upstairs which is more like a lounge atmosphere and a downstairs where people are mainly dancing. it's a caribbean spot so the rum drinks are supposed to be good...

i think they're trying to keep what happens after that a mystery though. there's just mention of some hot spot in that pamphlet... hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys... Something urgent came up for me and I will be unable to attend the second look weekend. It would be great if those of you who attend can give those of us who couldn't make it a synopsis of the whole thing! Thanks :cool:

MDDM said:
Hey guys... Something urgent came up for me and I will be unable to attend the second look weekend. It would be great if those of you who attend can give those of us who couldn't make it a synopsis of the whole thing! Thanks :cool:

It was fun and I got to meet my future classmates. Everyone was very socialable. I love my classmates!! :love:

Synopsis: Stop your med school search and come to NYU

BMW M3 said:
It was fun and I got to meet my future classmates. Everyone was very socialable. I love my classmates!! :love:

Synopsis: Stop your med school search and come to NYU

I second that! :p

(And if you hadn't heard, over 87 languages are spoken at Bellevue each day/month/year, depending on your source.)

They really stressed the experience you get at Bellevue, and the level of responsibility and autonomy in the 3rd and 4th year. It sounded like med students did stuff that other schools would never let them do

JSK44 said:
I second that! :p

I third it!

I never realized this thread was here before, but now that I'm an NYU convert I put a little extra effort into finding it.

For those who missed the weekend, probably the most important moment was that we got to see a video of a 25 foot long flatworm in this guy's large intestine.

Yeah, that's right, 25 feet.

Also, Dean Rey gives a lot of hugs.

And Bellevue is awesome.

And so is being in the city (nice work on the Ginger Man recommendation, FaytIND).

And if you're uncomfortable around the colorblind, well, watch out. ( :D )

xaviera_o said:

Oooh Xaviera, your infamous BALSO post! :laugh:

Awwwwwwesome. I'm delighted you guys liked it. NYU definitely seems to be the most well-rounded school out there. The only thing I regret is not being able to make it to the second look weekend. But you guys did a great job with the synopsis here. One more thing though... Did they discuss the honors program with you guys at all? I've heard people saying they want to start it this upcoming summer (before first year)... Isn't that too extreme?! Or is that the norm with this program?

MDDM said:
Awwwwwwesome. I'm delighted you guys liked it. NYU definitely seems to be the most well-rounded school out there. The only thing I regret is not being able to make it to the second look weekend. But you guys did a great job with the synopsis here. One more thing though... Did they discuss the honors program with you guys at all? I've heard people saying they want to start it this upcoming summer (before first year)... Isn't that too extreme?! Or is that the norm with this program?

They have opportunities to start the honors program over the summer... 1/2 the people there said do it if you want, the other 1/2 said enjoy your last summer. I'm with the latter group and will be going to the beach (or as we say in jersey: "down the shore") as often as possible.

I'm not entirely sure how you sign up, but you can call the school and ask.

BMW M3 said:
They have opportunities to start the honors program over the summer... 1/2 the people there said do it if you want, the other 1/2 said enjoy your last summer. I'm with the latter group and will be going to the beach (or as we say in jersey: "down the shore") as often as possible.

I'm not entirely sure how you sign up, but you can call the school and ask.

Thanks man. Yea I'm not too fond of the idea of spending my last (or some may argue second to last) summer researching. A tour d'Europe sounds much more appealing, especially with the soccer world cup goin' on in Germany :cool:

Risa said:
Oooh Xaviera, your infamous BALSO post! :laugh:

Which is why I needed revisit weekend! I know the importance of the A now, BALSA like a liferaft in Spanish...

Glad to hear you've converted!

Risa said:
And if you're uncomfortable around the colorblind, well, watch out. ( :D )

:laugh: So funny.... ASS :p

But seriously I had a lot of fun this past weekend, and all my future classmates were so chill. I can't wait for August to see everyone again! I'll def. be heading to NYU without question

how about those housing and finaid forms....?????

I asked if besides FASFA we had to fill out other forms. Answer was NO.
So I guess that's it.

Now regarding housing, some current students said we should be receiving it soon. They said since we were all accepted first round we should not have a problem at all with Rubin Hall housing.

Regarding housing... after looking through the NYU website I found all the housing information online. http://med.nyu.edu/resci/housing/ All the forms are for our class year too, so I guess we just wait for word from NYU to fill them out and sendem in.

Thanks Bgreet.

BTW I think we know each other.
Pretty sure.
Took a cab together to the Broadway musical.
The extension was fun. You should have stayed.

Hey guys. I got the financial aid and housing packet in the mail today. I just gave it a cursory look, and I was wondering if any of you know what a suite in Rubin Hall would have? The packet mentioned that it has a private bathroom, but what about a kitchen? And if you're not married, do they randomly pair you up with a student in a suite? Are there two bedrooms in a suite or just one? Greenberg Hall sounds like it's some luxury apt. complex or somethin. It costs ~ $1100 per student and this doesn't even include electricity! I didn't get to see it during interviews, and I didn't get to go to the second look weekend.. Do you guys think it's worth it? As for the regular single rooms, a standard room in Rubin goes at $600 and a larger single room is at $640. Does anyone know the actual dimensions of both rooms? Any thoughts on housing?

MDDM said:
Hey guys. I got the financial aid and housing packet in the mail today. I just gave it a cursory look, and I was wondering if any of you know what a suite in Rubin Hall would have? The packet mentioned that it has a private bathroom, but what about a kitchen? And if you're not married, do they randomly pair you up with a student in a suite? Are there two bedrooms in a suite or just one? Greenberg Hall sounds like it's some luxury apt. complex or somethin. It costs ~ $1100 per student and this doesn't even include electricity! I didn't get to see it during interviews, and I didn't get to go to the second look weekend.. Do you guys think it's worth it? As for the regular single rooms, a standard room in Rubin goes at $600 and a larger single room is at $640. Does anyone know the actual dimensions of both rooms? Any thoughts on housing?

I stayed over in Greenberg over revisit weekend and it was def not luxury.
Although, I have to say it was nice and I could see the Empire state bldg from the bedroom window.
However, I think it costs around 700-750.
Granted, this is one bedroom in a 3bedroom apt
See link above to housing.
Maybe you are referring to Skirball.
Anyway, I hope I get my packet today.
Thanks.

NunoBR said:
Thanks Bgreet.

BTW I think we know each other.
Pretty sure.
Took a cab together to the Broadway musical.
The extension was fun. You should have stayed.

Definitely did! How are ya buddy? I better see you at NYU next year. :) We had a lot of fun. I had to work otherwise I would have stayed. Rock on my Brazilian Buddy!

MDDM said:

(17x10) for larger as opposed to the smaller (14x10). Rubin hall seemed like a really fun place to stay, as you are right next to all your fellow classmates. The rooms were actually much larger than I thought they would be, and for $600/month you really can't go wrong.

MDDM said:
I hate to break it to you, but 1100/month for a studio apt is a STEAL! In Murray Hill (the surrounding area), other studios are about 2400. welcome to nyc prices...

MDDM said:
I've heard people saying they want to start it this upcoming summer (before first year)... Isn't that too extreme?! Or is that the norm with this program?

If it's something you're interested in, it's easiest to start the summer before because you have to do 18 weeks total. So it's not too bad to do 9 weeks before 1st year and 9 weeks between first and second, but if you wait to start until after 1st then you eat up some elective time or do little chunks of a few weeks here and there, makes it a bit hellacious . . .

As far as everything else, I feel like an NYU convert as well, about 80% sold at this point. My only fear is that with all the enthusiasm about 2nd look they'll have too many people want to enroll.

Oh neglected NYU thread . . . how did you drop to page 2 of the class lists? Guess everyone was gearing up for second look and now there's not much that's left to be said . . .

How is everyone gonna rank where they wanna live?
Greenberg vs. Rubin.
Does it matter or do we end up at Rubin anyway.
Is anyone looking to rank Greenberg higher, or it might be better to live at Rubin and interact with fellow 2010s.
I'm confused...

I ranked rubin higher, but specified that I would like a larger room or a first floor room with a loft. I figured since I would probably be placed there anyway, I might as well...plus I wanted to bond with other first/second years.

Live in Rubin since most of your other first year classmates will be there too. A bunch of my first year friends who are in greenburg do feel a bit out of the loop living over there.

LittleGuy said:
I ranked rubin higher, but specified that I would like a larger room or a first floor room with a loft. I figured since I would probably be placed there anyway, I might as well...plus I wanted to bond with other first/second years.

Hey Little Guy, did you write a separate letter for this?

I didn't see a form we could fill out to select one of the larger rooms...which is what I want also.

BTW, did you see the rooms that have lofted beds...I wasn't crazy about...but it does give you extra space....

I want a big room in HIGH floor...think i"ll get my wishes? :D

NunoBR said:
Did you write a separate letter for this?

I didn't see a form we could fill out to select one of the larger rooms...which is what I want also.

On the back of the form that you have to detach and mail to housing, they ask you for any comments that you have. This is where I put my requests.

NunoBR said:
I want a big room in HIGH floor...think i"ll get my wishes? :D

I don't see any reason why not, provided that you specify this on the back of the form!

same, I put it on the back of the form. i don't think i would mind having a loft, plus it would save me from having to buy a double bed...i refuse to go back to sleeping in a twin. i think it's still pretty early for housing, i would imagine we'll probably be able to get our requests.

would someone in their late 20s/early 30s be very out-of-place in the nyu dorm? are there others that old around, or would he be referred to as "that old guy"? i know nyu is a pretty young school . . .

"That old guy"!!! That is so cute. :p

sanford_w/o_son said:
seriously, i want to know! :)

:) If it counts for anything, I say NO! Early 30s is not old! (But if I smell Bengay wafting out your door and down the hall, I might change my mind).

sanford_w/o_son said:
would someone in their late 20s/early 30s be very out-of-place in the nyu dorm? are there others that old around, or would he be referred to as "that old guy"? i know nyu is a pretty young school . . .

I think it will be fine.
You'll be our buddy.

However, if don't live in the dorms, then you'll definitely feel left out and definitely like the outsider.

sanford_w/o_son said:

Hello no buddy, we're all in the same boat. Age is a nonissue here. We all get along in our class regardless of age.

second page? NO.....definitely bumping this.

Cmon everyone....

Sent my housing letter today.
Are we def hearing back from financial aid soon?

Even though I've jumped ship on NYU, I saw NunoBR fighting the good fight against the second page and felt the need to contribute.

I miss you guys! You'd better not be surprised when I visit y'all and insist on being an honorary class member. Or, class groupie. Whichever :cool: