NYU Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgreet

Dopefish Lives!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start up the thread for us. Congrats on everyone that was accepted! Now lets go raid the MSSM thread and proclaim how much better we are, continuing on the tradition of rivalry. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

where is everyone? anyone scared about the nyu administration? I hope they dont lose my deposit and letter and take away my seat!

:laugh: I don't know where everyone is... been waiting for someone to finally reply

Members don't see this ad :)
I never knew this thread existed! ... NYU represent!

"Welcome to hell." - Bogart

gotdoc said:
what kind of welcome is this!?

Not a very warm one, certainly. As far as the lack of traffic, I just found this whole subpage, so now I'll be happy to contribute . . . not that I'm 100% on NYU, but that's what second looks are for, right?

anyone's check been cashed yet? admissions lady told me they dont check for us if they recieved our deposits. that sucks, what if it got lost in the mail...we'd never know!

gotdoc said:
anyone's check been cashed yet? admissions lady told me they dont check for us if they recieved our deposits. that sucks, what if it got lost in the mail...we'd never know!
From my experiences, checks take a little while to go through around here. If a month goes by and it hasn't cleared, you may try and press the issue. However, I don't think that they would hold it against you if the check got lost.

Yea, I'm kinda worried about the whole two week deal with the check getting lost. I was told, however, that when they do receive our deposits they send us a confirmation in the mail expressing that they received it.

gotdoc said:
what kind of welcome is this!?

You're right. It should have read:

"Folks, well folks, welcome to hell folks, welcome to hell"

But in all honesty, there's no greater place on earth to spend $160,000, because you will work side by side with the best, and forever proclaim that you learned medicine at Bellevue.

Just kidding guys. You guys are going to love this school!

Members don't see this ad :)
blz said:
Just kidding guys. You guys are going to love this school!

Anatomy classes/instructors seem to scare/try to scare people at lots of places, so with the additional info from FayINT, the statement makes more sense . . . On a related topic, I'm already looking forward to the revisit weekend, sounds like it should be a pretty good time. Hope to see you guys there.

Dakota said:
Anatomy classes/instructors seem to scare/try to scare people at lots of places, so with the additional info from FayINT, the statement makes more sense . . . On a related topic, I'm already looking forward to the revisit weekend, sounds like it should be a pretty good time. Hope to see you guys there.

see you there too! I'll be the one with the permanent smile on my face: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yea, I can't wait for the revisit weekend. I'm just wondering whether I should request a hotel or not being that I'm right from Jersey... only prob is I know the whole deal is supposed to run pretty late on Friday and the last train is at like 12 pm

Oh!! Hi Friends! I didn't know this part of SDN existed!

I'm excited for Revisit Weekend too. A huge part of why I loved NYU on interview day was because of the students there -- it makes SUCH a huge part of your school experience. I can't wait to meet all of you! :p

just got the thick envelope today (i'm in texas at the moment), postmarked the 3rd!

unfortunately have no one to celebrate with here so my best friend (who's in PR) and I am celebrating together via IM. Whatever it takes right?

I reallllly want to bring my full size bed to school with me. Do you guys think thats dumb?

gotdoc said:
I reallllly want to bring my full size bed to school with me. Do you guys think thats dumb?

is there enough room for it?

gotdoc said:

I'm bringing my full sized futon w/ me to school. All dorm beds can be disassembled w/ the right tools, and be stored in a corner or under the futon. Thats what I plan on doing... gotta sleep in comfort

A lot of people opt to bring in full sized beds. If you do, I would suggest trying to get one of the larger rubin rooms (17x10) as opposed to the smaller (14x10). It costs an extra 40 a month, but i definitely think its worth it. I do know people in the smaller rooms with full beds, and they will fit but be prepared to have it take up a good amount of your room (Full beds are about 55"x75", so that gives you an idea).

I have one of the single beds, but plan on getting a full this spring (I live in a larger room). Its not terrible, but when my g/f comes to visit it does prove to be a bit uncomfortable. The way I am planning to do it is building a mid sized loft to put my dresser and refrigerator underneath, which should generate quite a bit of room.

Also, before you move in you have the option of telling them what furniture you want. Each room comes with a bed, desk, dresser, and closet. You can keep any, all, or none, and they will move what you don't want out of the room. If you wait until after move in, they probably will charge you to move the stuff.

Furthermore, there are some other suggestions. You are allowed to paint your room. The walls are a boring off-white, and a little color can help. If you plan on doing this, I suggest doing it right when you move in. Its a pain to have to move stuff one you are already settled. Next, carpeting is a good idea. So just like in undergrad, if there is somewhere you can get remnants cheap, do it. Carpet is not the most convenient thing to buy in the city. Next, you will NEED a window A/C unit....especialy in the summer. Some people try to get by without them, but very few have made it long. You are allowed a 6000 BTU max unit, so keep your eyes out for any deals. Funny thing, you actually use them in the winter too. The heating system can get a bit screwy, and I have not stopped using mine all year. Some people will be selling used ones when you get here, but they go quick (same goes for refrigerators). I was of the mind that I liked to buy both of those items new, so I knew I had some sort of warranty.

I also spent the money on a midsized refrigerator (about 350 here in the city) that has a separate freezer. Its about 4ft tall, 2 ft wide, and 2/5 feet deep. The footprint is not much bigger than other small ones, but its quite a bit taller. Its proved to be a great investment, becuase not only is the bigger refrigerator great, but the freezer is invaluable. (They do provide large community freezers in each kitchen, but its so much easier to have your own.)

If anyone has more questions, or wants to see a room, PM me and I can help you out. Or of course you can wait till second look weekend. Either way. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone, just booked my plane ticket. Tried to call the office to make hotel arrangements last week, but no one's gotten back to me. Anyone else have the same problem?
Also I don't know if they got my deposit, which makes me a little nervous.

Any ways, congrats to everyone on their acceptances. Are you guys excited...? because I've been in heaven ever since I got the letter in the mail.

hope to see you all at the revisit - say hi before then if you want.. so we know each other a little before we get there :)

Here's another thing I'm kind of worried about.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle finances in med school? I know that's a really broad question. To make it a little narrower.. is there any way to avoid spending $224,000 for NYU? Do they give decent grant money that you don't have to pay back? Or does anyone know of any other ways to reduce that scary number?
I was trying to look for the average debt per student online, but couldn't seem to find it.
Sorry to be a party pooper and talk about money, but it's a pretty huge concern for most of us, right? :)

For some reason the average debt for NYU graduates from the MSAR that I read was only $90,000 which seems ridiculously low given the tuition cost but when I asked earlier, people generally said that there was little grant/scholarship money that was given out. Honestly I'm a bit worried about the whole managing debt thing too while in school. The plus side that I look at is that there are hundreds of other students that have already been through it already and if they made it through I'm sure I can too. On a side note, I didn't realize that the rooms were that big. They looked deceptively small on the day of the tour (but then again I only looked into one for a couple of seconds).

So who's planning on going out after the show during revisit weekend? No point in wasting a perfectly good night in nyc...

Strange how "up" and "down" in this instance mean the same thing . . . yeah, I've been up for too many hours . . .

bgreet said:
For some reason the average debt for NYU graduates from the MSAR that I read was only $90,000 which seems ridiculously low given the tuition cost but when I asked earlier, people generally said that there was little grant/scholarship money that was given out. Honestly I'm a bit worried about the whole managing debt thing too while in school. The plus side that I look at is that there are hundreds of other students that have already been through it already and if they made it through I'm sure I can too. On a side note, I didn't realize that the rooms were that big. They looked deceptively small on the day of the tour (but then again I only looked into one for a couple of seconds).
Yeah, the debt situation can prove to be tough. I would venture to say that the NYU average debt number reflects the fact that many people that came here before AMCAS refelcted a demographic that was rather well-to-do. Hence, students had parents, etc. helping to pay for school, and keeping debt down. I know that my parents are helping me a bit, and I am still going to walk out of here with about 180k in debt.

Bottom line is, if you want to manage it, it won't be a problem. The key, which has been told to me by more than one attending, is to live like a resident during the first few years after you get a attending position. Use the money to pay down your debt. Where it can get tricky is if you start spending like crazy because you have money for the first time. Best idea is to suck it up for a few years and set yourself up for later. It can get trickier too, with a family. however with solid planning, it can be done.

And yes, debt is a scary thing. But many have done it before, and its not impossible. Just remember, no one gets into medicine for the money. You will make enough to pay your debt and be happy. Medicine's real benefit is the job stability, as people will always need doctors.

Finally, the dorm rooms can seem bigger or smaller depending how you organize them. Efficiency is the key. The measurements do sound a bit big, but the space goes quick. but for 600 a month in the city, I am not complaining.

As a side note, if you guys are planning to go out after the show, I highly recommend a bar called Ginger Man. Its ont he way back from the theater distrct, and has about 30 beers on tap, as well as a huge selection of other interesting stuff in bottles. Its also a good size place to hang out with a larger group of people. If clubs are your thing, i wouldn't know much about that, as I can't stand them. I try and stick to bars if at all possible.

So I wont look dumb hauling a full mattress during move in day?

gotdoc said:

Haha I'll be picking on you :D

Then you'll get to pick on me when I complain about my small bed later on :smuggrin:

gotdoc said:

I'll be hauling in my full size futon so feel free to laugh at me too :p

BMW M3 said:
I'll be hauling in my full size futon so feel free to laugh at me too :p

If you insist... hehe

Fayt how are the kitchens and bathrooms that we all share?

bgreet said:
Fayt how are the kitchens and bathrooms that we all share?

Yea.. and what are the limits to having your own mini-kitchen in your room?

Also another kind of dumb question. Someone I know applying for the phd program at NYU was talking to some phd graduate students and was told the attrition rate is very high and competition amongst the students is crazy. How much truth is there in these statements? I was always under the assumption neither was true (especially with the first two years being P/F).

To answer both questions:

1) The kitchens are a bit larger than a large room, so maybe about (15x17). They have 2 stove tops with 4 burners each, one oven, and 2-3 microwaves, and a large sink. There is also a large, upright community freezer in each kitchen. It also has table/chairs for eating. As far as having your own mini kitchen, no one will care (unless you are starting fires). I think they tell you no microwaves in the room, but I have never seen that enforced, as many people have them.

As for bathrooms, it depends on the floor. All of the bathrooms have 2 shower stalls, and 3 toilet stalls. On the 12, 13, and 14th floors, there is a washer/dryer. On every other floor, there are stalls with urinals in place of the washer dryer. All bathrooms are unisex. Also, there is a large laundry room in the basement with like 6 washers and 8 dryers.

2)As for the attrition rate, I have gotten the opposite opinion. The school graduates something ridiculous like 99%+ of matriculants. This is actually true for many med schools, as they do everything to avoid having people leave. But I don't really feel any negative competetive drive. No hiding library books, etc. In fact, people email out study guides they make up for tests. I have no complaints about the collegial atmosphere here.

bgreet said:
Also another kind of dumb question. Someone I know applying for the phd program at NYU was talking to some phd graduate students and was told the attrition rate is very high and competition amongst the students is crazy. How much truth is there in these statements? I was always under the assumption neither was true (especially with the first two years being P/F).

This tends to be true of certain graduate disciplines/schools (economics at Chicago comes to mind) but as the previous poster said, is not the case at all with medical school. Once into medical school people tend to persevere.

FaytlND said:
All of the bathrooms have 2 shower stalls, and 3 toilet stalls. On the 12, 13, and 14th floors, there is a washer/dryer. On every other floor, there are stalls with urinals in place of the washer dryer. All bathrooms are unisex.

I'm almost reluctant to ask, but are all bathrooms well-ventilated and deodorized? Do you ever come out of the shower shivering 'cuz it's freezin' cold? I would imagine that, in a well-to-do medical school like NYU, all this is taken care of. But you never know...

MDDM said:
I'm almost reluctant to ask, but are all bathrooms well-ventilated and deodorized? Do you ever come out of the shower shivering 'cuz it's freezin' cold? I would imagine that, in a well-to-do medical school like NYU, all this is taken care of. But you never know...
One whole (large) wall of the bathrooms are windows, and there are automatic deodorizers on the walls. I have never had a problem with stench. As for being cold, I would say that its not a problem. The heat in the building is a bit overactive, which isn't the best for dorm rooms, but does help when showering.

The worst part of the coed bathrooms is when you first realize that girls poop too! Once that gets out of the way, it's all good.

:laugh: So that was the biggest transition into med school, huh?

FaytlND said:
I second that. Its a bit odd at first. Social constructions are weird.

Yea it also took me some time to realize what those white bins were by the toilet.

Hey. Girls poop flowers and fart potpourri. :p

Are you guys SURE the bathrooms are co-ed?!?! I honestly don't think I can think of any other place that has co-ed bathrooms.

BMW M3 said:
Are you guys SURE the bathrooms are co-ed?!?! I honestly don't think I can think of any other place that has co-ed bathrooms.
Unless there are hidden bathrooms somewhere, and all of the girls I see getting in the shower, etc. are misinformed, then yep, co-ed bathrooms. Its actually not as big of a deal as I thought it might be. The only complaint I have is that girls do not pick up there hair from the shower drain, at least the ones on my floor. It gets irritating.

FaytlND said:
Unless there are hidden bathrooms somewhere, and all of the girls I see getting in the shower, etc. are misinformed, then yep, co-ed bathrooms. Its actually not as big of a deal as I thought it might be. The only complaint I have is that girls do not pick up there hair from the shower drain, at least the ones on my floor. It gets irritating.

Well then ... I'll challenge ANY girl on my floor to a farting contest! :laugh: