NYMC vs. Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJ vs. NYMC

• TJ

Votes: 51 81.0%
  • NYMC

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters

nananananana745

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was hoping I could get some opinions on this choice. As it stands right now, I would choose NYMC of all my current acceptances. However, I'm on the High priority Waitlist for TJ. If I were to send a letter of intent and get off the Waitlist, I'm assuming I would have to take it and forgo my acceptance at NYMC. So my question is should I go for trying to get into TJ, or just stick with NYMC?

A little background about myself, I've lived in southern suburbia my whole life and have never lived up north or in a big city. My big plan is to move back to the south either for residency or to practice.

NYMC
Pros
-suburbia feel with the options to do rotations in Manhattan
-strong match list, especially with touro schools
-went to 2nd look and felt comfortable with the environment and comradery among the students
-have family that lives 10 minutes away from the school (aunt/uncle)
-tier 1 trama center
-dorms right on campus with decent rent

Cons
-more expensive
-because it is a small school with no undergrad, really lacking in infrastructural support
-not much to do near the school unless I want to go to Manhattan

TJ
Pros
-less expensive
-strong match list
-many hospitals within walking distance for 3/4th year rotations
-faculty seems to really care about well being of students. They purposely have tests on Fridays so that students can blow off steam for the weekend
-many community service outreach programs
-strong infrastructure because of attached undergrad

Cons
-higher cost of living
-no family or connections to philly, would essentially start all alone
-never lived in a big city before, I don't want my acclimation to the city to interfere with my studies
-didn't get to go to 2nd look, wouldn't really know much about the school/student life outside interview day (and we all know I was worrying about the interview instead of paying attention)

Members don't see this ad.

I think Jeff is undisputedly considered the better school (though NYMC isn't bad). It's especially nice that you don't need to travel to your clinical sites as you do with NYMC.

Philly is great and it's actually kind of a smallish city and easy to digest, especially south Philly. This coming from someone who thinks NYC is too much. Philly is relatively cheap, easy to walk around, and has plenty of residential feeling areas. It would be a fun experience and the name recognition could help you get back down south.

Reactions: 1 user
I interview at both and loved both (also slightly biased b/c I chose SKMC to matriculate to). NYMC I absolutely loved, and the whole west Chester area was amazing, but to me Jeff is a more well-known school and it's location in Philly is tough to beat. Both student bodies were great though-super nice and normal, with NYMC seeming like it was closer-knit because of it's location.
Going through your pros/cons list you are missing a couple of things for Jeff. Jeff's ER is a level one trauma center, and has a helipad. Also, up until two months ago Jeff had no undergrad, and still is a school that focuses on health care (pt, ot, rn, md schools). The undergraduate affiliation is with Philadelphia U, but it really changes nothing from the Jeff side of things. Living at Jeff is definitely higher, although you don't need a car for the first two years. I loved Jeff's second look (feel free to PM me for specifics) and a great thing about Philly is that traveling to other cities like NYC or DC or Boston in crazy easy. Good luck with traffic day, and let me know if you have questions about Jeff!

Reactions: 1 user