NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kaikai128 said:
I was higher in both categories, but not outside of a normal standard deviation.
you'll find out there are some that are higher and some that are lower. I was higher than both of those stats as well. I also know a few people that had pretty good MCATS in my class as well (>=31)

Members don't see this ad.

Robz said:
you'll find out there are some that are higher and some that are lower. I was higher than both of those stats as well. I also know a few people that had pretty good MCATS in my class as well (>=31)

Theoretically speaking, if an applicant’s GPA/MCAT is a right at or a bit above their average, getting an interview is very probable at this point (granted LORs, and other things are ok), right?

frank51 said:
Theoretically speaking, if an applicant’s GPA/MCAT is a right at or a bit above their average, getting an interview is very probable at this point (granted LORs, and other things are ok), right?

Its a big class. ~220 so I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say that your statement might not be so far off. I believe if your offered an interview then you have a good chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Robz said:
Its a big class. ~220 so I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say that your statement might not be so far off. I believe if your offered an interview then you have a good chance of getting in.

Sounds good! Thanks

I am trying to find out specifically how NSU handles financial aid for those students who are in the HPSP program. I have tried to email the financial aid office, but I guess they don't want to respond. I know that each individual school deals with HPSP differently, so I am trying to figure out exactly how they handle it.

Specifically, how much are you still eligable to get in Stafford loans above and beyond your scholarship? Do they only count what is paid directly to the school as scholarship, or do they include the stipend in this figure?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

kaikai128 said:
I am trying to find out specifically how NSU handles financial aid for those students who are in the HPSP program. I have tried to email the financial aid office, but I guess they don't want to respond. I know that each individual school deals with HPSP differently, so I am trying to figure out exactly how they handle it.

Specifically, how much are you still eligable to get in Stafford loans above and beyond your scholarship? Do they only count what is paid directly to the school as scholarship, or do they include the stipend in this figure?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I don't know about NSU, but at one of my interviews I was told that the maximum amount of subsidized Stafford loan one can get is $8500. BTW, do you automatically become a state resident after attending school for one year in Florida?

frank51 said:
I don't know about NSU, but at one of my interviews I was told that the maximum amount of subsidized Stafford loan one can get is $8500. BTW, do you automatically become a state resident after attending school for one year in Florida?
I was told that at every school it is giong to be different. It depends on wether or not they are going to count the stipend and book reimburstments as part of the scholarship or not. If they count all of this, I don't think you can get any stafford at all. It is really frustrating that the financial aid office will not answer their phones or reply to emails.

If anyone who goes to NSU knows specifically about HPSP let me know.

frank51 said:
BTW, do you automatically become a state resident after attending school for one year in Florida?

no instate tuition for anyone attending as an out of stater, even after being in FL for 1 year.

Fin-Nor said:
no instate tuition for anyone attending as an out of stater, even after being in FL for 1 year.

I believe that the only school that offers this is the NJ school.

kaikai128 said:
I was told that at every school it is giong to be different. It depends on wether or not they are going to count the stipend and book reimburstments as part of the scholarship or not. If they count all of this, I don't think you can get any stafford at all. It is really frustrating that the financial aid office will not answer their phones or reply to emails.

If anyone who goes to NSU knows specifically about HPSP let me know.

Check out the National Health Service Corps as well. You can practice anywhere in the country and deal is as sweet as the military. It's much more competitive, but worth a shot.

iliacus said:
Check out the National Health Service Corps as well. You can practice anywhere in the country and deal is as sweet as the military. It's much more competitive, but worth a shot.
I am already in the AF--and have no plans on doing anything else. I just need to know what is giong to happen with financial aid...if anyone knows anything about this, please help me.

Ok guys, don't kill me for saying this! But did any of you actually find time to work as an m1 or m2?...thanks

DoctorTiff said:
Ok guys, don't kill me for saying this! But did any of you actually find time to work as an m1 or m2?...thanks

lol...i doubt it

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. Time for work depends upon your level of neurosis and study habits. I was able to make some extra cash teaching ACLS/PALS with the EMS Division. That schedule usually involved a time committment of 12-20 hours a month maximum. A PA friend of mine managed to pull some shifts at a local ED as did some nurses who've gone through the program. Close to full time employment is absolutely insane and probably detrimental. Considering how heavily weighted board scores and rank is when applying for residency, it benefits us all to work solely at the M1 and M2 academic curriculum. It's all about balance (and how poor you are!)

Good luck-

DoctorTiff said:

One of our classmates does a shift at a bennigans/chilis type of place on fridays.

Rob, I'm gonna have to say now that you got off pretty easy with your OPP guinea pig experience...

Because Andrew really got the "bad end" of Dr. Patterson in lab yesterday :eek:

What was going on under that white coat??? :scared:

Funny stuff :laugh:

Pegasus52082 said:
Rob, I'm gonna have to say now that you got off pretty easy with your OPP guinea pig experience...

Because Andrew really got the "bad end" of Dr. Patterson in lab yesterday :eek:

What was going on under that white coat??? :scared:

Funny stuff :laugh:

ok.....now you need to share with the rest of us....

Anyone else have an overwhelming urge to transfer and get the hell out of this school????????? I mean, the administration could work with us a little.

I have two friends in medical school and they have three afternoons off each week, with class till 3 or 5 on the rest of the days. anyway, maybe i just hate school.

I feel like --> :confused: :mad: :sleep:

Maybe we should keep this type of stuff on the Y! Group. The '09s have already paid their deposits. No need to scare 'em. Things could change. :rolleyes:

-NS

NO! I think you should post what is going on, things don't really ever change, do they. You guys should be letting us know everything that is going on, it helps us prepare and make informed decision.

Doc 2b said:
NO! I think you should post what is going on, things don't really ever change, do they. You guys should be letting us know everything that is going on, it helps us prepare and make informed decision.
Well then the only thing I would have to say is I FULLY REGRET the fact that I thought the attendance policy wouldn't be a "big deal". Don't get me wrong, I still like the school. If anyone here is from another school, can you describe here a bit about your schedule?? do you also have class till 5pm 3X/week. and then the only days we have off it seems like we are going to IGC.

Nshorty, I do think we should keep some of this on Y group. but at the same time, I am so frustrated, among so many others. I just remember when some of our upperclassmen were trying to tell us that the administration sucks and this and that........and I defended the administration and the school like no other.........but now, I have flipped the script and can say the admin sucks. We were trying to be serious at Dean's hour today and all those two speaking did was laugh and joke around like nothing's wrong.

I also thought that even if the admin does suck, "who cares, it won't affect me". anyway, i'm done venting...............and to all the 2009's, keep in mind that we have our endless 2 month streak of exams coming up, so i'm venting a bit more than usual. sorry.

HoodyHoo said:
Well then the only thing I would have to say is I FULLY REGRET the fact that I thought the attendance policy wouldn't be a "big deal". Don't get me wrong, I still like the school. If anyone here is from another school, can you describe here a bit about your schedule?? do you also have class till 5pm 3X/week. and then the only days we have off it seems like we are going to IGC.

Nshorty, I do think we should keep some of this on Y group. but at the same time, I am so frustrated, among so many others. I just remember when some of our upperclassmen were trying to tell us that the administration sucks and this and that........and I defended the administration and the school like no other.........but now, I have flipped the script and can say the admin sucks. We were trying to be serious at Dean's hour today and all those two speaking did was laugh and joke around like nothing's wrong.

I also thought that even if the admin does suck, "who cares, it won't affect me". anyway, i'm done venting...............and to all the 2009's, keep in mind that we have our endless 2 month streak of exams coming up, so i'm venting a bit more than usual. sorry.

I hate to say I told you so but have to. Trust me, not much is going to change. There are several people at the top of the food chain and until they leave, our school won't adapt. There are 2 things you can do: (1) save yourself by finding another school to transfer to and (2) warn the others so they don't make the same mistake.

tempressDO said:
I hate to say I told you so but have to. Trust me, not much is going to change. There are several people at the top of the food chain and until they leave, our school won't adapt. There are 2 things you can do: (1) save yourself by finding another school to transfer to and (2) warn the others so they don't make the same mistake.

I don't post much here...used to back in the day, but as a 1st year here at Nova, I'll give my opinion so the people who might be coming can get one more perspective.

What has happened here over the past few days started with people scanning in for attendance at a certain class, and then leaving before the class was over. At the end of class, the professor, who happens to also be an admnistrator, passed around an "attendance quiz" to verify who was present for the lecture. so those who swiped in and left, didn't get to take the quiz. A couple of days later, the class gets an email informing us that 40 people swiped in and left, and that disciplinary action was going to be taken.
Today, at the dean's hour, where the class meets with the dean for an hour, this was brought up, the students were venting they're dissatisfaction with the attendance policy and how its not good for some to be in class all day, etc. The dean and his assistant basically laughed off our concerns and essentially said piss off, you're just a bunch of kids that don't know whats good for you. The attendance policy is good, and thats what you get, end of story.

Its hard to understand the stress of this attendance policy unless you're here, living it. We're in class, realistically, from 30-32 hours a week, 8-5 most days, and they expect you to be there ALL the time. If not, this sort of disciplinary action can be taken. No sure exactly what it will be, but its not gonna be good for those 40 people. Now imagine being in class, sitting, trying to pay attention, for that long, then going home or to the library to study for 4-5 hours a night. When do you have time for excercise, family, grocery shopping, leisure, etc? Almost never...

There is a one size fits all idealoglogy here, as someone brougt up during the deans hour today. The attendance policy doesn't, and never will, be good for everyone. The administration refuses to recognize that, and its very frustrating. It causes a lot of animoscity (sp?) b/t students and the admin.

I personally, can't stand it, so I'm in the process of transferring to another school. I'm not getting the best education because I don't learn that much being in class. I mean, I get something out of lecture, but having to be there all the time just doesn't work...I've got other stuff to do. And the school for some reason can't recognize that.

At this school, you will feel like you're in 6th grade again. Attendance, suprise sign-in sheets. If you get in trouble, you're sent to the principles office. There are 40 y/o students being treated this way. It is a very conservative and backwards attitude.

My personal feeling is one of great dissapointment. I love the environment here, I've made good friends, I'm a huge beach bum...but my education is too important to me. I would under no circumstances recommend this school to anyone, except those that always go to class anyways. Remember though, this isn't undergrad when you had 2 hours of lecture 3 times a week, which is totally do-able. This is over 30 hours, and it definately wears on you. Voicing your concerns seems to do no good, and its very frustrating.

Anybody that has anymore questions, please feel free to PM me.

turkdlit said:
We're in class, realistically, from 30-32 hours a week, 8-5 most days, and they expect you to be there ALL the time. If not, this sort of disciplinary action can be taken. No sure exactly what it will be, but its not gonna be good for those 40 people.

I don't think much disciplinary action will be done. (also stated kinda by the dean in deans hour)

I think it was in reaction to multiple...and multiple people scanning in and walking out of Dr. Martins lecture right in front of him. Good grief, when an assistant dean is giving the lecture you might want to stay. When an administrator is addressing only half the class its going to be wondered....where is the second half?

I don't quite think this is the forum to vent on. Its one thing to vent on the Y! group...its another to go off on here. It seems like a poor choice and not as constructive.

Pure and simple, in regards to this manner, we all signed the form for the policy. I understood this when I came here and I knew what I choose. Of course I was fortunate to sit on multiple acceptances and I picked NSUCOM. I had many reasons but some main ones for me were location, tuition, and rotation sites. I understood I'd be in class a while but I also happen to know I am good a lecture learning.

I will state I am actually pretty happy with things at the moment. I really am. I do understand the fustrations of my fellow classmates with the concern of class time. I agree that I wished I knew about some classes being until 5pm at night. I don't think it would change my decision but I would have liked to know.

The weeks do change with the amount of hours your in class...now for the m1's (I'm unsure of the M2's) for example next week I am in class 28 hours. I am out at 5 on monday, 3 on tuesday, 3 on wednesday, 12 on Thursday (optional review for neuro in afternoon though), and 12 on Friday.
The week after I am in class 28 hours again according to my schedule. I get out on Monday at 5pm (we were out at noon but had a class added from 3-5), tuesday at 3pm, wednesday at 3, thursday at 3pm (but 1-3 is neuro lab which is easy going at at own pace...can be much quicker if your good ~30 mins), Friday out at noon.

I am just giving some examples of the times I am in school. There are some additional factors like which CP group your in which affects times or your IGC dates which can vary depending on your doctor and clinic. You also have the ability to miss up to 20% of any given class (save OPP lab). Which I will use when i need it.... for studying or whatever.

If your wondering my lifestyle for school....it consists of going to school....packing a dinner in the morning cause after class I go to the library. I stay there until at least 8:30-9:30 when I go home. There I work out and talk to my gf on the phone. I try to get to bed before midnight which truely I have had trouble doing. Somedays I change it up or move it around to get more study time in. I am pretty burnt around 10ish for anything though. Especially, if I had been studying since 3pm or so. My weekends are spent catching up or gearing up for a test. save of course time I used in the happy pursuit of watching football on television! WOO!

Like I said I'm pretty happy...especially since I wear shorts all the time when I am out of school and its warm around here. I do wish i could spend more time at the beach but then again its medical school and I know I was getting myself into this. I wish I had more time but all my friends that went through medical school say this.

I just wanted to get more information out cause these are things I would have wanted to know.

Robz said:
I don't think much disciplinary action will be done. (also stated kinda by the dean in deans hour)

I think it was in reaction to multiple...and multiple people scanning in and walking out of Dr. Martins lecture right in front of him. Good grief, when an assistant dean is giving the lecture you might want to stay. When an administrator is addressing only half the class its going to be wondered....where is the second half?
I agree, it is extremely disrespectul to do that, especially in front of an assistant dean. If I were Dr. Martin I would have also made a big deal out of it. My issue really isn't the attendance policy, as we all knew what we were getting into when we signed the contract. My issue is with the amount of hours we are in class. I know many other schools probably don't have as much class time scheduled as we do. but anyway, to all the newcomers, I still like the school a lot, don't get too discouraged by what we're sayin. It's just frustrating sometimes when you have so much going on and you have to sit in class until 5pm.

robz, calling your cousin suzy at night doesn't count as a girlfriend..........well, maybe in Iowa it does. just kiddin bro. :)

HoodyHoo said:
I agree, it is extremely disrespectul to do that, especially in front of an assistant dean. If I were Dr. Martin I would have also made a big deal out of it. My issue really isn't the attendance policy, as we all knew what we were getting into when we signed the contract. My issue is with the amount of hours we are in class. I know many other schools probably don't have as much class time scheduled as we do. but anyway, to all the newcomers, I still like the school a lot, don't get too discouraged by what we're sayin. It's just frustrating sometimes when you have so much going on and you have to sit in class until 5pm.

robz, calling your cousin suzy at night doesn't count as a girlfriend..........well, maybe in Iowa it does. just kiddin bro. :)

I totally agree with you hoody. Like I said before I'm pretty happy...hell its freaking warm out today and I'm going to go enjoy a very small bit of it before I have to go study all day long. Yeah...its 73..clear skies and sunny. I refuse to be totally cooped up all day on a day like this. I think I'm going to hang outside and read neuro and physio.

its so sweet......to do that. I just lay back and smile. especially since the south (where I'm from at one point) had an ice storm yesterday. MUHAHAHAHHAHAH.

Oh, and I believe that you have something mistaken...you forgot that I have been to Iowa...and seen the corn....and the corn....and the plains...and the corn. I know that a cousin there means a sheep....I know you have "seen" lots and lots of your cousins.....buts its ok. we're all friends here....

j/k man :)

HoodyHoo said:

I heard this same complaint about the administration, but from a MSII's father. He was a DO interviewing me for another school. The doc was neither an alumni for the interviewing school or an alumni of NSU. He went to a mid-western DO school in the 80s.

This came up since I'm holding an Class of '09 acceptance. I really looked for reasons he would knock NSU, but couldn't really see a major one since his son is attending NSU. Since he was just an interviewer with the DO school where we met, he really will not benefit from my attending.

Why do we not hear these comments from the student tour guides or others we bump in to while on campus? Is it a small % of the people that feel this way? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Please don't flame me, I know NSU is an great school. It just seems that NSU may be overly rigid and lack administrative level concern for the students.

Please inform me, sans flamethrower.

Hey Guys,

I know I shouldn't take what some of you are posting very harshly and I really do appreciate the honesty. However, I'm sure all you guys remember the time before you started med school and all the optimism that you had with your chosen school. Its disheartening to here some of the comments and dissatifaction among the students. I think that most if not all of us that have chosen NSU (among other offers) are very happy where we are headed but after reading some of these posts I think only time will tell. I know that medical school will be hard, but I hope I can begin it with the right frame of mind ( right now I think that entails a little less time on SDN).

Appreciative of all the info,...good and bad.

Future M1

I agree with the above post, it has made me look closer before i decide where i'm going. I'm wondering, is this disatisfaction just a small portion having a bitch sesion? I know that there are several students who are just inheritenly unhappy no matter where they are in every class, and they are usually vocal. But this is really making me rethink things. I almost feel that having a choice is a curse.

Couple things here. First off there is a good concensus of people that are both annoyed at the way policy is handled and also on the other hand are quite fine with things. I do hear both sides.

Quite simply medical school is tough... I'm beat cause I went to the library this morning and just got home an hour ago (7pm). I have a major exam every week this semester save my spring break and another about a week after that. This is what I knew I signed up for.

Now....there is some venting going on and hopefully we will be constructive on getting more of our concerns taken care of.

I'll put a positive note on here about the school since there was some venting going on. I truely think that I had some of the best anatomy and histology instruction around. Dr. Conover and Dr. Dribin have a great way of teaching you the material. I personally don't think that I could have had better instructors. I give props to them and Dr. Tu for spending a lot of time helping out the students in the lab and on the exams. Now we have them for neuroanatomy and its tough as balls but I am happy to have them for it. Dr. Conover spent about an hour with my small group on thursday going over arteries, circle of willis, and spinal cord crosssections on the wall...then I went to the prosection lab and Dr. Dribin did a quick and dirty review of some of the major concepts on the exam. I really felt like I gained a lot out of that. So....that is a major positive for me about the school. Histology was cool last semester and there is a DVD set that helps you totally out. Of course I got creamed on my final (it was my last) so I lost my A....but I liked that class a lot too. Plus, you go to lab do your thing...get your work done...and if you don't want to review for the day (which I suggest) your done.

OrthoFixation said:
Why do we not hear these comments from the student tour guides or others we bump in to while on campus? Is it a small % of the people that feel this way? Doesn't seem that way to me.
Well, the reason is twofold. First is that we are told that we have to be positive on the tour. Yet we can be completely frank during lunch. Second you will and can see people that have their opinions on the tours and if you took a moment to ask a student what they think. Personally, though I went to the university of tennessee, university at albany, and now medical school and I think that every single school sans maybe one or two on my interview schedule had at least one student say don't come here! :) he he he. There is a grumbling....and I think it is from stress, tiredness, and feeling ignorned on some things.

OrthoFixation said:
Please don't flame me, I know NSU is an great school. It just seems that NSU may be overly rigid and lack administrative level concern for the students.

Oh I agree! I still love NSU. My mother asked me if I would still pick it and I would. For the record I was accepted at other schools (MD/DO) but in osteopathic school I had the choice of KCUMB, CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM and turned down interviews at DMU, TUCOM, and PCCOM. So, I had a good choice. My honest opinion is that I think that students know by now how to best study and handle themselves. I'm a lecture learner...I know that. Thats me. Other's arn't and this may be the only school they got into...or they wanted to live near south beach...or they thought they might be a lecture learner...who knows...... its multiple ideals. There just seems to be communication differences at times. In the end I am pretty happy where I am. I'll tell it to you like I see it too.

OrthoFixation said:
Please inform me, sans flamethrower.
I'm here to answer questions....no malice intended....

Oh...and one other thing I love about NSU is the students and the fact everyone here helps one another. Like notshorty is a fiend on helping out with anatomy videos last semester or other students who post note packets. There is a large nongunner atmosphere. I love for break time cause I go to school with some pretty damn cool people.

OmedDOC said:
I know I shouldn't take what some of you are posting very harshly and I really do appreciate the honesty.

I will say this here....cause its just good common sense. Don't take everythign you hear on the internet as the gospel truth...it may be true but do your own research....this post included. I try and be honest as possible.

OmedDOC said:
However, I'm sure all you guys remember the time before you started med school and all the optimism that you had with your chosen school. Its disheartening to here some of the comments and dissatifaction among the students.

You know....I heard a lot of the same things last year. Except they put the scanning policy in during the current M2's year last year. Its super easy to scan and personally there was no issue with (illegaly) scanning and leaving before some nonthinking students did it in front of Dr. Martin who happens to be like #2 dean at our school. Which lead to an email by him and a lot our students getting riled up. Yet I don't think much will be done by administration about it (especially after it was told we need only be concerned on the 4-5 time...that a quote).

OmedDOC said:
I think that most if not all of us that have chosen NSU (among other offers) are very happy where we are headed but after reading some of these posts I think only time will tell. I know that medical school will be hard, but I hope I can begin it with the right frame of mind ( right now I think that entails a little less time on SDN).

Its hard as balls. I have no life. I am a tired. I study all the time. Yet this is what I signed up for. Taking care of people and their lives. I'm still happy with my choice and yes I have no life but I pretend on having one...I try and go out to eat every week....I play on two intramural soccer teams right now...and I make time to do personal things like workout and such....(though its about an hour or so a day). I'm on the orientation committee and we'll make your transition into school pretty damn smooth. It jsut snowballs from there he he he he .. :)

OmedDOC said:

Keep the questions coming!

Doc 2b said:
I agree with the above post, it has made me look closer before i decide where i'm going. I'm wondering, is this disatisfaction just a small portion having a bitch sesion? I know that there are several students who are just inheritenly unhappy no matter where they are in every class, and they are usually vocal. But this is really making me rethink things. I almost feel that having a choice is a curse.

Its a curse. I know. I have said it before make a list and make sure you mark what is truly important to you. As for some students always unhappy...yes it happens everywhere. I'm hoping to make life better for us and even better for you guys.

Is this scanning incidence going to make them come down harder, how often do people get caught? I agree with you Rob, if the damn dean is giving a lecture my ass will be in class, but how hard core are the other profs? How pleased are you with your lecturors (sp?), the profs pretty cool, they all speak english? Any hard core a holes?

oops forgot one, sorry to pick your brain, but is there a forum for students to express ways to improve the system, as there are at other schools, and how open is the admin to this input. Not just talking about the attendance thing, but things like, cirriculum, how to make it better, scheduling of exams, etc.

that's enough for tonight

Doc 2b said:
Is this scanning incidence going to make them come down harder, how often do people get caught? ?

Well, thats an interesting thing. See, we have never had an issue. People scanned and left....people wore whatever they wanted to. Awww hell....they still where whatever they want to. I can honestly answer I don't truly know. There really isn't much they can do about it that I can think of. This was our first time getting caught. I don't know about indivduals that got it from scanning and going to the library (super unlikey to get caught) or more likely scanning out in IGC and they do a group session. (like my roommate....who got out of it anyway)

whats funnier is the M2 class got the same thing this last week in thier OPP class. They were missing like 60 people or so. Opps. I don't think they are going to have much done to them either. Thats my opinion.

I think they might be watching for a bit but then they will go back to their offices and forget about it again.

Doc 2b said:
I agree with you Rob, if the damn dean is giving a lecture my ass will be in class, but how hard core are the other profs? How pleased are you with your lecturors (sp?), the profs pretty cool, they all speak english? Any hard core a holes?

Most MBS professors are pretty laid back. Especially the biochem department, some think Dr. Groseclose is hard core but I like her anyways. She is nutty/nice but she doesn't like distrubtions in class.

Anatomy is a good group of people and very laid back but Dr. Yip (the fasher) is kinda harsh on his test questions and has biting sarcasm when you ask a question ..good think though he only teaches a small section on the pelvis. Tough area and I personally, learned it from netters, rohen, dr tu and dr conover from labs.

Physiology is where there is some attitude. They tend to be slightly arrogant in that department. Its a hard subject and sometimes I think they are too smart for their own good sometimes. They help the students but sometimes they get anal about thier policies (not attendance...they could care less but thing like testing and looking at completed tests). We were accused of stealing two tests last year (which will help out the new M1's immenstly!) but they didn't consider that someone maybe have accidently walked off with them. We got a stern talking to......stared at a bit....made to feel slightly bad....then we got all of ours tests back (they don't usually do that) cause it was compromised. Other than that....nothing. I will say that Dr. M (cardiac and resp) was much nicer this semester than last....maybe he read my eval :).

Histo...see my above post but I thought it was taught well and its a hard subject with lots to know. Dribin is great.

Clinical Practicum depends on your Lab instructor and I personally really like the class. Its my favorite. (of course this is the class that Dr. Martin was teaching the head, neck, and throat lecture to that started the panic this last week) Dr. Ginter runs it and I think she does a fair job.

OPP. Lectures are ok in that class. Patterson can get a little preachy but its nice to see enthusiam. Its the labs that kill me. I like em...I learn from them...but sometimes it feels like I took two hours of lab for information I could have done in an hour. If anything I think thats one of the bigger waste of time....making the labs more efficient would be really cool. Or more them at a faster pace....sometimes I feel it goes slow...maybe thats for everyone to catch up but I'm a lets get it on...let get it done...lets get to the next thing. All OPP takes though is 3 hours a week and I study a couple of days before the exam. (for the final I studied the day before and pulled a high eighties on both lab and practical)

Note : OPP and CP are not in the MBS

Microbiology has just started and I like Dr. Burris. He makes this information fairly decent and easier to learn. I heard his test is a killer though. I'll let you know. I have had immunology before and he is a decent professor. I'll let you know about the other professors when I see them.

Doc 2b said:
oops forgot one, sorry to pick your brain, but is there a forum for students to express ways to improve the system, as there are at other schools, and how open is the admin to this input. Not just talking about the attendance thing, but things like, cirriculum, how to make it better, scheduling of exams, etc.

that's enough for tonight

There is a committee to discuss these things. We have two students that currently sit on it for the M1 class and they bring up important issues. There has been progress made in these fields for the betterment of all.

I think we have to have a greater voice...and this is something that the M2s and the M1s are going to be working on in the next few weeks.

Cool man thanks for the reply I definitely feel better about things, I hope you 08ers will continue keeping us up to date. I know i got a tour when i interviewed but it is the dirty stuff i want to hear about and see how it's handled, I think that is the best way to make a decision. CK

Doc 2b said:
Cool man thanks for the reply I definitely feel better about things, I hope you 08ers will continue keeping us up to date. I know i got a tour when i interviewed but it is the dirty stuff i want to hear about and see how it's handled, I think that is the best way to make a decision. CK

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone. Some are more powerful than others. myself, hoody, turkdlit, notshorty, audatous, docinspace, heed and others each have their own.....

I tend to post a bit and I'll keep up the info as much as I can.

If your in the area and want to sit in a class or so and see it your more than welcome if that helps your decision.

I don't come on to SDN much anymore, but I figured I'd try to shed some light into the situation. NSU is a great school. It however is still young and striving to be the best, that is the best school that produces the best physicians. The administration has instilled a policy that they, or atleast someone at some point, believed will make us better physicians in the long run. The attendance policy is a pain in the butt, but it isn't a deal breaker. The facilities, professors, weather, students, and overall prestige is second to none. Now, some professors are better than others, and thats why we have evaluations. We also have a curriculum comittee that is about to go into overdrive with the current events.
The whole situation regarding attendance needs to be taken in the context that this is the first year it has been in effect. It is far from perfect and far from set in stone. The current M2s, my fellow classmates, and the future classes will be essential in providing "constructive" feeback and suggestions, so that the policies afford us the best education possible. That is the common goal. It isn't to make things easier, it is to make them better. Medical school is hard, stressful, and never-ending. But it is something you have to do.
To the future M1s, don't listen to some of the venting and take it out of context. Peoples emotions are running high right now and they should be because it is all in our face right now and the system is not perfect. But you must look at the long term goals of both the administration and the students, and that is to continue to make NSU the best there is. The policy will change at some point. It won't be by leaps and bounds and it won't be over night, but it will change. Biggest thing is for you to choose the school that just feels right to you. No matter what school you go to, people will bitch about something. Its just that at NSU, we know how to bitch and we do a hell of a job at it. But we will soon get past the bitch stage and start the proactive phase, so that our classe and those after us can get the best education they can.

Sorry about writing to much.

fbdo79

Oh and Rob ..... Quit spendin so much damn time on SDN and study. I would tell you to sleep more so you don't sleep in class, but that would just give you more time to think about Patterson molesting you.

:laugh:

Ok, I love the students and SOME of the teachers here. My school has limitless potential.

At the moment I am disgusted and disheartened by a lot of the bullsh&t that all of you are now aware of.

I am confident that we will be making lasting positive changes in the weeks and months to come. I will continue to post my honest opinions, and if I am not satisfied that this school is making sufficient progress, everyone will hear about it.

I am paying too much godddamned money to be this confused. Med school or not. I could be paying in-state tuition elsewhere...but everything happened for a reason and I'm willing to do what I gotta.

If you're sitting on multiple acceptances and all this is scaring you, it probably should. You'll have problems everywhere, but don't take this decision lightly!!!

'nuff said.
NS

Robz said:
Everyone has an opinion. Everyone. Some are more powerful than others. myself, hoody, turkdlit, notshorty, audatous, docinspace, heed and others each have their own.....

dude, where's my name? no love. :(

Thanks all you NSU MS's. I appreciate your frank and honest input. No school is perfect and I'm sure all student groups have something to moan about, no matter the school.

There are many issues I'm considering, mostly with tuition, academic environment, cost of living & housing, and public education for my son. The climate and beaches are pure bonus!

Good luck with your academics. :luck: I can see the spirit of cooperation on this forum just like I felt it while on campus. Cheers.

hey sup guys, i've been reading your posts with interest. i'm probably going to be going to nova dental school starting in aug. do u guys know, does this same crap go on there? i've talked to some current dental students, and i havent heard similar complaints. i was wondering if it was something specific to the med school or is it a school wide thing?? thanks for any input, ha btw, one of the big deciding factors for me is that nova is building a state of the art gym thats going to be finished around the time we start. that should help things out. thanks guys

omar

OmedDOC said:
Hey Guys,

I know I shouldn't take what some of you are posting very harshly and I really do appreciate the honesty. However, I'm sure all you guys remember the time before you started med school and all the optimism that you had with your chosen school. Its disheartening to here some of the comments and dissatifaction among the students. I think that most if not all of us that have chosen NSU (among other offers) are very happy where we are headed but after reading some of these posts I think only time will tell. I know that medical school will be hard, but I hope I can begin it with the right frame of mind ( right now I think that entails a little less time on SDN).

Future M1
Trust me, I shared your optimism and excitement this time last year. As an applicant, you don't realize the schedule and time demands of mandatory attendance. Again, I do like this school, weather, everything else. If we were even in class for one hour less per day, that would be awesome.

It just sucks to see that other school start class at 8:30 or 9, and then get out by 3 or 4, whereas we start at 8 and get our at 5 many days. Your first semester isn't that bad though, only this semester it seems like we are in class a lot. But I am fearful because the M2's have told me they are in class till 5 almost everyday. sucks. anyway, i'm not trying to persuade anyone not to come here, it's a great school, probably one of the best for clinical skills, but if you don't like being in class, you might have problems.

HHOO

It would be really cool if an MS2 could post a typical schedule for a week during 1st and 2nd semester of both pre-clinical years. From what i have read you guy's are bitching about being in class till 5 but that is only one day a week and there are several that you get out at noon (don't flame me, I know i'm not there, just askin) Anyone...

Doc 2b said:
It would be really cool if an MS2 could post a typical schedule for a week during 1st and 2nd semester of both pre-clinical years. From what i have read you guy's are bitching about being in class till 5 but that is only one day a week and there are several that you get out at noon (don't flame me, I know i'm not there, just askin) Anyone...
One day a week until 5pm is only during the first semester. There are no way in shape several days we get out at noon. Oh I wish that was the case. EVERY FRIDAY we get out at noon, but then again, EVERY OTHER FRIDAY we have to go to our IGC Preceptorship from 1-6pm. So essentially, we get one Friday afternoon off every two weeks. Let's see. I'll give you this week's schedule for example:

Monday: Physiology Test from 8-10am. Class from 10am-Noon. Class from 1-5.
Tuesday: Class from 8-12. Lab from 1-3 (sometimes class from 3-5 but not always)
Wednesday: Class from 8-12. Lab from 1-3 or 3-5.
Thursday: Class from 8-12. Lab and Class from 1-5pm (i think??).
Friday: Class from 8-12. IGC from 1-6 if it's your week.

Labs are tuesday and thursday, and depending on the week, there is often a 3-5pm class right after that lab.

And if you want to do an MPH, you have class from 6-9pm twice a week. I feel really sorry for those kids.

Here is a link to our schedule:

Last Fall : http://medicine.nova.edu/comsas/forms/m1.pdf

Currently: http://medicine.nova.edu/forms/M105_wintersched.pdf

Doc 2b said:
And you're right, you aren't here, so who gave you the idea that we get out at noon several times per week. I F'ing wish for real. I can post the M2 schedule if you want it also. I just got kinda depressed when I was looking at it and realized we start class in July :eek: