NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just judging from what i had seen in posts

Members don't see this ad.

Hypothetical:

Would you purchase a $200,000 car if you weren't allowed to test-drive it, it got questionable reviews, and getting out of the contract (if you later realized that it wasn't working for you) was a total beeyotch?

This school has so much potential!!! Again, I will honestly report if I feel that we're making lasting changes. Don't write NSU off.

NS

I don't think any medical school gets out at noon.

As for IGC....I have a really cool doc that lets me come in anytime I want and stay for as little or as much as I want. He knows I am a super busy student. I already have way over my patient "requirement" to see and I did that in my first 2 visits. I am done with my report and I will have a decent amount of days off early especially on those fridays i would have been in IGC and also while SPE's are going on after spring break. Would I like more time ...hell yeah. Am I cool with the way things worked out for me? oh super hell yeah.

Oh...BTW good job on our class for physio today...average was 83 or so.....I pulled a high 70's. &%&*#&(*$&(&$ I knew that crap too. UGH. Oh well...on to neuro this monday!

Members don't see this ad :)
NotShorty said:
Hypothetical:

Would you purchase a $200,000 car if you weren't allowed to test-drive it, it got questionable reviews, and getting out of the contract (if you later realized that it wasn't working for you) was a total beeyotch?

unfair question dude. This is the exact question I had at every single medical school i interviewed at....some students bitched more than others but they all had issues in some way shape or form. Some time in class I'll let you know about my "interesting" interview at Meharry Medical College and why I was instantly turned off of that school. It wasn't just the students it was the faculty as well. There are happy students there.....also like many people absolutly HATE the 3rd & 4th year set up for AZCOM yet there are happy people there too.....I see your point bud and I agree with you but I think its a much harder point to do in reality.

Oh and hell yeah there is serious potential.

omaralt said:
hey sup guys, i've been reading your posts with interest. i'm probably going to be going to nova dental school starting in aug. do u guys know, does this same crap go on there? i've talked to some current dental students, and i havent heard similar complaints. i was wondering if it was something specific to the med school or is it a school wide thing?? thanks for any input, ha btw, one of the big deciding factors for me is that nova is building a state of the art gym thats going to be finished around the time we start. that should help things out. thanks guys

omar

dental is its own game. Only the medical students have these "interesting" rules. (which we'll go back to our normal ways by this next week or so anyways....)

Dental students have no attendance policy but they do have to wear green scrubs in the first year. They seem pretty happy to me.

"green people"

Robz said:
unfair question dude...Oh and hell yeah there is serious potential.

Fair enough. My question could be asked about any med school. My bad.

Potential Potential Potential. It would take surprisingly little for this to be the best D.O. program in the country.

NS :cool:

NotShorty said:
Potential Potential Potential. It would take surprisingly little for this to be the best D.O. program in the country.

Barf!! NSU is at least 2, ....no...maybe 3 MIs away from being the best DO program in the country.

The conclusion I've come to is if you do the majority (if not all) your learning in lecture, NSU would be great. If you learn any other way, NSU stinks. Do you know Dr. Morris (that's right, the same one the M2 auditorium is named after) deducts 2 percentage points from your final grade for every HOUR of his class you miss? There is a WRITTEN sign in sheet for EVERY HOUR. Did I mention his class is the MOST IMPORTANT CLASS YOU'LL EVER TAKE IN MEDICAL SCHOOL??? It's true. You can't afford to miss a single class because you might fail the boards if you do. That's why attending his lectures is mandated. That's why he can subvert the entire Health Professions Division attendance policy at will. IT'S VITAL TO YOUR MEDICAL EDUCATION!!!! There is no excuse good enough to miss this class. There is no 20% allowance. Did I mention the name of the 1.0 credit hour class that you can't get a "DO" without?

Medical Jurisprudence

On second thought, it actually might be just that important of a class. Since I don't know anything about the renal and GI systems, I'm going to need a good lawyer once I graduate.

NotShorty said:
Fair enough. My question could be asked about any med school. My bad.

NS :cool:

I agree....

I do think a united front would be the best effort. We'll do the best we can do. We have to play the political game tho......

So, I have to put it on here that i give the M2 soccer team props. We were missing our starting goalie in the first half and we played like crap. So...here to you M2's!!!!!! We'll get even in the playoffs!!!

Yes, I did do 6 hours of neuroanatomy studying and still had time to play an hour of intramural soccer today!!

(Freaking M1 A group got out at 12 today...and I was in OPP lab....but it was Wallace and she was like here is how you do it...do it...here is how your treat it...we treated it....and then we got out like 20 or so minutes early...thats the way opps lab should be!!!!)

Today was a cool day for medical school.

I just thought I would add some more positive aspects. As silly as it sounds I had a great time learning about my nose and ear examinations as well as I finally figured out from renal phys why in gods name I always checked creatine levels on labs. Now I actually know the reason....

Robz said:
dental is its own game. Only the medical students have these "interesting" rules. (which we'll go back to our normal ways by this next week or so anyways....)

Dental students have no attendance policy but they do have to wear green scrubs in the first year. They seem pretty happy to me.

Ehhht. Dentals have mandatory attendance for their clinical courses; no attendance requirement for basic science courses. Speaking of their clinical courses, the D2's have two back to back courses: "Treatment Planning", followed by "Planning for Treatment." WTF??? :eek:

Pegasus52082 said:
Ehhht. Dentals have mandatory attendance for their clinical courses; no attendance requirement for basic science courses. Speaking of their clinical courses, the D2's have two back to back courses: "Treatment Planning", followed by "Planning for Treatment." WTF??? :eek:

how are they going to get through this bind. must be horrendously difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today's CP class was pretty damn cool...or at least I thought so. It would have been better if it was done in powerpoint but I have to say that patient they brought in was funny as hell.

"here's my drivers license....."

"ummm sir thats a visa card....."

Robz said:
Today's CP class was pretty damn cool...or at least I thought so. It would have been better if it was done in powerpoint but I have to say that patient they brought in was funny as hell.

"here's my drivers license....."

"ummm sir thats a visa card....."

Agree! Great lecturer, great guest. :thumbup:

Top it off with a fun day at IGC, and I'd consider this a good Friday. Even though it's now early Saturday.

NS

NotShorty said:
Agree! Great lecturer, great guest. :thumbup:

Top it off with a fun day at IGC, and I'd consider this a good Friday. Even though it's now early Saturday.

NS

I saw one patient for my entire 1.5 hour IGC experience. The rest of the time I sat with my preceptor and another doc while they negotiated a decent price on a new BMW.

The pt was good, as was Dr. Bizer. We'll get a lot of those types of lectures next year.

iliacus said:
I saw one patient for my entire 1.5 hour IGC experience.

I go from 2-5:30 and I average about 14-15 pts a day....its kinda sick how many we see....

1.5 hours is a nice short IGC though.

OmedDOC said:
Hey Guys,

IIts disheartening to here some of the comments and dissatifaction among the students. I think that most if not all of us that have chosen NSU (among other offers) are very happy where we are headed but after reading some of these posts I think only time will tell.

Appreciative of all the info,...good and bad.

Future M1

Do not be disheartened grasshopper. There's 200+ people in our class and how many do you hear ranting and raving? Much of what's been posted about the dean's hour is true to some extent. But you see, all most people did was whine and complain. Of course they're going to get tuned out. If you want change you have to be constructive about it. Go about the proper channels in the proper way. If some in our class want to transfer that's their choice and I wish them all the best. However, chances are they'll find something they dislike about their new school. I just looked at our schedule for next week. Goes like this.

monday: neuro test till 10:00am, then physio until 12.
OUT THE REST OF THE DAY
Tuesday: cLASS TILL 12...half the class has opp lab until 3, the may or may not have neuro lab until 3. Out at three...and if you're in the neuro lab chances are you'll leave way early.

Wednesday: class till 12:00 then clinical practicum lab. One group goes from 1-3 then out the rest of the day. other group comes in 3-5, which gives them a 3 hour break to study to study until it's their turn in lab.

Thursday in class till 5:00....hold my tissue I'm going to cry.

Friday: class till 12:00...IGC (get to follow around a physican and take a peak at the future profession, which yesterday I learned how to buy a BMW then split after 1.5 hours) for half the class...the other half out at 12:00.

I'm not a genius, but that's a whole weeks schedule and the only one time we're required to sit on our ass until 5 is thursday. So some days will be their until 5...Welcome to the real world where sometimes you have to be places you don't always want to be.

MY QUESTION: IF THE CURRENT NSU SCHEDULE IS TOO "CHALLENGING" WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU'RE ON THE WARDS DURING ROTATIONS OR IN RESIDENCY AND YOU'RE REQUIRED TO WORK 18 HOUR DAYS? ARE YOU GOING TO WHINE AND TRANSFER TO ANOTHER HOSPITAL?

Grasshopper, do not listen to naysayers....listen to Robz..... El Presidente.... :D

iliacus said:
Do not be disheartened grasshopper. There's 200+ people in our class and how many do you hear ranting and raving? Much of what's been posted about the dean's hour is true to some extent. But you see, all most people did was whine and complain. Of course they're going to get tuned out. If you want change you have to be constructive about it. Go about the proper channels in the proper way. If some in our class want to transfer that's their choice and I wish them all the best. However, chances are they'll find something they dislike about their new school. I just looked at our schedule for next week. Goes like this.

OUT THE REST OF THE DAY
Tuesday: cLASS TILL 12...half the class has opp lab until 3, the may or may not have neuro lab until 3. Out at three...and if you're in the neuro lab chances are you'll leave way early
Wednesday: class till 12:00 then clinical practicum lab. One group goes from 1-3 then out the rest of the day. other group comes in 3-5, which gives them a 3 hour break to study to study until it's their turn in lab.

Friday: class till 12:00...IGC (get to follow around a physican and take a peak at the future profession, which yesterday I learned how to buy a BMW then split after 1.5 hours) for half the class...the other half out at 12:00.

I'm not a genius, but that's a whole weeks schedule and the only one time we're required to sit on our ass until 5 is thursday. So some days will be their until 5...Welcome to the real world where sometimes you have to be places you don't always want to be.

MY QUESTION: IF THE CURRENT NSU SCHEDULE IS TOO "CHALLENGING" WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU'RE ON THE WARDS DURING ROTATIONS OR IN RESIDENCY AND YOU'RE REQUIRED TO WORK 18 HOUR DAYS? ARE YOU GOING TO WHINE AND TRANSFER TO ANOTHER HOSPITAL?

Grasshopper, do not listen to naysayers....listen to Robz..... El Presidente.... :D
Hopefully when you are on rotations and residency, it will be more interesting than hearing about P450, Glomerular filtration, MALT, etc.... I for one do not believe the schedule is too "challenging" as you put it. Some of our classes could surely be much harder if the professors were pricks. What I was trying to convey is that now that I'm in class a lot, I have realized I'm not a lecture learner and I really don't like being there. Thus, I try to find ways to get around it. That week was a bit lax compared to the others. Granted it is not horrible, but it could be reduced. Some of your lectures could EASILY be cut in half (Immuno). Immuno is so slow I can't but help fall asleep every time. And the fact that in OMM lab we review for like the first hour before we get on to new crap............I mean, seriously, when we sat there and felt ribs and checked for rotations in our partners' thoracic vertebra for the first hour, I about lost it. Anyway, I'm not being a naysayer, i'm just giving to facts to the newcomers so they know some of the issues we are dealing with.

And I believe we will go about this constructively, if we do anything at all. Everyone will probably get so caught up in exams that they won't even care about these issues anymore.

HoodyHoo said:
Hopefully when you are on rotations and residency, it will be more interesting than hearing about P450, Glomerular filtration, MALT, etc....
I hear you man, I didn't mean to be derogatory. I feel your pain. It's hard to see the forrest through the trees right now. We're all feeling it. This preparing for the neuro test is killing me. However, you will get pimped like a ho on rotations about things like p450, GFR, and malt. These docs have been where we're at right now. They know what you've learned and will be malignant SOB's looking to bust your bubble because the BMW dealer didn't have the almond colored leather interior their wife insisted on. Unfortanately, it's hard to tie all this stuff into clinical relavency because it feels like a 5th year of undergrad with all this science. Good luck tomorrow. :)

iliacus said:
They know what you've learned and will be malignant SOB's looking to bust your bubble because the BMW dealer didn't have the almond colored leather interior their wife insisted on.
For that much money....I'd make sure the car had heated seats too......

Oooooooooooooo....neuro.............my cremasteric reflex hurts.....

iliacus said:

OUT THE REST OF THE DAY
Tuesday: cLASS TILL 12...half the class has opp lab until 3, the may or may not have neuro lab until 3. Out at three...and if you're in the neuro lab chances are you'll leave way early.

Thanks for the advice,...REALLY! :thumbup:

Robz said:

Thinking about Patterson "manipulating" you again huh? You naughty president. But really Rob, I wouldn't keep testing your cremasteric reflex too much, cuz my momma used to say you'll go blind if you do that. Then you'll spend the next hour tryin to figure out if it is your pretectal midbrain or your optic radiations that are all screwed up and makin you blind.

:D

FBDO79

Rob said:

Rob are you trying to be like a certain former president...bill clinton? His cremasteric hurt a lot when he was president too. :D

iliacus said:
I hear you man, I didn't mean to be derogatory. I feel your pain. It's hard to see the forrest through the trees right now. We're all feeling it. This preparing for the neuro test is killing me. However, you will get pimped like a ho on rotations about things like p450, GFR, and malt. These docs have been where we're at right now. They know what you've learned and will be malignant SOB's looking to bust your bubble because the BMW dealer didn't have the almond colored leather interior their wife insisted on. Unfortanately, it's hard to tie all this stuff into clinical relavency because it feels like a 5th year of undergrad with all this science. Good luck tomorrow. :)
Very True, can't wait to be "pimped". and thank you conover for another enjoyable test :mad:

HoodyHoo said:
Very True, can't wait to be "pimped". and thank you conover for another enjoyable test :mad:

this neuro **** as easy as his regular anatomy stuff. i do love getting nailed from behind though :laugh:

Hey guys, I'm starting at NSUCOM this fall. Are any of you 2008ers considering the OPP Fellowship program, or do you know anybody that's in it? How hard is it to get in?

Sirius Black said:
Hey guys, I'm starting at NSUCOM this fall. Are any of you 2008ers considering the OPP Fellowship program, or do you know anybody that's in it? How hard is it to get in?

I've heard it's competitive. Lots-o-students spend time in the OPP clinic shadowing docs. The fellows work their a$$ off. I just got treated by one of them today and she told me they're there from 9am to 7pm almost everday.

The fellows have their resumes in the syllabus for OPP.

Did I say resumes? I meant laundry lists of accomplishments including awards, scholarships, offices held, published research, clinical experience, etc.

Getting a fellowship is no cake walk, but of course it's possible.

NS

Hey guys I'm getting a list of Apartments together that i"m going to visit while down in a month. Are there any that you suggest, I have a dog, so it has to be pet friendly. I read Stickyboy's thing and it has a couple. I want to be within a 5 min drive in the AM.

a rough week for many out there with immuno and public health.

To those of you that are worthy....and it should be all of you. I say...

ITS FRIDAY!!!!

GO GET A FREAKING DRINK!

GO TO THE BEACH!!! ITS 80+ FREAKING DEGREES OUTSIDE!

LET BIOCHEM SLIDE FOR A DAY!!!!!

I am. Let the fun begin.

i just wanted to say that i luv robz. el presidente.

Robz said:
Let the fun begin.

SIR, YES SIR!

After doing an *awesome* job on the Public Health midterm yesterday, I chose not to attend Physiology (I am well within my 20% limit) so that I could take a much-needed nap by the pool for an hour.

Then I had lunch and went to IGC for the rest of the afternoon. Fun as usual.

Topped it all off with a night at the Hard Rock Casino, which is less than halfway between school and downtown Ft.L.

Is this med school or heaven? :rolleyes: Ok, that was stretching it a bit! :laugh:

NS

I heard stories about the hard rock night clubs and the amount of fun you all had. I was a bit jealous until someone said girls got in free and guys paid 20 bucks!!!!!

the robbers!

Anyway, just letting you know I spent the day at the COSGA meeting here in Ft. Lauderdale and it was a good time. It goes the whole weekend but our student government reps really do put forth some of our thoughts and wonders. This group does a lot for the osteopathic community and its great to see such good students from around the nation.

ppl usually post books for sale on bulletin boards. or via mailing list.

you dont need most of the books, but i do suggest costanzo for physio and netters and photo atlas.. that's about it.

There will be PLENTY of time to pick up some books.

I would wait until you find out what you actually WANT to get.

I bought only what I read.

For the fall semester I got BRS Gross Anatomy, Rohens, Got a free Netters through SOMA (one of the best deals ever), Lippencott's Biochem (even though you don't need it to do well in classes), and my clincial diagnosis book that I believe is VERY well written. Oh, and I agree the Costanzo text and the BRS are freaking GOLD man...freaking gold. I highly recommend them.

oh forgot to mention,

almost every book is on reserve at the library. I choose to read my books before I bought them, if your going on the cheap thats a good way to test the waters.

oh yeah, i forgot about that one robz. dont buy netters cuz you get that when you join soma, which you will want to do for the old test packets.

75$, join a club, get a shirt, get a book, get loads and loads of old test.

worth it.

Fin-Nor said:
oh yeah, i forgot about that one robz. dont buy netters cuz you get that when you join soma, which you will want to do for the old test packets.

75$, join a club, get a shirt, get a book, get loads and loads of old test.

worth it.

I am pretty sure it was more than 75.....

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could tell me around what time do you actually recieve your loan funds (late july/ early-mid aug...). I am just asking because I am in the process of buying a condo and I need to plan out how many months of mortgage I need to have from now till then. Please help..

THANKS!!

OmedDOC said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could tell me around what time do you actually recieve your loan funds (late july/ early-mid aug...). I am just asking because I am in the process of buying a condo and I need to plan out how many months of mortgage I need to have from now till then. Please help..

THANKS!!

I think the answer was in these messages from last year but I'm not going to go look through them :)

I got my money the first week of august. It was Orientation Week. I may have gotten it a day or two eariler but it was all the way at the beginning of school. Also it was this time as well that your Florida Residency was determined. I got my instate tuition after I already recieved my financial aid.

CONDO FOR SALE

3150 West Rolling Hills Circle
Walking distance to NSUCOM
2 bedroom 2 bath
Partially furnished
Sceened Deck overlooking Golf Course
Community Pool & Clubhouse
June Occupancy
Asking $162,500
Call 954-625-6567
e-mail: [email protected]

please do not put your silly advertisements on here....thats what the other boards are for....

Robz said:
I am pretty sure it was more than 75.....

oh my bad... binge and purge, just like all the other information we've learned.

maybe it was 115.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Its the neuroanatomy final!!!!!ALRIGHTY!

This is it. No more Dribin. No more Conover. No more dildo model jokes. Then its the BEACH PARTY! Yeah! Take that other schools in the snow....BEACH PARTY!

Also if you look. After next week of hell and spring break....we tend to get out a lot of days around 12 and add to the fact that it will be almost april then we'll have only about a month of classes left in our M1 year. How cool is that!!!!

Lets go beat up on some neuro!!!!

wow no one has posted on here since my neuro post.

Crazy.

Anyway, I got SUPER lucky on my OPP practical.

Muscle energy a lumbar....diagnose C7-C5....Muscle energy an OA joint....wham bam thank you mam! If I would have gotten counterstrain I would have had issues.

Now my life revolves around virology...which I hadn't really busted my butt on yet. UGH. At least I got to sleep in today!

spring break is almost over, back to the grind tomorrow. +pity+

I just have to say medical missions rock.

There is nothing like driving down the road in a VERY small taxi drinking a large beer after doing clinical work with people who can't afford it in a clinic that has half a roof, a dog wandering in it, and dirt floors at places. Yeah buddy!

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to do one, go. It is an enlightening experience. Its close to the mission of the school too. Doing giving care in rural areas that need it and provideing some assurance to those that normaly don't have it. I really did have a good time and I got to play dentist for a day (pulling teeth yeah!), surgeon for a bit, casting, and general primary care in a second language is always fun!

Robz said:
I really did have a good time and I got to play dentist for a day (pulling teeth yeah!)

so how's it like to be a green person for a day?