NHSC 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since the application underwent unique changes this cycle (eliminating certain requirements, adding more scholarships) and we’re approaching the end of July, it’s safe to assume at this point that the usual timeline for stuff the past couple of years won’t apply this year. Maybe credit checks happen in August around the same time finalists are chosen? Maybe finalist won’t be chosen till end of August? Who knows, this is all new territory 🤔

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Since the application underwent unique changes this cycle (eliminating certain requirements, adding more scholarships) and we’re approaching the end of July, it’s safe to assume at this point that the usual timeline for stuff the past couple of years won’t apply this year. Maybe credit checks happen in August around the same time finalists are chosen? Maybe finalist won’t be chosen till end of August? Who knows, this is all new territory 🤔
Did they say they’re giving out more scholarships this year? I definitely missed that if so!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey again, I must apologize for being an agent of chaos and speculation regarding if NHSC had extra funds for more scholarships this year. I read that information in an offline source in the spring of 2023. It appears that may be incorrect.

I have learned my lesson Dr. good people of SDN. I will not speculate anymore without proper receipts. Pre-matriculation has been a long summer break for me and I have become lazy with my citations.

I have been digging around for HRSA (the federal agency that oversees NHSC scholarship program) budget for Fiscal Year 2023. It seems I finally found it here: https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hrsa/about/budget/budget-justification-fy2023.pdf

Details for FY2023 HRSA budget for NHSC start on page 82 of the PDF. The table on page 89 seems to list the number of awards for NHSC Scholarship program, and perhaps it will justify the silence? TBD?

As always, I wish you the best of luck!

Sorry Comedy Central GIF by South Park

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey again, I must apologize for being an agent of chaos and speculation regarding if NHSC had extra funds for more scholarships this year. I read that information in an offline source in the spring of 2023. It appears that may be incorrect.

I have learned my lesson Dr. good people of SDN. I will not speculate anymore without proper receipts. Pre-matriculation has been a long summer break for me and I have become lazy with my citations.

I have been digging around for HRSA (the federal agency that oversees NHSC scholarship program) budget for Fiscal Year 2023. It seems I finally found it here: https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hrsa/about/budget/budget-justification-fy2023.pdf

Details for FY2023 HRSA budget for NHSC start on page 82 of the PDF. The table on page 89 seems to list the number of awards for NHSC Scholarship program, and perhaps it will justify the silence? TBD?

Okay so we discussed this before on Reddit, and I ended up emailing them and getting this response: “please be advised 150 new scholarships will be awarded than previous years.”
Obviously, she could have just been wrong in her response to me, but maybe we are missing something. Don’t give up hope!
Link to Reddit thread:

Okay so we discussed this before on Reddit, and I ended up emailing them and getting this response: “please be advised 150 new scholarships will be awarded than previous years.”
Obviously, she could have just been wrong in her response to me, but maybe we are missing something. Don’t give up hope!
Link to Reddit thread:

not sure about this because it does say that a lot of their funds will go towards funding 2021/2022 scholars (which are a lot) that might be why less awards are going to be given out /: really upsetting

• Sad
It's fun to speculate but don't give up hope. We all made to this far there are plenty of other opportunities for us!

Nobody but HRSA knows what the cards hold.

They did say they expect to award 10% of applicants with the scholarship. If I recall correctly (no reciepets dont come at me lol) they said the same thing pre-covid when 250 were awarded. Meaning our odds may be no less or no worse. Judging by this forum and reddit engagement w/r/t NHSC SP - engagement seems way down vs. previous years!

Don't abandon hope! There are plenty of other great govt funded alternatives like VAs HSPS too!

This is up on the portal right now:

• Please excuse the inconvenience, but the site will be down for scheduled maintenance from 6:00 PM to approximately 8:00 PM ET on Wednesday, July 26, 2023. For more information or questions please contact the HRSA Call Center at 1-800-221-9393.

Hello, much like everyone in this thread, I have been anxiously waiting to hear back, constantly checking this thread, and I thought I would share some resources regarding applicant metrics. I know there was some discourse earlier about the amount of awards given out, etc. While, I think we should all just hope for the best, if you like looking at statistics, HRSA has a page with different excel sheets and it shows the different programs and how many applicants submitted vs how many were awarded and even breaks it down by state (for each of the professions). Hope this helps someone out while we continue to wait. (Sorry if this is old news...)

Here's the Link (I reviewed the NHSC SP Scholar Pipeline and NHSC SP Applicant Metrics data sheet): HRSA Data Downloads

1690767814589.png

1690767832908.png

1690767851734.png
I really wish I understood how this worked. The data in the budget justification matches for 2021, but not 2022. Was there maybe a grant that wouldn't be counted in their budget that allowed them to award more? I know this isn't important, but it bothers me that all the numbers give us different answers lol

As "fun" as it is to speculate on what's going on, the truth is none of us really know. So it's better to just wait and see than keep trying to guess what *may* be the reason for this or that. I feel like it just causes additional anxiety that might not even be justified. Not addressing anyone specifically, I'm just saying.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe the reason for the delay:

A good read. Thanks for sharing. Congess has been trying to pass funding for NHSC for a very long time. September 30th is coming fast. This seems to corroborate the dismal projected amount of awards for FY2023.

Fiscal year 2024 starts in October 2023, so I feel like its unlikely it would change their award amounts for this year. It's crazy to know the whole program is in jeopardy without further legislation.

I hope our elected officials get their act together fast for both patients and future HCWs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called them last week and the person I was on the phone with mentioned that they had already sent out “Confirmation Of Interest” emails to the first round of finalists.
Well, I guess there is always next year.
I just called and the interest form was only for the loan repayment application. Applicants for the scholarship have not gotten any interest from confirmation. And they told me that this year HRSA is awarding 150 scholarships this year.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
I just called and the interest form was only for the loan repayment application. Applicants for the scholarship have not gotten any interest from confirmation. And they told me that this year HRSA is awarding 150 scholarships this year.
does anyone know if 150 is more or less than all the previous years?

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if 150 is more or less than all the previous years?

I saw a post on Reddit asking about this and someone in the replies called and confirmed with them that it was an additional 150 to the previous year! Who knows how accurate this is but hopefully this is the case

Starting to think we may actually have to wait until September 30th

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
It looks like they are starting to send out confirmations of interest for the finalists!

Received this today so next steps are happening. I was told technically this makes you an award winner. There is still no credit check on my account though.
That's super exciting! I'm very happy for you, congrats!

Received this today so next steps are happening. I was told technically this makes you an award winner. There is still no credit check on my account though.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 165
Congratz, that's extremely exciting! Pretty sure there's still one more step involving a countersignature but from what I've read, pretty much everyone who is a finalist gets the scholarship.

Hello all,

I am a current NHSC scholar who just graduated from PA school. I just want to give y'all a warning of the risks of accepting this scholarship before you do so in the next few weeks. Finding a site is near to impossible and unless you are single or with/married to a very flexible partner it's horrible, getting in touch with people from the scholarship is just as hard as finding a site (you never get to talk to a real person unless you call and the people on the phone literally just read what is online ver batum they aren't even HRSA employees), and if you try to breach your contract they can charge you 3 times the amount of money you were funded, plus interest AND you have to pay it back in 1 year or you could lose your license, sent to a debt collector or have wages garnished. Just wanted to put this out there for y'all to know before getting too excited. I felt so blessed getting this scholarship not knowing the crap I would have to deal with to get out of it if I needed to. There is always a catch and knew it was too good to be true! Just a little fyi to everybody.

congrats!! under what program did you are you apply for?
Hello all,

I am a current NHSC scholar who just graduated from PA school. I just want to give y'all a warning of the risks of accepting this scholarship before you do so in the next few weeks. Finding a site is near to impossible and unless you are single or with/married to a very flexible partner it's horrible, getting in touch with people from the scholarship is just as hard as finding a site (you never get to talk to a real person unless you call and the people on the phone literally just read what is online ver batum they aren't even HRSA employees), and if you try to breach your contract they can charge you 3 times the amount of money you were funded, plus interest AND you have to pay it back in 1 year or you could lose your license, sent to a debt collector or have wages garnished. Just wanted to put this out there for y'all to know before getting too excited. I felt so blessed getting this scholarship not knowing the crap I would have to deal with to get out of it if I needed to. There is always a catch and knew it was too good to be true! Just a little fyi to everybody.
Is there anywhere to see where there are sites available?

Hello all,

I can imagine this would be true for PAs who have to go to sites under a score of 4. That's very slim pickings.

I can imagine this would be true for PAs who have to go to sites under a score of 4. That's very slim pickings.
The score is 5 for my year but the higher the score equals the higher the need. It just means that I only need a site that is a 5, being not as a high needs area, versus a higher score. Doesn't imply that I cannot work at a site that is > 5.

Is there anywhere to see where there are sites available?

these are the sites but as I mentioned to somebody below, the sites change based on if the site re-apply's to be an "active" site. I started looking after I was approved and there was a site near my hometown that is now no longer one. It is so variable and even on this website you need to make sure you are putting "NHSC active" and then the HPSA score you need to technically meet to work at the place to make sure it is an actual site you can work at. Also be mindful that if it is a hospital that is an approved site the work you do there still has to be outpatient and "primary care" focused. It's all confusing and the people who work at HRSA literally give 0 guidance.

Congrats to everyone that heard! I didn't, but that's okay. There's always next year :)
I also didn’t but there’s always still hope for this year according to previous forums! Congrats to those who’ve already heard back👏

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone that heard! I didn't, but that's okay. There's always next year :)

I read somewhere that they’re still sending out emails and won’t send rejections until Sep 30th, so there’s still hope!

these are the sites but as I mentioned to somebody below, the sites change based on if the site re-apply's to be an "active" site. I started looking after I was approved and there was a site near my hometown that is now no longer one. It is so variable and even on this website you need to make sure you are putting "NHSC active" and then the HPSA score you need to technically meet to work at the place to make sure it is an actual site you can work at. Also be mindful that if it is a hospital that is an approved site the work you do there still has to be outpatient and "primary care" focused. It's all confusing and the people who work at HRSA literally give 0 guidance.
Do you feel that you’re in a smaller area/community which is why the sites are limited? I’ve looked up the active sites for a minimum score of 19 in the greater Phoenix area and there’s 80+ locations with even greater opportunities. But this is specific to primary care physicians.

Last edited:
Got the finalist notification Monday, signed my contract yesterday, and just saw that my credit was pulled today!

Huh, just received a credit check from NHSC but haven’t received an update on my app. Still under review 🤔

Did you get a finalist notification?
Nope, which is why I find it pretty weird LOL. Most people seem to have gotten finalist notification before credit check, but I’ve gotten the credit check today without any updates. 🤔

Nope, which is why I find it pretty weird LOL. Most people seem to have gotten finalist notification before credit check, but I’ve gotten the credit check today without any updates. 🤔
Did this credit check come in the form of an email? If so, who does it come from?

Did this credit check come in the form of an email? If so, who does it come from?
I got an email from both Chase (one of my credit card lenders) and Experian. For Experian I signed up for alerts so I got it via email. The inquiry comes from NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA.

What do we put for the tax exempt option on the w4? Not sure what that means.

Is anyone else having issues logging into their account? I didn’t see any news about the site being down for maintenance and I know for fact that I’m inputting the correct password. 🤔

Is anyone else having issues logging into their account? I didn’t see any news about the site being down for maintenance and I know for fact that I’m inputting the correct password. 🤔
Did your password expire?

is it time to lose hope if you didnt get a credit check or email?
In past years, different batches of decisions were sent out. I was expecting the next batch to go out after the first round received their award decisions, but it looks like they’ve pushed the date those will be sent.