NHSC 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newolduser

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

The NHSC app opened today. Didn't see a new thread for it so thought I'd start one myself. Is anybody else applying? Looks like they went from 3 essays to just 1 this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup! I’m applying! I saw that about the essays so that should be nice. No resume either

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for my lack of google-fu, what program is this? I thought NHSC was for attendings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a higher probability of being selected the earlier we submit the application, or do they wait until after the deadline to review everyone's applications? I was told by some recipients that they wait until after the deadline to review applicants, but the NHSC portal doesn't make that quite clear.

If you are not accepted yet (on waitlist, ranked in the top half and will most likely be accepted) but around May 1 can we still apply?

If you are not accepted yet (on waitlist, ranked in the top half and will most likely be accepted) but around May 1 can we still apply?
It closes April 27th, so no, because you need to have a letter from the school you will be attending. But you could apply next year for the following 3 years!

It closes April 27th, so no, because you need to have a letter from the school you will be attending. But you could apply next year for the following 3 years!
Wait what? The letter of rec can't be from a professor from our undergraduate education?

Wait what? The letter of rec can't be from a professor from our undergraduate education?
No there's a letter that needs to be filled out and signed by the school you'll be attending... Your LoR is fine from your undergrad.

Don't forget to read the Applicant Manual! Answers all the questions and more

So I filled out the whole application, and submitted all the documents. I still haven't received the Letter of Recommendations but I did request them. Can I submit the application before actually receiving them or do I have to wait to receive them to submit?

So I filled out the whole application, and submitted all the documents. I still haven't received the Letter of Recommendations but I did request them. Can I submit the application before actually receiving them or do I have to wait to receive them to submit?
You have to wait to submit. One of my letter writers submitted today and this so what the email said:

"Dear [newolduser],

Your letter of recommendation request has been completed by [LOR Writer]. Once both letters of recommendation have been completed, you will be able to submit your application.

Sincerely,

National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program"

Hi everyone. I am still trying to get a second letter writer, and so I have not gone past the letter of recommendation section of the application and was wondering if anyone could tell me the prompt for the essay question if it is no trouble so I can start working on it in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once we request the letters of recs, regardless if the writers have submitted them, are we able to move on to the next step on the application portal or are we stuck on the letter of recommendation section until both get submitted?
You can fill everything out. Once the requests are submitted, you can move on. Don't forget to reach out to your school to get verification of your admittance/good standing. I know getting that signed can also take awhile.

Hi. I wanted to know who we send the disadvantaged form to. Is it the school that has accepted us or undergrad since they have extensive info on our financial background?

You can fill everything out. Once the requests are submitted, you can move on. Don't forget to reach out to your school to get verification of your admittance/good standing. I know getting that signed can also take awhile.
Is that a form that I can find on the website so I can send it out to get signed now? I have only requested one letter of rec so far because I am waiting on responses to see who my second letter writer is going to be?

Is that a form that I can find on the website so I can send it out to get signed now? I have only requested one letter of rec so far because I am waiting on responses to see who my second letter writer is going to be?
Friends, many (almost all) of your questions can be answered by taking the time to review the Scholarship Application Guidance. Please, please read this.

Are we still able to submit a resume even though its not required for this application cycle?

Are we still able to submit a resume even though its not required for this application cycle?
There are three "optional document" choices for whatever you want to upload when you get to that part of the portal.

However, I would recommend against doing that - if they wanted the resume, they would ask for it. But if it makes you feel better to upload it, do that.

My non-academic letter of recommendation was done by a professor at my University, but she wasn't my professor. She led the service trip that I went on through my university. Can this still count or will my application be thrown out? Should I add supporting documentation explaining the situation?

Is anyone else's recommenders having issues submitting the letter of rec? My recommender is saying they did not receive a new link to submit the letter.

For the required documents that we have to upload that our program has to sign, does it all have to be done by hand then scanned or does only the signature have to be hand written?

Is anyone else's recommenders having issues submitting the letter of rec? My recommender is saying they did not receive a new link to submit the letter.
Did they say that they didn't accept electronic signatures?

Did they say that they didn't accept electronic signatures?
Do you mean a digital copy of a handwritten signature? Or by electronic signature, do you mean typing a signature out with a keyboard?

How did ya'll find a "tuition and fees" schedule? I have everything else but that

How did ya'll find a "tuition and fees" schedule? I have everything else but that
I just called the financial aid department at the school I'm going to attend and I asked them to email me a PDF.

I just called the financial aid department at the school I'm going to attend and I asked them to email me a PDF.
My financial aid office was useless. I just submitted a screenshot pdf of the school website smh

I love how all the reps give a different answer to everything. The scholarship reps are all so useless, contradicting one another.

I saw in the NHSC 2022-23 forum that students received notifications around beginning of August. Is it possible that we can hear from them before Sept. 30th? I wasn't sure if last year the notification date was just earlier than this year or not.

I saw in the NHSC 2022-23 forum that students received notifications around beginning of August. Is it possible that we can hear from them before Sept. 30th? I wasn't sure if last year the notification date was just earlier than this year or not.
They have to let you know a decision BY Sept 30th. There's a round of paperwork signing and all that jazz, so you *should* know in August, those some get credit report hard inquiries in June and know that they are at least in the running then. (This is all gleaned from a thorough review of the last 2 years of threads. I'm also an applicant.)

They have to let you know a decision BY Sept 30th. There's a round of paperwork signing and all that jazz, so you *should* know in August, those some get credit report hard inquiries in June and know that they are at least in the running then. (This is all gleaned from a thorough review of the last 2 years of threads. I'm also an applicant.)
This was very helpful. Thank you!

Has anyone gotten a credit check yet? I keep checking nervously every day lmao

Has anyone gotten a credit check yet? I keep checking nervously every day lmao

Nah! Nothing yet on my end. Trying to remind myself that my GradPlus loan credit check will be hitting soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get a credit check yet?? Last year they started on Monday 6/20 so I thought we might hear something today or tomorrow

Anyone get a credit check yet?? Last year they started on Monday 6/20 so I thought we might hear something today or tomorrow
Yesterday was a federal holiday. Rest assured [almost] nobody in the Federal government was working.

There are very few of us here this year but hopefully someone hears something soon!

Yesterday was a federal holiday. Rest assured [almost] nobody in the Federal government was working.

There are very few of us here this year but hopefully someone hears something soon!
See, I thought the same thing until I realized it was one last year as well when they got checks. Kept me hopeful throughout the day 😂 Hopefully it’s coming soon though!

See, I thought the same thing until I realized it was one last year as well when they got checks. Kept me hopeful throughout the day 😂 Hopefully it’s coming soon though!

Yes you're right BUT IT WAS THE CRAZIEST DAY EVER. Juneteenth became a federal holiday last year on the day before (or a few days can't recall anymore) at like 3:45 EST PM. So a lot of feds still had to work. My agency found out via twitter first 😅. It was like a magical snow day.

You have a crazy good memory though. I didn't even think about that!

Last edited:
How does the stipend work? Do we recieve the stipend on top of the loans we get for living expenses?