New Jersey Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swingline1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are all you NJ people? :confused:

It seems like there are only a few people who were given invites to UMDNJ Newark or Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ), where as there are TONS of people given interviews or rejections elsewhere.

Speak up! Anyone else out there applied, rejected, or interviewed at RWJ or UMDNJ? How did it go? When did you apply? Are you still waiting for an invite?

Or is everyone out there are just plain ashamed to admit they are from NJ or applied to a NJ school!

:)

FYI my gpa is 3.1, grad gpa 3.7, mcat vpbw - 9, 11, 12 Q - completed in July and I'm still waiting damit!

Maybe i need to hire Tony Soprano as my premed advisor.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been waiting on umdnjs forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
jerseeeyy represent!

i just got an invite from newark like a week ago, its the only school ive heard anything from...i havent been complete for very long though

Good luck on the interview Taylormade.

When you are there, can you find out how many people they interviewed so far and at what month is the class pretty much filled?

Also, tell the committee to stop admitting people who gives hands and dead body parts to strippers.

Gee..I wonder what his application was like (i.e. gpa, mcat score, volunteer work, and his essay on how he would like to help humanity through the exploitation of dead people.)

-who me? bitter?

Good luck on the interview Taylormade.

When you are there, can you find out how many people they interviewed so far and at what month is the class pretty much filled?

Also, tell the committee to stop admitting people who gives hands and dead body parts to strippers.

Gee..I wonder what his application was like (i.e. gpa, mcat score, volunteer work, and his essay on how he would like to help humanity through the exploitation of dead people.)

-who me? bitter?

haha man, you sound stressed

you need to go get some coldstone ice cream and relax

Good idea...im off to Meno Park.

Interviewed at NJMS last week and am in love with the school. My interview was so relaxed and non-stressed that at times I forgot I was even on a medschool interview. My tour guides seemed to really love the school and had nothing but good things to say about it and the new student housing. I did not have stellar stats either, so dont give up hope. NJMS is really interested in the whole package (as cliched as that sounds) and not overly obsessed with numbers. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Interviewed at NJMS last week and am in love with the school. My interview was so relaxed and non-stressed that at times I forgot I was even on a medschool interview. My tour guides seemed to really love the school and had nothing but good things to say about it and the new student housing. I did not have stellar stats either, so dont give up hope. NJMS is really interested in the whole package (as cliched as that sounds) and not overly obsessed with numbers. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

haha so can ya give me some tips for my big day?

Just be relaxed and have fun. Oh, and get there VERY early as parking is pretty bad. I got there at 8:45 for my 10:00 interview and there were only like 20 spots left in the assigned lot.

I haven't heard anything from NJMS and I sent in all my stuff awhile ago! Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Just got the complete e-mail from RWJ yesterday, but no interview invite yet :( I went to the open house at RWJ last year and the school seems really nice.

Woohoo, go Jersey!

I'm a Jersey resident too and they are my top choice schools. Right now I think NJMS is my first choice - I literally have heard NOTHING bad about the school.

I've got an interview at NJMS next week (26th) and an interview at RWJ October 10th. Is anyone else going to be there on either of those days?

hopster - how long did the tour last?
Edit: got another question - when did you get your package of stuff from NJMS (with parking pass, etc)? I've got less than a week and it still hasn't showed up...

Woohoo, go Jersey!

I'm a Jersey resident too and they are my top choice schools. Right now I think NJMS is my first choice - I literally have heard NOTHING bad about the school.

I've got an interview at NJMS next week (26th) and an interview at RWJ October 10th. Is anyone else going to be there on either of those days?

Edit: got another question - when did you get your package of stuff from NJMS (with parking pass, etc)? I've got less than a week and it still hasn't showed up...

You get a parking pass? You get stuff in the mail? lol

tch001- how long did it take for RWJ to send you your complete email after having everything done?

My LORs were posted a few weeks ago and I still haven't receieved that email

Members don't see this ad :)

tch001- how long did it take for RWJ to send you your complete email after having everything done?

Well, they said they'd send me a parking pass, so I'm assuming they have to mail something to me...

And I never got a complete email from RWJ, I called them up this past Friday and they said I was complete.

Hey,
I am also a NJ resident and I interviewed at NJMS on 9/11. The interview was really relaxed and then I went on a tour where we saw the entire school including the anatomy labs and a cadaver... I liked the school, the students seem happy, and I was impressed by the early clinical experience. This is one of my top choices.
I was also invited to interview at RWJ on 9/29, so I will let you know how that one goes!
Tips for the NJMS interview:
Get there early to find parking!! (I mean well before 9) and leave yourself plenty of time to avoid traffic, particularly if taking the GSP...
Bring something to read also...I had to do a lot of waiting!
Also for girls - - the floor of the hospital is very slippery! Try to bring comfy shoes to switch into...
Good luck to all NJ residents!! Go NJ! :luck:

I don't know when everything arrived, but my committee letter was the last thing that was sent and that went out 8/31. I'm really hoping for an interview invite sometime soon! :::fingers crossed::: good luck all fellow new jerseyians :luck:

If your RWJ app was completed past mid-August, don't expect an interview invite until.... around Halloween, I guestimate :( Farewell, 10/15 decision :(

The tour lasted about an hour. I received my parking pass and official invitation about a week before the interview. I wouldnt worry, if you dont get the parking pass beforehand, just park and then go get one from the admissions office.

If your RWJ app was completed past mid-August, don't expect an interview invite until.... around Halloween, I guestimate :( Farewell, 10/15 decision :(
My app probably wasn't complete until mid to late August (I don't know exactly when since I never got an email), and I just got my invite a few days ago. So, it could be sooner than you think!

hopster said:
The tour lasted about an hour. I received my parking pass and official invitation about a week before the interview. I wouldnt worry, if you dont get the parking pass beforehand, just park and then go get one from the admissions office.
Thanks for the info!

:luck: everyone!

Woohoo, go Jersey!

Does that mean you've heard bad things about RWJ? Just curious... I liked RWJ when I visited (haven't been to NJMS yet), but it's always interesting to find out what others have heard about a school...

Does that mean you've heard bad things about RWJ? Just curious... I liked RWJ when I visited (haven't been to NJMS yet), but it's always interesting to find out what others have heard about a school...
No, I haven't heard any bad things about RWJ, actually I haven't heard that much. What I have heard about RWJ tends to be along the lines of "yeah, I liked it", whereas what I've heard about NJMS tends to be something like "I really liked it, students are really friendly, everyone seems really nice, etc".

So, not so much a negative vibe from RWJ, but a really positive vibe from NJMS.

I've been complete at both schools since mid-July and have heard absolutely NOTHING except for the complete email at RWJ and I called NJMS to ensure completeness. It's been 2 months at both places...... so do you think my chances are shot at this point? Should I call again to check status?

I've been complete at both schools since mid-July and have heard absolutely NOTHING except for the complete email at RWJ and I called NJMS to ensure completeness. It's been 2 months at both places...... so do you think my chances are shot at this point? Should I call again to check status?

I believe they started interviewing after Labor Day, which was only what 2-3 weeks ago... So your chances are definitely not shot. From what I understand (this may be RWJ-specific) they really put a lot of effort into reviewing the files before they send out invites, so they may just be slower at getting them out there. Good luck to you, and don't give up hope!

I believe they started interviewing after Labor Day, which was only what 2-3 weeks ago... So your chances are definitely not shot. From what I understand (this may be RWJ-specific) they really put a lot of effort into reviewing the files before they send out invites, so they may just be slower at getting them out there. Good luck to you, and don't give up hope!

'tis true. I interviewed at RWJ last week, and apparently they take a majority of the in-staters who interview, so they look pretty carefully. Plus they generally interview only Tues and Fri, since that's when they offer info sessions. Ms. Porter was really busy sitting around at the info session and preparing invites, so they're definitely working hard at it.

They're also instituting a new system this year in trying to expedite final decisions, which they hope to be ready 2-3 weeks after the interview, though they aren't really sure if it'll work. The first adcom meeting is Sep 28, but mostly for the ED kids so they could send out decisions the next day.

When you guys were in RWJ or UMDNJ, how many students were there to interview with you all. When I vistied Vanderbilt, they only had like 5 people a day.

I am just so surprised that more people from SDN are not applying to RWJ or NJMS.

Which school is more receptive to OOSers (although NY is technically pretty close to NJ): RWJ or UMDNJ?

I applied to UMDNJ but I am still not sure if they are receptive to OOSers.

When you guys were in RWJ or UMDNJ, how many students were there to interview with you all. When I vistied Vanderbilt, they only had like 5 people a day.

I am just so surprised that more people from SDN are not applying to RWJ or NJMS.

Vanderbilt was 11 people, while RWJ was only 6. As for NJMS, we shall see =)

Which school is more receptive to OOSers (although NY is technically pretty close to NJ): RWJ or UMDNJ?

I think both schools are decently receptive to OOSers, at least more so than a lot of state schools, but I don't have the numbers with me.

i interviewed at rwj about two weeks ago. a really small group.. only two interviews on my day. the whole day was very relaxed. i think i missed out on some of the "info session" b/c everyone except me was edp so they kind of skimped on really selling the school. i guess it doesn't matter since it's my top choice anyway. now i am just waiting for 10/15:sleep:

I applied Early Decision to NJMS and I was notified by phone about 2 weeks ago that I was accepted... I also fell in love with the school on the tour... students had nothing bad at all about it, and loved so many things.

the interview there was by far the least stressfull interview ever. If your interviewer is Lonnie Wright, you are lucky. He is one of the nicest people in the world and made the interview fun. Don't go in too relaxed though, because he still asks you serious questions and expects intelligent thought out answers.

And about parking, just show up 20 muinutes before your interview and pay $5 to valet park at the main entrance at University Hospital, and walk through to the medical sciences building. I had the benefit of doing my volunteer work there, so take it from me, dont go in all stressed out over not being able to find parking. It is hellllllllllllll. $5 is wayyyy worth it for a nice stress free day.

I can't say for sure, but I'm an OOSer at NJMS from Washington State. I got my interview in early November and my acceptance about a week later back in 2004.

So what's the consensus on lag time from complete apps to interview at the NJ schools?

Is it possible to not use a car to get here? Or is it definitely recommended? I go to a NYC school so it would be great to use the PATH and then take a cab. Is that possible?

You can take the path to newark penn and then jump on the UMDNJ shuttle bus that takes you right to the campus. I did that for the first time I visited the campus, worked out pretty nice.

I'm OOS (NY) and I have my NJMS MD-PHD interview on the 25th. :D I just ironed my suit in preparation! I am still waiting on RWJ.

Hopster- is there any school ID required for that shuttle? I think I'm going to take to the PATH to Newark and the shuttle sounds like a good option for getting to the school from the station.

I added both NJMS and RWJ to my AMCAS primary Monday (still waiting on August MCAT so I'm fudging around with my school list), but I've only gotten a secondary invite from RWJ thus far. Anyone have an MSAR handy with OOS versus instate resident acceptance info? I'm a PA resident so at least it's close...Good luck to all of you with interviews!

Hello everyone
I'm a reapplicant at NJ schools... My top choice is NJMS. My undergrad GPA = 3.23 and Graduate GPA = 4.0. I have been complete since Aug 28th. However, i haven't heard anything from them? Anyone in similar situation right now or who was in this position last year...n e clue on what is going on?? Should i forget about this school? DO i have any luck with this school or anyother schools??? I have not heard from any other schools either and getting a bit nervous ... Seems like everyone is getting interview invites!!!
I'm sure there is someone out there in similar situation...please reply... Thank You!!

COngrats to everyone who is getting interview invites :)

I'm OOS (NY) and I have my NJMS MD-PHD interview on the 25th. :D I just ironed my suit in preparation! I am still waiting on RWJ.

Hopster- is there any school ID required for that shuttle? I think I'm going to take to the PATH to Newark and the shuttle sounds like a good option for getting to the school from the station.

They did not ask me for anything when I got on the shuttle, but the admissions people said that if they did, to just show them your interview invite. I think it runs about every 15min at rush hours and every 30min at other times. You can grab it at the main entrance to penn sta., which is past the waiting area with the big food place (forget the name). Its a long white bus with UMDNJ logisitical services written on the side, cant miss it. Get off at the medical school building (you'll know it because you'll turn into a huuuuge parking lot and go up to huge building). Good luck!

So what's the consensus on lag time from complete apps to interview at the NJ schools?
I've got no idea. NJMS never sends a complete email, so don't bother looking for one. RWJ supposedly sends a complete email, but I never got it.

Sorry, I know that's not really helpful.

Hello everyone
I'm a reapplicant at NJ schools... My top choice is NJMS. My undergrad GPA = 3.23 and Graduate GPA = 4.0. I have been complete since Aug 28th. However, i haven't heard anything from them? Anyone in similar situation right now or who was in this position last year...n e clue on what is going on?? Should i forget about this school? DO i have any luck with this school or anyother schools??? I have not heard from any other schools either and getting a bit nervous ... Seems like everyone is getting interview invites!!!
I'm sure there is someone out there in similar situation...please reply... Thank You!!

COngrats to everyone who is getting interview invites :)

What were your MCATs like? Im new the application process. My stats are similar but quite as good as yours. My apps were complete since JULY, and I have received no word.

Lots of people are getting invites to NJMS, but not so much to RWJ.

My suggestion is just to sit on it and keep volunteering or practice for the next MCATS.

I think most public schools tend to be geared towards matriculating 'balanced' students. You may have better luck at private universities that seems to be more open to say Masters, MBA, PHDs who may not want to be a primary care physician.

FYI - 2007-8 Official MSAR stats for RWJ and NJMS
MEDIAN VALUES
----------RWJ----------NJMS
GPA 3.68 3.61
VR 10 (4-13) 10 (5-14)
PS 11 (6-14) 10 (6-15)
BS 11 (6-15) 10 (7-15)
W Q (L-T) P (K-T)

Applied 999 (NJ-IS) 986 (NJ-Instate)
Interviewed 456 NA
Admitted 130 142

As Conan Obrien Said:

"Wellllll we got trouble my friend.
With a capital 'T'
And that rhymes with 'G'
As in "Gee we're screwed""

What were your MCATs like? Im new the application process. My stats are similar but quite as good as yours. My apps were complete since JULY, and I have received no word.

Lots of people are getting invites to NJMS, but not so much to RWJ.

My suggestion is just to sit on it and keep volunteering or practice for the next MCATS.

I think most public schools tend to be geared towards matriculating 'balanced' students. You may have better luck at private universities that seems to be more open to say Masters, MBA, PHDs who may not want to be a primary care physician.

FYI - 2007-8 Official MSAR stats for RWJ and NJMS
MEDIAN VALUES
----------RWJ----------NJMS
GPA 3.68 3.61
VR 10 (4-13) 10 (5-14)
PS 11 (6-14) 10 (6-15)
BS 11 (6-15) 10 (7-15)
W Q (L-T) P (K-T)

Applied 999 (NJ-IS) 986 (NJ-Instate)
Interviewed 456 NA
Admitted 130 142

As Conan Obrien Said:

"Wellllll we got trouble my friend.
With a capital 'T'
And that rhymes with 'G'
As in "Gee we're screwed""

Actually, it's matriculated, they apparently accept about twice as many according to U.S. News Report from a couple years ago.

NJ Med - ~2 weeks from date of completion.
RWJ - ~7 weeks from date of completion.

estimates I made.

Thank You Swingline...My MCATs are

V= 10
B= 11
P= 9
W= P

By no means scientific, it may be encouraging for some.

I did the math for the number of SDNers interviewed submitted and when from the interview feedback section.

Number of interviews reported and date of interviews:
Month --RWJ---NJMS
9--------13------ 22
10------ 20------ 34
11------ 17------ 25
12------ 17------ 40
1------- 15------ 16
2------- 9------- 16
3------- 12------ 6

Numebers suggest that the bulk of the SDN interviews are being done on Sept, Oct or November. Sizable numbers of SDNers are interviewed at NJMS in Dec.

Ergo - November-December is a critical time point for invites. If one does not receive an invite by november/december, it suggests the probablity of matriculating in NJ schools is much lower.

In other words, relax until Turkey Day.

And yes...I do have too much time on my hands.

Do they accept out of state students?

Do they accept out of state students?

I think they do accept OOS applicants, although the number is of course significantly smaller than IS people. From MSAR, i think about 25-30 OOS students actually enrolled this year for both schools. So statistically speaking, it might be challenging for OOS, but there is still a chance! Good luck! :)

Does NJMS send you something by snail mail before your interview....like telling you who your interview is with or information about how to get there? The woman I talked to on the phone sort of alluded to this sort of thing but it was a month ago when I scheduled and my interview is in a week......

Status
Not open for further replies.