New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
beponychick said:
Ill definitely come if i get accepted!!!! :oops:

underdog, i think it varies in terms of when you will hear. Some people hear as early as 2 weeks post interview, others like myself, have been waiting for 6 weeks without a word. So I think you should just hang tight and wait. Congrats on finishing the interview though.

thanks for the reply beponychick...

who was your interviewer, if you dont mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad.

theunderdog said:
thanks for the reply beponychick...

who was your interviewer, if you dont mind me asking?

Dr. David Dershewitz. He was awesome!

beponychick said:
Dr. David Dershewitz. He was awesome!

He was my interviewer at NJMS too, what a nice guy. Probably one of the reasons I left the school with a good impression...

Members don't see this ad :)
vn2004 said:
He was my interviewer at NJMS too, what a nice guy. Probably one of the reasons I left the school with a good impression...

really? yeah i loved him. how long after your interview did you hear back? i am trying to decide whether he hands his evaluation in late, or whether im just not good enough for them. he said some awfully nice things at the interview. I really thought it went well, but still nothing. :oops:

Hey underdog -- i had Dr. Fernandez mid october, and i found out oct 30th. So took little over 2 weeks for me to find out. i'm in-state btw, if that makes a difference.

Congrats GMan are you planning on coming to the luncheon?

beponychick said:
really? yeah i loved him. how long after your interview did you hear back? i am trying to decide whether he hands his evaluation in late, or whether im just not good enough for them. he said some awfully nice things at the interview. I really thought it went well, but still nothing. :oops:

i interviewed pretty early (9/30) and he actually ended the interview by saying he thought i'd hear back in a few weeks with an acceptance...couldn't have dreamed of a better first interview experience! i got the call from dean heinrich on 10/15, so i guess about 2 weeks after the interview.

seriously, though...don't let that worry you. there's a whole slew of reasons why he might have taken some time before turning your evaluation. i'm sure that the school's a lot busier now because they're in the middle of the application season and are probably bogged down with apps. are you instate or out? it might also take longer if you're not from jersey.

if he had nice things to say about you, i'm sure he had good things to say about you in his evaluation too. hang in there, i think you'll be hearing good news from them soon :luck:

vn2004 said:
i interviewed pretty early (9/30) and he actually ended the interview by saying he thought i'd hear back in a few weeks with an acceptance...couldn't have dreamed of a better first interview experience! i got the call from dean heinrich on 10/15, so i guess about 2 weeks after the interview.

seriously, though...don't let that worry you. there's a whole slew of reasons why he might have taken some time before turning your evaluation. i'm sure that the school's a lot busier now because they're in the middle of the application season and are probably bogged down with apps. are you instate or out? it might also take longer if you're not from jersey.

if he had nice things to say about you, i'm sure he had good things to say about you in his evaluation too. hang in there, i think you'll be hearing good news from them soon :luck:

I sure hope so, but im not really confident. He didnt tell me when I would expect to hear (or anything about an acceptance) but he did say some other nice things which I thought would help my somewhat poor scores. Sigh. I guess I'll keep waiting. I emailed Dr. Heinrich again with a small update, but I really do not have anything else at this point to tell him. My grades will come out in early January so I will send a transcript there, but other than that, its out of my hands. I hate that feeling. :rolleyes:

Thanks though. Are you planning on going to NJMS?

beponychick said:
I sure hope so, but im not really confident. He didnt tell me when I would expect to hear (or anything about an acceptance) but he did say some other nice things which I thought would help my somewhat poor scores. Sigh. I guess I'll keep waiting. I emailed Dr. Heinrich again with a small update, but I really do not have anything else at this point to tell him. My grades will come out in early January so I will send a transcript there, but other than that, its out of my hands. I hate that feeling. :rolleyes:

Thanks though. Are you planning on going to NJMS?

I think I'll be mulling that one over until May...

i liked njms better than rwj for a few reasons, so if i decide to stay in jerz i'll probably end up there. i think my decision to either go to a more expensive private school or stay instate will come down to $$$. since umdnj is not all that cheap for a state school, i think that i'd probably only end up going if i got some kind of scholarship from them. that's pretty rare, so i'm not banking on it. i'm still trying to learn more about student loan payments and managing debt after graduation and residency (as you might be able to tell from some of my other posts :rolleyes: ).

VN, who are you waiting/hoping to hear an acceptance from?

scneuro said:
VN, who are you waiting/hoping to hear an acceptance from?

i got into northwestern, and i'm waiting to hear from pitt. i'm not sure which of these i like better, but they were my two favorite schools that i visited.

basically i already have my main decision laid out in front of me with NU vs NJMS, and if i get accepted anywhere else it'll just be one more thing to consider.

vn2004 said:
i got into northwestern, and i'm waiting to hear from pitt. i'm not sure which of these i like better, but they were my two favorite schools that i visited.

basically i already have my main decision laid out in front of me with NU vs NJMS, and if i get accepted anywhere else it'll just be one more thing to consider.

Both are great schools, but the cost of tuition at NJMS is about 15k less than those two, which to me is substantial. I agree though, I love Chicago. I was accepted to UIC and the thought of living in Chicago is very enticing. Good luck with your decision, but I still hope to see you at hte luncheon on Jan. 6th.

scneuro said:
Both are great schools, but the cost of tuition at NJMS is about 15k less than those two, which to me is substantial. I agree though, I love Chicago. I was accepted to UIC and the thought of living in Chicago is very enticing. Good luck with your decision, but I still hope to see you at hte luncheon on Jan. 6th.

Provided I can get off from work (in the DC area right now) I'll be there, I doubt I'll have made a decision by that point :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for those that replied to my question about the turnaround time.

if you guys did not know, i am an instate nj resident.

but at my interview, i got raped with healthcare questions... very specific ones like...

what % of the US GDP goes to healthcare? what about europe? what accoutns for the difference in terms of a business sense? (and i'm a bio major with ZERO background in bussiness)

healthcare was 90% of my interview....

i think im the only one who got raped. i got interviewed yesterday, if anyone cares or is wondering.

should i worry? NJMS is my TOP TOP CHOICE!

I had an interview at NJMS around mid Nov. haven't heard anything yet. Mr. Leonne Wright was my interviewer. He's awesome! I was a little tense at the beginning of the interview esp. as it was my first but he made me relax...I'm OOS though. Good luck beponychick and underdog. Let's hope for the best

Gentle said:
I had an interview at NJMS around mid Nov. haven't heard anything yet. Mr. Leonne Wright was my interviewer. He's awesome! I was a little tense at the beginning of the interview esp. as it was my first but he made me relax...I'm OOS though. Good luck beponychick and underdog. Let's hope for the best

Mr. Wright is a good man....

I have an interview at NJMS in late December. I go to Rutgers. Anyone know if Rutgers students are at an advantage? Also, I heard there was an applicant that had an interview that lasted over 2 hours, is this a rumor? I heard it from a tour guide I am friends with. Thanks guys

Franky

frankrizzo18 said:
I have an interview at NJMS in late December. I go to Rutgers. Anyone know if Rutgers students are at an advantage? Also, I heard there was an applicant that had an interview that lasted over 2 hours, is this a rumor? I heard it from a tour guide I am friends with. Thanks guys

Franky

Did they say when was this interview?? :oops:
it might have been me

It was either Monday or Tuesday of this week? But, if you had a 2-hour interview then I guess it is possible, lol. Did you get in, by the way?

medhacker said:
Did they say when was this interview?? :oops:
it might have been me

frankrizzo18 said:
It was either Monday or Tuesday of this week

Dope!!

I was hoping you wouldn't say mon or tuesday. I guess I am officially the 2 hour interview guy.

They take at least a good 3-4 weeks to give a decision so I have not heard yet.

:laugh:

Medhacker, who was your interviewer? Was it head of admissions or someone like that?

Franky

medhacker said:
Dope!!

I was hoping you wouldn't say mon or tuesday. I guess I am officially the 2 hour interview guy.

They take at least a good 3-4 weeks to give a decision so I have not heard yet.

:laugh:

frankrizzo18 said:
Medhacker, who was your interviewer? Was it head of admissions or someone like that?

Franky

Frankrizzo I Pmed you.

Anyone know whether or not a laptop is useful or a requirement at njms? If so suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

they have wireless capability in the classrooms, so I assume u can take advantage of that. most med students dont have laptops cuz NJMS provides a pc lab for student use...but i wud def bring my own laptop if I am bored in class :-D

just curious, for those of you who have been accepted, how much are you still trying? Also, does njms care about GPA and grades for senior year, all they say is they want transcripts by Aug 1, 2006....any thoughts, thanks

can we get C's and stuff and not worry???

they will ask you for an explanation why u got a C in a science course.
they dont care about any Cs in any non-science course.
they will withdraw ur acceptance if u get lower than a C in a required course.

basically u must graduate on time, otherwise ur in serious trouble

ASDIC said:
they will ask you for an explanation why u got a C in a science course.
they dont care about any Cs in any non-science course.
they will withdraw ur acceptance if u get lower than a C in a required course.

basically u must graduate on time, otherwise ur in serious trouble

Thanks for the help. Just a couple of questions to clear up:

1) By "required" you mean prerequisites?
2) Do you think engineering classes are non-science b/c they don't count into BCPM gpa?

I have finished all prereqs and I am just finishing up stuff for my own major, but none of classes affect BCPM or are prerequisites of NJMS

Thanks for help

So, I guess nobody has heard any good news from NJMS this week? Did the admissions committee not meet this week on their regular tuesday time?

Frank

ASDIC said:
yes to both questions

frankrizzo18 said:
So, I guess nobody has heard any good news from NJMS this week? Did the admissions committee not meet this week on their regular tuesday time?

Frank

i haven't heard squat from them.

and i had two interviews with them.... one in novemeber and my second interview in december...

we should hear soon.

theunderdog said:
i haven't heard squat from them.

and i had two interviews with them.... one in novemeber and my second interview in december...

we should hear soon.

hey underdog wuz up?

was there any difference with your second interview?

did they talk about turn-around time?

Guys,

You should probably just email Dr. Heinrich. My decision was made two weeks post interview, but I found out after 6 weeks when I contacted Heinrich directly. If you have been waiting for that long, Im pretty sure the decision was probably made already. Good luck.

beponychick said:
Guys,

You should probably just email Dr. Heinrich. My decision was made two weeks post interview, but I found out after 6 weeks when I contacted Heinrich directly. If you have been waiting for that long, Im pretty sure the decision was probably made already. Good luck.

hey beponychick

since dr. h is who calls to announce acceptances and since the holiday break might start for adcoms today, do you think today is the last possible day to receive a call?

medhacker said:
hey beponychick

since dr. h is who calls to announce acceptances and since the holiday break might start for adcoms today, do you think today is the last possible day to receive a call?

Im not really sure, but just go ahead and email him. He got back to me within a day or so and was able to tell me a decision (granted, it was not the decision I wanted, but whatever). I think that the committee meets every thursday, so you may hear something tonight. If not tonight, than probably not until the next year. :luck: :luck: :luck:

he does try to play santa claus and call people christmas morning

Last edited:
I was recently called by someone at NJMS that asked me if I would be willing to attend another interview. I am interested in the school so I will be attending, but I am wondering if there may be an underlying reason for asking to be seen for a second interview? Has anyone been asked for a second interview that may be willing to share some insight (Theunderdog?)? Thanks

PolarBear04 said:
I was recently called by someone at NJMS that asked me if I would be willing to attend another interview. I am interested in the school so I will be attending, but I am wondering if there may be an underlying reason for asking to be seen for a second interview? Has anyone been asked for a second interview that may be willing to share some insight (Theunderdog?)? Thanks

theunderdog went for a second interview, I wonder the same.

medhacker said:
hey underdog wuz up?

was there any difference with your second interview?

did they talk about turn-around time?

sorry, have been too busy with the holiday season........

second interview was completely diff. as you've probably read from my earlier posts, i got raped at my 1st interview.

my 2nd interview went on for almost 2 hours. i got asked a lot of emotional questions. i cried at this interview.........

turn around time should be around 6-8 weeks.. like that secretary said...

but u never know. i believe your decision is made within 2 weeks. because they meet on the closest thursday to your interview. they just take time to process your application and figure out merit scholarship money... thats why the turnaround time is an extra 4 weeks...

ASDIC said:
he does try to play santa claus and call people christmas morning

he just did that to me, and it is the best christmas gift ever, :) :oops:

baby4you said:
he just did that to me, and it is the best christmas gift ever, :) :oops:

CONGRATS!!!...Hopefully I will see u at the accepted students lunch on Jan 6th

ASDIC said:
CONGRATS!!!...Hopefully I will see u at the accepted students lunch on Jan 6th

yes, i will be there. :D
i will pm you later to ask you some questions about the school, if you dont mind. ;)

baby4you said:
yes, i will be there. :D
i will pm you later to ask you some questions about the school, if you dont mind. ;)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great article if you're interested in a colorful look at UMDNJ (mentions Heinrich playing Santa so that get good news with family around) and whether recent scandal will effect the school (surprised I haven't seen the scandal mentioned yet on SDN)
http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-4/113548986010520.xml?starledger?ntop&coll=1

If you don't know about the scandal, see these ariticles:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...18,0,3973677.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...24,0,4386460.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

dstrauch said:
Great article if you're interested in a colorful look at UMDNJ (mentions Heinrich playing Santa so that get good news with family around) and whether recent scandal will effect the school (surprised I haven't seen the scandal mentioned yet on SDN)
http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-4/113548986010520.xml?starledger?ntop&coll=1

If you don't know about the scandal, see these ariticles:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...18,0,3973677.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...24,0,4386460.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

o there is already a thread out there bout the scandal...but it wont affect da school:)

drguy22 said:
o there is already a thread out there bout the scandal...but it wont affect da school:)

Since you are a student, would you care to share your thoughts on what is going on at the school at this time (internally) and what are the feelings of the students about this issue. Please give us an honest answer.

It may not affect the school in the long run (It's a big chance to take though) , but it sure will weigh on my decision come May 15th.

Thanks

NunoBR said:
Since you are a student, would you care to share your thoughts on what is going on at the school at this time (internally) and what are the feelings of the students about this issue. Please give us an honest answer.

It may not affect the school in the long run (It's a big chance to take though) , but it sure will weigh on my decision come May 15th.

Thanks
well..here is my take on this whole situation...

the scandal at UMDNJ has to do with top level admin who did not handle the finances properly and cheated the government outta money. So, because the main offices of UMDNJ happen to be in newark, NJMS is getting a pretty bad reputation because of this. The problem lies with the TOP level administration, not the schools administration. And also, the problem is how the school handled some if its finances, not how it provides its medical education. In fact, the LCME has just re-accredited NJMS for the full 8 years, so there arent and problems there. I know that there is some speculation that there will be accreditation problems with UMDNJ, but as far as i know; in order for a medical school to operate it only needs LCME accreditation.

scandals have happened with other schools, and they come and go. this one will soon pass as well. you should be really concerned about going to a school that will give you the best clinical training. NJMS is not goin bankrupt anytime soon, so there really isnt anything to worry bout. the people that did bad things will get da boot.