New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i dont know if any of you would know this, but imagine that my file was reviewed, but they decided to not accepted me/waitlist me post-interview. would i find this out right away? or will I have to wait for a while?

thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

beponychick said:
congratulations!!!!! that must be so exciting... i really hope i hear something. sigh... im sooo anxious.

did you by any chance drive me home??? ;)

hehe nope, but I did hear your conversation about that. :)

Also, keep in mind that they told us to expect a decision in 6-8 weeks, so try not to get too anxious just yet.

I hope you get that phone call soon!

sleep_addict said:
hehe nope, but I did hear your conversation about that. :)

Also, keep in mind that they told us to expect a decision in 6-8 weeks, so try not to get too anxious just yet.

I hope you get that phone call soon!

thanks...maybe im being paranoid... but for some reason i feel like my reviewer handed my evaluation in the same day as my interview. i dont know why i feel that way... im wondering if they already evaluated my application and just decided to wait more...

did you write a letter to them by any chance? i sent a letter to dr. heinrich recently, basically saying i would go if accepted and he thanked me for the letter but didnt say anything else.

thanks!!! and good luck. are you going to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh and one more thing... in case the phone call comes, is it from a blocked/unknown number???? just want to know what i should be looking out for :rolleyes:

Hey everyone, I am an out-of-stater but am considering applying to NJMS right now (kinda late but still possible). It is only 30 minutes away (I live in Manhattan), and one of my friends who is MS3 there loves the school. What are some major strengths of NJMS? What sets it apart from other schools in its tier? Thanks in advance for the info.

beponychick said:
oh and one more thing... in case the phone call comes, is it from a blocked/unknown number???? just want to know what i should be looking out for :rolleyes:

The number is not blocked.

I didn't write a letter, but I think it was a good idea to let them know of your interest. I imagine most applicants wouldn't be able to say they'll definitely go to NJMS if accepted.

sleep_addict said:
The number is not blocked.

I didn't write a letter, but I think it was a good idea to let them know of your interest. I imagine most applicants wouldn't be able to say they'll definitely go to NJMS if accepted.

Thanks!!! 973 area code? :laugh:

DrKitty said:
Hey everyone, I am an out-of-stater but am considering applying to NJMS right now (kinda late but still possible). It is only 30 minutes away (I live in Manhattan), and one of my friends who is MS3 there loves the school. What are some major strengths of NJMS? What sets it apart from other schools in its tier? Thanks in advance for the info.

first, the school is in NJ... the best state in the united states. and is next to the 2nd best state-- NY... (i'm from NJ, if you didn't know)

second, the programs are awesome. the residency programs are struggling, but that does not affect the undergrad education. faculty are all nice.

third, the students. very diverse. you will be very culturally-competent, not to mention you will have GREAT friends for life.

fourth, you will get to spend your 4 years with me at the school--- where I will go for sure once i get my invite.

theunderdog said:
first, the school is in NJ... the best state in the united states. and is next to the 2nd best state-- NY... (i'm from NJ, if you didn't know)

second, the programs are awesome. the residency programs are struggling, but that does not affect the undergrad education. faculty are all nice.

third, the students. very diverse. you will be very culturally-competent, not to mention you will have GREAT friends for life.

fourth, you will get to spend your 4 years with me at the school--- where I will go for sure once i get my invite.

i keep reading your name as thunderdog.

more than half the people who get accepted matriculate there...i spoke to some NJMS students last night and they love it. I cant wait to see all of you during the January open house.

ASDIC said:
more than half the people who get accepted matriculate there...i spoke to some NJMS students last night and they love it. I cant wait to see all of you during the January open house.

wait, there is an open house in january??? i didnt know about that.

I still haven't heard from NJMS about an interview! :(
2ndary Completed beginning of October: 3.25 gpa (lower BCPM though :(), 36 MCAT, decent extracurrics/LORs, NJ resident.
Also, does anyone know how NJMS compares w/ Robert Wood?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
prncvegita said:
I still haven't heard from NJMS about an interview! :(
2ndary Completed beginning of October: 3.25 gpa (lower BCPM though :(), 36 MCAT, decent extracurrics/LORs, NJ resident.
Also, does anyone know how NJMS compares w/ Robert Wood?
Thanks!

did you get an interview at Robert Wood?

I think both have great reputations.

beponychick said:
did you get an interview at Robert Wood?

I think both have great reputations.

Haven't heard from either! :(

ive been complete since september 9 or so and have not heard jack.

i called the office in late october and the admissions lady told me that my aplpicatino was just sitting there in its file!!!!! i was like wtf? is something missing?

she said no, it is just sitting here and will be reviewed soon.... i emailed dr. heinrich 4 weeks later who told me he would followup on my app... but no word from him either.

im trying to get an interview asap because NJMS is rolling and fills their class up by january!!!!!! AHHHHH

--to those who got njms invites, did u get them my email or mail, and did they send them out in the early morning or during the day? i can't stop help checking my email.

theunderdog said:
ive been complete since september 9 or so and have not heard jack.

i called the offer in late october and the admissions lady told me that my aplpicatino was just sitting there in its file!!!!! i was like wtf? is something missing?

she said no, it is just sitting here and will be reviewed soon.... i emailed dr. heinrich who told me he would followup on my app... but no word from him either.

im trying to get an interview asap because NJMS is rolling and fills their class up by january!!!!!! AHHHHH

--to those who got njms invites, did u get them my email or mail, and did they send them out in the early morning or during the day? i can't stop help checking my email.

how do you know they fill their class up by january?

because in january, they have a day where all the accepted students come and meet each other. i assume they would do this in january rather in june because most of the class is already accepted and secondly, in june, most of the MS4s will be graduated and the med cycle begins once again.

plus, another MS1 said so in another thread where i panicked and asked all these questions.

beponychick, can u please answer my invite question? see above post.

theunderdog said:
because in january, they have a day where all the accepted students come and meet each other. i assume they would do this in january rather in june because most of the class is already accepted and secondly, in june, most of the MS4s will be graduated and the med cycle begins once again.

plus, another MS1 said so in another thread where i panicked and asked all these questions.

beponychick, can u please answer my invite question? see above post.

oh damn that stinks. im sure you'll hear soon. I wonder if anyone has been waitlisted by them. Maybe ill start another thread. Just curious if most people are getting accepted there at this time or not.

hey bepony chick,

did you receive your invite by email or snail mail? if by email, did u get it in the morning or night?

theunderdog said:
hey bepony chick,

did you receive your invite by email or snail mail? if by email, did u get it in the morning or night?

it was via e-mail and I received it when I got into work on 10/18. I called right away and was able to schedule an interview for 10/20. I live in Newark, so it was not hard to coordinate travel in a day. I just had to take off work.

they have an accepted students luncheon in the first week of January

ASDIC said:

oh yikes! ASDIC do you know if anyone has been placed on the alternate list yet at NJMS?

ASDIC said:

so tell me i am wrong and that most students are not accepted before january...

i also heard there is anotehr accepted students in june...

waitlists start in late january...theres a housing day lunch in June...the food is awesome!

ASDIC said:
waitlists start in late january...theres a housing day lunch in June...the food is awesome!

what do you mean?? so those people who interview early do not get waitlisted?

beponychick said:
what do you mean?? so those people who interview early do not get waitlisted?

usually no...there will be a very few who will be waitlisted

You never have to park in an unsecured lot at NJMS unless you choose to. The student lot is open during the day, and you can park in the DOC (Doctor's office bldg) lot after hours (and it's open 24 hours a day).

If you don't have a compelling reason to take public transit (commuting from NYC) then you're better off driving to the campus.

ASDIC said:
parkingwise, the umdnj dorms will have a parking garage attached to it, so it shud be safe. but many NJMS students have told me that people have their cars stolen and broken into when parked in the regular lots.

I am not sure if I will need a car...so I will probably rely on public transportation

Has anyone received word of exactly when the accepted students meeting day is? RWJ's is Jan 6th, they wouldn't schedule them the same day, would they?

bgreet said:
Has anyone received word of exactly when the accepted students meeting day is? RWJ's is Jan 6th, they wouldn't schedule them the same day, would they?

I haven't received anything from NJMS except a confirmation of my deposit, but if you hear when the luncheon is, could someone please post it on here.
thanks!

bgreet said:
they did last year:)

What is all this about an open house in January? I got the phone call from Dr. Heinrich Sunday night (I was so thrilled I sounded like a complete fool!) but I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. Kinda still wondering if I imagined the whole thing! He really helps set the school apart. I knew he called (a nice touch in and of itself) but he went on to exlain the strengths of the school and was willing to answer any questions I still had (of course I was still stammering "oh my god!" showing great eloquence).

Beponychick and sleep_addict: I also interviewed Oct 20!

drguy22 said:
they did last year:)
Eh not cool :/ I really wanted to be able to attend all these second looks, and accepted student meetings/luncheons to help me choose. I have until May either way to choose a school as long as I put down the deposits right?

i officially got the word from heinrich that the accepted students luncheon for NJMS is on January 6th, a friday.

ASDIC said:
i officially got the word from heinrich that the accepted students luncheon for NJMS is on January 6th, a friday.

excellent....i mite give yall some tours :thumbup:

Hey guys! Just wanted to say whats up to everybody- I too recently got accepted and I've been ridiculously excited about the whole thing. To the people still waiting on schools- don't worry, it's early and there's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel! Just persevere and you'll make it.

One question- is anybody worried about how they're going to pay for med school? Does NJMS offer merit-based scholarships? I know docs. are well paid, but I'm still somewhat freaked out about the financial thing.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys. I just got an interview to RWJ. I am really really really nervous, especially since this is my first interview and i'm pretty bad during interviews. Hopefully, that will change in the next 10 days. Anyone that already interviewed have any advice for me. Any at all. Thanks in advance

John

AHHH!!! i just got an invite today at NJMS!!! my top choice school!!! i am calling tom to schedle an interview...

anyone know how far out my interview will be???/

ASDIC said:

Not cool... now I've gotta choose between the RWJ and NJMS student reception. :/ Decisions, decisions.....

djl46 said:
One question- is anybody worried about how they're going to pay for med school? Does NJMS offer merit-based scholarships? I know docs. are well paid, but I'm still somewhat freaked out about the financial thing.

Thanks in advance!

Pay? PAY?! You mean all this torture just to get in to med school and its not FREE? All joking aside, I'm definitely worried about paying for med school. I've heard your parents' income is considered when applying to loans which doesn't help. At least NJMS allows in-state tuition for most students even if they are really out of state.

ASDIC said:
usually no...there will be a very few who will be waitlisted

oh man, i am holding on to your words like nothing else!!! I havent received a phone call yet (or any letter) from NJMS but i interviewed on the 10th of october. other people have heard so im kinda nervous. :oops:

JohnH said:
Hey guys. I just got an interview to RWJ. I am really really really nervous, especially since this is my first interview and i'm pretty bad during interviews. Hopefully, that will change in the next 10 days. Anyone that already interviewed have any advice for me. Any at all. Thanks in advance

John

Hey John- I interviewed at RWJ. It's really not that bad- don't worry. The one thing I can tell you is that a couple days before the interview they e-mailed me and said I could be interviewed by a student in addition to faculty. To be honest, I didn't really want to have 2 interviews (who does?), but in retrospect I'm glad I did. The student who interviewed me turned out to be one of the nicest guys I've met at any of these medical schools, and it was great to get the chance to ask him questions. Plus, I think that interview went better than the faculty interview I had. So if they give you this option, I'd go for it. Also, RWJ likes to ask about how cultural conflicts might come into play as a physician. So be aware of that. Hope that helps!

How's this for a little adventure? I interviewed at NJMS on Oct 13th, but I informed the office that i'd be abroad in Hong Kong visiting family (i'm indian btw, not chinese - tons of indians in HK) until november 6th. So on my way back from the mainland into HK i got a phone call on my US Cell phone but denied cuz didn't know who was calling and the cost per minute was $3 in china. But surprisingly a voicemail was left! so it took me 2 days to figure out how to check voicemail from abroad and when i do i hear: "Hi, this is Dr. Heinrich, from NJMS. Please call me at this number." I DENIED DR. HEINRICH's CALL! Eventually though, i borrowed my cousin's phone and placed the call to hear i was accepted Oct 30th! Apparently i had all this clearance to talk directly with him if I told the secretary I was calling from Hong Kong. Felt real cool. Was a surreal but real cool experience to have gained an admission while i was 8000 miles away from NJMS in the first place!

Hello to Dr. Heinrich in case you're reading this. I'm sure my story is unique enough that you know who's writing it haha.

Sent in my enrollment deposit a few days ago right as I got back from Hong Kong. Glad to be officially a part of the class of 2010! Hello to all my fellow future classmates!

Anyone know if the student budget is the same between robert wood and njms?

i was just curious. for those that applied early this year, did it increase your chance of acceptance by alot? did you still apply to other schools before you found out if you got in or not?

theunderdog said:
AHHH!!! i just got an invite today at NJMS!!! my top choice school!!! i am calling tom to schedle an interview...

anyone know how far out my interview will be???/

hey guys, congrats on your interview invites! can i ask when you were complete and are you in-state or out-of-state? i applied there out-of-state and have yet to hear anything... i'm thinking it was a mistake to apply there as a non-new jersey resident from the south.

:(

To those wondering about financial aid:

- Last I remember, there were about 10 humanitarian scholarships given and they seem to be based off MCAT scores from what I have heard
- There are maybe a few others but they require very high scores
- I guarantee that you will all get the aid that you need via loans so don't worry about this. The process itself will be a pain because as informative as the financial aid department tries to be, its not. You will be panicking until orientation probably so just fill out all the required paperwork on time and dont worry - everyone else has gone through the same ordeal and just consider it one of the intiation processes.

beponychick said:
heehee, planet wings is open 7 days a week until 10pm every night! :p

for those who got accepted, how long was the decision turnaround? i just interviewed there early this week.

even though the information hasn't been sent out yet, rumor is that the accepted students luncheon is on Jan. 6, who is planning on attending at NJMS that day?

I know I am!

scneuro said:
even though the information hasn't been sent out yet, rumor is that the accepted students luncheon is on Jan. 6, who is planning on attending at NJMS that day?

I know I am!

Ill definitely come if i get accepted!!!! :oops:

underdog, i think it varies in terms of when you will hear. Some people hear as early as 2 weeks post interview, others like myself, have been waiting for 6 weeks without a word. So I think you should just hang tight and wait. Congrats on finishing the interview though.