New Jersey Medical School Class of 2010 -or- hopeful :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MDDM said:
Thank you sir ;)

Me = She. :laugh: :laugh:

But I take it the wink = you are joking. :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

scneuro said:
Dr. Heinrich called me this morning and let me know I was accepted MD/PhD!!!!! So excited!!!!!!

awesome!! congrats! when did you have your interview though?

scneuro said:
Dr. Heinrich called me this morning and let me know I was accepted MD/PhD!!!!! So excited!!!!!!

welcome....:) NJMS is a great school. If ya gots any questions ill be happy to answer em! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in too (Regular MD). Happy day!

bubbleyum said:
i also applied to umdnj and would like to know how much of a disadvantage it is to apply from out-of-state there. does anybody know? and i do not have stellar stats either, very average-borderline below-average(for sdn standards.)

i'm wondering if i wasted my time and money applying there...

according to the 2006 MSAR book, 2712 out of state applied. 0 (zero) got interviewed, and somehow 23 matriculated.

class size is 170.

sorry man.

Just got accepted on Saturday too! Congrats to all!

I got in too, through EDP. Is everyone still in college? I applied last year but didn't get in, so I tried again this year and did. Has anyone else had to sit out a year?

havoc14 said:
I got in too, through EDP. Is everyone still in college? I applied last year but didn't get in, so I tried again this year and did. Has anyone else had to sit out a year?

Hi havoc,

did you do anything to change your application from last year to this? Thanks.

i did some more volunteering and also shadowed a physician. that was about it.

Okay, I've been trying to find out about the grading system at NJMS, but I can't seem to find it on the site. Can someone tell me about it or give me a link? For all of you current NJMS students, how competitive is the class as a whole-- do the students tend to help each other or are they gunners and cut-throat? Thanks.

grading is
Honors
High Pass
Pass
Fail

for all of you who have been accepted to NJMS, have you received your formal acceptance in the mail yet? Dr. Heinrich said that he was going to mail it on Monday and I would've thought it would be here by now.

scneuro said:
for all of you who have been accepted to NJMS, have you received your formal acceptance in the mail yet? Dr. Heinrich said that he was going to mail it on Monday and I would've thought it would be here by now.

I got my call on saturday. Caught me by surprise... but it was a pleasant one. Didn't get mine in the mail yet, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
scneuro said:

i got it today

Got the packet today and sent it back in with the $100 deposit

bgreet said:
Got the packet today and sent it back in with the $100 deposit

I'm sooooo jealous! I hope you guys are in NJ and that it's just taking one extra day since I"m in NY

scneuro said:
I'm sooooo jealous! I hope you guys are in NJ and that it's just taking one extra day since I"m in NY

lol..chill ull get it...

as for the cut throatedness....there will always be those few that dont like to help other out so called the gunners....a lot of out students study together and share information with each other.....we do have a nice cooperative environment...the gunners have been segregated... :cool:

Guys!!!

I just took a walk with my bf to New Jersey Med just so that I can have no problems finding it tomorrow morning. I only live 20 minutes away so it was a short walk. I walked through the campus and it was absolutely wonderful!!! I really really love it! I know I'll see more on the tour tomorrow but it was an incredible feeling being there. :love: :love: :love:

beponychick said:
Guys!!!

I just took a walk with my bf to New Jersey Med just so that I can have no problems finding it tomorrow morning. I only live 20 minutes away so it was a short walk. I walked through the campus and it was absolutely wonderful!!! I really really love it! I know I'll see more on the tour tomorrow but it was an incredible feeling being there. :love: :love: :love:

Will be praying that you have a wonderful int.view. best wishes!

beponychick said:
Guys!!!

how was ur interview and who did u have?

drguy22 said:
how was ur interview and who did u have?

Yay!!!!

I had an asolutely wonderful interview. In all my two years of interviewing, this was BY FAR the most relaxed one. I had Dr. David Dershewitz. He was fantastic. I loved the school. I feel they could have maybe done a better job at organizing the day. Most other interviews have a dean or someone from the admissions office give a presentation about the school/financial aid info. NJMS didnt have that so at times, I was just sitting doing nothing. But its ok. Not enough to distract from the school or my utter love for it! :love: :love:

I was wondering if there is a residency match list for NJMS. I would really like to know where their students have been accepted in 2005. Also, it would be nice if anyone can tell me where NJMS students fall with regard to perfomance on the national board exam.

MDDM said:
I was wondering if there is a residency match list for NJMS. I would really like to know where their students have been accepted in 2005. Also, it would be nice if anyone can tell me where NJMS students fall with regard to perfomance on the national board exam.

https://admin-njms.umdnj.edu/StudentAffairs/MatchResults.aspx?tabid=19

this is where u will find the match list for several past years. You can sort in alphabetical order based on specialty to make it easier to see. In terms of the boards, NJMS has perfored above the mean. In addition, the new curriculum should increase that..but only this years second years can prove that. However, I can tell u that with the new clinical skill portion of step 2..NJMS had a 100% pass rate. If ya gots any more Q's ill be happy to answer...

NJMS is my last choice, not because of the school or location, but the weather, the east weather is beastly. I was wondering about sending in my secondary to NJMS. I received it in July. I think I am sending it in this next week. You all sound great and exciting. NJMS sounds like an exciting place, but dang that weather, yo!

drguy22 said:

this is where u will find the match list for several past years. You can sort in alphabetical order based on specialty to make it easier to see. In terms of the boards, NJMS has perfored above the mean. In addition, the new curriculum should increase that..but only this years second years can prove that. However, I can tell u that with the new clinical skill portion of step 2..NJMS had a 100% pass rate. If ya gots any more Q's ill be happy to answer...

OMG! I was looking at the 2005 match list. It is incredible!

drguy22 said:

Hey drguy22 ultra thanks for the list, nice matching, not much west coast matching, but nevertheless, nice!

I had a query about the stucture of the courses. I am a person that hates sitting in class for more than hour. I am more of a self learner. WOuld I like NJMS. Please tell me about the class structure a bit. Thanks in advance.

most NJMS people stay on the east coast due to family, local knowledge of hospitals, local recruitment by residency programs

i am not a class person either....they therefore have the scribe service for lectures

Faust said:
Hey drguy22 ultra thanks for the list, nice matching, not much west coast matching, but nevertheless, nice!

I had a query about the stucture of the courses. I am a person that hates sitting in class for more than hour. I am more of a self learner. WOuld I like NJMS. Please tell me about the class structure a bit. Thanks in advance.

they have a scribe service as ADIC said...u dont have more than 3 hrs of lecture a day. Tues rite now we only have 1 hr of lecture, and on thursdays i dont have lecture, because we go out to our preceptors and learn history/physicals. However, anatomy lab is a biggie because u get A LOT of learning done which would cut away at some of that studying time. lecture is not mandatory. Scribe notes are good. The only class that doesnt have scribe notes is physicains core, but notes are online and everything pretty much comes from the book.

lemme know if have anymore questions... :D

That 3hour rule is just in theory. Usually they try to keep lectures around 3 hours (labs and group stuff doesn't count in this number). When you get to some other courses later, once in a while you'll hit about 5hrs of lecture.

This doesn't mean that you HAVE to go to the lectures. Scribe notes are decent enough (though to warn you, a few scribers aren't very good. most are, but once in a while you'll get the one scribe you can't stand). So if you're willing to deal with that small issue, lectures arent' that bad.

My advice: Go to lectures if/when you start. Unless you are highly disciplined, you might just sleep through the lectures and then fall behind because you weren't really covering the material they taught in class. If you have your stuff together, then by all means, skip lecture and enjoy getting up late. school doesn't seem so rough if you work it that way.

So ... anyone know how long after interviewing at NJMS you usually get notified of acceptance or waitlist, etc? I interviewed on the 13th of October (not sure when I was complete since they never notified me, but sent in my secondary sometime 2nd week of September for those who are curious) and am right now extremely anxious! My cell phone is always in reach. Man, this is such a trying time ... i wish I could dial up the dean himself and demand action! haha, oh well ... guess i just gotta wait.

G-Man82 said:
So ... anyone know how long after interviewing at NJMS you usually get notified of acceptance or waitlist, etc? I interviewed on the 13th of October (not sure when I was complete since they never notified me, but sent in my secondary sometime 2nd week of September for those who are curious) and am right now extremely anxious! My cell phone is always in reach. Man, this is such a trying time ... i wish I could dial up the dean himself and demand action! haha, oh well ... guess i just gotta wait.

ADCOM meets every thurs i believe turn around time is bout 5 wks....unless they decide to hold off ur app...

G-Man82 said:

the time itself varies and i'm not exactly sure about why. I found out within 2weeks while a friend of mine was waitlisted within that same time. Another friend didnt hear anything for 6weeks or so.

FYI Heinrich only calls to give your acceptance. For anything else, you get a disappointing letter. So if the person says "Hi, this is Heinrich", pull over your car so you don't kill yourself before med school starts

4 Ever said:
So if the person says "Hi, this is Heinrich", pull over your car so you don't kill yourself before med school starts

or as in my case...dont run around like a fool...or ull hit a wall...YES i did run into a wall..man my head hurt after dat... :laugh:

I was complete 8/29 (at the latest... that's when my check was cashed)... if I haven't heard anything yet, should I just assume I've been rejected? :-(

im pretty sure they were talking about interview turn around (not application completion)

nvshelat said:
I was complete 8/29 (at the latest... that's when my check was cashed)... if I haven't heard anything yet, should I just assume I've been rejected? :-(

nope...email Dr. Heinrich.

Guys,

I have a question. Im sorry if I am neurotic...

I interviewed on Thursday 10/20. I know it is not that long ago. However, someone got accepted yesterday who interviewed the same day I did (yay Tarheel!). So I assume they reviewed all the applications that interviewed that day. Am I in trouble if I havent heard anything? I mean, if I was accepted, Dr. Heinrich would have called me yesterday, right? Im so sad. :( :( :(

beponychick said:
Guys,

I interviewed on Thursday 10/20. I know it is not that long ago. However, someone got accepted yesterday who interviewed the same day I did (yay Tarheel!). So I assume they reviewed all the applications that interviewed that day. Am I in trouble if I havent heard anything? I mean, if I was accepted, Dr. Heinrich would have called me yesterday, right? Im so sad. :( :( :(
not tru...

did they have the same interviewer as u? he/she may have just gotten it in faster than urs...dont worry!

beponychick said:
Guys,

I was interviewed by Dr. Hansen. I have interviewed at 4 schools so far and I thought I did the worst in that one. Go figure. However he did tell me that he was on the actual admissions committee, so that might be why I heard back so fast. I dont think you are in trouble at all, just stay positive. I interviewed at another school almost 2 months ago and haven't heard anything and I am dying to find out if I am going to be accepted.

i'm getting very, very worried about my application.

i took the august mcat, but have been actually complte for the longest time with an april mcat score.

i have not heard ANYTHING from njms, which is my top school. i emailed dr.heinrich today about my status, but of course, no response.

has anyone else heard anything??? that took the aug mcat?

beponychick said:
Guys,

I also interviewed on 10/20 and haven't heard from them yet. I think I was told it would be 6-8 weeks. My interviewer was not on the committee. He was really laid back and we had a nice and relaxing chat.

did u take the august mcat??

any of u guys know personally of someone with a 27 getting an interview to njms?? or even accepted?

the avg mcat of the accepted student is a 29...so there are def lots of people with mcats lower than that who got in provided they have had a high gpa

ASDIC said:
the avg mcat of the accepted student is a 29...so there are def lots of people with mcats lower than that who got in provided they have had a high gpa

ah crap. i only have a 3.5.

theunderdog said:
i'm getting very, very worried about my application.

i took the august mcat, but have been actually complte for the longest time with an april mcat score.

i have not heard ANYTHING from njms, which is my top school. i emailed dr.heinrich today about my status, but of course, no response.

has anyone else heard anything??? that took the aug mcat?

tat is very strange...cuz Dr. H usually responds to every email, often that very same nite.... :confused: maybe they are busy..

sleep_addict said:
I also interviewed on 10/20 and haven't heard from them yet. I think I was told it would be 6-8 weeks. My interviewer was not on the committee. He was really laid back and we had a nice and relaxing chat.

Really? Ok. I feel a little better :) Did we meet?

drguy22 said:
tat is very strange...cuz Dr. H usually responds to every email, often that very same nite.... :confused: maybe they are busy..

yeah i sent him an email at 1 in the morning telling him that when i called the office, the admissions people didn't know what was going on with my app. in fact, they told me my app was just sitting there.....

i wrote to him asking if he knew what was up with my app...

but of coourse... no reply.

beponychick said:
Really? Ok. I feel a little better :) Did we meet?

hey beponychick, I'm pretty sure we met at point during that day since I got there super early and had to sit/wander around for several hours.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that Dr. Heinrich notified me of my acceptance over the phone today. He mentioned that they were able to get back to me quickly because my interviewer promptly did his part, so that's probably why there's differences in the time it takes to get the notification.

I feel like I'm too calm of a person to properly react to phone calls like this. It was hard to express my excitement since it wasn't really a total surprise considering phone calls usually come with good news. It might have been kind of an awkward conversation since all I did was say "thank you" and giggle.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

sleep_addict said:
hey beponychick, I'm pretty sure we met at point during that day since I got there super early and had to sit/wander around for several hours.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that Dr. Heinrich notified me of my acceptance over the phone today. He mentioned that they were able to get back to me quickly because my interviewer promptly did his part, so that's probably why there's differences in the time it takes to get the notification.

I feel like I'm too calm of a person to properly react to phone calls like this. It was hard to express my excitement since it wasn't really a total surprise considering phone calls usually come with good news. It might have been kind of an awkward conversation since all I did was say "thank you" and giggle.

Anyway, good luck with everything!

congratulations!!!!! that must be so exciting... i really hope i hear something. sigh... im sooo anxious.

did you by any chance drive me home??? ;)