Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the interview tips, everyone. I'm interviewing 1/22. For those who interviewed, did all of you have a solo interview with 3 staff members? Did they ask any health care questions? Ethics questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the interview tips, everyone. I'm interviewing 1/22. For those who interviewed, did all of you have a solo interview with 3 staff members? Did they ask any health care questions? Ethics questions?

Everyone has a solo interview with a three person panel (all at once.). Mine consisted of a DO faculty member, a PhD basic science professor, and a 4th year student. They do vary a bit from that formula though; some have 2 PhDs and a student, some have 2 DOs and a PhD, etc. when you arrive, you'll be given a folder with a lot of info including who will be interviewing you. There will be three different panels and each student will be listed under one of the panels. After an initial presentation, half of you will interview while the other half get a tour, then they will interview while you tour. Then they take you to lunch (your tour might end up happening after lunch.). Lunch is in the cafeteria and its a great chance to meet current students. Also, there will be plenty of time to converse with other interviewees while you wait for everyone to be interviewed. That was actually one of my favorite parts of interview day: I got to spend half a day with a bunch of nerdy premeds like myself.

I didn't get any ethical dilemma questions, but I think some people in my interview group did. I certainly wouldn't put it past them. They do ask some off-the-wall questions, with the stated purpose of seeing how you respond to questions you couldn't have anticipated. Even in asking such questions, though, they do it in a friendly, non-confrontational way. I agree with what others have said in that it is very conversational. They don't try to add extra stress beyond what is inherent in the situation. Be yourself, be thoughtful, be professional, and have a genuine smile and you'll be fine.

Mild ethical question for mine along the lines of: You're a DO, Newborn is sick (time sensitive condition with potential for permenant damage if not treated)... mom disagrees and wants a second opinion which will happen on monday.... what do you say.

I meantioned a few things... but they key point for that question was surely to convince the mother to allow care to be provided over the weekend while they wait for second opinion... to avoid any long term damage in the event your initial diagnosis was correct. So basically, can you "reason" with a patient who is being slightly unreasonable. Of course my DO interviewer was a PEDS... so your milage may vary.

I think the smile advice is the best. By the time I interviewed I wasn't really nervous or stressed beyond normal levels.... this led to me being genuinely smily and able to be very smooth and conversational. I had a big smile on my face the entire time and it may have made a difference.

Good luck, AZCOM has pretty much the most standard and simple interview format of any school. Just know who you are and you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you are interested in sharing a standard two bedroom apartment on campus? Please PM me if you are looking for a roomate.

Thank you

Does anyone know for sure when the next round of acceptances will be given out? The admin lady said 3 weeks, but my interviewers said 2 weeks. I'm hoping to beat the deposit deadline at another school.

Does anyone know for sure when the next round of acceptances will be given out? The admin lady said 3 weeks, but my interviewers said 2 weeks. I'm hoping to beat the deposit deadline at another school.

I recently interviewed and they said decisions for our group would *most likely* be made by next Friday, a loose estimate.

Like most people have already said, the interview is really relaxed. We talked to a bunch of really helpful med students and went on a campus tour. The interview was a panel of 3 people with your CV and secondary essays (no gpa/mcat). They asked me 1) why DO? Why not PA, or MD or nursing? 2) some ethics stuff-whatever you say, just be able to justify your answer 3) to describe some experiences from my CV (know your app and CV really well)

I interviewed 1/16, no official word from admissions, but my portal did just change today to look like an acceptance!!

I interviewed 1/16, no official word from admissions, but my portal did just change today to look like an acceptance!!

If you have an accepted students checklist, you're in. congrats

Been lurking for a while, registered to say that I was able to switch my April 9th interview for March 5th, so if you're looking for earlier interview dates make sure to keep checking out the MWU portal. Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!

Interviewed on 1/17...getting kind of anxious hearing from everyone else. They said 2 weeks when we were there. Has anyone else from 1/17 heard back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called and they said they're meeting tomorrow afternoon and should expect an answer by tomorrow night.

has anyone heard when applicants on a pre-interview hold will be re-reviewed? i'm going crazy!

Anyone get the financial aid packet in their email yet? They originally said we would be receiving materials in mid January. I haven't gotten anything yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

I was waitlisted... Does anyone know how much movement they have on the waitlist? They said there are currently only 32 people on it as of right now. This whole waitlist thing was so depressing.

I was waitlisted... Does anyone know how much movement they have on the waitlist? They said there are currently only 32 people on it as of right now. This whole waitlist thing was so depressing.

Wow only 32?!? That's pretty comforting actually. I am one of those people. It definitely is depressing, but as far as I know there's pretty good movement (especially since the class is pretty big). Movement doesn't occur until May though :thumbdown: soooooo join the waiting game :cool:

Still pulling for you to be my classmate Dr. Meows!

Interviewed 1/22 and accepted today! So excited!!!! And the $1000 deposit is due 3/1 for me.

Accepted!!! I really hope that those wait-listed get accepted also, and that the rest of those who don't get accepted get into a school of their choice!! This is my first acceptance and couldn't be happier!

Also, I was hoping to get some serious help regarding picking rotations. If any current students have input on where to pick for sites and what not and could answer my questions, please PM me!

Lastly, does anyone have the link to the 2012 match list?

Does anyone know if people are actually rejected after their interview or is the rejection the wait list?

Does anyone know if people are actually rejected after their interview or is the rejection the wait list?

There's rejections - if you go back in this thread I know one person was rejected (which means there must be more). Plus they have like 18 people per interview day and have had a LOT of days - if only 32 people are waitlisted there must be some that were rejected.

Dang man I really don't know how I feel about this whole alternates list thing. Waiting to May to get rejected or accepted kind of sucks

Dang man I really don't know how I feel about this whole alternates list thing. Waiting to May to get rejected or accepted kind of sucks

Agreed. I like it better when schools frequently look over the waitlist. I wouldn't give up hope though - all you can do is kill them with updates :)

Nice username!

lol, thanks. Only a few people would get the reference. ;)

Did anyone receive their rotation site BEFORE paying the deposit? I already filled out the survey bc the rotation site might affect my decision to attend AZCOM, but I don't want to pay the deposit until I hear back from another school.

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some help with regards to picking rotations.

1) which sites offer the most ward based rotations

2) I'm leaning towards LA, any negatives? The problem is though that the hospitals seem like small community hospitals (I might be wrong), whereas phoenix east has Maricopa which seems really good.

I would like to live in LA but above that I want to go where I will have the best clinical experience and create the most networks to benefit me come residency time.

If someone could respond asap that would be great! Thanks guys!!

Congrats to folks who have been accepted to azcom, and good luck to those attending or waiting for interviews.

I have been offered admission to azcom as well. I am trying to decide on rotation site selections. I am likely trending towards FM, IM, Ped for specialization.

Questions:

0) I wish to finish all rotations in AZ to fulfill the rotation requirements. (Phoenix-East, Phoenix-West or Tucson). I assume I can pick one of these sites and and finish the requirements in that core site, correct?

1) Coulld someone comment on the strengths of the above 3 sites in terms of quality of clerkship?

2) Looking at the stats sent by azcom, for 2012-2013 rotations, it seems more students went to Phoenix-East, then Phoenix-West, and then Tucson. Does this reflect in any way the quality of the rotations or just the number of clerkships available? Or, are there factors to consider?

3) About Tucson site: I like the fact that Univ of Arizona Hospital is in the list. Could any of the pervious students comment on Tucson sites in particular?

I have learned a lot from this forum - thanks.

You can also send me PM for responses if necessary. Any info is appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some help with regards to picking rotations.

1) which sites offer the most ward based rotations

2) I'm leaning towards LA, any negatives? The problem is though that the hospitals seem like small community hospitals (I might be wrong), whereas phoenix east has Maricopa which seems really good.

I would like to live in LA but above that I want to go where I will have the best clinical experience and create the most networks to benefit me come residency time.

If someone could respond asap that would be great! Thanks guys!!

Congrats to folks who have been accepted to azcom, and good luck to those attending or waiting for interviews.

I have been offered admission to azcom as well. I am trying to decide on rotation site selections. I am likely trending towards FM, IM, Ped for specialization.

Questions:

0) I wish to finish all rotations in AZ to fulfill the rotation requirements. (Phoenix-East, Phoenix-West or Tucson). I assume I can pick one of these sites and and finish the requirements in that core site, correct?

1) Coulld someone comment on the strengths of the above 3 sites in terms of quality of clerkship?

2) Looking at the stats sent by azcom, for 2012-2013 rotations, it seems more students went to Phoenix-East, then Phoenix-West, and then Tucson. Does this reflect in any way the quality of the rotations or just the number of clerkships available? Or, are there factors to consider?

3) About Tucson site: I like the fact that Univ of Arizona Hospital is in the list. Could any of the pervious students comment on Tucson sites in particular?

I have learned a lot from this forum - thanks.

You can also send me PM for responses if necessary. Any info is appreciated.

My very first post on this thread contains the vast majority of the information the two of you want...

Thanks very much, randomusername. Very useful. (Missed seeing your earlier posts.)

has anyone heard when applicants on a pre-interview hold will be re-reviewed? i'm going crazy!

I called admissions and they said the pre-interview kids are usually re-reviewed in late March and early April at the very end of the interview season. This is because the PA kids have earlier deadlines than we do. Hope that helps.

I called admissions and they said the pre-interview kids are usually re-reviewed in late March and early April at the very end of the interview season. This is because the PA kids have earlier deadlines than we do. Hope that helps.

thanks! hopefully i'll hear something around then! :]

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Do they constantly ask us if our information is correct in the portal? The last time that happened I got the ii. I'm currently on the waitlist. haha Am I just getting paranoid over nothing?

Do they constantly ask us if our information is correct in the portal? The last time that happened I got the ii. I'm currently on the waitlist. haha Am I just getting paranoid over nothing?

There's always some bit of information they want confirmed.

Does anyone know the stats on how many kids on the pre-interview list actually get an interview?

Yes. Over and over. Sometimes I'm trying to check my exam grade and it pops up -_-

Yes. Over and over. Sometimes I'm trying to check my exam grade and it pops up -_-

I haven't even matriculated yet and I have already experienced this... trying to find info on the website and suddenly I'm confirming something. No biggy. More funny than annoying, so far.

I haven't even matriculated yet and I have already experienced this... trying to find info on the website and suddenly I'm confirming something. No biggy. More funny than annoying, so far.

Ugh me too!

Interviewed 1/16/2013
Accepted by phonecall 2/1/2013
Class of 2017