Midwestern C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I've been following for a while but first time poster here! I interviewed on 10/26 and my portal updated to Accepted student with the payment and matriculation agreement and all that as well. I have yet to receive an email/phone call yet though! If the portal updates does that basically mean its a yes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I've been following for a while but first time poster here! I interviewed on 10/26 and my portal updated to Accepted student with the payment and matriculation agreement and all that as well. I have yet to receive an email/phone call yet though! If the portal updates does that basically mean its a yes?

Congrats!! I would say it's a pretty sure bet! In my research I haven't found any instances where someone's portal has updated and they haven't been accepted :) I was worried about that too until I got my phone call and email today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh ok thanks guys! No email or phone call today. I have this fear that one time I will log on and the accepted checklist will just be gone and theyll be like nope jk:( I guess they just have a lot of people to email so I'll just keep waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh ok thanks guys! No email or phone call today. I have this fear that one time I will log on and the accepted checklist will just be gone and theyll be like nope jk:( I guess they just have a lot of people to email so I'll just keep waiting!

I also interviewed on 10/26 and saw my accepted student checklist on Friday, but no call or email today either. I feel you on the fear though, I checked to make sure it was still there today too haha! Hopefully we will get the email soon :)

Has anyone else been “put on hold for a future interview”?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Got my email finally! Now I can actually believe it and relax:happy:

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who has been waitlisted received an email or call or anything confirming that they are indeed waitlisted? Or are we just going off of what the portal says.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been waitlisted received an email or call or anything confirming that they are indeed waitlisted? Or are we just going off of what the portal says.
You can call and ask about your status, I received a snail mail notifying me as well as the portal update.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I got an email

Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a while but I'm currently a first year at MWU and just wanted to say feel free to msg me if you have any questions about MWU now or later when you are making a decision! I got a lot of help making my decision from current students at MWU on SDN and would be more than happy to talk to all of you about MWU! Good luck with your applications and interviews!!! :):):) and congrats to everyone who's been accepted!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else "waitlisted for interview"? I had this same status last year as well, they said I could take the GRE again to help improve my application, but with everything going on in my life I don't think I will be able to do any better. Just really want to get offered an interview. Any advice?

Anyone else "waitlisted for interview"? I had this same status last year as well, they said I could take the GRE again to help improve my application, but with everything going on in my life I don't think I will be able to do any better. Just really want to get offered an interview. Any advice?

If you're unable to take the GRE again, I'd suggest focusing on improving other aspects of your application--animal/vet experience, GPA if possible, maybe seek assistance with writing your personal statement next cycle, too. If you haven't already, try emailing admissions and ask for further suggestions.

I guess according to admissions my application is still under review. So hard not to get paranoid and check it every 5 minutes. But I guess being reviewed is better than being rejected... for now

Ask and you shall receive... invited for an interview! Going January 10th. Can someone give me an idea on how the interview is set up? As in how many professors/admissions advisors you meet with?

Reactions: 2 users
Ask and you shall receive... invited for an interview! Going January 10th. Can someone give me an idea on how the interview is set up? As in how many professors/admissions advisors you meet with?
did they send you an email?

Still waiting to hear back, I've been on the interview waitlist for a while now.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! The interview is usually conducted by 2 professors and is open folder lasting approx. 20 minutes. :)

Curious, since they do rolling admissions, has anyone submitted a late application or know of anyone who has?

I know the application is open until march first, but it seems very late in the game and I feel like it may be better to just try for next year...

Curious, since they do rolling admissions, has anyone submitted a late application or know of anyone who has?

I know the application is open until march first, but it seems very late in the game and I feel like it may be better to just try for next year...
One of my friends submitted thru MWU in November. Honestly, if you can complete the application by January, I say why not? You never know what kind of spots they have open in any given year. :)

One of my friends submitted thru MWU in November. Honestly, if you can complete the application by January, I say why not? You never know what kind of spots they have open in any given year. :)

Thank you! I am toying with the idea of sending one out at the moment. Honestly a year off after this year sounds appealing and I would be happy to apply again in the spring, though I am worried that their credentials will jump up significantly after gaining full accreditation (not saying its an easy place to get into as is!), which is anticipated after the graduation of this year's class, correct?

Thank you! I am toying with the idea of sending one out at the moment. Honestly a year off after this year sounds appealing and I would be happy to apply again in the spring, though I am worried that their credentials will jump up significantly after gaining full accreditation (not saying its an easy place to get into as is!), which is anticipated after the graduation of this year's class, correct?
Yes! I imagine people won't be as "unsure" to apply after this year. MWU has had just as many applications as other schools. The main reason people choose to decline is due to the cost of tuition. MWU is a great school!! Honestly...I wouldn't want to be anywhere else <3

Yes! I imagine people won't be as "unsure" to apply after this year. MWU has had just as many applications as other schools. The main reason people choose to decline is due to the cost of tuition. MWU is a great school!! Honestly...I wouldn't want to be anywhere else <3

The cost of tuition is higher than any other school, has Midwestern done anything to help with that (such as grants, scholarships, etc.) to lessen that 100k difference with other schools? Do you feel like the additional hands-on experience is worth it?

The cost of tuition is higher than any other school, has Midwestern done anything to help with that (such as grants, scholarships, etc.) to lessen that 100k difference with other schools? Do you feel like the additional hands-on experience is worth it?
I am not sure if they will be offering grants & scholarships. I'm not sure if they have to have full accreditation to offer those or not? I'll ask around and see what I can find out for you.

In the meantime, I think you should check out this cost estimation from the AAVMC.
Exploring the Cost of a Veterinary Medical Education

The TOTAL listed on this graph reflects the cost of tuition AND living expenses included in your loans. (I know for sure the cost is correct for MWU, not for sure about the other schools.) If you ONLY take the cost of tuition out in loans it is approx. $59,400ish per year (I'm sure they will do a % increase annually like most schools). You can also view it in MAP form to compare all of the schools, just click on the "College Map" tab above the graph.

MWU isn't the most expensive school and the difference in cost (OOS mind you) between many of the schools is about $30,000 TOTAL (including living expenses). Obviously if you have an IS school and are accepted there, it would be very beneficial for you to accept. I live in AZ and would have been OOS for all of the schools I applied to so I chose MWU.

Midwestern is preparing Day 1 ready veterinarians. When they say you can get as much experience as you want, they mean it. Many of us have already done 3 neuters in the 1st quarter of vet school and will do more by the end of our first year. 2nd year we will be on a surgery team with 3 classmates. Every 3 weeks we will perform the spay or neuter and on the other 2 weeks we are the anesthesiologist or the assistant. By the end of the year we will have done another 10 surgeries. This does NOT include the amount we will spay/neuter by volunteering with our Mobile Clinic and during large volume TNR's held every fall and spring.

The choice is always yours and you should do what is best for YOU. For me, the $30,000 difference was not enough to make me go to a different school that I had reservations about. MWU is upfront about what they what they want to help YOU achieve...it's not about what is in it for them. Yes, they are private. Yes, the cost of tuition is higher, but they treat you like family and are willing to go out of their way to help you. And if they can't, they will find someone who can. :)

Reactions: 4 users
I am not sure if they will be offering grants & scholarships. I'm not sure if they have to have full accreditation to offer those or not? I'll ask around and see what I can find out for you.

In the meantime, I think you should check out this cost estimation from the AAVMC.
Exploring the Cost of a Veterinary Medical Education

The TOTAL listed on this graph reflects the cost of tuition AND living expenses included in your loans. (I know for sure the cost is correct for MWU, not for sure about the other schools.) If you ONLY take the cost of tuition out in loans it is approx. $59,400ish per year (I'm sure they will do a % increase annually like most schools). You can also view it in MAP form to compare all of the schools, just click on the "College Map" tab above the graph.

MWU isn't the most expensive school and the difference in cost (OOS mind you) between many of the schools is about $30,000 TOTAL (including living expenses). Obviously if you have an IS school and are accepted there, it would be very beneficial for you to accept. I live in AZ and would have been OOS for all of the schools I applied to so I chose MWU.

Midwestern is preparing Day 1 ready veterinarians. When they say you can get as much experience as you want, they mean it. Many of us have already done 3 neuters in the 1st quarter of vet school and will do more by the end of our first year. 2nd year we will be on a surgery team with 3 classmates. Every 3 weeks we will perform the spay or neuter and on the other 2 weeks we are the anesthesiologist or the assistant. By the end of the year we will have done another 10 surgeries. This does NOT include the amount we will spay/neuter by volunteering with our Mobile Clinic and during large volume TNR's held every fall and spring.

The choice is always yours and you should do what is best for YOU. For me, the $30,000 difference was not enough to make me go to a different school that I had reservations about. MWU is upfront about what they what they want to help YOU achieve...it's not about what is in it for them. Yes, they are private. Yes, the cost of tuition is higher, but they treat you like family and are willing to go out of their way to help you. And if they can't, they will find someone who can. :)

That link is so helpful! Thank you! The Day 1 ready veterinarians is something I really liked about that school, I am just trying to see if there is much financial aid available. :)

That link is so helpful! Thank you! The Day 1 ready veterinarians is something I really liked about that school, I am just trying to see if there is much financial aid available. :)
You're welcome. I totally understand where you are coming from because cost is a huge consideration. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone is in the same boat:
Submitted on 9/22, received an email that all materials were received, haven't heard anything since.
Portal says I don't have any interviews to schedule at this time, yet I haven't been waitlisted or rejected.
I'm not too hopeful at this point but also confused about why I haven't received an update of any sort yet.
Any insight?

Hi all,
Submitted on 9/22, received an email that all materials were received, haven't heard anything since.
Portal says I don't have any interviews to schedule at this time, yet I haven't been waitlisted or rejected.
I'm not too hopeful at this point but also confused about why I haven't received an update of any sort yet.
Any insight?
maybe you should call them? I submitted a couple of days after you and I heard back a couple of weeks ago

Hi all,
Any insight?
I second what @imdyinscoob said. Give them a call or send an email to one of the admissions counselors. They usually try to email you back within 24-48 hours :)

Has anyone heard anything in regards to the interviews on 11/28?

For anyone who has been accepted and has already completed ochem, does your checklist say that you still need it? Both myself and a friend of mine have portals that say that our ochem is not completed.

For anyone who has been accepted and has already completed ochem, does your checklist say that you still need it? Both myself and a friend of mine have portals that say that our ochem is not completed.

the same thing happened to me last year. Just email them and reference the course on your transcript and they will fix it!

the same thing happened to me last year. Just email them and reference the course on your transcript and they will fix it!
The same thing happened to me as well. I sent an email to the admissions counselor I was assigned and she updated my portal.

I got a little antsy and called for an update, and it looks like they had an admissions meeting yesterday and plan on having another this afternoon! Goodluck!

I got a little antsy and called for an update, and it looks like they had an admissions meeting yesterday and plan on having another this afternoon! Goodluck!
Did they say when we would hear back then? Like tomorrow??

Has anyone that was interview waitlisted gotten an interview yet? Getting antsy since I was waitlisted in October and haven’t heard anything yet

Guys, I just checked my portal and my heart stopped for a second when I saw I got offered an interview!!! I selected mine for Jan. 19!

Reactions: 7 users