Michigan State c/o 2022 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure you can post them if they are on the supplemental app. anyone could just go and create a VMCAS account and select MSU to see them.

I guess that's true. Specifically, one of them asks about a situation where you encountered potential or actual ethical issues. Not sure how to answer that since nothing comes to mind, but answering I've never encountered that before probably isn't good :D

Members don't see this ad.

so I just went into VMCAS because I was curious. so that question "Please give an example of a time when you identified an actual or potential ethical issue. What did you do, and what was the result of your actions?"

It seems pretty general where you can write about anything. There *HAS* to be a time in your life where there was some sort of potential ethical issue. Someone wanted to look at your homework answers when that wasn't explicitly allowed. You/someone you know messed up at work but hid it instead of reporting it. etc etc. Looking at all of their questions there really isn't any of them that someone wouldn't be able to answer imho.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems pretty general where you can write about anything. There *HAS* to be a time in your life where there was some sort of potential ethical issue. Someone wanted to look at your homework answers when that wasn't explicitly allowed. You/someone you know messed up at work but hid it instead of reporting it. etc etc. Looking at all of their questions there really isn't any of them that someone wouldn't be able to answer imho.

You're probably right - Maybe it will just take more thought. I was thinking more big incidents, but didn't think about smaller ones. Man, this application is causing stress brain, big time! Thank you for helping me see it in a different angle. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo! Ready for round TWO. 2nd time applicant, MSU IS, and still very hopeful.
Had a great phone meeting with Donna Grooms yesterday to review last years app, and feeling great about my chances this year! :happy:

Reactions: 6 users
Had a great phone meeting with Donna Grooms yesterday to review last years app, and feeling great about my chances this year! :happy:

I'm glad you had a great meeting with her! We are really lucky to have her as a resource and she helped me a lot between cycles (also needed 2 tries to get in so you are not alone)! If you would like any help with editing/proof reading your essays, let me know! Best of luck.

Yay! Donna is awesome! She's been helping me get my stuff squared away since last year even though I wasn't applying until this year. She even calculated my GPA for me to make sure it was solid, just in case I did it wrong - which I did. She definitely balances reality with a positive outlook on each individual's chances. Good luck!

Yay! Donna is awesome! She's been helping me get my stuff squared away since last year even though I wasn't applying until this year. She even calculated my GPA for me to make sure it was solid, just in case I did it wrong - which I did. She definitely balances reality with a positive outlook on each individual's chances. Good luck!
So did you just ask her for a proper calculation or how successful you application and grade would be? I've been interested in asking some school how competitive I would be but I never asked

So did you just ask her for a proper calculation or how successful you application and grade would be? I've been interested in asking some school how competitive I would be but I never asked

It's basically a file review. I sat down with her and she went over all the requirements and told me what was strong on my application and what could use some work. She suggested different options and which would be the best course of action for me individually. She doesn't tell you if you'll get in or anything like that, just how competitive your application would be. And she makes it clear that other applicants can influence the pool they draw from, so making my application the best it can be doesn't guarantee acceptance.

Then she offered to calculate my GPA for me once the semester was over (since I was meeting with her before grades were released last semester), just to be sure I was calculating it correctly. She can't tell you specifics, like interview questions, but she goes over the selection process and gives you a basic idea of what to expect. I'm not sure if other schools do this though. You'd have to check with individual admissions offices.

I'm applying to MSU this cycle too! First time OOS applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, I'm a second-time applicant, but it's my first time applying to MSU. I really get a good feeling from this school! Is anyone applying out of grad school or after working for awhile? Or does anyone here know MSU's feelings about people using grad school to improve their academics? Just nervous after applying after a few years I guess! Thank you and good luck to you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I'm a second-time applicant, but it's my first time applying to MSU. I really get a good feeling from this school! Is anyone applying out of grad school or after working for awhile? Or does anyone here know MSU's feelings about people using grad school to improve their academics? Just nervous after applying after a few years I guess! Thank you and good luck to you guys!

Hey! You're not alone. I'll be applying after working five years in the food safety industry and completing a Master of Science in Food Safety at Michigan State. I still want to focus on food safety, but more on the preventative medicine/public health side (corporate life is not for me!!!). Although I've always wanted to be a veterinarian, I get nervous that my windy path is alarming. Hopefully it just makes me stick out in a positive way. This will be my second time applying (first time was in 2012) but first time for MSU. I've grown to love the MSU faculty and school so I'm hoping that I can continue my education there. What's your background?! Best of luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! You're not alone. I'll be applying after working five years in the food safety industry and completing a Master of Science in Food Safety at Michigan State. I still want to focus on food safety, but more on the preventative medicine/public health side (corporate life is not for me!!!). Although I've always wanted to be a veterinarian, I get nervous that my windy path is alarming. Hopefully it just makes me stick out in a positive way. This will be my second time applying (first time was in 2012) but first time for MSU. I've grown to love the MSU faculty and school so I'm hoping that I can continue my education there. What's your background?! Best of luck :)

Thank you so much! Your insight is so helpful. I first applied in 2013, and after I didn't get in I went to get my MPH at KU. I graduated last year and have been working officially for almost a year in public health research- I'm on a team that focuses mainly on sexual health empowerment for people in jails. I haven't had (or maybe haven't pursued) many opportunities to do veterinary public health research, but this interests me quite a bit! Your job sounds so interesting!

Definitely not alone! I took the scenic route to get here. I"ve served in the military and raised kids for 13 years and then decided to go back to school to pursue a career in Veterinary medicine. I don't know anything about grad school, but when I met with the admissions lady, she said having life experience counts for something so don't stress that I don't have the same "resume" as everyone else that is applying.

Thank you so much! Your insight is so helpful. I first applied in 2013, and after I didn't get in I went to get my MPH at KU. I graduated last year and have been working officially for almost a year in public health research- I'm on a team that focuses mainly on sexual health empowerment for people in jails. I haven't had (or maybe haven't pursued) many opportunities to do veterinary public health research, but this interests me quite a bit! Your job sounds so interesting!

I, and probably a good amount of other people, were in the same boat! We first applied hoping to continue right to vet school after undergrad and when it didn't work out it was kind of like now what! I considered an MPH right after too, but my parents advised me to find work and try to pay some undergrad loans. So I tried to figure out what classes interested me most and see if I'd be able to work in a field similar to what I learned. I enjoyed microbiology and landed a one year contract with the USDA doing research in a food safety lab. Loved it! When that ended I still tired to stay with the working thing instead of putting myself into more debt. Although it's given me a good side of food safety and professional experience, it's just not for me. Started getting my Masters part time to see what else I can do with food safety and became immediately interested in preventative medicine. Which matches both my passions of food safety and veterinary medicine. I've come quite an interesting path when I first applied when I wanted to focus in small animal emergency (lol!) Your work sounds very interesting! I definitely think it'll help you stand out from the crowd! Hopefully all we've been through will help. I've heard that Michigan State is very holistic in their admission approach.

Definitely not alone! I took the scenic route to get here. I"ve served in the military and raised kids for 13 years and then decided to go back to school to pursue a career in Veterinary medicine. I don't know anything about grad school, but when I met with the admissions lady, she said having life experience counts for something so don't stress that I don't have the same "resume" as everyone else that is applying.
May I ask how young are you?

I just finished all the essays for all the vet schools and submitted my VMCAS for this cycle! Fingers cross! The DVM/Ph.D. applications are MUCH LONGER and I had to write about my previous research experinces! Glad I'm done with them!

My class has a ton of people that didn't come straight out of undergrad. There's alot of people with a few years of work experience, some advanced degrees, and people that did post-bacc classes to raise their last 45 (is it 36 now?) and science GPAs.
I'm sure the incoming class probably has some of the same.

I feel like MSU values nontraditional / diverse students. I was accepted to MSU this past cycle after being out of school for 10+ (and coming from a different career alltogether).
My class has a ton of people that didn't come straight out of undergrad. There's alot of people with a few years of work experience, some advanced degrees, and people that did post-bacc classes to raise their last 45 (is it 36 now?) and science GPAs.
I'm sure the incoming class probably has some of the same.

Yeah, I ended up accepting an offer at a different school, but I was one of those people that was older / non traditional. I think it helped my chances as I could draw from more experiences and stood out from the norm student. MSU seems particularly interested in nontraditional students it seemed to me.

oops I guess i had a reply saved from a while ago that basically said the same thing. I thought I was only replying to Teepster.

Jumping on an older bandwagon here Donna Grooms is awesome Very helpful with her suggestions!! First time applying MSU here but 3rf time applying in general...not looking forward to all those essays

Jumping on an older bandwagon here Donna Grooms is awesome Very helpful with her suggestions!! First time applying MSU here but 3rf time applying in general...not looking forward to all those essays

She is so awesome. :) I will be starting this fall. If you have any questions, please let me know! I know there have been changes but I'm happy to help in anyway!

First LOR received by VMCAS. Woot woot! Plus, all my transcripts except the one place I'm taking summer classes from have been received. This is starting to get real!

All the essays are done!
VMCAS and supplemental applications have been submitted to all the designated schools!
All My LOR have been submitted! Just need to focus on my GRE now for other vet schools! Gosh I hate studying for this lame test!

Nice!! I'm waiting to finish a summer class to send my last transcript. Its kind of made me a slacker with the rest of the application like the essays. :bag:

Has anyone else had so many issues with answering the new questions? Only having 1000 characters is killing me.. I also have zero idea about what to write for the prompt "Please tell us about a time when you felt a sense of responsibility for someone other than yourself. What had happened and what was the outcome?"? I don't believe i have ever felt responsible for someone unless I'm just not completely understanding the question?

Has anyone read over the questions under the MSU section? What do you think of them? Since this is my first time applying, I don't know if they are similar to past years or not. I"m not quite sure how to handle some of them - what if you've never encountered the scenarios they want you to discuss???
The questions are completely different from last year and much harder to answer.. only having 1000 characters makes it hard to get your point across.. I am struggling with the questions as we speak.

Has anyone else had so many issues with answering the new questions? Only having 1000 characters is killing me.. I also have zero idea about what to write for the prompt "Please tell us about a time when you felt a sense of responsibility for someone other than yourself. What had happened and what was the outcome?"? I don't believe i have ever felt responsible for someone unless I'm just not completely understanding the question?

I'm having the same problem answering the question, though I have the opposite problem that you do. I've been responsible for 3 people since they were born, my kids, but I don't know how to address "what was the outcome", because they aren't grown yet. Lol.

Have you ever been a camp counselor? A teacher's aide? A sibling? A babysitter? Anything where you were directly in charge of the safety/education/mentoring/tutoring of another person? I'd look for an experience like that if you have one.

I'm having the same problem answering the question, though I have the opposite problem that you do. I've been responsible for 3 people since they were born, my kids, but I don't know how to address "what was the outcome", because they aren't grown yet. Lol.
"I haven't killed them yet?" :laugh:

Have you EVER felt a sense of responsibility for any of your family member (mother, father, sister, brother, grandmother, grandfather, etc)? I guess the core of this question is they want to know HOW compassionate and sacrificial you are toward others and what makes you different from other applicants! I am pretty sure we are all felt a sense of responsibility for someone other than ourselves. ;)

*writes about the time when I drunk helped my drunker friend get home after a long night*
*writes about how I made sure my drunk best friend didn't get too drunk and die on her 21st birthday (or halloween a different year...that one was a...challenge)*

"Oh I got offered an interview at Michigan last year maybe I'll check in this thread and see if I can offer any advice"

*writes about the time when I drunk helped my drunker friend get home after a long night*

*writes about how I made sure my drunk best friend didn't get too drunk and die on her 21st birthday (or halloween a different year...that one was a...challenge)*

"nevermind, cdo and ski clearly have it covered..."

"Oh I got offered an interview at Michigan last year maybe I'll check in this thread and see if I can offer any advice"

"nevermind, cdo and ski clearly have it covered..."
:angelic:

We're good at giving advice! :laugh:

:rofl:Wonder if it would be frowned upon to write this just like you wrote it???? :laugh:
It shows individuality, go ahead and do it!* :laugh::laugh:

*Do not actually do it. That's a very bad idea. There's very few times when people should actually take my advice and this is not one of them.

It shows individuality, go ahead and do it!* :laugh::laugh:
*Do not actually do it. That's a very bad idea. There's a very few times when people should actually take my advice and this is not one of them.

OMG! You're the best! I needed a good laugh. Trying to finish up this app is making me pull my hair out!

OMG! You're the best! I needed a good laugh. Trying to finish up this app is making me pull my hair out!
"I luv dogs & horsies. I want to be a zoo doctor but also do dogs and cats and the horses on the side. I be the best because I love animals."

Hello,

New to the forum, tech for 9 years, making the jump, first time applicant. Applying to MI state (only application:xf:) cuz my wife has a job here lol. Am I missing a "Personal Statement" section? I am seeing 3 essays on the personal info section as well as the "explain why you did weird things in your education" section, and then the MSU section with the "tell us about the time" qustions, but no "personal statement." Am I crazy?

Last edited:
Hello,

New to the forum, tech for 9 years, making the jump, first time applicant. Only applying to MI state cuz my wife has a job here lol. Am I missing a "Personal Statement" section? I am seeing 3 essays on the personal info section as well as the "explain why you did weird things in your education" section, and then the MSU section with the "tell us about the time" qustions, but no "personal statement." Am I crazy?
No they got rid of the old personal statement this application cycle, and put those three mini essays in it's place