Michigan State c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

There you go! I haven't been accepted yet tho.

I know I'm an overly eager one but are there any suggestions for supplies we will need? šŸ˜‚
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does Michigan gift stethoscope to first year? Just wondering because I know some school do.

Iā€™m accepted into another school, but what do we think the odds are that Iā€™d get off the OOS waitlist at ~120?

Members don't see this ad :)

There you go! I haven't been accepted yet tho.

I know I'm an overly eager one but are there any suggestions for supplies we will need? šŸ˜‚
Theyā€™ll get you a list a stuff you need in Mayā€” most of it you can get through the schoolā€™s summer sale! There are specific scrubs you need, gloves, maybe a dissection kit, clipboard, stethoscope, coveralls, muck/rubber boots, and a few other things that are escaping me.

Does Michigan gift stethoscope to first year? Just wondering because I know some school do.

They did for us last year and classes prior, but we didnā€™t find our for sure until like orientation week in August. I got excited and bought my own stethoscope, so I have two. They one they gifted us is nice, but I wanted a double sided one (and I wanted to be fancy and have a teal one!)

Iā€™m accepted into another school, but what do we think the odds are that Iā€™d get off the OOS waitlist at ~120?

OOS waitlist went to ~150 last yearā€” but they didnā€™t hear back until a few weeks before the start of the semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone!! I got IS waitlisted again so will be attending Ross. Maybe Iā€™ll see you for my clinical year! Good luck!!
What spot were you on the waitlist last year if you donā€™t mind me asking. Iā€™m trying to see if I should just accept my offer to Ross too, or remain on the waitlist?

Theyā€™ll get you a list a stuff you need in Mayā€” most of it you can get through the schoolā€™s summer sale! There are specific scrubs you need, gloves, maybe a dissection kit, clipboard, stethoscope, coveralls, muck/rubber boots, and a few other things that are escaping me.
The summer sale is ridiculously over priced, get into the cvm yard sale group on Facebook and buy from 4th years or buy online, also the maroon/wine scrubs do not need to be the msu ones so if you already own some, you do not need to buy more

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What spot were you on the waitlist last year if you donā€™t mind me asking. Iā€™m trying to see if I should just accept my offer to Ross too, or remain on the waitlist?
šŸ‘€šŸ‘€

I see that the mandatory in-person orientation is scheduled for August 8-12. Is that really a full five days of orientation? I am supposed to stand up in a friend's wedding on the 12th so I'm wondering what we're thinking that week may look like. Thanks in advance!

I see that the mandatory in-person orientation is scheduled for August 8-12. Is that really a full five days of orientation? I am supposed to stand up in a friend's wedding on the 12th so I'm wondering what we're thinking that week may look like. Thanks in advance!
It is a full five days of orientationā€” typically late-morning/early afternoon. Thereā€™s team building, games, multiple presentations, panels, photos, tours and more! If you canā€™t make a day, reach out now! Theyā€™ll work with you!

It is a full five days of orientationā€” typically late-morning/early afternoon. Thereā€™s team building, games, multiple presentations, panels, photos, tours and more! If you canā€™t make a day, reach out now! Theyā€™ll work with you!
Thank you for the quick response! Does it make sense to reach out to the admissions folks?

Thank you for the quick response! Does it make sense to reach out to the admissions folks?
Iā€™m honestly not 100% certainā€” you can start with them, or see if you can reach out to Paul Edwards or Dr. Hilda Abreu! They should be able to help direct you as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there!! Sorry for the delay in response, if Iā€™m being honest I had to disconnect for a sec to rein in the emotions of being wait listed again.šŸ„“ Last year I was waitlisted at #33 and this year I was waitlisted at #43, which was a hugeeee disappointment. After taking the week to reflect, realistically I didnā€™t show a ton of ā€œgrowthā€ between the cycles. My main focus was on working(at a small animal clinic to add experience) and saving money to lessen the financial burden of going to school. Hind site, I could have maybe taken more classes or expanded my experiences with research, etc. On top of that, I absolutely bombed the CASPer test, like lowest quartile bombed which I feel really put a dent in my chances. I was accepted to Ross and initially my plan was to take that opportunity so I could finally just start school already. But after discussing it with my husband, financially for our family it would be an additional at least $100k to go to Ross instead of MSU. On top of the additional costs, my husband wouldnā€™t be able to find a great job on island to help offset that debt while Iā€™m in school so instead of working to pay off my debts we would be accruing more. Soooo long story short after many tears and sleepless nights Iā€™ve made the decision to try AGAIN to get into MSU! Financially it makes wayyy more sense for our family, plus MSU is truly an amazing school. So anyone out there with multiple cycles under their belts that ended with an acceptance feel free to throw any advice my way! šŸ¤žšŸ¼ For interviews this round!

For the record, I do believe Ross is a great school as well! It wasnā€™t an easy decision to pass my Ross acceptance. It took A LOT of pros and cons lists and crunching numbers to ultimately make my decision. I truly believe that whatever decision you make will be best for you and your circumstances. Best of luck!! šŸ„°

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
They let me know that all days are mandatory and failure to attend will result in the rescind of my offer. So if anyone is reading this, mark your calendars for that week because they really do mean mandatory. See you all in August.

They let me know that all days are mandatory and failure to attend will result in the rescind of my offer. So if anyone is reading this, mark your calendars for that week because they really do mean mandatory. See you all in August.

Really? Thatā€™s crazy. I know a few people last year who missed days due to prior commitments (one being a wedding as well). That really sucks thoughā€” Iā€™m sorry. Can I ask who you spoke with?

Really? Thatā€™s crazy. I know a few people last year who missed days due to prior commitments (one being a wedding as well). That really sucks thoughā€” Iā€™m sorry. Can I ask who you spoke with?
I emailed Admissions and Sarah Davis responded. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I don't want to be impolite, but I would consider reaching out to someone else for a second opinion.

I emailed Admissions and Sarah Davis responded. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I don't want to be impolite, but I would consider reaching out to someone else for a second opinion.

You could try reaching out directly to Paul Edwards. No offense to orientationā€” I had fun and learned a lotā€” but missing a single day of orientation to be in a wedding will not impair your start to veterinary school in the slightest.

Has anyone received the email to complete the background check yet? Just want to make sure it didn't get lost in spam or something.

are they going to offer in person campus tour? i wanna to visit the university before making a decision!!

Hi everyone!! Do any current students have any thoughts on the safety of East Lansing and the campus surroundings? A lot of the research I have done suggests that it is not a very safe town with high crime rates, but I would like to hear from anyone who actually goes there to get a first-hand opinion.

are they going to offer in person campus tour? i wanna to visit the university before making a decision!!
They arenā€™t :-( but you can go and get a self-tour guide from from the university admissions dept.

Hi everyone!! Do any current students have any thoughts on the safety of East Lansing and the campus surroundings? A lot of the research I have done suggests that it is not a very safe town with high crime rates, but I would like to hear from anyone who actually goes there to get a first-hand opinion.
Have you compared the rates to your current town? It looked like that to my husband too but when we looked at other towns we had lived in & were familiar with (felt safe in) and weā€™re surprised to see that it was much higher in those places than in Lansing.

With offers now out, I doubt theyā€™ll coordinate any sort of tour since theyā€™ll be doing one during orientation week. That said, you can always visit campus yourself, and reach out to see about getting a personal tour since campus is relaxing Covid protocols.
I donā€™t live in Lansing, but I grew up around Lansing and have family there. Like most big cities and college towns, there are areas that are a bit more dangerous than others, of course, but the areas around campus and campus itself are pretty safe. Thereā€™s only been a couple of times during my first year that weā€™ve gotten notifs from campus police about possible crimes on campus.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never felt particularly unsafe on campus or in the surrounding areas. One thing I love about campus is that it's all contained (with the exception of the dairy farm/pavilion, which are a bit south of campus). It's not like some other campuses that are intermingled with the surrounding city and have the potential for the city's inhabitants to wander onto campus.

The MSU police department also has an alert system that brings our attention to any crime that happens on campus or in the immediate surrounding area, and most of the notifications I've gotten from them concern moped thefts. I can remember very few instances where I've gotten a notification about a violent crime.

If safety is a big concern for you- I don't think the East Lansing area should be a big concern- particularly in the areas south of campus. If you're looking at the Lansing area, I would suggest doing a bit more research since it's a big city with good and bad neighborhoods.

Just got an email from MSU confirming that they received all my forms/deposit.

They said they'd contact us after April 15th with instructions to activate our email and give us enrollment instructions. Yay, one step closer!

Hi there! I have some questions about MSU (wanting to clarify perspectives I got from a recent MSU grad) and would love to message a current CVM student -- are there any current students on here that wouldnt mind me messaging? thanks in advance!

Hi there! I have some questions about MSU (wanting to clarify perspectives I got from a recent MSU grad) and would love to message a current CVM student -- are there any current students on here that wouldnt mind me messaging? thanks in advance!
I am a 4th year

Iā€™m a first yearā€” you can message me as well!

Been thinking a whole lot about what my finances will look like. Current students, do you feel like you are able to get by with the allowance given to you for living expenses /transportation /utilities? When I went to the webinar I recall someone telling us that it equal out to 1800$ a month or something like that? And I have to use that for car, car insurance, food, rent, phone, other bills, etc.? That's what I understood. Maybe I'm wrong? šŸ˜…

Hey there! Iā€™m going to be visiting campus (unofficially) today ā€” contacted admissions, and they sent me info on a self guided tour, which Iā€™ll be doing, but itā€™s only for main campus. Do any students (or MI residents!) have any tips on what I should see while walking around the veterinary campus?
Iā€™m interested in mixed practice, so would love to see the LA facilities if Iā€™d be able to?
(any favorite lunch recommendations would be appreciated too! :) )

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not they've moved up on the waitlist?

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not they've moved up on the waitlist?
Yes, I received an email back at 12:50pm today that I moved from 121 to 108. So definitely some movement!

Yes, I received an email back at 12:50pm today that I moved from 121 to 108. So definitely some movement!
That's great! I'm just confused because I'm number 6 OOS and they told me I didn't move. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
That's great! I'm just confused because I'm number 6 four out of state and they told me I didn't move. Am I missing something?
most likely the people who declined their spot are above you on the waitlist. Thatā€™s why you didnā€™t move from your spot. The only time you will move is if 1,2,3,4 or 5 declined their spots or get accepted.

No movement from the in state waitlist šŸ˜¢ at least above mid 30s.

I moved from 123 to 110.... I definitely donā€™t have hope but yay movement!

Does anyone know if there are specific technology requirements? I was wanting to start looking for a tablet for notes. Thanks in advance!!

The wait sucks, but most movement isnā€™t going to occur until after decision day in Aprilā€” so keep holding onto that hope.

Does anyone know if there are specific technology requirements? I was wanting to start looking for a tablet for notes. Thanks in advance!!

Nope! No technology requirements specifically. I do, however, recommend a good laptop and an ipad with an apple pencil! You will need a laptop for sure, not just an ipad with a keyboard attachment. Our exam software requires an actual laptopā€” but it can be a macbook, dell, etc.

The wait sucks, but most movement isnā€™t going to occur until after decision day in Aprilā€” so keep holding onto that hope.

Nope! No technology requirements specifically. I do, however, recommend a good laptop and an ipad with an apple pencil! You will need a laptop for sure, not just an ipad with a keyboard attachment. Our exam software requires an actual laptopā€” but it can be a macbook, dell, etc.
I have a MacBook already. I was wanting to get an iPad for notes just not sure which one to go with. Also debating an Apple Watch if you have an opinion on that

I have a MacBook already. I was wanting to get an iPad for notes just not sure which one to go with. Also debating an Apple Watch if you have an opinion on that

The cheapest ipad you can get that still works with an apple pencil, honestly! I got an 8th gen ipad and since I only really use it for school and notes, I saw no need to get a fancy ipad. It works perfect for me!

Honestly, donā€™t have much of an opinion on an apple watch. šŸ˜… I donā€™t have one (I have a fitbit versa) so I donā€™t know anything about them? It could be helpful for timing purposes when taking HRs and RRs!

The cheapest ipad you can get that still works with an apple pencil, honestly! I got an 8th gen ipad and since I only really use it for school and notes, I saw no need to get a fancy ipad. It works perfect for me!

Honestly, donā€™t have much of an opinion on an apple watch. šŸ˜… I donā€™t have one (I have a fitbit versa) so I donā€™t know anything about them? It could be helpful for timing purposes when taking HRs and RRs!
Thank you! Thatā€™s the reason I was debating an Apple Watch for the timers and stuff

Thank you! Thatā€™s the reason I was debating an Apple Watch for the timers and stuff

If you want a smart watch for other purposes as well, then go for it! But I know classmates who got a cheap Walmart watch with clock hands since you really only need a second hand! ^^