MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, he was a little bit chubbier fella with brown hair. That's about the best I can do.

you have a way with words, my friend.

Members don't see this ad.

Indo, I think you're getting your note-writing spaces confused....this is SDN. There's probably some Gyn patient's chart at the nurse's station with a smartass response to Agent Splat written in it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, he was a little bit chubbier fella with brown hair. That's about the best I can do.
I can think of a few guys to fit that description, but nobody that would kick off their shoes and lay on a hospital bed for a while. Those are all skinny guys with dark hair...

And I just went to Potowatomi for the first time and left $200 richer. Sweeeet. Got four aces on video poker with a payout of 320x your bet, which was fifty cents.

Indo, I think you're getting your note-writing spaces confused....this is SDN. There's probably some Gyn patient's chart at the nurse's station with a smartass response to Agent Splat written in it now.

Well, that is the only thing I know how to do after my ob/gyn rotation. Well, I'm also able to accidentally elicit the entire life story of every patient and their spouse/ significant other.

Well, that is the only thing I know how to do after my ob/gyn rotation. Well, I'm also able to accidentally elicit the entire life story of every patient and their spouse/ significant other.

ER patients have a low threshold for spewing out their entire life story as well. I'm amazed that somebody in "10 out of 10!" pain will glady go on and on about every little incident and detail of their pain for the last 3 months even before we've gotten an IV or any pain meds for them.

ER patients have a low threshold for spewing out their entire life story as well. I'm amazed that somebody in "10 out of 10!" pain will glady go on and on about every little incident and detail of their pain for the last 3 months even before we've gotten an IV or any pain meds for them.
Yeah, that definitely doesn't amaze me any more.

Actually, that makes sense to me. If they've been in pain for that long, they're dying to talk about it because it's taken over their lives and their family and friends have probably heard it several times.

Actually, that makes sense to me. If they've been in pain for that long, they're dying to talk about it because it's taken over their lives and their family and friends have probably heard it several times.

Or.

And maybe this is just the cynic in me...

It's just like every other lie/half-truth where the liar thinks that by adding details and fleshing out the story they can get the listener to buy the crap they're spewing (and maybe just maybe prescribe an opiate!)

Now you may think this is just DocFunk being a jerk again, but please remember the patient population we're discussing here. Emergency medicine.

I think I've said enough.

Honestly, I don't buy it. A 10/10 pain truly means the worst pain you could possibly imagine. I can buy it for a few conditions, but I usually don't truly believe it. If you can laugh at a joke, your pain COULD be worse. If it were a 10, it couldn't get any worse.

yeah, if someone says "10" out of 10 then I just assume they mean 5...unless they are on fire.

Usually when I explain the scale to people I say "0 being no pain and 10 being a beating by a group of angry thugs with baseball bats." When I put it that way they usually say 9.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually when I explain the scale to people I say "0 being no pain and 10 being a beating by a group of angry thugs with baseball bats." When I put it that way they usually say 9.

and if they still say 10, do you get the group of thugs to beat them so they can be SURE it's a 10?

and if they still say 10, do you get the group of thugs to beat them so they can be SURE it's a 10?

No, but I did see an attending do the chest thump thing during a code on a conscious patient. With no warning, the guy just gave him a swift punch in the sternum, as the patient looks at him with this expression of "did you seriously just punch me?"

No, but I did see an attending do the chest thump thing during a code on a conscious patient. With no warning, the guy just gave him a swift punch in the sternum, as the patient looks at him with this expression of "did you seriously just punch me?"

awesome.

was the patient mouthing off or something?

was the patient mouthing off or something?

No he was just sitting there in vtach with a worried look on his face, probably not helped any by the fact that no one seemed to know how to work the defib paddles (this was why the attending decided to try the chest thump in the meantime). Overall it was a highly irregular code.

No he was just sitting there in vtach with a worried look on his face, probably not helped any by the fact that no one seemed to know how to work the defib paddles (this was why the attending decided to try the chest thump in the meantime). Overall it was a highly irregular code.

omg!!!! i can't believe nobody knew how to use that stuff!

He's looking at you with sad eyes saying, "Help me, doctor; help me."

If only you could get the text to reflect that deep monotone voice.
Which reminds me: do any of you have any study sheets for the EKG test? He uses the same material every year, so I'm wondering if there's a Maven's Guide floating around out there somewhere.

omg!!!! i can't believe nobody knew how to use that stuff!

They had the old style paddles rather than the more common sticky leads, but still they should have been familiar with their own equipment considering it was the stress test lab.

Which reminds me: do any of you have any study sheets for the EKG test? He uses the same material every year, so I'm wondering if there's a Maven's Guide floating around out there somewhere.

you don't need one.

Just maven the sucker and you'll do fine. I didn't even finish writing down my interp. of the last EKG and still passed.

Dr. S told me right out that the mavens basically all pass automatically. He will still grade it for the sake of feedback. Also don't forget he is one of the higher honchos making decisions about AOA if you are interested in that.

Dr. S told me right out that the mavens basically all pass automatically. He will still grade it for the sake of feedback. Also don't forget he is one of the higher honchos making decisions about AOA if you are interested in that.
Interested? Yes. Eligible? HA! Probably not gonna happen, unless there's a prize for being in the middle of the class.

I don't remember getting any feeback on that exam.

He's looking at you with sad eyes saying, "Help me, doctor; help me."

I just laughed out loud in Starbucks because of this post.

:laugh:

2zqu6nb.gif

Has anybody done the PM&R elective? How much should I invest in my student presentation? It's not in the syllabus at all, but they told us at rotation orientation that we'd have to do one. I don't think Sep much cares, but I don't want to blow it off, either.

and I'm back to selling all my textbooks - this time it's USMLE review material. No worries, Funk, I'm not selling the stuff you generously gave ;) My little sib is about to get a ton of materials.

sweet, I've already sold three books in two days - Wheaters, Basic Immuno, and HY Neuroanatomy.

ugh, getting up early is so much worse when it's still kind of dark out, and yes, I know it'll get worse.

ugh, getting up early is so much worse when it's still kind of dark out, and yes, I know it'll get worse.

Worse is when it is totally dark both when you get to the hospital and when you leave. Now that is depressing.

During winter that could happen just on an 8 hour shift.

During winter that could happen just on an 8 hour shift.

I remember leaving the Dert on a Saturday in February at like 1 or 2pm after going in to round for surg, and it was bright outside. I think it was the first time I had seen the full effect of the sun in 6 weeks.

Worse is when it is totally dark both when you get to the hospital and when you leave. Now that is depressing.
Oh, I had plenty of study days like that. My wife dropped me off at 6:30, and I didn't get home until 6-7pm. Dark both times.

Prowler, Amanda at the ME's office says "hi." I just finally realized the connection when she mentioned the other day that she saw a former coworker come through with the M2 student groups last year, and then was talking today about when she worked for Curtis.