MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prowler, Amanda at the ME's office says "hi." I just finally realized the connection when she mentioned the other day that she saw a former coworker come through with the M2 student groups last year, and then was talking today about when she worked for Curtis.
Oh, haha. I talked to her for a little bit when I saw her there. She said she loves that job. I guess I can see her being interested in the morbid side of things.

Members don't see this ad.

oh, I can't wait until I actually get a whole weekend off. shoot, I'll just be glad to have my first day off since the 13th.

oh, I can't wait until I actually get a whole weekend off. shoot, I'll just be glad to have my first day off since the 13th.

Ugh. I remember when I was on medicine I was on for nearly 4 weeks without a single day off. I had my black weekend at the end of the month at one site, changed sites on Thursday, and then a black weekend my first weekend at the next site. Painful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh. I remember when I was on medicine I was on for nearly 4 weeks without a single day off. I had my black weekend at the end of the month at one site, changed sites on Thursday, and then a black weekend my first weekend at the next site. Painful.
holy crap, that blows. my golden weekend landed in between 'dert and Joe's, and thankfully, there's an automatic golden weekend on surgery in between sites.

Ah, the joys of residency. I've worked every day since Sep 16, and will continue to work every day until my next day off, which is October 11. October 12th, for the record, I'll be at work. :) The next time I have two days in a row off? Christmas.

What's even better about residency? I love it.

Ah, the joys of residency. I've worked every day since Sep 16, and will continue to work every day until my next day off, which is October 11. October 12th, for the record, I'll be at work. :) The next time I have two days in a row off? Christmas.

What is this residency thing, and are we required to do it?

And is Kalamazoo awesome? They have my application.

Awesome... depends on what you want. For me, no. For you, perhaps. More specific questions about the zoo and I'm happy to answer them. My sisters are there, so is my Mom. So that makes it... something something.

They're making you work Yom Kippur and Columbus Day? Heartless.

Do you guys think my new tagline is inappropriate? I couldn't fit "Pair o' cocks? Idiot! Mike O's is."

If you think it's inappropriate I'll use "Blast! Oh, Mike O's is."

Do you guys think my new tagline is inappropriate? I couldn't fit "Pair o' cocks? Idiot! Mike O's is."

Not inappropriate, but I think the blast one works better.

you're already a resident with nobody to impress on SDN. make it whatever you want.

I, personally, am VERY easily offended.

I'm offended by how much Journey is played in the city of Milwaukee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Morning is the best part of the day.

That being said, the two things I'm looking forward to from this month of ortho is have >2 days off in a month and waking up after 4:30am.

Morning is the best part of the day.

That being said, the two things I'm looking forward to from this month of ortho is have >2 days off in a month and waking up after 4:30am.

My month of emergency psychiatry is building up...last night I had a dream I slashed my own wrists. Good thing the month is ending soon.

They're making you work Yom Kippur and Columbus Day? Heartless.

Hey, one of those holidays I actually celebrate. And they did offer me Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off, but I figured I'd work anyway. I have four cases tomorrow too, so it was probably a good choice.

(Yes, I'm intentionally ignoring your mockery. SO THERE!)

24 y/o M
+pallor
+nausea
+emesis (in facemask while running out of OR)
+diarrhea

Oh, I love being sick. First time in the OR with that surgeon too. I hope this clears up before I'm on trauma call tomorrow.

24 y/o M
+pallor
+nausea
+emesis (in facemask while running out of OR)
+diarrhea

A/P: 24 yo M with dysentery. Colonoscopy with possible biopsy scheduled, consider serial antibiotic enemas; further plan per GI and ID.

dysentery.jpg

samenewme, you should know that on ob/gyn the ob part seems to be where 70% of your evaluation comments come from.

Did you get the case files book? hopefully nobody stoled it. If I had known we would both be at Joe's I could have just brought it to you.

Also, for the shelf, the UWise questions were good prep. You should try to finish those before the shelf. I used them and case files and did fairly well...didn't set any new records but that score definitely wasn't the low-light of my grade. ha. ob/gyn....whateva.

samenewme, you should know that on ob/gyn the ob part seems to be where 70% of your evaluation comments come from.

Did you get the case files book? hopefully nobody stoled it. If I had known we would both be at Joe's I could have just brought it to you.

Also, for the shelf, the UWise questions were good prep. You should try to finish those before the shelf. I used them and case files and did fairly well...didn't set any new records but that score definitely wasn't the low-light of my grade. ha. ob/gyn....whateva.

Got it! Nobody stoled it. They probably thought it was a big stack of Kaplan fliers. You are a rock star! What are the UWise questions?

I don't remember what UWISE stands for but it is an OB/Gyn question bank that you can access through angel, I believe. There are 1000 questions if I remember correctly. They're arranged by subject so they're pretty useful to study.

So I'm currently sitting in an L&D room at St. Joe's waiting for my wife to pop a baby out. Hopefully by morning. The nurse just came in and gave me a really dirty look when she saw I was using her nursing laptop.

They kicked me out of the room for the epidural placement because it is "policy for the sake of maintaining sterile technique." Funny, at Froedtert for our first baby they didn't kick me out as an almost M3 who knew nothing about sterile technique.

So I'm currently sitting in an L&D room at St. Joe's waiting for my wife to pop a baby out. Hopefully by morning. The nurse just came in and gave me a really dirty look when she saw I was using her nursing laptop.

They kicked me out of the room for the epidural placement because it is "policy for the sake of maintaining sterile technique." Funny, at Froedtert for our first baby they didn't kick me out as an almost M3 who knew nothing about sterile technique.

good luck! i want news when available.

st marys didnt kick the dad out

Yay! It's a boy (we knew that already). I even got to deliver him.

Yay! It's a boy (we knew that already). I even got to deliver him.

Congrats!

You WANTED to deliver him (coming from the person who made it through med school without delivering a baby).

My dad refused to deliver my sister when people thought that the attending wouldn't make it to the hospital in time, and there weren't residents available. Somehow, I think they found a resident.

That's a good lookin' kid. Woohoo!

Speaking of OB nurses ruling the world; I heard that a couple OB nurses at St. Mary's refused to start Pitocin and told the resident that if they wanted Pitocin they would have to start it.

Speaking of OB nurses ruling the world; I heard that a couple OB nurses at St. Mary's refused to start Pitocin and told the resident that if they wanted Pitocin they would have to start it.

I didn't come across this... i dunno.

nice. How do you like trauma? The trauma surgeons seem like good peoples.

nice. How do you like trauma? The trauma surgeons seem like good peoples.
it's cool. You're not in on a lot of surgeries when you're not on call though, but I scrubbed in 3-4 times a day at Waukesha, so I suppose it balances out.

ugh, I'm really not doing well on Surgery Pretest. These questions are brutal.

*Insert obligatory "If you're not doing well on Surgery Pretest you'll never make a good doctor" post here*

and now it's off to peds. I actually thought I'd slept in when I woke up and there was sunlight in my room. I'm so used to getting up at 4:30 when it's pitch black.