MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, my fat ass was busy getting honors grades all year (and not taking legalized speed).

Take THAT! ;)

it wasn't so much the legalspeed as it was the constant laxative abuse.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to say I have net a 10 lb gain over 3rd year. Somehow, on surgery rotations, when I ony have time to eat maybe 1 meal, I gain weight. My metabolism is f'ed. I lost weight on peds, and gained on surgery, obgyn, and surg sub-I.

On a postive note, I am still down ~10 lbs from M1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry to say I have net a 10 lb gain over 3rd year. Somehow, on surgery rotations, when I ony have time to eat maybe 1 meal, I gain weight. My metabolism is f'ed. I lost weight on peds, and gained on surgery, obgyn, and surg sub-I.

On a postive note, I am still down ~10 lbs from M1 year.

Ditto to having gained about 10lb this year (and congrats to you) =). However, I'm still down about 40lb from when I started med school. But since I'm on Maui for a month, this is not a good thing for my weight.

I lost weight on all the rotations where I didn't necessarily get to eat much -- OB/gyn, ortho, surgery, CPR. St. Joes I had free food, so that wasn't a good thing for losing weight -- most of it was pretty decent.

can we get Up to Date at home? It's not an option on MCW's library proxy page.

Amaising.

I hope I don't have to do that on my medicine sub-I.

It's just the ICU team, for the most part. That and the other 9000 people that are nearby and feel like showing up.

It's just the ICU team, for the most part. That and the other 9000 people that are nearby and feel like showing up.

and generally surgery likes to take care of their own.

at least its not like the clusterf*** that occurs at the VA during a code.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay for 4-day weekends! I'm tired...

Hey guys,

I am no longer a med student for quite sometime now. I will be a fellow at MCW for the year 2009 and is looking for a room, $500 and less with everything included AND 1 underground/indoor parking space for my spanking new ride.

A bit about me: Asian, male, 36 year old, easy going, clean after myself. I am married with two kids. My wife and children are staying back at our house in Chicago suburb. I will be mainly staying if the Milwaukee apartment 4 nights a week. I will go back to Chicago for Fri through Sun nights. One weekend a month, I may remain in Milwaukee for call duty (but in the hospital throughout the daytime). I have checked out several places through craigslist but either the people, the neighborhood or the lack of a garage turned me off.

You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 224-558-3073. I need a room ASAP. Any other question about med school, just shoot. U of California, Irvine is my med school alma mater.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Keith

Good luck with that. Covered parking for all the roommates is tough to come by.

Bah. why do I need a 7am class on EKGs? how about noon? I have to round on all my patients beforehand, because my resident wants me to go to the grand rounds with the senior resident, and rounds are right after that, so I'll be pre-rounding at 6am at 'dert.

Bah. why do I need a 7am class on EKGs? how about noon? I have to round on all my patients beforehand, because my resident wants me to go to the grand rounds with the senior resident, and rounds are right after that, so I'll be pre-rounding at 6am at 'dert.

*sheds a single, solitary tear*

I'll be at CHW today at 10am for rounds, with no prerounding or note-writing necessary. 4th year, baby.

Just wait until your surgery resident at the VA wants to round at 0500 every Wednesday so you can get over to Froedtert for M&M.

Just wait until your surgery resident at the VA wants to round at 0500 every Wednesday so you can get over to Froedtert for M&M.

Is 5 starting rounds? That was our typical start time on ortho and GS2, except GS2 I had to preround (my favorite part about early rounding was leaving my apartment so early the roads weren't plowed yet). Ugh.

Apparently UCI's ortho starts rounding at 6AM! I'm so stoked that it's late.

seriously, that's just uncalled for. I'm not looking forward to the medicine shelf AT ALL.

4:30 for me. that sucked. tues and wed for vascular to get over to the dert.

i love that ortho doesn't believe in prerounding. the earliest we rounded was 5:15 and that was only once or twice. Mostly 5:45 or 6am.

a whole year of this and i'm still not a morning person.

Looking to clear some room on the old bookcase and thought I might try advertising here first for the new M3s. I've got 6 Case Files books I bought new last year. Looking to sell them for $15 apiece, will cut total price to $80 if the lucky buyer wants the whole set. Books include the latest editions of:
Case Files Pediatrics
Case Files Surgery
Case Files Internal Medicine
Case Files Family Medicine
Case Files Obstetrics & Gynecology
Case Files Psychiatry

These books are all in good shape--there may be some mild-mod highlighting in a few of them, but most of them I don't believe I marked up much. I think it's fair to say that the consensus among M4s is that this series of books pretty much constitutes the primary study source for most rotations.

I also have the 4th editions of Blueprints Pediatrics and Blueprints Obstetrics&Gynecology that I would be willing to sell. I'll let the Peds book (no highlighting at all that I can find) go for $20 and the Ob-Gyn book (mod-heavy highlighting) go for $15.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or requests. I'll give SDN about a week before I go ahead and post these around the school building. ;)

Last edited:
Looking to clear some room on the old bookcase and thought I might try advertising here first for the new M3s. I've got 6 Case Files books I bought new last year. Looking to sell them for $15 apiece, will cut total price to $80 if the lucky buyer wants the whole set. Books include the latest editions of:
Case Files Pediatrics
Case Files Surgery
Case Files Internal Medicine
Case Files Family Medicine
Case Files Obstetrics & Gynecology
Case Files Psychiatry

These books are all in good shape--there may be some mild-mod highlighting in a few of them, but most of them I don't believe I marked up much. I think it's fair to say that the consensus among M4s is that this series of books pretty much constitutes the primary study source for most rotations.

I also have the 4th editions of Blueprints Pediatrics and Blueprints Obstetrics&Gynecology that I would be willing to sell. I'll let the Peds book (no highlighting at all that I can find) go for $20 and the Ob-Gyn book (mod-heavy highlighting) go for $30.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or requests. I'll give SDN about a week before I go ahead and post these around the school building. ;)

Why on earth did you buy all those casefiles if we only had 4 shelf exams? And why is the peds Blueprints with no highlighting cheaper than OB/gyn with?

Très confusing.

Why on earth did you buy all those casefiles if we only had 4 shelf exams? And why is the peds Blueprints with no highlighting cheaper than OB/gyn with?

Très confusing.

1) Case Files books are teh rawk. Great ways to read up on your patient cases in a more efficient way than going straight to Uptodate. So that was my reasoning for picking up the surgery and family med books.

2) Pricing was based on amazon pricing, which shows a different suggested retail value for the peds and ob-gyn blueprints. (You know what, evidently there are two different listings for the Blueprints OB-Gyn on amazon, and the 2nd one has the same pricing as blueprints peds. Price adjusted in original post to reflect this. Thanks for the heads-up Ash!)

1) Case Files books are teh rawk. Great ways to read up on your patient cases in a more efficient way than going straight to Uptodate. So that was my reasoning for picking up the surgery and family med books.

2) Pricing was based on amazon pricing, which shows a different suggested retail value for the peds and ob-gyn blueprints. (You know what, evidently there are two different listings for the Blueprints OB-Gyn on amazon, and the 2nd one has the same pricing as blueprints peds. Price adjusted in original post to reflect this. Thanks for the heads-up Ash!)

I didn't want you to get LESS money. I wondered why the prices were flipped. Sorry. =(

I guess I never used Case Files like that. I used them for shelf studying only. Read them in order. I used the texts/blueprints to study up on patients. I don't like UpToDate that much.

Hey, please tell me about crosscountry skiing in milwaukee? does the snow even stay there or is it like boston/nyc(have to drive at least 3hrs to get any serious snow)? any parks in the city for skiing? and for the summer, do people go to the sandy beaches of lake michigan, or does it suck?
thanks

Beaches on Lake Michigan are meh, but there are lots of nice lakes around the area that aren't any farther than the drive from Tosa to the lake - Lake Nagawicka, Pike Lake, Pewaukee Lake, Lannon Quarry, etc.

You could cross country ski in lots of parks around here, and yes, the snow will stick around for a while. The closest park is probably right along the Menomonee River, which is less than a mile from MCW.

Back in my day you had to wait for them to send the scores to you by snailmail. And you walked uphill both ways to the post office 5 miles away to get it.

Yay! DONE! Never have to take Step 1 again! Yay!

Yay! DONE! Never have to take Step 1 again! Yay!

Congratulations!

Now as the spokesperson for the school administration, I feel it is my duty to strongly urge you to start studying for Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS immediately. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Thank you! As the spokesperson for smartasses everywhere, I strongly urge you to kiss my butt.

Metaphorically, of course.

Study! Silly man. Of course I'm too busy preparing for TBL and reading about my patients!

Can someone make recommendations on books for first semester second year?

You don't need a pharm book, the notes are sufficient, and you can always access Goodman and Gilman online. If you want to buy it, it's like $150.

I just used path books and Goodman and Gillman. Health policy doesn't count as a class; it's a waste of time.

Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple AND any edition of the Basic Immunology text they require. Immuno is not a fun happy party and you may need the book to understand it.

I used Basic Robbins from the library for Path, but they're reworking the course to be based of Goljan's review book this year, so all bets are off there.

Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple AND any edition of the Basic Immunology text they require. Immuno is not a fun happy party and you may need the book to understand it.

I used Basic Robbins from the library for Path, but they're reworking the course to be based of Goljan's review book this year, so all bets are off there.

Wow, I totally read Allerian's post as "second semester," but I also had just woken up.

Allerian, my 2 cents. I didn't like CMMRS, use the Lange Micro and Immuno I gave you. Much better. I also told you my opinion of the Abbas text. Thank you for ridding me of that book. Also, if you need anything else for immuno, I go borrow my Janeway if I'm not back by the time you need it. It explains things much better than their text, and although half the pictures are from Abbas, the other half are from Janeway.

Congrats on getting step 1 scores!

Ugh, this blows. I'm on call today, but there's NOTHING going on now, so I've got 5 hours to kill, and then I have to take an admission and write it up, but I'm exhausted....

time to go sleep in the library

Yeah dood. Are you on medicine or surgery?

It turns out, nobody uses generic drug names.

also, ob/gyn is a massive ocean of estrogen.

medicine...you had a punctuation error on page 4 of your H+P.

Peter Francis Geraci should be removed.

medicine...you had a punctuation error on page 4 of your H+P.
I was actually told about an extra comma, but in the case of that attending, he will never be correcting my spelling, and I saw a few errors of his. It's a good thing my spelling and grammar are up to par.