MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's the case where you're supposed to slap the patient across the face to get them to tell you stuff. For serious.
And I'm done with my M3 clinical duties. One test and one OSCE left, and I'll be an SMS, which is "Still a Med Student?" according to Ashers and Matt T. I guess that's better than a Just a Med Student.

Members don't see this ad.

And I'm done with my M3 clinical duties. One test and one OSCE left, and I'll be an SMS, which is "Still a Med Student?" according to Ashers and Matt T. I guess that's better than a Just a Med Student.

It's DEFINITELY better than being Just a Med Student. If you don't have a great year, you have F'd up somewhere.

nice. my little sister just tested positive for swine flu, and my brother, who was around her for several days while she was sick, just left for boot camp. And I was around her for a while on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday....and I work in a hospital. Oink oink.

What ever happened with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
What ever happened with this?
Pretty sure I had it. Chris Mol gave me a script for Tamiflu, and I got sent home on Friday morning from the VA. Had a long weekend, was sick all weekend, felt much better by Monday. My resident got sick too, but she was negative for swine flu. I think I had the oink oink, but it wasn't that bad.

Have fun, you residents! surgery sub-I starts at 5:30am, haha.

Pretty sure I had it. Chris Mol gave me a script for Tamiflu, and I got sent home on Friday morning from the VA. Had a long weekend, was sick all weekend, felt much better by Monday. My resident got sick too, but she was negative for swine flu. I think I had the oink oink, but it wasn't that bad.

Have fun, you residents! surgery sub-I starts at 5:30am, haha.

You're not gonna whine about getting up early again every morning, are you?

Let the madness commence. Or continue. Or something. :)

Does anyone have any knowledge about our Emergency program here...what scores are competitive, how hard it is to get in, how to make yourself a good candidate?

Any help is appreciated!

Does anyone have any knowledge about our Emergency program here...what scores are competitive, how hard it is to get in, how to make yourself a good candidate?

Any help is appreciated!

It's a good, solid program. The competitiveness is probably on par or a little higher than the average program.

To be even more competitive, be a University of Wisconsin student instead of an MCW student.

:(

I think being an MCW student gives you and 1up in anesthesia and peds.

Oh well. It worked out because I love where I'm at. My experience on my EM rotation at MCW would have been enough to turn me away from them if it weren't for other factors.

anybody know when you actually need to register for the match? I want to submit my ERAS as soon as I can, but the NRMP is another $50, and I'd like to put that off for a few weeks...

anybody know when you actually need to register for the match? I want to submit my ERAS as soon as I can, but the NRMP is another $50, and I'd like to put that off for a few weeks...

I think before November. It should say on the nrmp website when it changes. The school starts harrassing the class when it comes close to the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The emails I'm getting from the school are getting progressively more irritable. What the hell is going on?

She has those extraordinary family stresses alluded to in her earlier e-mail. Her supervisor should be helping her out by editing her e-mails after the first one went out.

btw, Jean Sunby won't be in her office between 11 and noon. Those aren't her usual office hours anyways, but I thought you should know.

OMG, I think the best part about graduating so far has been the blissful lack of updates about her availability.

Agree with Ashers - it definitely doesn't matter if you put this off, as long as you register before the deadline which is a few months away.

I definitely recommend all of you to try to get ERAS submitted right away on the 1st of September. I was getting interview offers two days later already, even though I didn't have all my LORs in until well into October.

If you don't have a phone that alerts you about e-mails, set up a rule in Outlook to have interview invite e-mails from ERAS sent to your pager. I was on a rotation where I could take a minute to reply right away and get the good interview dates, and I think it helped me arrange a sweet interview schedule.

This is an exciting time of year!

Agree with Ashers - it definitely doesn't matter if you put this off, as long as you register before the deadline which is a few months away.

I definitely recommend all of you to try to get ERAS submitted right away on the 1st of September. I was getting interview offers two days later already, even though I didn't have all my LORs in until well into October.

If you don't have a phone that alerts you about e-mails, set up a rule in Outlook to have interview invite e-mails from ERAS sent to your pager. I was on a rotation where I could take a minute to reply right away and get the good interview dates, and I think it helped me arrange a sweet interview schedule.

This is an exciting time of year!
how do you set up a rule like that? and can I do it through the online OWAmail?

how do you set up a rule like that? and can I do it through the online OWAmail?

Yeah, you can do it through OWA. I don't have access to MCW e-mail here at St. Luke's right now, so I can't take you through it step-by-step, but if you go to your "Options" and then "Rules" you can set one up so it forwards anything from [email protected] (or whatever domain the ERAS e-mails come from, I can't remember) to your pager ([email protected]). Make sure to select the option to keep a copy in your inbox.

You won't be able to read the whole message, but you will get enough to know it's an invite and that you need to check your e-mail ASAP.

Last edited:

This is pretty field-specific. I submitted on 1 Sept and didn't have any invites for nearly 2 months. Which is normal for rad onc.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend you procrastinate it. Some programs do multiple application downloads but I think others just go in once and download everything that has been submitted by mid-late Sept and never look again.

This is pretty field-specific. I submitted on 1 Sept and didn't have any invites for nearly 2 months. Which is normal for rad onc.

You make a good point. I remember hearing similar comments from Dermatology applicants last year. I'm willing to bet that the timeline for interview invites is somewhat correlated with the competitiveness of the field. I think some of the less competitive specialties feel like they have to rush to lock down interviews with applicants earlier.

You make a good point. I remember hearing similar comments from Dermatology applicants last year. I'm willing to bet that the timeline for interview invites is somewhat correlated with the competitiveness of the field. I think some of the less competitive specialties feel like they have to rush to lock down interviews with applicants earlier.

Well part of it for rad onc is that the big conference of the year is usually in October, and none of the PDs want to think about interviews until after it's over. My only point is that there is a lot of variation.

I also seem to remember a person complaining about the lack of initial invites for ortho until well after the Dean's Letter went out.

I'm totally glad I no longer get updates about when people are not in their office.

Sweet! APAMSA hosted a blood pressure screening, LGBTPM is kicking off their fall meeting, and MSFC is doing something else. I was wondering what they were all up to!

Yeah, Emergency Medicine sends out a few rare invites early, but most didn't start coming out until after the annual ACEP conference, which was something like early October.

****. based on my dean's letter rough draft I'm not qualified for any job, anywhere.

who actually wrote the rough draft? I think it's a secretary who writes the bulk of it.

The comment they picked from surgery was a big paragraph that was clearly a copy-paste from lots of other student evaluations. I had only worked with him a little, and he damned me with faint praise. I'd rather they used the faculty comments...

My surgery comments basically said "I think I remember you, good job".

The deans letter is just your CV paraphrased then quotations from your comments. I've got make some changes or else I don't stand a chance.

My surgery comments basically said "I think I remember you, good job".

The deans letter is just your CV paraphrased then quotations from your comments. I've got make some changes or else I don't stand a chance.
Yeah, I've read mine.

I get to start medicine tomorrow, and apparently the SMS at the VA gets the shaft - Q4 overnight the whole month. The interns are Q8 overnight.

Yeah, I've read mine.

I get to start medicine tomorrow, and apparently the SMS at the VA gets the shaft - Q4 overnight the whole month. The interns are Q8 overnight.

You'd be q4 anywhere else anyway, wouldn't you?

You'd be q4 anywhere else anyway, wouldn't you?

dert's q6. I had no weekend call on my sub-I, but at that point, the chiefs made my schedule including days off, and my sr wouldn't deviate from that, despite me pleading to not do "day off-day on-day off-day on-switch day off (sunday)-new rotation"

dert's q6. I had no weekend call on my sub-I, but at that point, the chiefs made my schedule including days off, and my sr wouldn't deviate from that, despite me pleading to not do "day off-day on-day off-day on-switch day off (sunday)-new rotation"

Ah. From what I've heard dert's q6 is still worse than Joe's q4. Joe's q4 was cake. 2 new patients max for the SMS.

Ah. From what I've heard dert's q6 is still worse than Joe's q4. Joe's q4 was cake. 2 new patients max for the SMS.

Yeah, dert we capped at 6 pts. I could take as many admits until I had 6. I carried more pts than the interns since they were on call q12 and had their days off be short call days

Yeah, dert we capped at 6 pts. I could take as many admits until I had 6. I carried more pts than the interns since they were on call q12 and had their days off be short call days
our interns are taking off on short call days too. The senior resident does have it worse than me though.

I'm so glad my days of general medicine wards are done.

Yeah, you can do it through OWA. I don't have access to MCW e-mail here at St. Luke's right now, so I can't take you through it step-by-step, but if you go to your "Options" and then "Rules" you can set one up so it forwards anything from [email protected] (or whatever domain the ERAS e-mails come from, I can't remember) to your pager ([email protected]). Make sure to select the option to keep a copy in your inbox.

You won't be able to read the whole message, but you will get enough to know it's an invite and that you need to check your e-mail ASAP.
Just did it. It works. You have to log into OWAmail from Internet Explorer though.

Warning: don't set this up to send all of your e-mail to your pager. A buddy of mine did that last year and got a $100 pager bill for going over his 300 text pages/month limit. Whoops!

Warning: don't set this up to send all of your e-mail to your pager. A buddy of mine did that last year and got a $100 pager bill for going over his 300 text pages/month limit. Whoops!
I definitely need to know when someone comments on my Facebook status!

does opulent refer to the beginning stages of mesothelioma?

Last edited: