MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me or is MCW e-mail down?

Yes...all those e-mails we got about the MCW Collaborative Network having scheduled downtime were in relation to that. It should be back up after 8:30 tonight, I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...all those e-mails we got about the MCW Collaborative Network having scheduled downtime were in relation to that. It should be back up after 8:30 tonight, I think.

I see. If they actually expect us to read e-mails like that, they should probably title the message something a little more catchy than the "MCW Collaborative Network".

Can someone make recommendations on books for first semester second year?

Chicken Soup for the Soul. (that is a real book right?) You'll have non-stop exams from september until the break. enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicken Soup for the Soul. (that is a real book right?) You'll have non-stop exams from september until the break. enjoy.

Quoted for truthiness.

Oh...the announcement on the libraries web page says 8:30 a.m.

YAYYY! We has e-mail.

And look! I might possibly maybe have a roommate! And hypothetical, tentative rejoicing was heard in the land.

C-section technique: insert sterile stick of dynamite, light fuse. Catch baby. Secure uterus with 3 layers of stitching. Awesome. I'd wear a mask if I were you.

C-section technique: insert sterile stick of dynamite, light fuse. Catch baby. Secure uterus with 3 layers of stitching. Awesome. I'd wear a mask if I were you.

My initial reaction during my first c-section was: HOLY SSST!!! I literally almost backed away from the table with all the gushing stuff.

My secondary reaction was....OH MY GOD I WAS BORN LIKE THAT???

Good times.

My favorite moment in OB/Gyn was this incredibly enthusiastic dad that was so upset he missed being able to videotape us doing an artificial rupture of membranes. Then when it was go-time and the mom was pushing like crazy, he was yelling out things like "it's so amazing, that the Lord Jesus Christ can make a child INSIDE OF A WOMAN!!!"

any input on which surgery rotation to pick? I think I might actually want to do something surgical.

any input on which surgery rotation to pick? I think I might actually want to do something surgical.

I had Froedtert Vascular and General Surg at the VA. I thought it was a good combo: no overnight call, surgery schedule was not crammed with tons of cases, and the attendings were reasonable to work with.

The ones that I've heard people recommend avoiding are CT surgery (long cases, no call but often unpredictably stuck at hospital until 10 in some long case) and peds surgery (long hours with overnight call and no sleep) as well as Froedtert general surg, mostly due to...um...attending/resident/student personality differences.

Unfortunately they usually pair up one of the more desirable months along with one of the more difficult months. So you kind of have to pick your poison. I thought the combo I had was a great middle ground choice.

Ct surg shouldn't be too bad with davida gone as long as it isn't the dert paired with gs2. The attendings all like to teach on ct surg

Posted via Mobile Device

Ct surg shouldn't be too bad with davida gone as long as it isn't the dert paired with gs2. The attendings all like to teach on ct surg

Posted via Mobile Device

CT surgery is once again evil. They have decided that the MEDICAL Intensive care team is a GREAT consult for all of their open heart surgery patients. Cause, you know, people that just had CT surgery and are in the SICU need an MICU consult. And because the MICU team wasn't crazy busy enough as it was.

I'm thinking I want to avoid CT surgery. 8-10 hours for a case doesn't sound appealing in any way, shape or form, and I don't plan to do CT anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved CT, for whatever that's worth. So did Don. And Columbia gen surg was awesome.

Here's a shout out for VA vascular and GS1!!

Vascular at the VA can be slow, but I think I had an exceptionally slow month and it was better for other people. Vascular is interesting and applies to many other fields. I have drawn from what I learned on vascular surgery on multiple other rotations. And all the attendings are great. Often early mornings to due conferences. Twice a week you have to be done rounding at ~6:30am to get to Froedtert.

GS1 can be much more demanding, depending on the caseload at the time. I think the surgeries are fairly interesting (liver, pancreas, stomach, etc.). Whipples are long, yes. But other stuff I would say is usually about 4-5 hours or less. Usually the longer cases have something interesting, unusual aspect about it that makes it worthwhile. Yes, one of the attendings has a difficult personality, but if you just understand her personality it won't really bother you. I actually like her. Others teach quite a bit. Hours can be longer. I was there during a particularly busy month and was typically there from 5am to ~7:30pm.

It's home call for both. VA splits call amongst all students there so you only end up with ~2. Home call for Froedtert is split amongst GS1, GS2 and Vascular. I never got called in, but did stay a little later once, but then the case was cancelled.

I highly recommend this combo if it hasn't been switched up.

Yeah, VA vascular and GS1 was one of the ones that caught my eye. I was thinking of trauma until I saw that I'd have to do general at Waukesha.

i've heard only heard great things about waukesha.

and peds surgery is long, but the couple people i've talked to that rotated there seemed to like it.

Trauma is pretty cool. It is hard work but you get to do a decent amount and the attendings are sweet. Waukesha is AWESOME. you dont have to get there until 7-8am, no rounding and 4-5 cases a day. Some people on trauma will be paired with Columbia

That being said...how you like your surgical rotation will depend on your resident and you have no control over that

Trauma is pretty cool. It is hard work but you get to do a decent amount and the attendings are sweet. Waukesha is AWESOME. you dont have to get there until 7-8am, no rounding and 4-5 cases a day. Some people on trauma will be paired with Columbia

That being said...how you like your surgical rotation will depend on your resident and you have no control over that
Hmmm, then maybe I will do Waukesha/trauma. I don't want two easy rotations, because I think I might want to do surgery, and I don't want a overly easy impression of what residency would be like, but I don't need two tough rotations to tell me that. Columbia would be glorious - I'm 2 miles away.

Hmmm, then maybe I will try to get Waukesha/trauma. I don't want two easy rotations, because I think I might want to do surgery, and I don't want a overly easy impression of what residency would be like, but I don't need two tough rotations to tell me that. Columbia would be glorious - I'm 2 miles away.

fixed for you. other options include "use my connections to cheat the lottery system and get"

fixed for you. other options include "use my connections to cheat the lottery system and get"

Doesn't work. People who think they did that actually just got picked early in the lottery. I tried due to a medical reason, and I still got CT surg which I didn't rank, and I was told I wouldn't be put in.

Oh, there are no "easy" surgical services.

I saw the standardized patient I did my pelvic exam on in public today at her place of work...I'm not sure if she recognized me (she did say hi to me, but I think that's part of the job description), but as soon as I saw her, I knew she looked familiar, despite the period costume.... My wife thought it was pretty funny. I figured I wouldn't call her out :p

of our group, 2/3rds ranked trauma as their number 1 choice.

people tend to rank the same things, so it's a total crapshoot.

I saw the standardized patient I did my pelvic exam on in public today at her place of work...I'm not sure if she recognized me (she did say hi to me, but I think that's part of the job description), but as soon as I saw her, I knew she looked familiar, despite the period costume.... My wife thought it was pretty funny. I figured I wouldn't call her out :p

you actually remember what she looked like? i can hardly remember what my current patients look like from day to day.

of our group, 2/3rds ranked trauma as their number 1 choice.

people tend to rank the same things, so it's a total crapshoot.

Most of my group wanted vascular.

you actually remember what she looked like? i can hardly remember what my current patients look like from day to day.

I've had some of those standardized patients in multiple things.

I've seen patients' relatives different places. I saw one patient's daughter at Maggiano's.

I recognized her in part because I recognized her from the interviewing class the year before and made a mental note of it, and I know I'd recognize at least one other SP I had. I just had her in an interview, although she does other stuff too.

I tend to retain a LOT of random details, like phone numbers, addresses, names, faces, scientific facts about things that I don't need to remember. Of course, it took me forever to learn all the drugs in pharm...

So I just got my M2 grades back....feedback was "Excellent participant in discussion...." participation grade was a high pass. Um....okay.

Also, from the clinical H&P: "no attempt at writing A/P, but the remainder of the H&Ps was sufficient." Thanks, because you DIDN'T TELL ME TO WRITE AN ASSESSMENT OR PLAN. I'm pretty sure I would've included one after the first one if it'd been mentioned.

So I just got my M2 grades back....feedback was "Excellent participant in discussion...." participation grade was a high pass. Um....okay.

Also, from the clinical H&P: "no attempt at writing A/P, but the remainder of the H&Ps was sufficient." Thanks, because you DIDN'T TELL ME TO WRITE AN ASSESSMENT OR PLAN. I'm pretty sure I would've included one after the first one if it'd been mentioned.

Supposedly there is a secret code that the deans use in writing the dean's letters since they supposedly don't rank the class. Maybe it's like that. I think it goes something like this:

"Outstanding" = top 25%
"Excellent" = next 25%
"Good" = next 25%
"Satisfactory" = bottom 25%

So, I got my first choice for surgery - general at Waukesha, trauma at Froedtert. should be scary!

So my prior attending told me my write-ups were excellent. One of his subordinates tells me that my write-ups are basically pretty bad, and proceeded to mark it up heavily. Some of the comments are rather absurd though - like telling me that I left out the duration, severity and compliance of a disease. Of course, all that information was clearly delineated in the PMH. :rolleyes: This is gonna be a riot. Of course, I can't just tell him he's wrong and point to the info, because then I'd be a smartass.

I meant patient compliance with medications FOR the disease.

oooooohhhh....... thought you were busting out some fancy newfangled terms us old school med students don't know yet.

oooooohhhh....... thought you were busting out some fancy newfangled terms us old school med students don't know yet.

I suppose that could mean like how reliably the bacteria or cells or whatever took up the drug you gave them. Dang bacteria and their noncompliance.

Darn it. Apparently the team decided to come in at 8am (that's when call starts, and they don't have a lot of patients), but I'm here now because nobody told me.

I might go see one of my intern's patients that I wrote a few notes on...

Yesterday I was walking through the 5th floor hallway above the "Cohen Corridor" and saw an M3 laying supine on one of the transport carts with his white coat and shoes off reading his Kochar's medicine textbook. He was still there 45 mintues later when I walked back through. If I wouldn't have felt like such a tool doing it, I I would have given him a stern talking-to about professionalism. I wonder if his residents knew where he was...

Yesterday I was walking through the 5th floor hallway above the "Cohen Corridor" and saw an M3 laying supine on one of the transport carts with his white coat and shoes off reading his Kochar's medicine textbook. He was still there 45 mintues later when I walked back through. If I wouldn't have felt like such a tool doing it, I I would have given him a stern talking-to about professionalism. I wonder if his residents knew where he was...
You should've taken him behind the woodshed and given him a lashing. How dare he study??

I do not have a kitty.
I have a roommate.
Kitties cuddle.
But roommates pay rent.
I think, on the whole, I am satisfied with my situation.

I do not have a kitty.
I have a roommate.
Kitties cuddle.
But roommates pay rent.
I think, on the whole, I am satisfied with my situation.

also, roommates (hopefully) flush. kitties bury. not as clean.

You should've taken him behind the woodshed and given him a lashing. How dare he study??

Yeah, it wasn't so much the studying part as the laying down in a public area of the hospital part on a piece of equipment that is used for patient care.

Yeah, it wasn't so much the studying part as the laying down in a public area of the hospital part on a piece of equipment that is used for patient care.
do you know who it was?

You should've seen the pre-med that came by today, shadowing one of the hospitalists. Hilarious.