MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samenewme

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let the madness commence. Or continue. Or something. :)

Members don't see this ad.

dont let agent splat scare you ...we keep him locked up

Members don't see this ad :)
Agent Splat said:
I'll still cut you.

Alright Marc, let's at least give these guys a chance at having a sane thread that isn't filled with Meatloaf lyrics :p.

To all you accepted to MCW c/o 2010, congrats! There are a handful of us 1st years (c/o 2009) that frequent SDN, and we benefitted a lot from the advice we received from a couple of older students on here. I'm looking forward to being able to return the favor by helping out the next generation of MCWers!

Samenewme, are you accepted already? If so, way to be with the early acceptance!

I wouldn't dream of posting any Meat Loaf lyrics in this thread until they've started classes. Michael Jackson lyrics are another story.

But yes, if you got in ED, congratulations!

We'll be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of our ability, and with stunning and awe-inspiring frankness.

congrats again!
--Marc

Agent Splat said:
But yes, if you got in ED, congratulations!

Thanks, guys! Yup, ED. I was out of town this weekend and got one of my friends (a fellow older pre-med) to check my mail for me so I wouldn't have to wait until Sunday night to find out if I got happy news or not. Had I left my phone on long enough for the voice mail icon to pop up, it would have been a great idea!

I'll have questions later after my feet touch the ground.

Okay, I've got one now. What are the health insurance co-pays on prescription drugs?

samenewme said:
Okay, I've got one now. What are the health insurance co-pays on prescription drugs?

Congrats on the acceptance. To answer your question, i think it depends on the particular plan you select..PPO, HMO, POS ect. The insurance is provided by Humana so maybe you can track it down from them. I personally dont use the schools insurance plan soo maybe the other guys can be of more assistance

pratik7 said:
Congrats on the acceptance. To answer your question, i think it depends on the particular plan you select..PPO, HMO, POS ect. The insurance is provided by Humana so maybe you can track it down from them. I personally dont use the schools insurance plan soo maybe the other guys can be of more assistance

Hey, I think you led my tour on interview day! Hi!

D.

Congrats on the acceptance!

The 10 month policy was $2176 this year (visits to the optometrist/opthalmologist is included). Yeah, it's kind of pricey, but luckily it doesn't come out of your budget for living expenses. They tack it on top of your living expenses and tuition. As for the Rx co-pays, they are $10/$20/$40 (this is from the card). My guess is that $10 is generic and $40 is name brand. No idea what the $20 could be for. The office visits are $10 although when I went to the optometrist, they waived the co-pay.

samenewme said:
Thanks, guys! Yup, ED. I was out of town this weekend and got one of my friends (a fellow older pre-med) to check my mail for me so I wouldn't have to wait until Sunday night to find out if I got happy news or not. Had I left my phone on long enough for the voice mail icon to pop up, it would have been a great idea!

I'll have questions later after my feet touch the ground.

Andy15430 said:
There are a handful of us 1st years (c/o 2009) that frequent SDN, and we benefitted a lot from the advice we received from a couple of older students on here.

Personally, I prefer "more experienced," "wiser," "cooler," "smarter," etc., but I always refer to you guys as kids, so I guess I can't complain. ;)

Hope you guys have settled in and that things are going well. The first month or two is definitely a kick in the pants, but it usually calms down after that. I keep meaning to stop in the gross lab and hang out, but I've been really busy (12 eight hour shifts in the same month is pretty taxing, ya know).

Take care.

Code Brown said:

The 10 month policy was $2176 this year (visits to the optometrist/opthalmologist is included). Yeah, it's kind of pricey, but luckily it doesn't come out of your budget for living expenses. They tack it on top of your living expenses and tuition. As for the Rx co-pays, they are $10/$20/$40 (this is from the card). My guess is that $10 is generic and $40 is name brand. No idea what the $20 could be for. The office visits are $10 although when I went to the optometrist, they waived the co-pay.

Thanks! Just what I needed to know. The state of Wisconsin has a three-tiered co-pay, too. The bottom is cheap generics, the middle tier is expensive generics and cheap brand names, and the top is the nice expensive drugs (like Sonata and NasaCort and Nexium) that some plans don't like to cover at all.

And for group health, $2176 isn't actually that bad a price these days, sorry to say.

Code Brown said:

Code Brown, did you have to get glasses so you could see your targets better while gunning? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agent Splat said:
So.....

any questions?

Oh, it's a little early yet, I think. Later I'll have questions like which textbooks to buy and not buy, whether the diagnostic kits are useful or a big rip, where exactly I might want to live (I live in Milwaukee but I'm on the East side and plan to move to 'Tosa), and other stuff I haven't even thought to ask yet.

But right now I'm all about what's for breakfast, and if you can answer that, you're scary smart.

samenewme said:
Oh, it's a little early yet, I think. Later I'll have questions like which textbooks to buy and not buy, whether the diagnostic kits are useful or a big rip, where exactly I might want to live (I live in Milwaukee but I'm on the East side and plan to move to 'Tosa), and other stuff I haven't even thought to ask yet.

But right now I'm all about what's for breakfast, and if you can answer that, you're scary smart.

Toaster Strudels. Accept no substitute.

I know there's more 2010 folk already. Where the heckfire are they?

Agent Splat said:
Toaster Strudels. Accept no substitute.

I know there's more 2010 folk already. Where the heckfire are they?

I didn't have Toaster Strudels. I had to settle for leftover Sesame Chicken. Sucks to be me. :D

Clearly the other 2010 folk were scared away by the pirate talk on the other thread. Or they're, like traveling Europe or sleeping late to prepare for med school. Hey, I should do that.

samenewme said:
Or they're, like traveling Europe or sleeping late to prepare for med school. Hey, I should do that.

Incorrect. By 5:27 pm today I want you to have written a report summarizing all cranial nerve innervation, including pathways through the skull as well as the facial features developed via the pharyngeal arches. Oh, and I would like a flow chart including no less than 7 distinct primary colors outlining human metabolism of lipids and carbohydrates.

That's what I call preparation.

DoctorFunk said:
Incorrect. By 5:27 pm today I want you to have written a report summarizing all cranial nerve innervation, including pathways through the skull as well as the facial features developed via the pharyngeal arches. Oh, and I would like a flow chart including no less than 7 distinct primary colors outlining human metabolism of lipids and carbohydrates.

That sounds familar...have we learned that yet? :p

DoctorFunk said:

Yeah, nice try.

DoctorFunk said:

Cripes, at least make it CHALLENGING. jeez. they're gonna think this is nursery school all over again.

Where are your 2010 classmates? I know for a fact there's at least a couple around SDN somewhere.

Agent Splat said:
Where are your 2010 classmates? I know for a fact there's at least a couple around SDN somewhere.

It's my breath. I just KNOW it. Snif. :laugh:

You started this thread. That means you're in charge.

Hint of the week for Class of Twenty Ten:

Suprascapular artery or nerve?

Army over Navy!

Agent Splat said:
You started this thread. That means you're in charge.

Now they'll read the subject and know it's safe to come out.

samenewme said:
It's my breath. I just KNOW it. Snif. :laugh:

I think you should have a "free" lunch....you will be amazed at how many people will come out of the hiding :idea:

pratik7 said:
I think you should have a "free" lunch....you will be amazed at how many people will come out of the hiding :idea:

So, any MS0's already in Milwaukee? I actually CAN pull off a free lunch!

samenewme said:
So, any MS0's already in Milwaukee? I actually CAN pull off a free lunch!

I'll be the M1 liason for your Free Lunch Student Association. I need to pad the ol' resume if I'm ever going to get that posh residency ;)

DoctorFunk said:
I'll be the M1 liason for your Free Lunch Student Association. I need to pad the ol' resume if I'm ever going to get that posh residency ;)

I see. So you get a free lunch and a padded resume and I get...what, again?

The M1 liaison is charged with picking up all the M0's and bringing them to my house. Let me know when you've got that set up. ;)

samenewme said:
I see. So you get a free lunch and a padded resume and I get...what, again?

The M1 liaison is charged with picking up all the M0's and bringing them to my house. Let me know when you've got that set up. ;)

You know...I was going to go ahead and assume that the M0's were going to be a little more capable than I felt at our orientation--but it seems just like the class of 2009, you guys are mere lemmings until you get through that first anatomy practical :p

Everyone that's already here knows that throwing a free lunch is its own reward. It's the only way I can comprehend why there are so many staged each week, anyhow...

Agent Splat said:
Holler. Accepted on 10/15. Didn't find this thread until now. :p Not sure if I'll be at MCW in the fall, but I'd be happy to be there. I also live on the east side, so I've got Milwaukee pretty figured out.

TheProwler said:
Holler. Accepted on 10/15. Didn't find this thread until now. :p Not sure if I'll be at MCW in the fall, but I'd be happy to be there. I also live on the east side, so I've got Milwaukee pretty figured out.

Well, when you make up your mind, let me know. We can have an all East-siders' lunch. ;)

TheProwler said:

Congratulations Prowler! :thumbup:

TheProwler said:

How hard can the decision be? We've got Pratik and Andy here!!!!!!!!!!!

Agent Splat said:
How hard can the decision be? We've got Pratik and Andy here!!!!!!!!!!!

There are always two sides to any argument. Plus: Pratik and Andy. Negative: DoctorFunk and his ego.

DoctorFunk said:
There are always two sides to any argument. Plus: Pratik and Andy. Negative: DoctorFunk and his ego.

I was going to say..."Negative: DoctorFunk and his...funk."

the Tosa Chancery. haha.

indo said:
the Tosa Chancery. haha.

I always wonder why we abbreviate it "tosa." Could be just as easy to call it "Wawa."

I'm offically starting the WaWa Movement. We will crush all who stand in our way.

Agent Splat said:
I always wonder why we abbreviate it "tosa." Could be just as easy to call it "Wawa."

I'm offically starting the WaWa Movement. We will crush all who stand in our way.

That makes me think of my mother's home town in Pennsylvania--there's a chain of convenience stores called the WaWa. Now Tosa will be etched in my brain as one big town full of sodas and Slurpee-equivalents.

Agent Splat said:

One could argue that "wawa" sounds goofy but then the other could argue that "tosa" isn't really a step in the right direction.

Actually, I think Tosa is just easier to say with that accent people have up there.

First off, congrats to all those accepted for next year. I haven't posted in a while (busy being an M1), but feel free to ask me any questions you guys have about MCW. Where in PA are you referring to, I went to Penn State and Wawa's are definitely where it's at. Anyway, have fun and relax as much as possible before you start in August. It will definitely do you good. Peace.

Its on like donkey kong! Now all I gotta do is borrow 100 dollars to pay to hold my spot for next fall.

indo said:
Its on like donkey kong! Now all I gotta do is borrow 100 dollars to pay to hold my spot for next fall.

Congrats! Just be sure not to borrow the hundy from a guy named Guido. One mistake that I'll never make again...

indo said:

Woohoo! Hello, and welcome!

This indo character just might be "the one."

And by "the one," I mean "the one" that will convince them to finally close up shop on this MCW operation. Oh well.

Congrats anyway!

So, how many mexican food and terriyaki places are within 10 minutes of MCW?

indo said:
So, how many mexican food and terriyaki places are within 10 minutes of MCW?

I can think of at least two (not counting Taco Bell) mexican places and one Mongolian BBQ within a 5 minute drive from campus. Don't count on sneaking out there too often for lunch though, as the parking situation as it stands requires about a 10 minute walk to your car each way, and we get only an hour for lunch (assuming you're a sucker and go to class, that is). ;)

DoctorFunk said:
I can think of at least two (not counting Taco Bell) mexican places and one Mongolian BBQ within a 5 minute drive from campus. Don't count on sneaking out there too often for lunch though, as the parking situation as it stands requires about a 10 minute walk to your car each way, and we get only an hour for lunch (assuming you're a sucker and go to class, that is). ;)

Marty is still looking for a chinese place that delivers in the area. Anybody know of any?

Agent Splat said:
Marty is still looking for a chinese place that delivers in the area. Anybody know of any?

there is a place across the street from me that delivers...its called NO1

Agent Splat said:

My apartment building (2 miles west of school) had some fliers posted for a chinese place with delivery. Not sure what the name was or what exactly their delivery area is, but I'll try to remember to look up that flier when I get home.

<-- newest addition to MCW's class of 2010.

Hello!