KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, I took a bunch of notes about what they said so if anyone is interested in those, message me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just declined my acceptance, hope it goes to one you guys waiting for that first one, best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone get an II if they submit a secondary?

I just received a welcome to our inaugural class email from the president before getting an email or notification saying I was accepted however I was accepted into PCOM so I will decline my A.

Just received an email from the president notifying I was accepted as well. This is my first US A for this cycle, and as it stands, I have an A from a Caribbean school (from the so called "Top 5"). Everything and everywhere that I've read and researched tells me to immediately send in the intent to enroll towards KHSC-COM, but the only thing preventing me from jumping the gun is the per-accreditation status. Could anyone shed some light on the outcomes of attending a pre-accredited institution (KHSC-COM) vs a Caribbean MD school? My gut tells me to not even consider the Caribbean school, however I do not want to jump to conclusions. For some more info, I do not see myself nor want to attempt pursuing a surgical career.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received an email from the president notifying I was accepted as well. This is my first US A for this cycle, and as it stands, I have an A from a Caribbean school (from the so called "Top 5"). Everything and everywhere that I've read and researched tells me to immediately send in the intent to enroll towards KHSC-COM, but the only thing preventing me from jumping the gun is the per-accreditation status. Could anyone shed some light on the outcomes of attending a pre-accredited institution (KHSC-COM) vs a Caribbean MD school? My gut tells me to not even consider the Caribbean school, however I do not want to jump to conclusions. For some more info, I do not see myself nor want to attempt pursuing a surgical career.
Either is a gamble. Personally, I'd take the A in the states over one not in the states. Bigger gamble taking the Caribbean A in that attrition rates are high, resources limited and high probability of not matching with over $400k of debt. That'd be a no from me, dawg.

Edit: CONGRATS!!

Either is a gamble. Personally, I'd take the A in the states over one not in the states. Bigger gamble taking the Caribbean A in that attrition rates are high, resources limited and high probability of not matching with over $400k of debt. That'd be a no from me, dawg.

Edit: CONGRATS!!
Thank you for your insight and congratulations, I appreciate it very much. From what I've been reading, for a school to achieve pre-accreditation status then it means that the COCA believes the school has what it takes to graduate a class and achieve full accreditation. Am I right in that assumption? Either way, it seems like I should not be "looking a gift horse in the mouth" as they say. I am very thankful and appreciative that I even got a US school acceptance. If Mr. Goro could provide some insight that would certainly flesh things out.

this is also my first A! Wondering what people's opinions are regarding this new DO school vs. UQ-Ochsner (MD school in Australia/New Orleans), as I have an interview there later this month.

Thank you for your insight and congratulations, I appreciate it very much. From what I've been reading, for a school to achieve pre-accreditation status then it means that the COCA believes the school has what it takes to graduate a class and achieve full accreditation. Am I right in that assumption? Either way, it seems like I should not be "looking a gift horse in the mouth" as they say. I am very thankful and appreciative that I even got a US school acceptance. If Mr. Goro could provide some insight that would certainly flesh things out.
@Goro has made comments on previous pages regarding this school being new and what is worrisome. Like I said though, if it were me, a new DO US school would rank higher than an MD Caribbean school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a secondary from here but I do not see a word or character limit for the essays. Is there a limit? It would be nice to know before writing lol.

this is also my first A! Wondering what people's opinions are regarding this new DO school vs. UQ-Ochsner (MD school in Australia/New Orleans), as I have an interview there later this month.
Congratulations on the A! From what I've heard UQ-Ochsner is a great school to attend, however if your plan is to practice medicine in the United States and you are dead-set on that, then you will be considered an IMG if you graduate from UQ-Ochsner. With the recent changes to the Step 1 (P/F), some PD's (surg) have said that they look into "the institution of the individual" more closely.

I just received a secondary from here but I do not see a word or character limit for the essays. Is there a limit? It would be nice to know before writing lol.
There is a word limit, I think it's somewhere around 500 words or so.

Congrats on your A I would definitely choose KansasCOM over a Caribbean school. There has not been many schools DO or MD inside the US or it’s territories that have failed to get accreditation. And not all in recent memory. There are some great MD and DO schools that have just received accreditation and or will be receiving it soon once their inaugural class graduates (Norda and Seton Hall to name a few). New schools will always have a rocky start no matter how many experiences staff and faculty they bring on but it’s worth it over a Caribbean school. You’ll have better prospects especially if you want to go into a competitive speciality.

congrats on the A! I interviewed 2/3 and am still waiting to hear back :(. People who've interviewed after me have gotten A's, so it kinda worries me.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your interview date?

Personally, I would choose this school over any Caribbean school. I do not see myself going back to the Caribbean nor having to go through the whole process of moving there/starting over/getting care packages (depending on the school and island), but that is just me. KHSC-Kansas COM is a new school but the faculty and admin are very experienced and even have people that worked at other schools, like KCUCOM. I asked a question about accreditation during my interview (if there is anything that could stop the school from getting accredited following the graduation of their first class) and one of the physicians who has worked at like 5 other DO's schools since they started/were built assured us that she has never seen that happen. She said that the only reason she can think of why the school would not get accredited is because there is a major world catastrophe in which we are all going to die anyways (pretty extreme) lol

Congrats on your A! once the inaugural class graduates, full accreditation will be achieved

more info: https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/...ew-and-developing-accreditation-standards.pdf

Interviewed 2/19 and just got accepted! Is the intent to enroll a binding thing or is it like paying my deposit to save my seat? Also does anyone else still have LOR 2 and 3 missing on their document folder, but the first LOR says received? Also, just a heads up apparently we need casper scores as well.

Interviewed 2/19 and just got accepted! Is the intent to enroll a binding thing or is it like paying my deposit to save my seat? Also does anyone else still have LOR 2 and 3 missing on their document folder, but the first LOR says received? Also, just a heads up apparently we need casper scores as well.
Congratulations on the A! I noticed that CASPER was listed as a requirement, though something tells me that this will be utilized for the next admitted class and not the 2022 class, as it wouldn't make sense for them to submit an acceptance offer to then get rescinded over a CASPER score of all things, especially if someone has already paid the non-refundable deposit of $2000. Also, didn't the CASPER testing period for 2021 (next one being 2022) close anyhow?

EDIT: I'm assuming the intent to enroll is binding as it reserves a seat with your name (the deposit is non-refundable too as mentioned earlier).

MD > DO >>> Caribbean

The recent matches have not been kind to IMG’s, nor is there any evidence that they will be in the future.

Congratulations on the A! I noticed that CASPER was listed as a requirement, though something tells me that this will be utilized for the next admitted class and not the 2022 class, as it wouldn't make sense for them to submit an acceptance offer to then get rescinded over a CASPER score of all things, especially if someone has already paid the non-refundable deposit of $2000. Also, didn't the CASPER testing period for 2021 (next one being 2022) close anyhow?

EDIT: I'm assuming the intent to enroll is binding as it reserves a seat with your name (the deposit is non-refundable too as mentioned earlier).
Ah that makes sense about the Casper thing. Is there a way for us to pay a deposit to save our seat? I’m only seeing a intent to enroll form.

Ah that makes sense about the Casper thing. Is there a way for us to pay a deposit to save our seat? I’m only seeing a intent to enroll form.
You get the option once you choose "I intend to enroll" on the form.
MD > DO >>> Caribbean

The recent matches have not been kind to IMG’s, nor is there any evidence that they will be in the future.
I have not yet looked at the most recent match data so I cannot personally say anything about that, though with the merger it would logically make sense that IMG's would be the ones to suffer the most from it.

I just received an email from the president w my acceptance! Should I be looking out for another email w forma and instructions to pay my deposit? Or is that all on the portal?

I just received an email from the president w my acceptance! Should I be looking out for another email w forma and instructions to pay my deposit? Or is that all on the portal?
It's just that email. Intent to enroll and deposit are on the portal. I got a second welcome email after paying the deposit.

It's just that email. Intent to enroll and deposit are on the portal. I got a second welcome email after paying the deposit.
I knew something was amiss. When I paid the deposit, I did not get a confirmation email regarding it nor did I get an email in general, however the "Intent to Enroll Form" is marked as "On File" on their portal. I will contact admissions tomorrow morning and see what is up and what the next steps are (background check, immunizations (which I remember they talked about during the interview closing Q&A, quantitative titers etc) ).

Decided to create a GroupMe since I don't think there is any official FB page or anything for accepted students! Posting the link for those who would like to join: GroupMe Link

Just received an II!! Super excited!

Received an II just now, secondary completed 3/3. OOS, 3.5 gpa, 504 MCAT. Excited to learn more about this school!

Anyone do the interview? I just got an email regarding mine coming up soon and would appreciate any and all advice!

Submitted my secondary 2/8. Received an interview invite today 3/9. Interviewing 3/26. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity new school or not just blessed. Second interview this cycle despite my stats so anything is possible!!

Anyone do the interview? I just got an email regarding mine coming up soon and would appreciate any and all advice!

When is your interview? Did they send the zoom link? Mine is this Saturday but I haven't received an email.

It's very low stress, at least mine were. It's 2 1-on-1 20 minute interviews with faculty and they just want to get to know you. One is supposed to ask you an ethical question (mine was a question followed up by a specific scenario where I had to role play as a physician) and the other is supposed to ask you a critical thinking question. Literally do not stress! I do recommend you have a list of questions prepared for the faculty panel and for your interviewers so that you have something to talk about at the end of your interview. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your interview date?

Anyone else received an interview without completing the secondary?
Because I just did and I think it's a mistake?

Last edited:
  • Haha
I got an A but will pass my seat to another applicant. Good luck everyone!

It's very low stress, at least mine were. It's 2 1-on-1 20 minute interviews with faculty and they just want to get to know you. One is supposed to ask you an ethical question (mine was a question followed up by a specific scenario where I had to role play as a physician) and the other is supposed to ask you a critical thinking question. Literally do not stress! I do recommend you have a list of questions prepared for the faculty panel and for your interviewers so that you have something to talk about at the end of your interview. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great!
Thanks! How many students are accepted and how long after the interview until you find out whether you got in?

Congrats! May I ask what your stats were?
Thank you! MCAT sub 500. Undergrad GPA not great like not great to the point I not going to mention it...lol Lots of personal things happened in college. I did a DIY postbacc and a masters program both 3.9 gpa. I have a very strong personal statement and extra curricular activities. The comeback is greater than the setback!

Thanks! How many students are accepted and how long after the interview until you find out whether you got in?
They told us that they are not selecting "x" amount of people from each interview; that if they like everyone on an interview day, they will offer everyone a spot. They did say their class would be 85 students. For post interview decision, they said it could take up to 6 weeks but that most people heard back between 2-3 weeks. I still haven't heard back bc my interview was on 3/3

I submitted my secondary on 2/25. Interview invite on 3/9 and interview scheduled for 3/26! This is my second invite this cycle so I am really excited

Withdrew my seat, hope it goes to one of you!