KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a secondary here! Anybody who got an II willing to read my secondary whenever it’s ready?

Got a rejection email. Not official, but asked if I would get a secondary since my MCAT is below their 500 cut off (<499) and they said no. Urged me to reapply next cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hey out of curiousity how long after submitting the primary did it take you to get a secondary? Recently sent mine in and curious to see how long the turnaround has been for others who are also applying here!
About 1 week after!

It’s really interesting to see how this school’s adcoms are going through everyone’s applications. My MCAT is 501 but my c&sGPA miss the cutoff but my graduate c&sGPA are well above the cutoff. I got a secondary the day after I submitted my primary. We’ll see if I get a II though. Congrats on everyone that got a II so far!

Yeah it really is tbh. I met the MCAT and cGPA cutoff but my sGPA missed the cutoff. However, I did do an extensive set of post-bacc courses and got a 4.0 there. Will update with a new reply when I hear back from them at the 1 week point for a secondary or no secondary!
I hope they offer you a secondary! Congrats on that post bac 4.0 as well. According to their website, under admissions requirements, they look holistically at your entire file. They also seem to be accepting of and actively recruit non-traditional students and URMs. They also place an emphasis on extracurricular activities, community service and research. I guess that would explain why some who don’t meet the cutoff are getting secondaries and IIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II, completed 1/30, set for 2/17.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II just now, complete 1/28

Reactions: 1 user
II just now, scheduled for 2/19. If anyone wants to practice, DM ME. :)

is it open or closed file interview?
So their website doesn’t say. It’s 2 one-on-one interviews and a group activity. They said the questions are preset/standard but to also review our personal statement and CV/resume/application. But if anyone who’s interviewed so far knows please let us of know!

Anyone know how long they said till they send out post II acceptances

Anyone know how long they said till they send out post II acceptances
This is what it says on their website “Applicants will be notified of an admissions decision via email within six to eight weeks of their on-campus interview.” I’m assuming they mean virtual interview and not on-campus.

Anyone willing to share their interview experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! You can PM me

Would appreciate any interview tips! especially nervous for the group activity, i'm shy :(

40 minute group activity sounds bizarre 🥴
It ended up essentially being a group discussion with ~6 others and an observer. We discussed two prompts (very similar to each other) for 20 minutes each. Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
anyone with an interview scheduled for Feb 19 (saturday) willing to switch w my Feb 17 (thursday)? I'm trying to get off work that day but it is proving difficult :(

anyone with an interview scheduled for Feb 19 (saturday) willing to switch w my Feb 17 (thursday)? I'm trying to get off work that day but it is proving difficult :(
The admissions staff is extremely friendly, you could probably just email them and explain your situation. I’m sure they can accommodate!

The admissions staff is extremely friendly, you could probably just email them and explain your situation. I’m sure they can accommodate!
You were 100% right! Thank you :)

does anyone know how many acceptances they’re going to give if the class size is only 85?

Anyone interviewed here does the interview has an MMI style and/or ethical questions?

Would anyone who has interviewed be willing to share their experience during the group activity assessment? Any helpful tips or things you wish you have known earlier for preparation? Thanks!

I had II on tuesday and just finished my interview here. I have one acceptance this cycle but I would probably end up here if I get accepted. Very interesting program!!! Goodluck man!

I had II on tuesday and just finished my interview here. I have one acceptance this cycle but I would probably end up here if I get accepted. Very interesting program!!! Goodluck man!
What do you recommend to prepare for it?

I also interviewed today. Interviews are closed file. Two twenty minute interviews. One is supposed to test critical thinking. One is supposed to test ethics. I was pressed on an ethics question more than I have been in previous interviews. Both my interviewers were pretty amazing humans from what I could tell.

The group activity is nothing to worry about. They advised us to think oustide the box. I would mind your P's and Q's and consider how much time you spend talking.

They are taking 85. Officially, acceptances/wait-lists/rejections are in 6 weeks, but will likely come sooner. $2,000 in 14 days of offer. Not finalized but promising will obtain status for students to take federal loans. Wait-list is unranked until they get to the wait-list. Confusing, "we will see what we need" as though it is quota-based some how

Notes on the school:
Pass/fail
Anatomy Lab is based on competency and no cadavers ,(possibly optional later)
Extensive plans for student services: tutoring, study style, mentorship, career planning etc.
Clinical sites-some already set up
MI10 heavily featured on the website doesn't seem as Integrated in the curriculum as the website might lead you to believe, but this is very fuzzy.
Osteopathic philosophy was not heavily emphasized during my interview day.

People seem genuine and kind.
I have a favorable impression.

Reactions: 14 users
A lot of you in this thread should be aware that secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not the pathologically unrealistic.
If this turns out to be our only acceptance, would you recommend we take it?

When an expert chimes in I listen. Doesn’t hurt to get someone’s opinion
It’s an extra $100 I wouldn’t be willing to spend unless I was going to consider attending a school. No offense was intended.

It’s an extra $100 I wouldn’t be willing to spend unless I was going to consider attending a school. No offense was intended.
I understand, I just like to get expert opinions before I make a life altering decision.

I am loath to tell people to tell people to turn down their only accepts.

But go into this eyes open.
do you have a reason to be concerned? Every new school has to start somewhere. If you’re going to weigh in, we’d love to hear your concerns.

do you have a reason to be concerned? Every new school has to start somewhere. If you’re going to weigh in, we’d love to hear your concerns.
Brand new schools take some time for their faculty to gel in delivering a coherent curriculum. An example of this will be that you will have exams with really lousy questions.
Another example will be lecturers who will give you the same content in multiple lectures, because they don't know who is giving what content

It will be weaker in having fewer support systems for their students, such as in lacking mental health services, and in academic support, and good advising.

And while the school right now might talking a great game at what they have lined up in rotations (which I see have the uninitiated already drooling over), every one of those can disappear in a massive poof.

On top of that, oversight of the clinical curriculum is very weak in new schools. Preceptors frequently will not have a clue as to how to write a proper mspe, or how to even evaluate a student.

What research facilities will the school have? If none where are the closest? At Kansas State in Manhattan? I interviewed for a faculty job there once. It's hardly a research Powerhouse.

Lastly, many program directors will be completely unfamiliar with the school, and will thus take a pass on students applying to the residency programs.

So as I said, go in there with eyes open. The fact that Bob Hasty had something to do with this school is warning flag number one.

Reactions: 6 users
Brand new schools take some time for their faculty to gel in delivering a coherent curriculum. An example of this will be that you will have exams with really lousy questions.
Another example will be lecturers who will give you the same content in multiple lectures, because they don't know who is giving what content

It will be weaker in having fewer support systems for their students, such as in lacking mental health services, and in academic support, and good advising.

And while the school right now might talking a great game at what they have lined up in rotations (which I see have the uninitiated already drooling over), every one of those can disappear in a massive poof.

On top of that, oversight of the clinical curriculum is very weak in new schools. Preceptors frequently will not have a clue as to how to write a proper mspe, or how to even evaluate a student.

What research facilities will the school have? If none where are the closest? At Kansas State in Manhattan? I interviewed for a faculty job there once. It's hardly a research Powerhouse.

Lastly, many program directors will be completely unfamiliar with the school, and will thus take a pass on students applying to the residency programs.

So as I said, go in there with eyes open. The fact that Bob Hasty had something to do with this school is warning flag number one.
I definitely am uneducated on the bob hasty subject - could you explain what happened with him and why his involvement is bad?