KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 3/12 and got the A 3/21!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
anything interesting/worth mentioning gleaned from the interview?
They mentioned that they will most likely be done interviewing by late May in time for their Accepted Students Day (I think its on-campus, can't remember for sure). They also expect some waitlist movement in May-June

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anything interesting/worth mentioning gleaned from the interview?
They went into a little more detail about the curriculum and how MI10 will be incorporated into it. Briefly mention what life is like in Wichita and what they think will be our hangout stops as students. I am not from Kanas so that was nice to hear. They mentioned ~96% of clinicals will be in Kanas and other remote options like Oklahoma and Missouri. They also mention where they currently secured partnerships to do clinical rotations which was quite a few already. They are still working on a finalized list. The resources for supporting us with step exams and complex exams. Mentioned the staff member that you can get guidance from if you want to pursue military medicine. Their plans for student orgs and activities. This info will probably will be repeated during the interview. They also showed pictures of some of the spaces on campus that are finished being set up. Overall there was more info than on the website and I like how it was a more intimate setting cause only like 20 people went so it was nice hearing other people's questions and everyone got their questions answered unlike other schools where they may never get to your question.

Reactions: 1 users
They mentioned that they will most likely be done interviewing by late May in time for their Accepted Students Day (I think its on-campus, can't remember for sure). They also expect some waitlist movement in May-June
Yeah they said accepted student day is on campus.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid eligibility? They are not listed on FAFSA yet.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid eligibility? They are not listed on FAFSA yet.
The school has said that they've been working towards getting federal approval so that students can get federal loans. I've heard from someone who called the school that talks have been "positive" and they could be approved anytime from April-June. While the school is a private school, it is also nonprofit, so it is eligible to be approved for federal loans.

Hi everyone! I'm gonna share my interview experience and some facts about the program since I've seen a couple of people asking. Brace yourself, it's a long post lol

The interview day began at around 10AM (eastern) and lasted until around 3:30PM (eastern). They had breaks in between the activities (around 10mins) and we had about a 1 hour lunch as well. Everyone was very very friendly and very eager to answer our questions. There is a Q&A portion in the day where you can ask literally anything, so definitely have questions prepared if you have any doubts. They also discussed their curriculum and life in Wichita.

Regarding the interview itself, it's two 20 minute 1-on-1 interviews with faculty. Mine were both physicians and were very very friendly. The questions asked were either ethical scenarios or critical thinking prompts, but you could take some time to gather your thoughts if needed. From even before the actual question was asked, it was really a conversation where you introduce yourself briefly and then just talk depending on the topic. At the end, the faculty member gives you like 2-5 minutes to ask them questions or say whatever you want. Overall, the interview is low stress because you really just have to answer their questions. They start it off introducing themselves (at least my two interviewers, which were doctors and faculty members) and then kind of go into the question.

Regarding the program, it seems like they are very pro-student and pro-community. They are open to feedback, especially since this would be their first class, and have a lot of high-tech things, such as the virtual anatomy lab, use of MI-10 in the curriculum, and patient simulation center. They said that they would have opportunities to visit actual cadaver labs if students wanted to, but that some of the advantages of virtual anatomy is the 3D aspect of actually getting to see everything within the organ, the fact that you can change/manipulate the cadaver into whatever you wanted (specific disease, add tattoos, etc), and the use of imaging techniques (x-rays, CT, MRI, etc) to understand the anatomy.

Facts about the program:
- Students will be assigned a faculty member as a mentor.
- tutoring program will be available
- There will be clubs/organizations but most depend on student interests.
- There will be help for board preparation/planning, as well as for applying for residency when the time comes.
- Classes will be active learning, case discussions, team learning, labs
- Classes are PASS/FAIL in 1st and 2nd year; they will be PASS/FAIL/HONORS in 3rd and 4th year
- First class will be 85 students
- There will be a required underserved/rural rotation
- They will provide access to ScholarRX (for board preparation)
- They are open to planning mission trips, just need students to be interested.
- Most of the rotations (about 96%) will be in Kansas, but you could set up outside rotations for 4th year (audition rotations).
- Research and shadowing opportunities will be available through faculty. Most are practicing physicians and are willing to take on students.
- They did say that there will be some type of compensation/incentive for their first class, but did not say any specifics.

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations to all the accepted students and good luck to all interviewing soon. Did anybody (accepted students) ask about the CASPER requirements?

Congratulations to all the accepted students and good luck to all interviewing soon. Did anybody (accepted students) ask about the CASPER requirements?
Hi! So I actually called about that today because they sent us an email about required documents after being accepted. The admissions office told me this morning that they won't be requiring CASPER for their first class. However, if you did take it and have the results, they want them. If you did not take it, you don't have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview scheduled on my birthday. Lets hope

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
They said in the info meeting yesterday to go ahead and apply for the FAFSA they do not have a school code yet. They said that school codes can be added anytime before school starts so they will be able to give out financial aid packets to students well before school starts. They seemed pretty confident about delivering on this. But their tone towards scholarship seemed they are probably not going to be giving out additional scholarships to the first class within this year of course.

Has anyone gotten any updates regarding their profile completion? (Immunization, Background Check Instructions, etc). I was unable to make it to the session and I'm starting to think that I should've tried to postpone the obligation I had at the time in order to attend the session. Was it recorded by any chance?

Does anyone know how full the class is yet? I am interested in this school and have an interview scheduled but I'm nervous since it is so late in the cycle!

Does anyone know how full the class is yet? I am interested in this school and have an interview scheduled but I'm nervous since it is so late in the cycle!
Not sure, but they are hosting another info session on 3/29, so maybe try asking them? The sign up sheet and link is on their FB page

Hi! So I actually called about that today because they sent us an email about required documents after being accepted. The admissions office told me this morning that they won't be requiring CASPER for their first class. However, if you did take it and have the results, they want them. If you did not take it, you don't have to.
Thank you so much !!

• Care
During the 3/23 info session they said as a private institution they have no state preference
yea. but it seemed they want to improve health of their underserved areas, so hard to think that they don't care for any state.

yea. but it seemed they want to improve health of their underserved areas, so hard to think that they don't care for any state.
well I'm from FL with no ties to Kansas and got the A. I don't think it has to do with where you come from, but instead if you match their mission and can show you are committed to helping underserved/rural areas

Does this school have state bias?
I’m originally from California but live in Chicago. Both my addresses are on my primary app. No ties to Kansas. Interviewing tomorrow. Someone asked that in the last info session and they are accepting students from all over. But would love student to serve Kansas but understand people may go back to their home state.

Finished my secondary last night and sent it in. Hope I get the invite. I guess i dont worry about immunization docs right now? 3.4/514

Finished my secondary last night and sent it in. Hope I get the invite. I guess i dont worry about immunization docs right now? 3.4/514
Same here! Submitted yesterday morning.

Stats are 3.0 undergrad, 3.9 grad, 500+ MCAT. Hopefully we here something back soon. OOS also.

What was the email address again that we should send thank you letters too?

Do you know if this school requires a physician rec letter?

Withdrew my A last week. Hopefully some good news will come your way for those who are waiting for an A!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my interview coming up . With being on a waitlist, I'm super excited for the possibility of getting an A! (waitlists are brutal) Best of luck to everyone interviewing this month!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my interview coming up . With being on a waitlist, I'm super excited for the possibility of getting an A! (waitlists are brutal) Best of luck to everyone interviewing this month!

I’m in the same boat here! Waiting for the WL is awful, but hoping the interview goes well. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Per their announcement (link), "...The school will sit in a historic 90-year-old building at 230 E. William and 130 S. Market". So that address (if you were driving to their 221 S. Topeka St. Wichita location as on their website) is probably an office building. The William/Market location looks like it's being renovated... at least from google map.
Thank you so much for this correction! My apologies for anyone I mislead.

I was walking around the neighborhood today and took these pics of what I assume is the *actual* campus:

*EDIT* these pics aren't even the best angle on the campus; the main entryway is on a different edge, but it wasn't in my walking path. These pics give some idea about the fit and finish of the new facility though!

pic.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

As soon as I saw those chairs with the projector I figured I was looking at a med school. *Current* Campus looks small but very nice from what I could see on the outside without crossing construction barriers; I'm sure the new construction will be even better!
Couple things I wanted to say:

1. Wichita's downtown is becoming a lot of fun, with more places to live within a mile of campus (walkable!) and more cool things to do. It used to be a heap, but now there is almost everything you could want (other than a better Bodega, but I digress)

2. That said, it's still not the safest. In the first pic you can see "Fugitive Response Team" LEOs in front of that SUV. The classroom is literally along the sidewalk, which is a nice picture but as it currently stands there's about a 100% chance an unhomed person is going to flash the students inside. That's just the reality of the area. It's getting a *lot* better, and the construction changes have been rapid and excellent. I love living downtown, and generally feel very safe.

3. There are quite a few cool new places to live near the campus, but downtown is largely getting pricey for the region (expect 800-1,000 for a nice downtown place, but there are cheaper alternatives for commuters) ReNue across the street is a decent option, I have friends there who like it. There's also the cool parking garage industrial apartment place, but I don't know anyone who's lived there.

4. I have heard rumors that the school is already making ties with local organizations. I don't want to name them, but it sounds like there will be some neat opportunities for students to practice altruism.

5. I have heard rumors about some professors signing on as faculty. The names I've heard are a mixed a bag in my opinion. These would be preclinical faculty if what I have heard is true. To be clear, I am sure that they are keeping tabs on this thread (Hi Dr. S!) and can instantly know who I am by my career path, so I am being completely transparent when I say that if the rumors are true the preclinical faculty at KU is objectively superior.

6. I have heard rumors about some clinical sites. Again, the places I have heard are a mixed bag. If what I have heard is true, it just won't hold a candle to the main competition.

All that said, if I hadn't gotten accepted to the school I did and this school was my only/cheapest/best option, I think you could carve a good career out of this place and have a lot of fun during medical school.

I truly hope this new school does things that the other options don't, and fills the niche better for what the state needs. I fear that this school is going to suffer the fate of many new medical schools; pumping out huge numbers of grads who will be seen as slightly "less than" and expected to prove themselves beyond their peers. That's a tough and unfair spot to be in during residency applications, and with the advent of a pass/fail Step 1 I think that challenge only grows.

Best of luck to everyone, and if you end up here, welcome to Wichita! Kansas has the nicest doctors are some fantastic teachers! We have residencies with Osteopathic recognition, plenty of docs who use OMM, and lots of cool opportunities. I'm an outgoing MS4 at the other school so my advice may not be relevant beyond my discrete experiences, but if anybody has questions about living in downtown Wichita you can reach out here or on FB or whatever. I'm not hard to find :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do i have to submit my background check(idk even how) and immunization in order to be considered for interview?

5. I have heard rumors about some professors signing on as faculty. The names I've heard are a mixed a bag in my opinion. These would be preclinical faculty if what I have heard is true. To be clear, I am sure that they are keeping tabs on this thread (Hi Dr. S!) and can instantly know who I am by my career path, so I am being completely transparent when I say that if the rumors are true the preclinical faculty at KU is objectively superior.
I am confused by your #5 statement. Why mention KU and their faculty being superior?

I am confused by your #5 statement. Why mention KU and their faculty being superior?
Because for many who will reference this topic in the future they will be comparing the school to the only other medical school in the state of Kansas.

KU dominates the clinical arena in the state, so it is important to understand the reality of what attending medical school here will be like! That isn't meant to be negative to this new school, just to provide a comparison from someone who has been educated in medical school here, and who may have (allegedly) also been educated by professors from this new school previously.

Because for many who will reference this topic in the future they will be comparing the school to the only other medical school in the state of Kansas.

KU dominates the clinical arena in the state, so it is important to understand the reality of what attending medical school here will be like! That isn't meant to be negative to this new school, just to provide a comparison from someone who has been educated in medical school here, and who may have (allegedly) also been educated by professors from this new school previously.
It definitely felt negative to me, so thanks for explaining. Making others feel inferior has no place in my heart. With that in mind, I am hoping KU staff, faculty, and students welcome KansasCOM students into the community with an open mindset and kindness

Thank you so much for this correction! My apologies for anyone I mislead.

I was walking around the neighborhood today and took these pics of what I assume is the *actual* campus:

*EDIT* these pics aren't even the best angle on the campus; the main entryway is on a different edge, but it wasn't in my walking path. These pics give some idea about the fit and finish of the new facility though!

View attachment 352912

View attachment 352913

View attachment 352914

As soon as I saw those chairs with the projector I figured I was looking at a med school. *Current* Campus looks small but very nice from what I could see on the outside without crossing construction barriers; I'm sure the new construction will be even better!
Couple things I wanted to say:

1. Wichita's downtown is becoming a lot of fun, with more places to live within a mile of campus (walkable!) and more cool things to do. It used to be a heap, but now there is almost everything you could want (other than a better Bodega, but I digress)

2. That said, it's still not the safest. In the first pic you can see "Fugitive Response Team" LEOs in front of that SUV. The classroom is literally along the sidewalk, which is a nice picture but as it currently stands there's about a 100% chance an unhomed person is going to flash the students inside. That's just the reality of the area. It's getting a *lot* better, and the construction changes have been rapid and excellent. I love living downtown, and generally feel very safe.

3. There are quite a few cool new places to live near the campus, but downtown is largely getting pricey for the region (expect 800-1,000 for a nice downtown place, but there are cheaper alternatives for commuters) ReNue across the street is a decent option, I have friends there who like it. There's also the cool parking garage industrial apartment place, but I don't know anyone who's lived there.

4. I have heard rumors that the school is already making ties with local organizations. I don't want to name them, but it sounds like there will be some neat opportunities for students to practice altruism.

6. I have heard rumors about some clinical sites. Again, the places I have heard are a mixed bag. If what I have heard is true, it just won't hold a candle to the main competition.

All that said, if I hadn't gotten accepted to the school I did and this school was my only/cheapest/best option, I think you could carve a good career out of this place and have a lot of fun during medical school.

I truly hope this new school does things that the other options don't, and fills the niche better for what the state needs. I fear that this school is going to suffer the fate of many new medical schools; pumping out huge numbers of grads who will be seen as slightly "less than" and expected to prove themselves beyond their peers. That's a tough and unfair spot to be in during residency applications, and with the advent of a pass/fail Step 1 I think that challenge only grows.

Best of luck to everyone, and if you end up here, welcome to Wichita! Kansas has the nicest doctors are some fantastic teachers! We have residencies with Osteopathic recognition, plenty of docs who use OMM, and lots of cool opportunities. I'm an outgoing MS4 at the other school so my advice may not be relevant beyond my discrete experiences, but if anybody has questions about living in downtown Wichita you can reach out here or on FB or whatever. I'm not hard to find :p
thanks for the info and your opinion! Do you recommend any specific areas for housing in Downtown and the outskirts (I don't mind driving)? Also, thanks for touching on that safety topic because no one has really said anything about this. It's definitely expected given the school is in a downtown area, but it's good to know!

For those of you who got the A, how soon after your interview did you receive the A and how?