KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely am uneducated on the bob hasty subject - could you explain what happened with him and why his involvement is bad?
1) He's an dingus
2) He has developed a taste for developing new DO schools where they're not needed.
3) Whatever school he's been associated with is sketchy, including this new Kansas school. At the request of an SDNer, I've been sniffing around this research facility, and as of right now, it's two people. One is a nurse, and one is a former Dean from Arkansas ( I think) who has mostly researched how antibodies move in an electric field. Hardly a giant in research. I get the sense these people are trying to make it a go on the fly. No wonder they're sending out secondary's left and right. How much are charging you for the priveledge?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What research facilities will the school have? If none where are the closest? At Kansas State in Manhattan? I interviewed for a faculty job there once. It's hardly a research Powerhouse.

I wanted to update since my last post was unfair: I drove to the campus to check it out. Last I had looked it didn't exist; there is now a small brick building, The inside doesn't look 100% done but it does look nice! This is a tiny, tiny facility for the size of the classes on the website, so my assumption is that it's a sort of "Pilot" until the rest is built. It's in an area that is walkable to apartments.

To address the above from the venerable Goro, Wichita is *NOT* K-state, which is more of an agriculture-focused place.
WSU alone does $164 million worth of research a year: Office of Research

KU of course has all sorts of things. (Barney Graham is a notable alumni of Wichita's medical education community, and was named as a TIME 2021 person of the year for his research that lead to the COVID vaccine Barney Graham: The 100 Most Influential People of 2021)

There is a new healthcare consortium forming in this town between KU/WSU, and massive research exists on those campuses. *IF* this school can provide connections there that would be very helpful, but I don't know how those politics play out. The question is more of how the relationships between the massive entities in Wichita's healthcare system (The schools, HCA, Ascension Via etc) will respond and contract with this new institution *THOSE* are the questions you guys should be asking during interviews.

I wanted to update since my last post was unfair: I drove to the campus to check it out. Last I had looked it didn't exist; there is now a small brick building, The inside doesn't look 100% done but it does look nice! This is a tiny, tiny facility for the size of the classes on the website, so my assumption is that it's a sort of "Pilot" until the rest is built. It's in an area that is walkable to apartments.

To address the above from the venerable Goro, Wichita is *NOT* K-state, which is more of an agriculture-focused place.
WSU alone does $164 million worth of research a year: Office of Research

KU of course has all sorts of things. (Barney Graham is a notable alumni of Wichita's medical education community, and was named as a TIME 2021 person of the year for his research that lead to the COVID vaccine Barney Graham: The 100 Most Influential People of 2021)

There is a new healthcare consortium forming in this town between KU/WSU, and massive research exists on those campuses. *IF* this school can provide connections there that would be very helpful, but I don't know how those politics play out. The question is more of how the relationships between the massive entities in Wichita's healthcare system (The schools, HCA, Ascension Via etc) will respond and contract with this new institution *THOSE* are the questions you guys should be asking during interviews.
Per their announcement (link), "...The school will sit in a historic 90-year-old building at 230 E. William and 130 S. Market". So that address (if you were driving to their 221 S. Topeka St. Wichita location as on their website) is probably an office building. The William/Market location looks like it's being renovated... at least from google map.

Reactions: 1 user
Per their announcement (link), "...The school will sit in a historic 90-year-old building at 230 E. William and 130 S. Market". So that address (if you were driving to their 221 S. Topeka St. Wichita location as on their website) is probably an office building. The William/Market location looks like it's being renovated... at least from google map.
They have posted pictures of the new facility on their instagram page

Anyone check the status on their application portal lately?

Just got a notification that the director of the admission looked at my LinkedIn profile. Do they stalk you? I don't know if I should take it as a good thing or bad 😬

Anyone check the status on their application portal lately?
I have an intent to enroll form? I don’t want to assume an acceptance, but I didn’t see this before. Also background check and immunization stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
I clicked on the intent to enroll form and it stated that they are thrilled to extend an offer of admission to me for 2022. my application status says accepted, however i got no call or email confirmation, perhaps they are just developing their website or maybe not

Reactions: 1 users
For the people that have the intent to enroll form, would you guys mind sharing when you interviewed? Trying to see a rough estimate of when to hear back. Thank you!

Looks like we should get in touch with admissions to rule out a system glitch!

Also got an email in the promotions tab from the president. I interviewed on 2/5. Will be turning down my acceptance as I already have another one! Congrats to everyone else and good luck to those still waiting

Congrats on all the acceptances guys! Looks like the post-interview turnaround is around 2 weeks +/- a couple of days!

Interviewed 2/5 and accepted today! Congrats to all those who have been accepted!

Interviewed on 2/3. Still haven't heard anything back either on the portal or email. Hopefully I hear back soon.

I am looking for a bit of guidance from any friends on this thread who may feel inclined to share opinions. I have been accepted to KansasCOM as well as another more established DO program. The more established school offers a sense of security for obvious reasons in that they have decent COMLEX pass rates and residency match history. I know the traditional advice would be to attend the more established program, but my gut is telling me to attend KansasCOM. I feel like there would be amazing opportunities to build an impressive CV with this school, and I am really interested in the curriculum they are building. After the interview with KansasCOM, I was also left with such a positive impression from the faculty that conducted my interview. I was a reapplicant this cycle and am beyond grateful to have two programs to choose from, but I'm just feeling a bit stuck and I want to make a good choice. Any and all thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I am looking for a bit of guidance from any friends on this thread who may feel inclined to share opinions. I have been accepted to KansasCOM as well as another more established DO program. The more established school offers a sense of security for obvious reasons in that they have decent COMLEX pass rates and residency match history. I know the traditional advice would be to attend the more established program, but my gut is telling me to attend KansasCOM. I feel like there would be amazing opportunities to build an impressive CV with this school, and I am really interested in the curriculum they are building. After the interview with KansasCOM, I was also left with such a positive impression from the faculty that conducted my interview. I was a reapplicant this cycle and am beyond grateful to have two programs to choose from, but I'm just feeling a bit stuck and I want to make a good choice. Any and all thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!
This is the advice I've got from my friends and SDN folks on here. The general consensus is to go to any established program before resorting to a new program. I am not bashing new schools, pursue them if you don't want to reapply, don't want to wait another year, and before considering Caribbean schools (which you shouldn't).

Going to any established program will provide you with better opportunities because you will have students in upper years who you can take advice from and adjust your studying habits accordingly. Being at a new school, you won't have a guide because you will be the first one to go thru it yourself. Professors may help you to study in the right direction, but classmates can help you even more and provide more insight that they believe is gonna help you in the long run as well.

While it is great to have an impressive CV, the goal is to attain residency. I would choose a program that has a record of at least having a match vs. the uncertainty of matching from a new school.

I would rather have security over uncertainty. Take my advice as a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This is the advice I've got from my friends and SDN folks on here. The general consensus is to go to any established program before resorting to a new program. I am not bashing new schools, pursue them if you don't want to reapply, don't want to wait another year, and before considering Caribbean schools (which you shouldn't).

Going to any established program will provide you with better opportunities because you will have students in upper years who you can take advice from and adjust your studying habits accordingly. Being at a new school, you won't have a guide because you will be the first one to go thru it yourself. Professors may help you to study in the right direction, but classmates can help you even more and provide more insight that they believe is gonna help you in the long run as well.

While it is great to have an impressive CV, the goal is to attain residency. I would choose a program that has a record of at least having a match record vs. the uncertainty of matching from a new school.

I would rather take security over uncertainty. Take my advice with a grain of salt.
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response!

• Care
is the MCAT cutoff hard? Saw someone on this thread get a secondary below cutoffs and was looking to apply next cycle with a 496 and this is one of the schools almighty Faha recommended

is the MCAT cutoff hard? Saw someone on this thread get a secondary below cutoffs and was looking to apply next cycle with a 496 and this is one of the schools almighty Faha recommended
I don't think it's a hard cutoff. If you're close to their requirements, admissions will judge your application case to case. Also, do you mind linking what Faha had to say about this school?

I don't think it's a hard cutoff. If you're close to their requirements, admissions will judge your application case to case. Also, do you mind linking what Faha had to say about this school?
I just called admissions here and they said there is no cutoff for MCAT but "competitive" applicants, Faha just told me to apply here as it is a new school

You could improve your chance at all DO schools if you retake MCAT and get like at least 504.

You could improve your chance at all DO schools if you retake MCAT and get like at least 504.
completely agree, but that exam put me in one of the worst states ever and I would rather not travel back to that dark place

• Care
If anyone is considering Kansas COM and KCU (either campus) I would HIGHLY recommend you go with KCU. Don't think you're going to unearth some hidden gem by going to a brand new school. Wichita is saturated with KU and KCU med students and unless you're from the Wichita area and don't want to leave you're doing yourself a disservice by going to Kansas COM over KCU. All other posters congrats on the acceptance and welcome to the DO family

Just declined my seat as I have another A - I hope it goes to one of you who is waiting to hear back! I wish you guys the best of luck!

completely agree, but that exam put me in one of the worst states ever and I would rather not travel back to that dark place
I feel you, I was coped in my room for the whole 2 years cuz I retook it twice. It was the worst thing to go thru mentally, and the pandemic also worsened it because I couldn't go outside to take a "break" or hang out with friends plus not seeing our loved ones.

Honestly, I still wouldn't retake mine, never again. LOL

I would still recommend retaking to improve your chances significantly, but you can shoot your shot with your current score and see how it goes!

Last edited:
I feel you, I was coped in my room for the whole 2 years cuz I retook it twice. It was the worst thing to go thru mentally, and the pandemic also worsened it because I couldn't go outside to take a "break" or hang out with friends plus not seeing our loved ones.

Honestly, I still wouldn't retake mine, never again. LOL

I would still recommend retaking to improve your chances significantly, but you can shoot your shot with your current score and see how it goes!
thank you for the kind words! really the only thing I have going for me is a DO LOR from a clinical director of midwestern CCOM so I'm hoping that kind of catches their attention

• Love
has anyone who’s accepted the offer gotten an email for further steps ?

Still waiting to hear back from this school. No email or change in portal. Interviewed on 2/3. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Still waiting to hear back from this school. No email or change in portal. Interviewed on 2/3. Anyone else in a similar situation?
They might be waiting to see how deposits go on the 7th

has anyone who’s accepted the offer gotten an email for further steps ?
When I emailed my completed Enrollment Agreement, I asked about the next steps email because I was worried I may have missed it. Admissions told me that the email hasn't gone out yet, but that it will be sent out a bit later

Hi everyone! I interviewed yesterday (3/3) and they said the post interview decision should be within 6 weeks. They said it has been taking about 2 weeks, but they say 6 just in case. If anyone has any questions about the interview or the day itself, feel free to ask! I do want to say that everyone is UBERLY friendly and they seem like a pro-student program.