KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all-
Congrats! KCUMB is awesome and you will meet so many incredible people here. I'm going to be a 2nd year (holy crap that went by fast!), so if you ever have any questions, etc, feel free to hit me up!

Leah

Members don't see this ad.

YESIDO, Do we need to request an additional form to add in the computer allowance or do we wait till we receive our financial aid package? Or do we need to wait 'til we get to school for that?

Will that additional fund show up with our first financial aid check or can we get that earlier? If it doesn't show up until later, I may have to pay with a credit card now and get reimbursed later.

Thanks, YES!

I have a question about health insurance.

Do we need to worry about it BEFORE we start? I figured that would happen during orientation - that we would hear from some health insurance companies and would sign up then.

Is this accurate?

Also, are health insurance payments included in our FA package, or does that require additional allowances?

Ok, heres what I know. You have to request an additional petition form for both the insurance and computer allowance. For insurance, you submit any of a number of different forms of payment proof & the allowance request form. For the laptop, you submit your invoice with the price of the computer and its specs and the allowance request form. (They then 'decide' how much they are going to pay for--see above discussions on this) Both (or either) allowances are then added to the total amount of FA you are allowed to have. You can do this step at any time.

But here's the catch. Since we are fortunate enough to be med. school students who's ed. & living expense bills will top what Stafford loans can give you in a year, there are two steps to getting our full loan amount. After the powers that be decide how much Stafford $$ we can have, we will then have to apply for the GradPlus loan to make up the difference of any additional expenses--this will happen sometime during the summer before classes and after our original award letters have been received. (My understanding is that this is pretty much a given unless you have some sort of outside funding, i.e. mega scholarships or rich relatives). This is actually where we will be requesting the allowance $$ from. If you already have your computer and/or health insur policy, they can just tack that amount onto your GradPlus request. If, however, you wait until later to purchase insur or computer, you just have to fill out another GradPlus request for the additional amount. (and yes, you can wait to get insur, b/c we'll have the week of orientation to get things like that settled before official matriculation--they'll have vendor representatives available to talk to/purchase from).

As for disbursement, FA is divided into two payouts--equal amounts for Fall and Spring semesters (the bulk of which we will get the first couple weeks of classes). Our allowances will be split as well. No big deal for people who are making regular payments on health insur. Not so great a deal for someone who put a $2000 computer on their credit card, lol. And if you request it after the original GradPlus application, it will take even longer than that...sigh. HOWEVER, keep in mind that we get all of what we are going to need to live off of in one lump sum, sooo, unless you are paying your rent for the whole semester in 1 payment, you should be able to shift funds around to pay for the computer with no probs, knowing that you will receive more $$ soon to make up for it.

*WHEW* I am tired now, lol! I hope that wasnt too confusing, but let me know if it was and I'll try to decipher my ramblings :cool:

Yes_I_DO thanks for for finding out the info about all the FA stuff. I know at least for me, things can be kinda confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under KCUMB.edu > Prospective Students > Why KCUMB? > Residency Matches it says the following regarding the KCUMB-COMEC:

The KCUMB College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Educational Consortium, a medical education consortium formed in 2003, allows University graduates additional opportunity to garner AOA-accredited residency positions at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston; Baylor University in Houston; St. Mary’s Hospital of Blue Springs, Mo.; Via Christi Regional Medical Center in Wichita, Kan.; and Freeman Health System in Joplin, Mo. KCUMB co-sponsored programs encompass a variety of specialties, including family medicine, internal medicine and orthopedic surgery.

What? The KCUMB-COMEC according to the rest of their site only includes the others listed in that paragraph.

Huh? I was looking at the website of Mass Gen and they only have ACGME accredited residencies....whhhaaat's goin' on?

Huh? I was looking at the website of Mass Gen and they only have ACGME accredited residencies....whhhaaat's goin' on?

Very interesting. It's worth investigating. There exist some residency programs, not necessarily at those locations, that are dually-accredited, AOA/ACGME...

However, that said, I agree with Harvey, it's probably a typo. Who knows, though? :confused:

Very interesting. It's worth investigating. There exist some residency programs, not necessarily at those locations, that are dually-accredited, AOA/ACGME...

However, that said, I agree with Harvey, it's probably a typo. Who knows, though? :confused:

Yeah, I've come across some of those programs...not that I'm looking now or anything :rolleyes: ...it's good to see those programs around in my opinion...

As far as computers, anyone looking at Mac? (I think this has been "posted" about briefly before. Sorry if its a repost. ;))

For those of you who are, are you thinking about MacBook or MacBook Pro? I really want the Pro, but I can't seem to justify it beyond the bigger screen (the 15" vs. the 13" - I don't want to lug a 17"-er around all day). Performance-wise it looks like they're pretty similar.

Also, I received my matriculation packet yesterday!! Very exciting! I can't believe its so close to time!!

As far as computers, anyone looking at Mac? (I think this has been "posted" about briefly before. Sorry if its a repost. ;))

For those of you who are, are you thinking about MacBook or MacBook Pro? I really want the Pro, but I can't seem to justify it beyond the bigger screen (the 15" vs. the 13" - I don't want to lug a 17"-er around all day). Performance-wise it looks like they're pretty similar.

Also, I received my matriculation packet yesterday!! Very exciting! I can't believe its so close to time!!

I just bought a MacBook...the smaller screen. I can confidently say you won't have any problems with it not performing up to par. At the same time, the Pros have bigger screens (if you care) and can perform much better (speed, RAM, hard drive capacity, etc). I doubt these benefits will really help us for what we need to do in medical school unless you really want that bigger screen :)

Either will suffice, but I think you'd be paying for something you won't use if you go for the Pro. Thats just my opinion, though, you may want to do more with the computer than just study....

On a side note about tech., has anyone heard anything about our books being available eletronically? I know some other med schools (KU) have moved to this...

Hey Ev eryone!! I just saw you guys on here and decided joined! Congrats on getting in! I will see you in August!

I also have been looking at computers and I just bought the MacBook...I was debating between the MacBook Pro and MacBook and went with the MacBook.

Hey Ev eryone!! I just saw you guys on here and decided joined! Congrats on getting in! I will see you in August!

Congrats to you too and welcome. There is also a KCUMB class of 2011 facebook group if you are into that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just bought a MacBook...the smaller screen. I can confidently say you won't have any problems with it not performing up to par. At the same time, the Pros have bigger screens (if you care) and can perform much better (speed, RAM, hard drive capacity, etc). I doubt these benefits will really help us for what we need to do in medical school unless you really want that bigger screen :)

Either will suffice, but I think you'd be paying for something you won't use if you go for the Pro. Thats just my opinion, though, you may want to do more with the computer than just study....

On a side note about tech., has anyone heard anything about our books being available eletronically? I know some other med schools (KU) have moved to this...

Has anyone had any experiences with the Sony Vaio - C Series?

The Pro has the bigger screen, more Hard Drive, more RAM, and a better video card... for those of us who might enjoy a good old fashioned 3-D game once in a while, and don't want to have to upgrade in the next 2 years. :D

Now, if only I can kick this bad Windows habit....

Just got an email for KCUMB that our matriculation packets have just been mailed. We should be getting them in the next couple of days. :clap:

Has anyone had any experiences with the Sony Vaio - C Series?

I don't know about the C series, but I've had a sony laptop for the last 5 years and have been pretty happy with it.

just curious....but how old is everyone?

Me = 23 :cool:

I'm 23 as well. I really can't wait to get started!

21 as well...I think I saw on the KCUMB site that the avg age for the class of 2010 was something like 24? Does that sound right?

I think I saw on the KCUMB site that the avg age for the class of 2010 was something like 24? Does that sound right?

I don't know for sure, but I had a similar impression.

Ha, you guys are youngin's. I'm 34, and I remember a time when bell-bottom jeans, polka-dotted polyester shirts, and beehive hairstyles were still in fashion. I guess I'm the "old man" of the crowd thus far. :eek: :laugh:

Ha, you guys are youngin's. I'm 34, and I remember a time when bell-bottom jeans, polka-dotted polyester shirts, and beehive hairstyles were still in fashion. I guess I'm the "old man" of the crowd thus far. :eek: :laugh:

You're old only if you act old buddy...it'll be a great class with a great variety of people :smuggrin: ...I hope :scared:

ahh, 21 sounds so young already......$HIT...so when is everyone moving to KC...and when are we going to have our obligatory drinkfest (I don't know if it's obligatory, but it only seems appropriate) before selling our souls to the devils of higher education?

Right now I only have the impression that our class is comprised of 5 people...they should make it mandatory that all incoming MS-1ers (OMS-1...whatever) devote 2-10 hours (depending on who you are) to SDN......

ahh, 21 sounds so young already......$HIT...so when is everyone moving to KC...and when are we going to have our obligatory drinkfest (I don't know if it's obligatory, but it only seems appropriate) before selling our souls to the devils of higher education?

If everything goes according to plan, I should be out there at the beginning of July. My roommate and I just found a place and are working to close the deal.

Right now I only have the impression that our class is comprised of 5 people...they should make it mandatory that all incoming MS-1ers (OMS-1...whatever) devote 2-10 hours (depending on who you are) to SDN......

Hahaha... I agree.

23 here.

for those living in CT, has anyone heard about what apt you've got? did they call you, you them? i know i've got one, just not sure which one.

I'm 27.

23 here.

for those living in CT, has anyone heard about what apt you've got? did they call you, you them? i know i've got one, just not sure which one.

I know I have an apartment but I haven't heard anything on which one yet...They told me they would call us but it probably wouldn't hurt to call them...

hah, and I am young...I just turned 21! I'm doing an early matriculation program that KCUMB has with MWSU where my first year of medical school transfers back for my last year of undergrad.

23 here.

I know that I have an apt. as well. I called and I guess that it is one that faces inside (I hope to get one that faced west/east). I guess that upper classmen have priority pick and us MSI's get the left overs. I am just happy that I got a unit at CT. They seem kinda slow getting everything put together. Or maybe I am just a little too antsy for the start of school. :hardy:

I know I have an apartment but I haven't heard anything on which one yet...They told me they would call us but it probably wouldn't hurt to call them...

hah, and I am young...I just turned 21! I'm doing an early matriculation program that KCUMB has with MWSU where my first year of medical school transfers back for my last year of undergrad.

Good to see you made your way to this corner of the internet...Good luck next year at KCUMB! :)

Good to see you made your way to this corner of the internet...Good luck next year at KCUMB! :)

Hey!!! Thanks for letting me know about this!!!! Good luck to you too!! Have you found a house yet???

Hey!!! Thanks for letting me know about this!!!! Good luck to you too!! Have you found a house yet???

That's a lotta punctuation.....:cool:

I'll be on the 9th floor, I forget which room though. I only know because we're takin over BradenDO's brother's old room...the...Lussssooooo :smuggrin:

I'm 21 also. And I know I have an apartment at CT, I just don't know which one yet.

Hey all, just checked my mailbox.... I got the matriculation packet:D It is huge and chuck full of info including the order form for our instruments. I jumped right in and already finnished the background check. It is pretty simple. You do it online, though it does cost 37 smackers. Have fun with the packet everyone and have a great weekend everyone.

By the way... How is everyone doing on their studying of the medical terminology book? And how many are blowing it off? I'm through the first 3 chapters and enjoying it so far. The second half of the book looks like a review of my basic physiology class.

By the way... How is everyone doing on their studying of the medical terminology book? And how many are blowing it off? I'm through the first 3 chapters and enjoying it so far. The second half of the book looks like a review of my basic physiology class.

I have not started yet. I am not sure if I'll be finished with it in time. where do you live? i am excited to get the packet!

I haven't even bought it yet. I've heard from a few sources that it isn't that critical at all. I heard that you basically review similar stuff in path.

Is it helpful thus far? Are you learning new things?

Eh hem...:rolleyes: ...I've sort of peruuuused the first few chapters...taking note of things here and there (-itis = inflam :thumbup: )...but nothing like studying for immunology.

I received a BS in molecular and cell bio...and wasn't required to take physiology or anatomy...infact I heard that it was discouraged to take anatomy before med school in that they want to teach it to you their way....hence anatomy not being a pre-req.

I've also been keeping in contact with a recent KCUMB grad who is finishing up her PGY-1 in EM at Univ. of Missouri...and she said to absolutely, positively refrain from studying over the summer....as much as I want to dive into anatomy, I've been restraining myself...

...should I be worried?

I'm 22! :)

Where is this terminology book listed? I've heard of it, I just haven't gotten anything that mentioned it.

Sooo, in the matriculation package it says the $689 for our equipment is mandatory. My brother was going to give me all of his equipment, but I'm thinking I may be out of luck...hmm... What do you guys think?

Braden

I'm 22! :)

Where is this terminology book listed? I've heard of it, I just haven't gotten anything that mentioned it.

Sooo, in the matriculation package it says the $689 for our equipment is mandatory. My brother was going to give me all of his equipment, but I'm thinking I may be out of luck...hmm... What do you guys think?

Braden

Hi, Braden,

From what I've read on here, I think they want you to get their particular set. However, I could be wrong. It's best to call them directly and ask if you can do what you suggest. It might save you some $$.

Hi, Braden,

From what I've read on here, I think they want you to get their particular set. However, I could be wrong. It's best to call them directly and ask if you can do what you suggest. It might save you some $$.

Well, this is his equipment from his 1st year at KCUMB. Granted, its 4 years old but I'm hoping that since it's the brand and everything they want it will be okay. I'm not sure if they have made any changes since then, but hopefully I can find out on Tuesday!

Well, this is his equipment from his 1st year at KCUMB. Granted, its 4 years old but I'm hoping that since it's the brand and everything they want it will be okay. I'm not sure if they have made any changes since then, but hopefully I can find out on Tuesday!

Sounds good. I would think if everything is exactly the same, they should grant you an exception. I think they just want you to have the same brand and type, so they don't students that have variable equipment. Yeah, definitely ask them.

Hey ppl!! Has everyone received there matriculation packets? I havent got mine yet...when did they mail em out??? Just anxious....:)

Hey ppl!! Has everyone received there matriculation packets? I havent got mine yet...when did they mail em out??? Just anxious....:)

I just got mine today! I live in Seattle...I was slightly surprised that they sent it priority...but it was very welcomed :D.

I just received my packet today, and I live on the East Coast. It's a meaty package...lots of stuff to review and send back. I initiated my bkgd check as soon as I read the instructions. It is very minimum fuss.

The next step is to purchase the eq. There are two optional upgrades: 1) Electronic Steth; and 2) Lithium ion handle for the diagnostic set. I've heard that upgrade 2 is a worthwhile investment and not to bother with upgrade 1. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.