KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my packet today, and I live on the East Coast. It's a meaty package...lots of stuff to review and send back. I initiated my bkgd check as soon as I read the instructions. It is very minimum fuss.

The next step is to purchase the eq. There are two optional upgrades: 1) Electronic Steth; and 2) Lithium ion handle for the diagnostic set. I've heard that upgrade 2 is a worthwhile investment and not to bother with upgrade 1. What do you guys think?

I think I have no $$$ :scared:

...nah....the lithium ion battery handle hmmm.......about $100 extra? It may be worth it if you're using your opthalmascope for a reading light at night, which I may do, who knows...we could use some MSII opinions...but then again, in the grand financial scheme, $100 bucks isn't even chump change.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I have no $$$ :scared:

Yeah, I've been essentially penniless for a while now. Dedication to education can do that to you... On the other hand, we are going to become doctors. It's worth the debt. :love:

...nah....the lithium ion battery handle hmmm.......about $100 extra? It may be worth it if you're using your opthalmascope for a reading light at night, which I may do, who knows...we could use some MSII opinions...but then again, in the grand financial scheme, $100 bucks isn't even chump change.

Yeah, it would be nice to have second-year students chiming in on this one. What I heard is that it is more convenient to have the longer-lasting battery, especially if you are in a location that doesn't have an easy way to recharge. This could potentially happen if you are, say, participating in DOCARE, doing physicals in Central America somewhere... But, you are right, it's really very little extra money in the scheme of things. Could be worth the convenience.

Incidentally, I'm really appreciating that our equipment set includes the Harvey DLX steth instead of the Litmann Cardio III. I prefer the traditional switching between the bell and the diaphragm instead of using the 3M "tunable" diaphragm on the Litmanns.

Incidentally, I'm really appreciating that our equipment set includes the Harvey DLX steth instead of the Litmann Cardio III. I prefer the traditional switching between the bell and the diaphragm instead of using the 3M "tunable" diaphragm on the Litmanns.

I am a total noob, but I would appreciate to know what the major differences are? What makes the Harvey better than the Littmann?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a total noob, but I would appreciate to know what the major differences are? What makes the Harvey better than the Littmann?

Ugh. I wrote this masterpiece of a response and it got lost because of this weird login bug that I've been experiencing...

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that "better" in this case is probably relative to the user's comfort and preference. The best stethoscope is the one where you can hear what you are listening for, reliably.

In a stethoscope like the Harvey, there are two heads. One is sensitive to higher frequencies, called the diaphragm head, and the other is sensitive to lower frequencies, called the bell head. In order to switch between frequency sensitivities, you have to turn the head, which means you break contact with the patient's body for the brief moment it takes for you to make the switch. It's not really a big deal.

On Litmann stethoscopes, you have a tunable diaphragm that doubles as both the bell and the diaphragm. If you press lightly against the person's body, the tunable diaphragm is sensitive to lower frequencies, much like the bell of a more traditional stethoscope, like the Harvey. If you press harder against the body, the tunable diaphragm switches to becoming more sensitive to higher frequencies. Therefore, the tunable diaphragm on the Litmann stethoscopes saves you from having to turn the head over and breaking contact with the patient's body in order to switch sensitivities. Your hand pressure makes the switch for you. Some people like this, but I just found it annoying. At times, I pressed too hard for what I was wanting to listen for, and other times I didn't press hard enough, or make good enough contact with the skin. It didn't take me long to get annoyed by the tunable nature of the diaphragm, and I still don't care for it. I'd much rather not mess with hand pressure and have the definitive feel that comes with switching the head to change frequencies, when it is required. Also, I like the thought that if I were to put pressure on the head just because I wanted, or happened, to press harder, without the intention of switching frequencies, it wouldn't change the frequency sensitivity against my desire. That's why I think I would like the Harvey stethoscope better. That's just me, though, and my quirky preferences.

I do like Litmann stethoscopes though, in general; they are good quality stethoscopes. I loved my Classic II SE, especially on loud, moving ambulances. Great sound quality. I just didn't care for the tunable diaphragm, especially when it got in my way.

Anyway, as for the differences, the main ones are that the Litmann Cardio III has two tunable diaphragms, a smaller pediatric head and a larger adult head. You can convert the pediatric head into a bell head, if you want, by removing the small diaphragm. Some folks like to do that. The Harvey has a standard bell head and a regular diaphragm head. I think it comes with a small diaphgram that you can attach to the bell side, for pediatric use. I think they are of comparable quality and are very similar otherwise.

Spice, thanks for the clarification. I have no prior experience with stethoscopes, so at least I have a general idea of what we are getting.

If anyone is interested in some great, high quality, expertly made scrubs - PM me! :)

For the health insurance verification, do we just fill out the sheet they gave us, or does the school also need a photocopy of our insurance cards?

For the health insurance verification, do we just fill out the sheet they gave us, or does the school also need a photocopy of our insurance cards?

Yes I believe that's all they need. I'm waiting till orientation to purchase a plan...

I don't know for sure. I received a letter from the vice president of a department with items that I needed to take care for matriculation. Insurance verification was one of the items. The other was my heath and immunization stuff. I called the admissions office to ask how to do this, since there were no instructions available (this was prior to the mailing of the matriculation packets). They asked me if I currently had insurance. I replied, "yes." I was then told that I simply needed to send them a photocopy of my insurance card. That's precisely what I did and now that item has been taken off my "things to take care of list" for matriculation. The health and immunization stuff remains.

I don't know what that means, but I'm also going to send them the sheet that was provided in the matriculation packet (I plan on keeping my current insurance). To make sure about what you need to do, I'd suggest that you call the office.

Does anyone know if the number we put down for requested financial aid on the back of the aid application is the amount we must stick to? I'm thinking of changing the amount of aid I need. Also, I haven't received my matriculation packet yet. I hope I receive it tomorrow. :(

I was looking online to see how much our medical equipment costs. We are really getting a great deal on some nice equipment. Some of the things we are getting, like the DuraShock Classic Hand Aneroid and the Pan Optic kit are quite advanced. I think the kit we are getting for ~$700 is listed a little over $1500. Quite a good deal if you ask me.

I was looking online to see how much our medical equipment costs. We are really getting a great deal on some nice equipment. Some of the things we are getting, like the DuraShock Classic Hand Aneroid and the Pan Optic kit are quite advanced. I think the kit we are getting for ~$700 is listed a little over $1500. Quite a good deal if you ask me.

That is quite a deal. :thumbup:

I'm quite pleased by the equipment that was selected for inclusion into the kit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question about matriculation packets....

Did anyone notice the yellow page says that "Monday, August 7th" we will be taking class pictures and professional dress is recommended. Any ideas if they mean Monday or really mean Tuesday?

Random question about matriculation packets....

Did anyone notice the yellow page says that "Monday, August 7th" we will be taking class pictures and professional dress is recommended. Any ideas if they mean Monday or really mean Tuesday?

Yeah I had a question about that too. I took it to be on Monday still since that is usually when pictures are taken. Also I looked back at the calendar for 2006, and August 7th was a Monday. I am guessing that they forgot to change the form to say August 6th for this year.

Yeah I had a question about that too. I took it to be on Monday still since that is usually when pictures are taken. Also I looked back at the calendar for 2006, and August 7th was a Monday. I am guessing that they forgot to change the form to say August 6th for this year.

Do you think they want us to wear suits or just slacks/skirt and a nice shirt?

Do you think they want us to wear suits or just slacks/skirt and a nice shirt?

It just says professional attire "strongly recommended." I'm sure you can take it however...I'm thinking interview attire. I know thats easier for us guys than you gals :) Wish I could be more helpful there!

I'm finishing my 3rd year rotation at KCUMB & must honestly say that if I had known better I would NEVER have gone there. Normally, when I see people write these sort of posts- I think that its just the individual having an issue & that it shouldn't involve me. Believe me, I'm not some disgruntled student that would do anything to "get back at my school", & I'm NOT the only student that feels this way. Don't get me wrong, KCUMB was my 1st choice & they really won me over in my interview. In fact, our first year of med school was worthwhile & overall I can say that that year I received a good education. But, that's where it ended! Due to administrative politics, before the start of 2nd year, we lost 5 seasoned professors in the areas of physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, anatomy, & micro/immuno. These were high quality instructors, some of which actually wrote questions for the COMLEX exams. They were either replaced w/ adjunct professors who had never taught in a med school before, or just not replaced at all before it was time for the school year to begin. What we ended up with was the faculty scrambling to figure out who would teach the vacant lectures & who would head up our sections. This gap in our education took its toll when 10% of our class failed the COMLEX on their 1st try! Even if the school has hired some new faculty- its bad planning in other areas WILL affect you! You see, the school keeps upping the class size every year, but continues to divide the classes into only 4 "lab groups". What this means is that there are now 6 people assigned to 1 cadaver! Maybe it could be justified if less cadaver time meant less tuition spent? Also, unlike other DO schools, KCUMB still uses an archaic method of grading that pits student against student and incorrectly reflects student aptitude. For example, if the class average is 88% for a quiz, that is no longer a B+, instead it becomes a B- at best & to actually receive an A you can only miss 1 question at most. So, instead of rewarding students for their hard work & good performance, their GPAs & transcripts are skewed.

The downward spiral continues... within the past year KCUMB lost BOTH of its surgeon lecturers along with the entire surgery residency, so other clinicians gave the lectures. TRUST ME, you want REAL surgeons to teach you their craft. You'll appreciate it once you get into your rotations! As if that wasn't enough, KCUMB recently lost ALL its residency programs & is NOT interested in reinitiating them. What does this mean to you? It means that you are the odd-man-out when you are in clinicals standing next to someone from another school that actually has residencies. Especially when our school has been around for 90 years, we're expected to have a post-grad med. ed. program. (It isn't quite the same for students from the newest DO schools- the Docs know that these programs will be there soon.) For $37K/yr what are you really getting? There are too many other truly GREAT osteopathic schools around. At these places, your tuition money goes to your education FIRST. Instead, KCUMB seems to have a fascination with building pretty buildings that mainly house researchers. Until, KCUMB steps up to the plate and puts its educational quality first, there's NO WAY it can compete w/ other schools!

All in all, for $52,000/year, you'll be getting a pass into a school with MAJOR academic administrative issues whose primary concern is to springboard its President/CEO into the Missouri Governor's mansion. President Pletz is the cornerstone of KCUMB's growth & mission. I can't even bring myself to to think of what will happen when she is gone too! :(

BUYERS PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!

Hmm seems like you are disgruntled.

k, um...yeah, that sucks. I dont even know what to make of that. But even if all that is true, why would you tell us to run for the hills?? Theres really not much we can do about it at this point, we're already committed. I really hope everything you're saying isnt true tho :( this is precisely the kind of thing I thought I was avoiding in KCUMB :(:(

Hmm seems like you are disgruntled.
that's a given... I guess I was pretty harsh :rolleyes: But, like I said at the beginning it isn't anything "personal". I just feel like if people are paying so much money, they should have some idea of what they're getting into. Esp, with the latest residency closings... :(

that's a given... I guess I was pretty harsh :rolleyes: But, like I said at the beginning it isn't anything "personal". I just feel like if people are paying so much money, they should have some idea of what they're getting into. Esp, with the latest residency closings... :(

Which residencies are closing? Thanks for your opinion, dodoc.

Which residencies are closing? Thanks for your opinion, dodoc.

All of the KCUMB residencies are gone: general surgery, internal medicine, family medicine, & the sports medicine fellowship.

There is still a highly competitive AOA orthopedics residency in KC, but it broke off its ties with the school 2 years ago. (its called OSI at St. Mary's Hospital Blue Springs)

All of the KCUMB residencies are gone: general surgery, internal medicine, family medicine, & the sports medicine fellowship.

There is still a highly competitive AOA orthopedics residency in KC, but it broke off its ties with the school 2 years ago. (its called OSI at St. Mary's Hospital Blue Springs)

This needs to be confirmed - sounds fishy. (nothing personal, dodoc.)

I'm finishing my 3rd year rotation at KCUMB & must honestly say that if I had known better I would NEVER have gone there. Normally, when I see people write these sort of posts- I think that its just the individual having an issue & that it shouldn't involve me. Believe me, I'm not some disgruntled student that would do anything to "get back at my school", & I'm NOT the only student that feels this way. Don't get me wrong, KCUMB was my 1st choice & they really won me over in my interview. In fact, our first year of med school was worthwhile & overall I can say that that year I received a good education. But, that's where it ended! Due to administrative politics, before the start of 2nd year, we lost 5 seasoned professors in the areas of physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, anatomy, & micro/immuno. These were high quality instructors, some of which actually wrote questions for the COMLEX exams. They were either replaced w/ adjunct professors who had never taught in a med school before, or just not replaced at all before it was time for the school year to begin. What we ended up with was the faculty scrambling to figure out who would teach the vacant lectures & who would head up our sections. This gap in our education took its toll when 10% of our class failed the COMLEX on their 1st try! Even if the school has hired some new faculty- its bad planning in other areas WILL affect you! You see, the school keeps upping the class size every year, but continues to divide the classes into only 4 "lab groups". What this means is that there are now 6 people assigned to 1 cadaver! Maybe it could be justified if less cadaver time meant less tuition spent? Also, unlike other DO schools, KCUMB still uses an archaic method of grading that pits student against student and incorrectly reflects student aptitude. For example, if the class average is 88% for a quiz, that is no longer a B+, instead it becomes a B- at best & to actually receive an A you can only miss 1 question at most. So, instead of rewarding students for their hard work & good performance, their GPAs & transcripts are skewed.

The downward spiral continues... within the past year KCUMB lost BOTH of its surgeon lecturers along with the entire surgery residency, so other clinicians gave the lectures. TRUST ME, you want REAL surgeons to teach you their craft. You'll appreciate it once you get into your rotations! As if that wasn't enough, KCUMB recently lost ALL its residency programs & is NOT interested in reinitiating them. What does this mean to you? It means that you are the odd-man-out when you are in clinicals standing next to someone from another school that actually has residencies. Especially when our school has been around for 90 years, we're expected to have a post-grad med. ed. program. (It isn't quite the same for students from the newest DO schools- the Docs know that these programs will be there soon.) For $37K/yr what are you really getting? There are too many other truly GREAT osteopathic schools around. At these places, your tuition money goes to your education FIRST. Instead, KCUMB seems to have a fascination with building pretty buildings that mainly house researchers. Until, KCUMB steps up to the plate and puts its educational quality first, there's NO WAY it can compete w/ other schools!

All in all, for $52,000/year, you'll be getting a pass into a school with MAJOR academic administrative issues whose primary concern is to springboard its President/CEO into the Missouri Governor's mansion. President Pletz is the cornerstone of KCUMB's growth & mission. I can't even bring myself to to think of what will happen when she is gone too! :(

BUYERS PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!

what does everyone think of this?........

This needs to be confirmed - sounds fishy. (nothing personal, dodoc.)
;) no offense taken. Here's a link to the school's website which discusses MCI hospital & the residency programs there. MCI hospital has closed it's doors & there went our residency programs...:( Contact persons are listed, so you can verify.

http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/uhscomec/mci.asp

The school website also talks about Freeman health system- they are now affiliated with Oklahoma State University. (The school's website is outdated.)

Lastly, the website has a link to Via Christi Health System. Once again, this program is run by another school. (It is a GREAT family medicine program, though.):)

Sorry, to be such a bearer of bad news. If you need any help finding any other contact info let me know.... I'll check back later.

For now, I have to make the most of the extra day we have off from rotations... I finally have time to run errands. :D

;) no offense taken. Here's a link to the school's website which discusses MCI hospital & the residency programs there. MCI hospital has closed it's doors & there went our residency programs...:( Contact persons are listed, so you can verify.

The school website also talks about Freeman health system- they are now affiliated with Oklahoma State University. (The school's website is outdated.)

Lastly, the website has a link to Via Christi Health System. Once again, this program is run by another school. (It is a GREAT family medicine program, though.):)

Sorry, to be such a bearer of bad news. If you need any help finding any other contact info let me know.... I'll check back later.

For now, I have to make the most of the extra day we have off from rotations... I finally have time to run errands. :D

I would like to hear from some other current KCUMB students about this.

If anyone is interested, IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPads are 25% off ending tomorrow, May 30th as part of their Memorial Day Sale.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...07/2007_05_TP_memorial_day&ipromoID=hpa00082&

I just ordered a 'T Series' with Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz Processor, Vista Business, and 2 GB of RAM among other things including a 14.1 Widescreen and a 4 year protection/warranty plan for under $2000. I saved $496 because of the 25% off!

I don't understand how he can pepper his responses with winks and smiley faces after completely denigrating the institution that we all are trusting our futures to. Instead of telling us how to deal with KCUMBs shortcomings he tells us to "run for the hills" about 10 months too late, and to contact certain individuals to verify his claims...what good does this do?

How much knowledge one acquires is how much one utilizes their resources whether it's at Harvard or a Carribean school, I'm sure every school has their vices, but it's how you deal with these and work around them that determines how you fare as a student...

Granted the tuition should be more than enough to provide for students, but I'm a little suspicious when dodoc is the first KCUMB student I've heard to speak out against the school. Every other current student and grad have expressed positive feelings about the school.

I don't know, I just don't see much good in this post 2 months before we begin our future.

But thanks for the warning........I suppose.

Yes this is the first time I've heard a KCUMB student talk about the school like this.

I don't understand how he can pepper his responses with winks and smiley faces after completely denigrating the institution that we all are trusting our futures to. Instead of telling us how to deal with KCUMBs shortcomings he tells us to "run for the hills" about 10 months too late, and to contact certain individuals to verify his claims...what good does this do?

How much knowledge one acquires is how much one utilizes their resources whether it's at Harvard or a Carribean school, I'm sure every school has their vices, but it's how you deal with these and work around them that determines how you fare as a student...

Granted the tuition should be more than enough to provide for students, but I'm a little suspicious when dodoc is the first KCUMB student I've heard to speak out against the school. Every other current student and grad have expressed positive feelings about the school.

I don't know, I just don't see much good in this post 2 months before we begin our future.

But thanks for the warning........I suppose.

I completely agree with you. From everyone I have spoke to regarding KCUMB, including previous alumni and current medical students, this is the first negative tirade I have come across. I do believe that your education is what you make of it, and no school is going to be perfect; however, I do not think we have any need to worry. :)

Posts like these, where the OP signs up the day of posting a response bashing a school, should be taken with a grain of sand. I am sure things will take place during our 4yrs that we won't like or wish we could change. However, KCUMB has been knowing for producing great physicians. Just look at their match lists for the past couple of years. I have been intouch with 4-5 current med-students and 2 recent graduates who are in residency. None of them had anything but good things to say about the school and its ability to prepare students for residency. It would be interesting to hear what BradenDO says since her brother is currently a student.

For all we know you could just be someone on the waitlist trying to get people to drop out. Coming on here with a zero post history doesn't give you much credability. The fact that KCUMB is willing to spend good $$$ on building new facilities and securing quality 3rd/4th year spots means a lot. I just don't get the feeling that we will be left out to dry, especially after talking to current students and alumni.

For all we know you could just be someone on the waitlist trying to get people to drop out. Coming on here with a zero post history doesn't give you much credability. The fact that KCUMB is willing to spend good $$$ on building new facilities and securing quality 3rd/4th year spots means a lot. I just don't get the feeling that we will be left out to dry, especially after talking to current students and alumni.

^^ :thumbup:

AND

^ I agree!

I must say....I completely agree Harvey! I've read posts like this many times about many schools. We are spending a lot of money and trusting that the institution (being generic) delivers on its promises. However, I feel my education is my responsibility. What is the saying??....its impossible to please everyone all the time. And if you're going to be spooked everytime someone has a negative opinion, you'll spend a lot of time running!

I must say....I completely agree Harvey! I've read posts like this many times about many schools. We are spending a lot of money and trusting that the institution (being generic) delivers on its promises. However, I feel my education is my responsibility. What is the saying??....its impossible to please everyone all the time. And if you're going to be spooked everytime someone has a negative opinion, you'll spend a lot of time running!

Ya, I'm not down. At all. However, what he is saying may be true, but I agree, what does it matter now? The faculty positions may be true, the grading system, etc. It may all be true. But, we are going, and we'll do our best, and we will all get where we want to go. I find it hard to believe that a certain med school will in some way hinder us in the future.

laters.

Until the OP's claims are verified by a trusted source, we should just take it as hearsay. I agree, however, that his advice is unhelpful. As aforementioned in a previous post, I'd also like to hear from more current students about this.

I agree; it's up to us to take care of ourselves and to take complete responsibility for our education. We need to make the most of every available resource and to the take initiative in nurturing our own academic wellbeing, no matter what the baseline condition happens to be, or what challenges are ahead. We are not the victims of our environment, but people with true creative power. The difference between a mediocre student and a great one, in my opinion, has a lot to do with attitude. It is in how a student faces the challenges, individual and environmental, that are presented to him or her, and how committed to learning he or she is. Great students are not satisfied with passing standards and they don't blame others for their failures; they take complete ownership of their process, continually learn from their mistakes, and strive for better.

This is the first time I'm hearing this as well. I was shocked when I read the OP's post. I'm suspicious of the OP's post. I can't prove or disprove it, however. I did a search for MCI and discovered that there is a new medical center in Independence called Centerpoint Medical Center, also an affiliate of HCA, Inc. It opened in April of this year. The link provided for MCI at the KCUMB site points to Centerpoint Medical Center. That's all I know so far.

Again, I agree. The question is, "how can we thrive in the current environment, whatever that happens to be?"

Hey guys, I know some of you mentioned having to read that book before school starts, but can you tell me what it is called and the author?
Thanks

Hey guys, I know some of you mentioned having to read that book before school starts, but can you tell me what it is called and the author?
Thanks

Medical Terminology, A Systems Approach
Fifth Edition, by Barbara A. Gylys and Mary Ellen Wedding
Copyright 2005, by F.A. Davis Company, Philadelphia

I completely agree with you. From everyone I have spoke to regarding KCUMB, including previous alumni and current medical students, this is the first negative tirade I have come across. I do believe that your education is what you make of it, and no school is going to be perfect; however, I do not think we have any need to worry. :)

I have spoken with over 20 students from KCUMB, all of them sang praises of the school and its educational advancements. There is bound to be one out of 250 students that gets there toes stepped on along the way. But even then that’s better than a 99.5% approval rating!! :D:D

I received my matriculation packet today and I have two questions:

1. Regarding the 'Required Medical Equipment' form, isn't that taken out of our financial aid? (the fee is already placed into our first year FA package, right?) Or if we choose Option B - the Lithium upgrade, then we pay the difference between Option B and Option A? How does that work?

2. I'm missing the following form: "Post-Admissions Questionnaire on Reasonable Accommodations". When was I supposed to receive that form and do I need to call the Admissions office to receive another?

Enough of the negativity...I'm moving on. I'm sure we can all make KCUMB a better place in the 4 years we have there regardless of the state its in now. Nevertheless, I'm confident that we will all be successful physicians from KCUMB if we so choose to be.

As far as the mat. packet, did anyone else notice the "Notepool" plug? And if so, are you interested? I'm not sure what all that entails...

I received my matriculation packet today and I have two questions:

1. Regarding the 'Required Medical Equipment' form, isn't that taken out of our financial aid? (the fee is already placed into our first year FA package, right?) Or if we choose Option B - the Lithium upgrade, then we pay the difference between Option B and Option A? How does that work?

I believe that the medical equipment is included in our financial aid, however we need to pay for it now inorder to have our equipment kit when we start school in August. As a result we will have to pay for it now, and when our loan money is dispursed we will get that money back in our pocket. It is kinda like what happened with the $2000 deposit we paid. While it is put toward our tuition when school starts, we don't get that money back until we get our loan money. I just paid for the medical equipment with a credit card that has 0% APR until next year.

A few friends that are currently in MD schools, told me that it really isn't necessary to buy the equipment, except for a good stetoscope. However it seems like KCUMB is requiring us to get the kit. I am happy that we are getting a great deal on the stuff, I just wonder how much we will use it. Seems like most exam rooms have a blood pressure cuff, ophthalmoscope, and otoscope. I guess it will be nice to have our own sets if we go overseas for a medical trip.

Sorry, I can't answer question #2.

As far as the mat. packet, did anyone else notice the "Notepool" plug? And if so, are you interested? I'm not sure what all that entails...

This is a service provided by students who will be responsible for the notes. I think you pay a set amount at the beginning of the year and then you get a copy of each days notes. I wonder how useful it is. After the power points, lecture mp3's, textbooks, board review books, your own notes...etc. would you really need another source? Would one have the time to make use of them? I just wonder if it is really worth it.

I believe that the medical equipment is included in our financial aid, however we need to pay for it now inorder to have our equipment kit when we start school in August. As a result we will have to pay for it now, and when our loan money is dispursed we will get that money back in our pocket.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it as well.

A few friends that are currently in MD schools, told me that it really isn't necessary to buy the equipment, except for a good stetoscope. However it seems like KCUMB is requiring us to get the kit. I am happy that we are getting a great deal on the stuff, I just wonder how much we will use it. Seems like most exam rooms have a blood pressure cuff, ophthalmoscope, and otoscope. I guess it will be nice to have our own sets if we go overseas for a medical trip.

I'm glad we are getting the kit as well. I'd like to practice as much as possible. Since I will have all of the equipment for a physical examination, a lot of the people around are going to get free physicals. :smuggrin: :laugh:

Also, another reason it's good to have all of the equipment is that we have Score 1 for Health. Hopefully, we will have even more opportunities to work with patients.

I wonder how useful it is. After the power points, lecture mp3's, textbooks, board review books, your own notes...etc. would you really need another source? Would one have the time to make use of them? I just wonder if it is really worth it.

I agree. Also, there is value in actually taking notes. I am very kinesthetically-oriented, so actually writing stuff down can help me retain the information.

2. I'm missing the following form: "Post-Admissions Questionnaire on Reasonable Accommodations". When was I supposed to receive that form and do I need to call the Admissions office to receive another?

That's odd. I did not have such a form in my packet, nor did I realize there was supposed to be one present. There was no mention of it in the list of items needing to be returned, nor was it mentioned elsewhere. What is that form pertaining to? :confused:

Also, another reason it's good to have all of the equipment is that we have Score 1 for Health. Hopefully, we will have even more opportunities to work with patients.

:thumbup::thumbup: I forgot about using our own equipment for Score 1. I guess it makes sense that the school wants us all to have the same equipment and to have it early in the year. I will also be trying out my skills on friends and family. :D

That's odd. I did not have such a form in my packet, nor did I realize there was supposed to be one present. There was no mention of it in the list of items needing to be returned, nor was it mentioned elsewhere. What is that form pertaining to? :confused:

I'm with spice on this one. I didn't get that sheet either. Could that be the voluntary questionnaire that they asked us to fill out after our interview (our impression of the school, how the interview went, were the questions thoughtful, what did you like best...etc.)?

I believe that the medical equipment is included in our financial aid, however we need to pay for it now inorder to have our equipment kit when we start school in August. As a result we will have to pay for it now, and when our loan money is dispursed we will get that money back in our pocket. It is kinda like what happened with the $2000 deposit we paid. While it is put toward our tuition when school starts, we don't get that money back until we get our loan money. I just paid for the medical equipment with a credit card that has 0% APR until next year.

Sorry, I can't answer question #2.

OK. Thanks for answering the question!

I thought the $2000 I already paid was being taken out of the first year's tuition and I wasn't going to have to see that $2000 again. You're saying that I will still take out a loan for that same $2000! I guess if that is the case, then I will pay the $2000 toward the credit card that I used for the payment.

I will call the Admissions Office soon and ask about the 2nd form.

Status
Not open for further replies.