KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I can't wait to get started, it's getting so close, and I'm getting to the point where I'd really like to start packing right now!

I feel likewise.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I can't wait to get started, it's getting so close, and I'm getting to the point where I'd really like to start packing right now! Just, figured I'd throw that out there, also, is anyone planning on having boyfriends, girlfriends, ect, coming and living with them. My boyfriend is gonna be living with me, he reads this, and I just wanted to see if there would be anyone for him to hang out with while I'm studying my life away!
~alicia

My girlfriend is moving to KC as well. I can't wait since we have been long distance for the last two years. I am also excited for school to start up. :thumbup:

My girlfriend is moving to KC as well. I can't wait since we have been long distance for the last two years. I am also excited for school to start up. :thumbup:

My boyfriend and I have also been doing long distance for a while and we are looking forward to finally being in the same city and state. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this on youtube, i was amazed at the animations. If anyone is interested in joining the club during the 2007-2008 check out the video. Dr. Friedlander is awesome by the way, you'll def know ur path inside and out.

Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=T-qj5r5oe18

I just had a chance to watch the video and was blown away by it. Well done.:bow: I can't wait to have classes by the PathGuy. What does the path club do? Is it just for those interested in going into pathology, or just anyone that would like to have a greater understanding of path?

People! Listen to what I just found out! I'm about to buy a new laptop and to make my life easier via technology, I figured I'd throw a couple of $$ at the issue and get extra memory, speed, etc etc. But before I knew it, I had exceeded the $2500 max allowance. Sooo, I called FinAid and asked, "If I exceed the allowance, will I still get the $2500 added to my loan amount?" I was floored by her answer. I was told that regardless of how much it costs, they may not pay for anything more than what is required. So even tho Im not spending the $$ on fancy speakers or unnecessary software, what they actually "reimburse" me for is up to their discretion.

That's the oddest thing I've ever heard. Its my debt that Im incurring anyway and they've already put a cap on it, so its not like I can do crazy credit/debt damage. I mean, what kind of laptop would you EVER see with their specifications that could cost anywhere CLOSE to $2500! Uhhh, Im annoyed.

Ya- the loan will only cover the specs. School is trying hard to ensure that we don't totally "screw" ourselves financially... a reasonable mission in my opinion. yes, you are right- you won't find a $2500 laptop that only has the minimum requirements. So, I've sent school a list of the specs of my new computer (I sent them everything i bought, even though they won't cover some of it), and we'll see what they give me back.

It is kind of silly. If I could've gotten the full $2500 I probably would have spent it all!

As far as loan frustration goes, i have a feeling this may only be the beginning!

Future kcumb trained doctors!! Congrats for all that you've accomplished! This is a big step and you've made it! It seemed like yesterday when I was in your shoes! Get ready for some hard work and good times, the year will go by fast! pm me if you have any questions!

Hey all... I just finished my first year and I started out with a Vaio and ended up buying a Mac... I love it and a lot of other students have them too. It is awesome. There have been a few things that suck about it as far as compatibility but honestly I wouldn't go back to a pc for anything.
So, here is the Mac scopp: Most importantly, i just bought one... SWEET!
-you can buy one now, and apply for reimbursment before march 2008.
-i have also spoken with "erf" a few times over email, and it seems that a mac will not hinder us at all. there are plenty of pc available if we need them.
-also, as far as running a windows platform on your mac, don't do it. it defeats the purpose of having a mac, your machine immediately becomes succeptible to viruses... i.e. it is no longer a mac once you have windows on it.

happy computing!

Alicia,
My boyfriend will be moving with me as well. I am sure he would really enjoy having someone else to hang out with that can relate. Where are y'all moving from? I am moving from Texas and he is currently in Indianapolis, IN. We will look forward to meeting you both. :)

Michelle
~Michelle
We're both living in Michigan right now, we'll be down there hopefully by the end of July, look forward to meeting you guys as well
~alicia

Anyone know the wireless status of KCUMB? When I interviewed (9/11) they were still in the process of setting it all up. :sleep:

Am I the only one who isn't married/in a relationship???? In fact my girlfriend and I broke up because she said she wouldn't be able to do the long distance thing again...hmmmmmm...catch 22 in applying to med school. :oops:

Well, I am sorry to hear that y'all broke up, but everything happens for a reason. I was recently single until about 5 months ago when an old boyfriend and I reconnected - and now we are moving to KC together. It's funny how things work out. :) Maybe you'll meet a cute intern in KC;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who isn't married/in a relationship???? In fact my girlfriend and I broke up because she said she wouldn't be able to do the long distance thing again...hmmmmmm...catch 22 in applying to med school. :oops:

I am sooooooooo not in a relationship! I ended my 2nd (yes 2nd) 4 yr relationship last Aug and have been LOVING the single life. I think I would be open to dating, but really im in no hurry. And dating classmates is always a bad idea. I shutter to think about it. :scared: But then again....with 250+ students...who knows :rolleyes:

I am sooooooooo not in a relationship! I ended my 2nd (yes 2nd) 4 yr relationship last Aug and have been LOVING the single life. I think I would be open to dating, but really im in no hurry. And dating classmates is always a bad idea. I shutter to think about it. :scared: But then again....with 250+ students...who knows :rolleyes:

Oh I totally know what you're saying. Being single is great, especially since in about 3 months I will (along with many of you all) be married to medicine.

I think if I were to date a fellow student it would just turn into a biiiig, uggggllly, competition. :smuggrin: And we all know how those turn out.

I thought the class size was 250.....not 205+...hmm.

Am I the only one who isn't married/in a relationship????

I'm also single. I've been pretty busy getting into medical school; haven't had time for a good relationship. I think great relationships require time, attention, and patience; unfortunately, these were elements that I had in short supply in the past few years as I moved futher into the application process. In other words, good relationships are like plants, if you don't water them, give them sunshine, they wither and eventually die. It's not that I didn't have a great personal/social life; I did. I just didn't want to pretend that I could do a committed relationship and be all half-a$$ed, when I knew that I was more committed to getting into medical school than just about anything else. However, now that I'm in... ;) :p :D :cool: :)

With all this relationship talk, I feel like I'm headed to Seattle Grace Hospital, not KCUMB!!

WOW! Drama forum.

And hey MississippiDO: I pitty the fool too!

I just received an email from the admissions office indicating that the matriculation packets are ready to be sent! :banana:

Good news indeed. :thumbup: Does anyone know what material is usually included in the matriculation packet? Is that when we get our KCUMB email accounts?

Ha Ha!! Now I have that song stuck in my head...Peanut Butter Jelly Time..Peanut Butter Jelly Time...ha ha!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

NOW WHE' YA AT WHE' YA AT WHE' YA AT...PEANUT BUTTA JEELLLY PEANUT BUTTA JELLY...PEANUTBUTTERANDABASBALLBAT PEANUTBUTTERANDABASEBALLBAT.

I think this post has digressed significantly since I started posting again. :hardy:

It is around 250, as far as I remember. It's a large class in general, but I think we are broken down into smaller groups, by alphabetic order.

Uh-oh Patrick! You're going to get sooo sick of me! :p You have to live with me AND be in my group? hahaha

Excited to come back and see the campus, haven't been there for 2 years now. Graduation comes upon prety unexpetedly. You'll see. Goodluck to all the incoming first years. The next 4 years will surely be bitter-sweet. Hey that's an oxymoron isn't it? Later.

Uh-oh Patrick! You're going to get sooo sick of me! :p You have to live with me AND be in my group? hahaha

Speaking of living, where is everyone planning on living? I'm sure this has been talked about before so sorry....just getting closer so I thought I'd check again.

I'm looking at lofts in River Market area, anyone else?

GOING to get sick of you? Braden, I already am. :sleep:

Kidding. :smuggrin:

Speaking of living, where is everyone planning on living? I'm sure this has been talked about before so sorry....just getting closer so I thought I'd check again.

I am closing on my loft in the River Market area June 4th. :clap:

BScheu, I'm still looking. I am coming out around the 1st of June to look at places.

Which loft are you looking at, and how much are you looking to spend, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't seen a loft in the Rivermarket area for less than $600.

P.S. MichelOwe, which loft are you looking at?

BScheu, I'm still looking. I am coming out around the 1st of June to look at places.

Which loft are you looking at, and how much are you looking to spend, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't seen a loft in the Rivermarket area for less than $600.

I agree. I was excited when I was looking online and found some nice lofts in the 550-600 range. But when I called I learned that they were only for those who qualified for low income housing. So really they were another $100-150 a month. A little too rich for my blood.

I agree. I was excited when I was looking online and found some nice lofts in the 550-600 range. But when I called I learned that they were only for those who qualified for low income housing. So really they were another $100-150 a month. A little too rich for my blood.

Still looking as well, but I have been looking into the idea of purchasing one...

Still trying to figure out all the options down there. I agree theres a lot of nice stuff, only to find out its more expensive than possible.

I'll definitely share if I come up with anything.

Anyone working while in med school? If so...what job?

Anyone working while in med school? If so...what job?

No work for me. I think that studying will keep me more than occupied. :D Are you planning on working?

No work for me. I think that studying will keep me more than occupied. :D Are you planning on working?

Hmm, I don't know, eventually maybe after I get settled in...a few days here and there perhaps.

Hmm, I don't know, eventually maybe after I get settled in...a few days here and there perhaps.

It's sort of frowned upon to work while in medical school, but some do it on the DL. I think if it's medically-related, it might be beneficial, and one night a week seems reasonable, given the rigors of medical school. I was considering being a volunteer EMT-B one night a week. I'm certified in Maryland, but it doesn't port over to MO, unfortunately. I'd have to restudy the material and take the national exam. Might be worth doing, just for the experience and fun. We'll see.

On another note, I am a yoga/martial arts teacher. It would be perfectly fun and reasonable for me to teach one night a week. What a great way to stay in balance.

I believe that if you live within your means that you will have more than enough money to live on during the year. It might be harder to make it last through the summer, but then you can get a job. IMO, it would be better to study those hours or get extra sleep.

I would like to continue to work as a paramedic part-time, but I don’t who hires part-time and in the college catalogue it states… “Each COM student, upon admission, must sign an agreement not to engage in any activities (from the time of admission to the University until graduation or other termination of student status), which might be construed as the practice of medicine or
any phase thereof. This policy prohibits students from practicing medicine as a volunteer in addition to those activities engaged in for compensation, even though the student may be a licensed practitioner of such activity, such as a medical doctor, dentist, podiatrist, chiropractor or other health care professional. The only exception to this policy is if the student is acting under the direct supervision of a licensed physician or the clinical faculty of the University.”
So, I kind of think I am S.O.L as a medic, but I am going to call them and ask.

So, I kind of think I am S.O.L as a medic, but I am going to call them and ask.

Darn. There goes my idea to do some limited EMT-B work. Let me know what they say, because I'd like to know as well.

Well, maybe there is going to be club that offers at least some volunteer work at a free clinic that offers direct supervision by a licensed physician, or faculty member of the university. I'd love to continue working with patients at some level, during my pre-clinical years. It's so much fun. :D

Darn. There goes my idea to do some limited EMT-B work. Let me know what they say, because I'd like to know as well.

Well, maybe there is going to be club that offers at least some volunteer work at a free clinic that offers direct supervision by a licensed physician, or faculty member of the university. I'd love to continue working with patients at some level, during my pre-clinical years. It's so much fun. :D

I believe that we'll be participating in the Score One for Health...or something like that. Basically, you do physicals for elementary age kids for school. I'm sure it gets kind of monotonous but it seems fun getting to work with kids! :p

I believe that we'll be participating in the Score One for Health...or something like that. Basically, you do physicals for elementary age kids for school. I'm sure it gets kind of monotonous but it seems fun getting to work with kids! :p

I think that's only once a year though. Does anyone know anything about the summer opportunities in which you get "credit" for working with a physician? I've tried contacting current students about this but no one has replied yet...and they briefly went over it in the interview. I'd love to come back to Seattle and work with some docs....

I think that's only once a year though. Does anyone know anything about the summer opportunities in which you get "credit" for working with a physician? I've tried contacting current students about this but no one has replied yet...and they briefly went over it in the interview. I'd love to come back to Seattle and work with some docs....

I can give a quick comment on this one. In the summer between your first and second year you can do a type of mini sub-i in internal med, family practice or surgery (I think those are the only 3). I'm not exactly sure what kind of "credit" you get out of the deal, but I know you get to work with the doc for about a month, and you get a stipend. I have a few friends that are doing it this summer, and I would have done it myself but I have some other obligations to take care of.

Besides this, there is an early clinical experience you are required to do sometime in your first year. It is more of a formality, since it's just another shadowing experience that nearly any pre-med has done a number of times.

Hope that helps

I am closing on a 2 bed 2 bath "condo" in Riverbend Lofts on June 4th. Their website is http://www.riverbendloftskc.com/. They are located at 2nd Street and Main. It is roughly 1-2 miles away from campus. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.