KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spice, you are a great writer.

Thanks, Harvey, you are too kind. I think I write better than usual when I write about things that inspire me. I tend to over-edit my work, however. :oops: I am learning how to be more extemporaneous and spontaneous with writing.

Anyway, what you are reading is probably the result of writing way too revisions of my PS and too many secondary essays that say essentially the same thing, but in a slightly different way. This whole application process has definitely improved my writing skills, but I guess a side-effect is that certain key descriptions of my life and phrases have become burned into my brain, kind of like how a CRT monitor gets when you project the same image on the tube for too long. :lol:

Members don't see this ad.

congrats to everyone who will be coming to KCUMB next year. I am a second year there now...studying for my stinking board exams. None of you have anything to worry about. You all will be very well prepared for both the usmle and comlex exams. Also in my opinion you should definitely take both tests. If you work hard your first two years there is no way you will fail either one of those tests. Enjoy the rest of your summer break and best of luck!

congrats to everyone who will be coming to KCUMB next year. I am a second year there now...studying for my stinking board exams. None of you have anything to worry about. You all will be very well prepared for both the usmle and comlex exams. Also in my opinion you should definitely take both tests. If you work hard your first two years there is no way you will fail either one of those tests. Enjoy the rest of your summer break and best of luck!

Is it true that the biochem teaching is a little weak at KCUMB? So those planning to take the USMLE need to spend extra time on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I lost that white physical form that KCUMB sent... anyone know of a place to download it online?

So I have been out of town for a couple weeks having fun and relaxing. I returned home to find my matriculation packet waiting! I went through and filled out all the forms and sent them off, including the medical supplies form to be charged to my credit card. Way back in 3rd grade, I was diagnosed with a partial hearing loss in my left ear. No one knows about my hearing loss except my wife and even then I just use it as a crutch when I want to tune her out! In my haste, I chose the medical supplies kit C that has the special steth. Then I jumped on SDN and saw the post written while I was gone about the electronic steth looking ridiculous. Will I be the only ****** at school? Should I call them up and tell them just to give me the normal one! I don't want to be known as Dr. Deaf!

So I have been out of town for a couple weeks having fun and relaxing. I returned home to find my matriculation packet waiting! I went through and filled out all the forms and sent them off, including the medical supplies form to be charged to my credit card. Way back in 3rd grade, I was diagnosed with a partial hearing loss in my left ear. No one knows about my hearing loss except my wife and even then I just use it as a crutch when I want to tune her out! In my haste, I chose the medical supplies kit C that has the special steth. Then I jumped on SDN and saw the post written while I was gone about the electronic steth looking ridiculous. Will I be the only ****** at school? Should I call them up and tell them just to give me the normal one! I don't want to be known as Dr. Deaf!

It's probably a little funny looking, but it's better to have a funny looking steth than have one where you can't hear what you need to hear. You don't want to miss hearing a critical and diagnostic heart sound, or something, on a patient for the sake of appearances. Seriously, it's the function that matters; it needs to fit what you need, even if the form looks a little funny. If you have partial hearing loss, then the electronic steth is probably a good choice. You probably aren't the only one who has hearing deficits, and while it's never cool to be judged, I think it's worth risking assumptions and judgments on the part of your peers for a more easeful way to listen in on sounds, especially when you are in the learning phase. That's just my 2 cents.

It's probably a little funny looking, but it's better to have a funny looking steth than have one where you can't hear what you need to hear. You don't want to miss hearing a critical and diagnostic heart sound, or something, on a patient for the sake of appearances. Seriously, it's the function that matters; it needs to fit what you need, even if the form looks a little funny. If you have partial hearing loss, then the electronic steth is probably a good choice. You probably aren't the only one who has hearing deficits, and while it's never cool to be judged, I think it's worth risking assumptions and judgments on the part of your peers for a more easeful way to listen in on sounds, especially when you are in the learning phase. That's just my 2 cents.

I agree. If anyone asks you about your "funny" looking steth, just tell them you bought the Cadillac of stets. :thumbup:

Ya, you're right. I looked at a few on the web and they don't look too different. But I agree, function is much more important than appearance. By the way, does anyone know what KCUMB's policy is on scrubs? Can we wear scrubs with logos and college decals on them or do they have to be plain colors?

By the way, does anyone know what KCUMB's policy is on scrubs? Can we wear scrubs with logos and college decals on them or do they have to be plain colors?

You might want to call the school or maybe ask your big brother/sister if no one here knows. While I can't answer your question beyond that, I just bought 5 sets of plain green scrubs. Were you thinking of getting yours customized with logos?

Hey All,

I have been out of touch for a while...

Does anyone have a link that lists where KCUMB grads matched for residency?

Thanks and see you in a couple months!:thumbup:

You might want to call the school or maybe ask your big brother/sister if no one here knows. While I can't answer your question beyond that, I just bought 5 sets of plain green scrubs. Were you thinking of getting yours customized with logos?

Not necessarily. I found a website with some scrubs that have college logos on them. So I was thinking that it would be cool to get some scrubs that have the teams I like to root for on them. Also, how often do people wear scrubs to school? Everyday or just when they feel like it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, how often do people wear scrubs to school? Everyday or just when they feel like it?

I think you can begin wearing them after the second week of school, but most folks wear them sooner. I believe you can wear them during classes and lab (except where different clothing is indicated), but you need to dress up with white coat when you are seeing patients or representing the school in some way. I'm not sure, but these are my impressions. Perhaps a second year will chime in?

Not necessarily. I found a website with some scrubs that have college logos on them. So I was thinking that it would be cool to get some scrubs that have the teams I like to root for on them. Also, how often do people wear scrubs to school? Everyday or just when they feel like it?

Oh ic. That is a cool idea. I was thinking of wearing scrubs most days unless we had a guess lecturer/special even that warrented coming in with a dress shirt and tie. I am more of a laid back guy and like being comfortable while in class.

Hey All,

I have been out of touch for a while...

Does anyone have a link that lists where KCUMB grads matched for residency?

Thanks and see you in a couple months!:thumbup:

The 2005, 2006, and 2007 matchlists are floating around here somewhere. I'm at work, so I can't link to them right now.

In terms of function a few friends of mine thought the electronic one was worthless and wound up buying the standard steths. Although I wasn't a big fan of the standard steths offered to our class. To heavy, poor acoustics, and placing it in your ears feels like you are putting your head in a nutcracker. I wound up springing for a Littman Cardio 3 during second year. The sound quality is excellent, even allowing me to pick up murmurs my residents missed. If the school offers this in a package get it.

I got my background check results back today. I was looking at the report and under the SSN results it lists all the addresses and names of people who have used that SSN in the past. I have 4 or 5 other people out there using my SSN number in the LA area with latin names. You think they are illegals using my number to get paychecks!?

I got my background check results back today. I was looking at the report and under the SSN results it lists all the addresses and names of people who have used that SSN in the past. I have 4 or 5 other people out there using my SSN number in the LA area with latin names. You think they are illegals using my number to get paychecks!?

That is freaky. If I were you I would go to the authorities (SSA) and let them know about this. You don't want this to bite you later down the road. Have you done a credit history/check recently? You might want to think about that.

Could someone please post the website for the background check and any info I"ll need to do that I left my info at my house and I'm not going to be there for a couple weeks.
Thanks

Could someone please post the website for the background check and any info I"ll need to do that I left my info at my house and I'm not going to be there for a couple weeks.
Thanks

I don't know if it's okay with KCUMB to release the information on a public website; I'm going to assume that it is not. I suggest calling the admissions office and asking for the information directly.

Harvey and others living at CT,

Do you know if we'll be expected to pay for rent before our financial aid checks come in? Will they work with us on that?

That same thing happened to my brother, he was contacted by the FBI because some guy in Texas was using his SSN. They recommended he go to the social security place and file for a new number. I believe it is a pain but your number is out there being used and will probably keep on being used. I would contact the school as well to let them know what is going on.

Harvey and others living at CT,

Do you know if we'll be expected to pay for rent before our financial aid checks come in? Will they work with us on that?

One of the perks of living at CT, they are very understanding when it comes to this. Make sure you talk to them before hand, they will give you some grace time till checks arrive.

As said above, you have to talk to them before it is late. If you don't, you will be charged a late fee. (I try to make sure they write it down somewhere if it is one of the workers that doesn't know me.)

As for scrubs, the dress code says plain scrubs. If there are little logos on the pockets or something like that, I wouldn't worry about it. 'Nursing' scrubs aren't allowed (the colorful and fun prints). As for how often wearing scrubs, the only times I dressed up was for the HPS and patient interviews and Score 1. Other than that, it was scrubs everyday (even with guest lecturers).

However, I will heed the advice that was given to me: wear jeans / 'normal' clothing at least once a week or you will gain weight without noticing it until you try on your clothes and they don't fit. Some people tried (ate better and worked out) and lost about 20-30 pounds throughout the year, others got stressed and studied a lot, didn't work out, ate out, and managed to gain about 40 pounds in just the first semester (that was the worst I had heard). It is hard to eat right and work out with the schedule (I'm not the best), but trust me, if you set a schedule and stick to it, you will be able to do it all year (maybe just not during finals weeks, although some do).

For me there's someone listed with my first name, my middle initial, but a different last name. This person also has the same address as me except 22nd street instead of 23rd. hmmm

For me there's someone listed with my first name, my middle initial, but a different last name. This person also has the same address as me except 22nd street instead of 23rd. hmmm

The background check folks draw on several databases and there can be inaccuracies in the records. I have some as well, like an inaccurate variation on a real address of mine. I wouldn't make too much out of this kind of error. You can get a copy of your credit reports and check the address information that the CRA's have. It is possible to correct mistakes present on those records and/or delete the entries.

Something similar happened to me as well.

I didn't have that on mine. They had listed my name and address twice under my SSN#. Not sure what that means.

Has anyone received their FA award letter yet?

Nope............

I think I'm going to do the MBA program. If I get accepted that is.

I have thought about that as well, but I need to listen to some more presentations put on by Rockhurst/KCUMB on the program.

I have thought about that as well, but I need to listen to some more presentations put on by Rockhurst/KCUMB on the program.

When are these presentations you speak of??? The 2nd year med student that called me up (while I was fly fishing!!) was an MBA student...speaking to him pushed me a little further over the edge to becoming a "domba" candidate.

When are these presentations you speak of??? The 2nd year med student that called me up (while I was fly fishing!!) was an MBA student...speaking to him pushed me a little further over the edge to becoming a "domba" candidate.

Sometime before Nov. when we have to decide if we will do the dual program.

What's the most comfortable brand of scrubs and what's the best website to find them at?

What's the most comfortable brand of scrubs and what's the best website to find them at?

Go to your local hospital and steal some :smuggrin: They're the MOOOOST comfortable! Ha, but other than that, allheart.com has some allheart scrubs that are relatively cheap and soften up quickly. I like my scrubs soft and worn in, I don't know bout you all...

Okay so I am guilty of the "ridiculous" looking hearing steth comment. I should have clarified. If you actually have hearing problems, it might be worth it. There are some gunners out there who think fancy equipment will make them better doctors so they bought it despite no actual hearing problem. I personally dislike the steths they give you, but I have had a Littman cardio since I became an EMT back in the day, so I am a little spoiled.
Scrubs- they say no mismatching, must be solid color, and you can't wear your white coat with them. My class seemed to disregard this one a lot. I for one didn't wear a scrub set after the first couple weeks. I and many people, wore tee shirts/hoodies/etc with scrub bottoms and didn't get hasseled. People had college logo scrubs, sports logo scrubs etc. But yes, no one wore the fun printed nurse scrub tops. The goal is to fly below radar. I did not dress up for guest lecturers, only when they told us we needed to or if I was especially sick of scrubs. (almost never)
Ditto to that other person's comment about wearing normal clothes. Its the only way to monitor your weight gain. I for one was lucky enough to lose weight, but that is probably more due to the fact that I a) don't know how to cook and subsist off of lean cuisines and b) had friends who were crazy gym nuts and dragged me. Get a gym membership for sure!

Ditto to that other person's comment about wearing normal clothes. Its the only way to monitor your weight gain. I for one was lucky enough to lose weight, but that is probably more due to the fact that I a) don't know how to cook and subsist off of lean cuisines and b) had friends who were crazy gym nuts and dragged me. Get a gym membership for sure!

:laugh: Yeah, I'm thinking it could be easy for me to gain weight, as it's one of my default responses to stress. Thanks for the suggestions to get a gym membership; I think I'm going to need it for the stress-relief and to keep in some semblance of shape. What is a good gym around the area?

I'd like to find somewhere in KC to swim for exercise. Could any current students or people familiar with the city chime in on this?

I'd like to find somewhere in KC to swim for exercise. Could any current students or people familiar with the city chime in on this?

A lot of it will depend on where in KC you plan on living. There are a few options.

24 Hour Fitness has a few places around town and you can find them on their website. They are really nice places for a reasonable relative price.

Quiviria Sportsclub is another reasonable place (2 locations). Again, depends on your relative whereabouts.

Prairie Life Centers are probably the nicest place to work out in town, but you pay for it. I wouldn't recommend them unless you are made of money or really want to use the extras that they have (multiple pools, etc).

Others from KC will most likely know some I have failed to mention...

Whats the state of the gym at school? It will be cheap :)

I have a membership to 24 Fitness. I think I pay like $24/month and I have full use of everything and access to all classes. I like that gym a lot and they're all over. There are some Golds and a YMCA too. The school gym is alright, a lot of my friends lift there, but its small. It is free though, so I'm not knocking it.

Don't forget there is also a gym in CT that residents can use any time of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.