KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any waitlist movement yet??? Does anyone know??

Members don't see this ad.

ISUbus1doc said:
woah woah woah.....

lets not get ahead of ourselves here!
save the von Wildebeast and WWF stuff for the fall....

I will be content with just finding out how efficiently my body metabolizes EtOH....yeah!

Trust me! I am not studying--I'm already in the healthcare field and am a cardiac nurse--was just making conversation. :)

med-i-cal said:
I hate to say it, but no, that's not right. Von Willebrand's is a clotting factor in the clotting cascade. It binds to Factor IX and causes the aggregation of normal platelets when exposed to injured subendothelial tissues. No Von Willebrand = No Clotting.

Wow, I can't believe I remembered that...

you got it, for the most part. only thing wrong is that the von Willebrand factor binds to factor VIII not IX. Finished the paper though so i can forget about that disease for a while. I guess it is one less disease i have to study next year. i really need these next two weeks to move faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you guys are doing research or work in the field. My stupid research paper is on fish collections and pollution. ICK. Seriously, this class sucks. Our data is crap anyway. To write a quality paper on this you'd need at least one year's worth of data. Even then it would be pushing it. Oh well, I just gotta do it and move on. Focus Amber FOCUS. :laugh:

amber, what kind of dog is that? I am guessing this is your dog. it looks a lot like the puppy my parents just got, a weimeraner. I am hoping the puppy will be mine once it is trained.

kumark13 said:
amber, what kind of dog is that? I am guessing this is your dog. it looks a lot like the puppy my parents just got, a weimeraner. I am hoping the puppy will be mine once it is trained.

Weimeraners are awesome dogs, but mine is actually a German Shorthaired pointer. He's so smart and fun. But extremely hyper!!

Hey when do the immunzations and physical have to completed...just need to go get my titers done and curious when those papers have to be mailed by. Thanks a lot.

TSisk23 said:
Hey when do the immunzations and physical have to completed...just need to go get my titers done and curious when those papers have to be mailed by. Thanks a lot.

I was told they have to be done by orientation week.

So is anyone else pondering where they will sit the first day of lecture? I'm trying to decide... in my school I always sit in the front row bc: 1) I don't have the best eye sight in the world (thank god for bifocals), 2) I don't have the best hearing in the world (stupid headphones and ear infections) and 3) I hate looking around people's heads. However, I also have a great tendency to be late. Since this is medical school and not lazy undergrad where you can get away with anything AND there is the whole professional grade card thingy that could possibly mark us down for tardiness.... I'm thinking maybe sitting in the back where I can sneak in wouldn't be a wholly bad thing. Haha. But I think I'm gonna try to sneak up front anyway. When it comes to jobs or important classes I'm usually never ever late and always early.
I'm from a really small school and the thought of having so many students in class kind of freaks me out. But I'm ready for the change! Maybe I'm putting way too much thought into this. Or maybe I'm just procrastinating studying physics.. oh yeah that's gotta be it. ;)

ambernikel said:
So is anyone else pondering where they will sit the first day of lecture? I'm trying to decide... in my school I always sit in the front row bc: 1) I don't have the best eye sight in the world (thank god for bifocals), 2) I don't have the best hearing in the world (stupid headphones and ear infections) and 3) I hate looking around people's heads. However, I also have a great tendency to be late. Since this is medical school and not lazy undergrad where you can get away with anything AND there is the whole professional grade card thingy that could possibly mark us down for tardiness.... I'm thinking maybe sitting in the back where I can sneak in wouldn't be a wholly bad thing. Haha. But I think I'm gonna try to sneak up front anyway. When it comes to jobs or important classes I'm usually never ever late and always early.
I'm from a really small school and the thought of having so many students in class kind of freaks me out. But I'm ready for the change! Maybe I'm putting way too much thought into this. Or maybe I'm just procrastinating studying physics.. oh yeah that's gotta be it. ;)

I usually sat in row 1 for reasons your described. I guess I'm kinda nerdy like that too. But I bet there are a lot wanting 1st row seats. That is funny about being late, I am habitually running behind. That is one thing I'm gonna have to change.

I too come from a small university, sitting in a class with 200+ people will take some getting used to!

I thought one of the ambassadors at my interview said that the seating chart was assigned according to last names. I may be wrong though. Yeah, I'm definitely not a morning person (hence the reason I work the night shift). Gonna have to get used to those early mornings.....yawn....I'm so excited to meet everyone!!! :)

They use microphones for all the lectures, so hearing should not be a problem. (I'd be really worried about hearing things otherwise. :rolleyes: )

AmyO said:
I thought one of the ambassadors at my interview said that the seating chart was assigned according to last names. I may be wrong though. Yeah, I'm definitely not a morning person (hence the reason I work the night shift). Gonna have to get used to those early mornings.....yawn....I'm so excited to meet everyone!!! :)
I think that's mainly for testing days. On normal lecture days you should be able to sit anywhere you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm thinking I might have to get up super early that first day to lay claim on a seat up front. :sleep: But I'm thinking everyone else will be too! Nothing like putting 200 some type A personalities in one room together!! But I'm really excited to meet everyone, I think our class is going to be awesome. I'm a type A sure, and yeah a tad bit competitive. But I'm only competitive with myself, that's how I motivate myself. The more we help out eachother the better we'll do. But that's yet another reason why I chose a D.O. program over M.D. ;)

Don't worry. You will not have a difficult time getting your front-and-center seat.

Signed,
Back-of-the-room LovelyRita

hey....LovelyRita...

The back of the room is great...if you can stay awake!!!

Granted this isn't undergrad econ 101....but between the library and a couch, nothing puts me to sleep like a guy in the distance talking....

It is very much like watching golf on TV...mmm...nap....

LovelyRita said:
Don't worry. You will not have a difficult time getting your front-and-center seat.

Signed,
Back-of-the-room LovelyRita
:laugh: Awesome. This is what I love about us humans... variety! :) I just tend to goof off too much if not front and center. They kept telling me I had ADD as a child but I never listened... haha I was too busy tapping my pencil and doodling. Ok, now I'm really going to stop thinking about this and focus on studying.

I'll see you in the front row ambernikel. I get distracted too easily and like to people watch.

I don't mind sitting close, but there is a such thing as TOO close, at least for me. I stay towards the back. Just somewhere I can see and hear the teacher, and see everything on the board.

I'm just waiting for Ambernikel to say "oh snap" again. That cracked me up. Does anybody know what orientation week consists of......sure I figure there will be some talks, little info fairs, etc. Here's hoping it's not as corny as undergrad orientation week :)

AmyO said:
I'm just waiting for Ambernikel to say "oh snap" again. That cracked me up. Does anybody know what orientation week consists of......sure I figure there will be some talks, little info fairs, etc. Here's hoping it's not as corny as undergrad orientation week :)

Yea, I would like to know wht orientation week is going to be like too. Are we going to be busy all day every day. or do we only have things to do 2-3 of the days. It would be nice to know if this will be a week with plenty of time for move in and other odds and ends or if we should expect to be constantly busy. They arent filling us in on too much.

On another note I got my physical done today, and also gave blood for the varicella titer, and the hepatitis B antibody titer. Hopefully they both come back positive. I dont want to have to start the Hep B shot series again. Once I get that sent in the only requirements I have to fill are to send in my final transcripts, oh yea, and I guess the big requirement is to get through finals with passing grades and graduating.

I think day 1 is the major info day, and one of the days we are all required to help with a community service project. I'm not sure what is on the other day(s), then I think Thursday or Friday is White Coating.

med-i-cal said:
I think day 1 is the major info day, and one of the days we are all required to help with a community service project. I'm not sure what is on the other day(s), then I think Thursday or Friday is White Coating.
Ooh I hope we get free matching t-shirts. If we did I'd be like (this one's for Amy O) Oh snap we get to help others and coordinate at the same time. Who could ask for more?
Ok, now I am officially retiring the phrase "oh snap". But seriously, free t-shirts rock. Although, free white coats are even better. Too bad nothing about our education is actually free. hmm, I am way too easily entertained. You should see me at those fairs where they give away free frisbees and pens and mugs. Last time I had two bags full but I haven't had to buy a pen or a coffee mug in a really, really long time. ;)

http://kcumb.edu/students.asp

There's a pic of the matching t-shirts!! I should also get more than a free t-shirt and white coat for that fat check I'm writing them...

ps- I hope that paint isn't lead based :scared: haha

med-i-cal said:
http://kcumb.edu/students.asp

There's a pic of the matching t-shirts!! I should also get more than a free t-shirt and white coat for that fat check I'm writing them...

ps- I hope that paint isn't lead based :scared: haha

Awesome, I knew it. I'm sure we'll just be painting over the lead based paint.

Hey all, a quick congratulations on acceptance to KCUMB next year! I (and my girlfriend) am graduating from med school in KC this year. It has been a crazy ride. We have enjoyed KC and will miss it once we leave.

Incidentally, we are having a huge moving sale this weekend complete with most all of our med school books ie texts, review books, usmle study books, etc., scrubs, various medical school sundries, etc.

Please come by and check it out if you are interested in some cheap texts and review materials.

PM for more details!

Enjoy this summer and good luck next year.

I currently live in Woods of Walnut Creek off of Parvin Road. 7 miles north of river from school. Takes me <10 minutes to get to school. With traffiic only takes a few minutes more. Rent is $510 (this is a student deal and not offered to all...be sure and ask for STUDENT rates/not sure if they have gone up). Apartments are big, washer and dryer inside each apt. They usually have deals on washer/dryers. I haven't had any problems with management, they have been very responsive to the few things I have needed. Apartments are in a wooded area...nice. leasing office #816-459-8733. Hope this helps. Looking forward to meeting you all in August.

ambernikel said:
KCUMB 2010 Here I come. We are putting together our 1K to put down (yes we're poor). In the mean time just waiting for the slim chance at OSU but I've pretty much made my mind up and, at this point, KCUMB is my TOP CHOICE. The school just fits me and all the docs I work with that went there are awesome... So as my dad likes to sing to me "Kansas City here I come, come, come".

Current KCUMB students, any ideas on good (and inexpensive) housing areas besides downtown? I'm thinking Independence. What do you think about the daily commute?

Thanks!

do2b! said:
I currently live in Woods of Walnut Creek off of Parvin Road. 7 miles north of river from school. Takes me <10 minutes to get to school. With traffiic only takes a few minutes more. Rent is $510 (this is a student deal and not offered to all...be sure and ask for STUDENT rates/not sure if they have gone up). Apartments are big, washer and dryer inside each apt. They usually have deals on washer/dryers. I haven't had any problems with management, they have been very responsive to the few things I have needed. Apartments are in a wooded area...nice. leasing office #816-459-8733. Hope this helps. Looking forward to meeting you all in August.

Hey! I currently live at Bennington Ridge Apartments which is also off of Parvin Road and I-435. I can get to school in under 10 minutes also. Rent is $539 for a 1 bedroom with a fireplace and washers and dryers are included in the units. Apartments are large and they accept pets also. They usually have some kind of deal going on for KCUMB students. I suggest checking them out, every time i have any issue in my apartment they handle it within 48 hours. I suggest giving them a call 816-455-1551. Can't wait to get to know all of you. :) Ashley :p

Med-Ic-Al said:
Hey! I currently live at Bennington Ridge Apartments which is also off of Parvin Road and I-435. I can get to school in under 10 minutes also. Rent is $539 for a 1 bedroom with a fireplace and washers and dryers are included in the units. Apartments are large and they accept pets also. They usually have some kind of deal going on for KCUMB students. I suggest checking them out, every time i have any issue in my apartment they handle it within 48 hours. I suggest giving them a call 816-455-1551. Can't wait to get to know all of you. :) Ashley :p
Hahaa, nice name ;)

I'm going to live in the Woods of Walnut Creek! It's nice and woodsy and the place is gorgeous. They were very pet-friendly and student-friendly. The staff was also very helpful and they still are offerring deals. Smaller one bedroom - $499 larger one bedroom w/ fireplace $599 and I don't remember what the 2-bedroom was going for.

AmyO said:
I'm going to live in the Woods of Walnut Creek! It's nice and woodsy and the place is gorgeous. They were very pet-friendly and student-friendly. The staff was also very helpful and they still are offerring deals. Smaller one bedroom - $499 larger one bedroom w/ fireplace $599 and I don't remember what the 2-bedroom was going for.

Does this place happen to have 3 bedroom apartments?

Major final today, WOOO!!

It's all down hill after this, which is good since the fatigue-induced deliria is starting to set in...

med-i-cal said:
Major final today, WOOO!!

It's all down hill after this, which is good since the fatigue-induced deliria is starting to set in...

Yes...I believe I hit that point last night too. :eek:

Haha, I have no doubt, I think we all did.

Darn May...

med-i-cal said:
Haha, I have no doubt, I think we all did.

Darn May...

Repro is scaring me...I hope I can write something down and get some partial points. :scared:

BLAH

Can't........Study.............ANYMORE....................

:laugh: +pissed+(Me)

:clap: This is me tomorrow around noon. :D

med-i-cal said:
BLAH

Can't........Study.............ANYMORE....................

:laugh: +pissed+(Me)

kumark13 said:
Does this place happen to have 3 bedroom apartments?

I don't think so. I think the largest they have are 2 bedroom apts.

anyone have trouble filling out step 5 of the the fafsa? None of the searches I'm typing in are working for kcumb.

Nevermind.

Umm....what is step 5 again?

med-i-cal said:
Umm....what is step 5 again?

Step 5 was where we decided which schools we wanted to send fafsa info to.

Soo, after completing the fafsa what do we do now?

Did you need the school code for that step?

After the FAFSA is done, make sure all of your loan requests are submitted to KCUMB. If that is already done, you may want to call fin aid to confirm everything is in order. When that's done, I think it's just a matter of waiting for your award letter.

Yeah, I called KCUMB and got the school code.

med-i-cal, what do you mean make sure all the loan requests are sent in? Are there forms I need to fill out somewhere?

Also, what do you do if your on a waitlist for another school? Make sure all the FA stuff is submitted to that school as well?

I'M DONE!!!! WOOHOO!! Goodbye undergrad!! :clap:

nrddct said:
Yeah, I called KCUMB and got the school code.

med-i-cal, what do you mean make sure all the loan requests are sent in? Are there forms I need to fill out somewhere?

Also, what do you do if your on a waitlist for another school? Make sure all the FA stuff is submitted to that school as well?
I meant the paperwork for the Stafford and Gradplus loans. I think we are supposed to submit them to KCUMB. If you are on another wait list, it is quite alright to put their school code in as well. The other school would probably just put it in your file to be activated if you get pulled off the waitlist. If you are on the waitlist and not sure about KCUMB, I don't know if you'll submit all of the loan stuff yet, or just do the FAFSA. That'd be a good question for them. :p

Congrats ambernikel!! Enjoy the summer!

hi everyone, now that graduation is over i can finally focus on med school

i'm interviewing with the NHSC tomorrow...any last minute advice?

also, i'm moving into CT on june 15...anyone else moving in during the summer?

congrats to everyone, can't wait to start

:)

ambernikel said:
I'M DONE!!!! WOOHOO!! Goodbye undergrad!! :clap:

Feels great, doesn't it?!

Did anyone else get that email that our matricualtion packets will be sent soon?

yeah, I got a email yesterday.

is anyone working with relocation central for apartment hunting? i would go to CT but i'm taking my dog with me. i can't make it out there until june to check out KC..i'm not sure if i'm giving myself enough time to get everything prepared?

soOosan said:
is anyone working with relocation central for apartment hunting? i would go to CT but i'm taking my dog with me. i can't make it out there until june to check out KC..i'm not sure if i'm giving myself enough time to get everything prepared?
I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but you can have pets at CT. Lots of the students here have pets in fact. Unless you just need more room for your dog, that would make sense.

Good Luck!