KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Khia18 said:
Hey all. So doing some apartment hunting, have come up with some decent stuff. At first, was just looking for a 1 br, but since it would be cheaper and probably more interesting with a roomie, I'm looking. I did find a couple houses in the westport area too. I've been told that Plaza/Westport area is a really good spot to live, but I'm up for anything. So anyone interested, m/f/g/s/blue/whatever, let me know. Just don't be a psycho. Please. :D

I might be interested. PM me with the details. Also I promise I'm not a psycho.

Members don't see this ad.

nrddct said:
I just defended for my masters degree today!!

Khia, how big are the houses you looked at, and are they relatively new? Also do most of them have garages?

Houses usually 3-4 bedrooms... some with garages, some without. Haven't found too much house-wise online... hoping to call around and find more. 2 BR apts definitely way better deal than 1 BRs. I definitely want to live in the Plaza/Westport area.

Anyone have any info on houses? Once again, continuing the potential roommate(s) search. m/f/g/s/ whatever... normal is all I ask ;)

For your random boredom and/or potential roommate decisions, here's my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/leah12682

Khia, I"m on the edge between living at CT or renting a house. The dealbreaker with CT is that it doesn't have covered or garage parking. HOw much do you think renting a house would be? If it comes out to around $500 then that would definately be doable for me. I would be interested in working something out if there are enough people. BTW Khia is a cool name, never heard of it before. My current roomate is a girl so no worries. Also has anyone else recieved an email about housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Khia! I might also be interested in sharing a 2 bd apt or house. If ya have any details, let me know.....oh yeah....i'm not psycho either.....hahaha

Is anyone going to be in KC this summer that would want to babysit full time or part time until school starts? Maybe a spouse who would be interested? I have a two year old and my current babysitter is the wife of a second year who is doing rotations in Indiana. They are leaving May 13 and I have classes all summer.

terjolan said:
Is anyone going to be in KC this summer that would want to babysit full time or part time until school starts? Maybe a spouse who would be interested? I have a two year old and my current babysitter is the wife of a second year who is doing rotations in Indiana. They are leaving May 13 and I have classes all summer.

Just out of curiosity (I live in Indiana) where is he doing his rotations at, is it in Indianapolis by chance?

I don't know at this point when I am actually going to be in KC--waiting for my house to sell, so I don't know that I could help you out.

My house might not even sell before school starts--who knows. Is there anyone open to the idea of having a short term roommate in case this happens?

terjolan said:

I might be in kc all summer. trying to decide what to do about a job. What times would you need a babysitter? what is the pay? send me a PM to let me know more if you dont want to put it on here.

anyone lookin for a roomie for a 2 bedroom place at ct? lemme know or pm me.

Raven Feather said:
Just out of curiosity (I live in Indiana) where is he doing his rotations at, is it in Indianapolis by chance?

I don't know at this point when I am actually going to be in KC--waiting for my house to sell, so I don't know that I could help you out.

My house might not even sell before school starts--who knows. Is there anyone open to the idea of having a short term roommate in case this happens?

He is doing his rotations in Indianapolis I think. Good luck selling your house.

bump....

Also,

Has anyone heard when excatly is the White Coat? They gave out a tenative schedule in the mail, but their website is seriously lagging.

ISUbus1doc said:
bump....

Also,

Has anyone heard when excatly is the White Coat? They gave out a tenative schedule in the mail, but their website is seriously lagging.

the white coat is on the 10th of august. Yeah i wish they would send us our scheudle for next year!

I would like to know the booklist.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello all i will be joining y'all in August :)
i was wondering the same things about the books and the academic calendar...or financial aid...
i was also wondering if anyone can suggest the safe areas of KC? i'm looking for an apt right now..
i look forward to meeting you guys in august :oops:

soOosan said:
i was wondering the same things about the books and the academic calendar...or financial aid...
i was also wondering if anyone can suggest the safe areas of KC? i'm looking for an apt right now..

Welcome to the class!!

yeah....welcome!!

I don't know about the rest of you...if you are still in undergrad like I am....but I have got the worst case of senioritis. I just want to be rid of this undergrad work crap, and sleep in the grass for 3 months until classes start in August.

P.S. SoOosan....it sort of depends on your definition of "safe" ....frankly, I thought Century Towers with the cop shop in the basement was pretty safe....of course there is some disagreement here about that....

NRDDCT and all other 2010 uhs..i mean kcumb members. dont buy your books until you are able to talk to the 2009 class to see which books you really need. unless you have money to burn, b/c some of the "required" books are not necessary to own and the books aren't cheap. just my advice, take it or leave it. i understand wanting to be fully prepared when school starts, but if you can hold off buying books i would.

ISUbus1doc said:
yeah....welcome!!

I don't know about the rest of you...if you are still in undergrad like I am....but I have got the worst case of senioritis. I just want to be rid of this undergrad work crap, and sleep in the grass for 3 months until classes start in August.

P.S. SoOosan....it sort of depends on your definition of "safe" ....frankly, I thought Century Towers with the cop shop in the basement was pretty safe....of course there is some disagreement here about that....
I live in CT and haven't had an issue yet. There have been many times I've walked home by myself late at night. Granted, I am a guy, but I've never felt unsafe...

soOosan said:

Welcome & congrats soOosan!
I got my financial aid stuff in the mail yesterday. Did everyone else? I must say the tuition is higher than I had expected (>36,000) hmmm.... so much debt, so much debt.

ambernikel said:
Welcome & congrats soOosan!
I got my financial aid stuff in the mail yesterday. Did everyone else? I must say the tuition is higher than I had expected (>36,000) hmmm.... so much debt, so much debt.

Yes, the price they gave for the tuition conflicts what is stated on the AACOM website's "Official Information for the entering class of 2006" which listed it as 35 something. Ouch! I will have to admit, I am a bit depressed. :(

Anyway, does anyone know if for the GradPlus loan (or whatever it is called) that was listed in the packet, if a parent had to have already had a signature loan first--or can we just apply for it regardless?

Raven Feather said:
Yes, the price they gave for the tuition conflicts what is stated on the AACOM website's "Official Information for the entering class of 2006" which listed it as 35 something. Ouch! I will have to admit, I am a bit depressed. :(

Anyway, does anyone know if for the GradPlus loan (or whatever it is called) that was listed in the packet, if a parent had to have already had a signature loan first--or can we just apply for it regardless?

I was also wondering about that. I'm hoping not, since it is on our own credit and signature. Let me know if you find out!

Well, here is what I found out by surfing the net for the GradPlus Loan:

Eligibility

To qualify for a Federal Grad PLUS Loan, you must:

Be enrolled in a graduate studies program at least half time at a U.S. college, university or other eligible school
Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form can be accessed at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Use all of the Stafford Loan monies for which you are eligible. This Stafford Loan amount is provided by your school, typically through your Award Letter.
Have a satisfactory credit history. Eligibility is primarily determined by a credit check. If you are unsure about your credit standing, you can quickly determine your Grad PLUS eligibility by submitting a Student Capital Corporation Grad PLUS Preapproval Form. Student Capital Corporation is pleased to provide assistance to students who may experience difficulties qualifying for the Grad PLUS Loan.

This was from the Student Capital Corporation web site--a lender.

One thing that worried me about the GradPlus loan was that there was no grace period....you have to start making payments immediately upon graduation. Yikes! :eek:

AmyO said:
One thing that worried me about the GradPlus loan was that there was no grace period....you have to start making payments immediately upon graduation. Yikes! :eek:

Deferments are good for that. I know some doctors that deferred loans until they were done with residency...it just adds more interest over those years. Good luck with the loans!

I for one know that I'll be deferring for as long as possible. Most can do it through residency, the deal breaker is whether you are married or not at that time. If you are married, it depends alot on how much your spouse makes.

Don't worry about that big scary tuition price, it'll be worth it...

Amy, I read on a website (which may depend on the lender) that you are supposed to start repaying 60 days after you graduate.

I went to Sallie Mae and here is more info on it for those interested:

Finance your graduate degree with a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

The Graduate PLUS Loan is an affordable, accessible way to cover the entire cost of your graduate school education. You can get a Graduate PLUS Loan even if you have no credit history.

Am I eligible for a Graduate PLUS Loan?

US citizen or non-citizen permanent resident
Attending school at least half-time
Credit-ready. No credit is ok

How much can I borrow?
With Sallie Mae's Graduate PLUS Loan, there are no annual or aggregate loan limits. You may borrow up to the cost of attendance less any other financial aid received, as certified by your school.

What are the Rates and Fees?

Federal PLUS Loans disbursed beginning July 1, 2006 carry a fixed interest rate of 8.5%. However when you borrow from Sallie Mae Education Trust, you will receive an interest rate that may go as low as 7% with loan balance credits as high as 2.5%.
A 3% federal origination fee and a guarantee fee of up to 1% of the loan amount, deducted from each loan disbursement. Many guarantors that work with Sallie Mae Education Trust waive all or a portion of the guarantee fee (previously called “guarantee fee or insurance fee”).
What are the benefits of Sallie Mae's Graduate PLUS Loan?
The Graduate PLUS Loan from Sallie Mae Education Trust features:

Easy qualification—no income or collateral requirements
Fast and easy online application and account management
With a .25 percentage point interest rate reduction at disbursement, your interest rate is guaranteed to never exceed 8.25%
No payments while you are in school
Align repayment of your Graduate PLUS loans with your Stafford loans
A wide range of repayment plans
Interest may be tax deductible
Savings in school and throughout repayment
Interest rate reductions that start when you are in school and last throughout repayment.
A 0.25 percentage point interest rate reduction that starts at first disbursement.
A 0.75 percentage point interest rate reduction that starts when you begin repaying your Graduate PLUS loan.*
A 0.50 percentage point interest rate reduction that starts when you make your payments through automatic debit.*
Loan credits that are earned early in repayment to help you save even more.
A 1% loan credit when you make your first 12 payments by the due dates as initially scheduled.*
A 1.5% loan credit after you make your first 36 payments by the due dates as initially scheduled.*
A $500 credit on closing costs on a new loan from Sallie Mae Home LoansSM.

I'm so confused. What's everybody else doing, Graduate Plus. I hate financial aid. I don't understand what the difference is between graduate plus and non-government private loans, besides where they come from obviously.

ihateresearch said:
I'm so confused. What's everybody else doing, Graduate Plus. I hate financial aid. I don't understand what the difference is between graduate plus and non-government private loans, besides where they come from obviously.

I marked that I am doing graduate plus on the application. I am also a little confused and I'm wondering if we couldn't get better interest rates on the private loans, especially if we do have good credit. But I don't know. I figure that I'll take the grad plus this year and do some more research for next year. I'm actually hoping to take out extra loans (for living) this first year only so hopefully they won't raise the tuition much next year. I guess we'll see!

ambernikel said:
I marked that I am doing graduate plus on the application. I am also a little confused and I'm wondering if we couldn't get better interest rates on the private loans, especially if we do have good credit. But I don't know. I figure that I'll take the grad plus this year and do some more research for next year. I'm actually hoping to take out extra loans (for living) this first year only so hopefully they won't raise the tuition much next year. I guess we'll see!

I was also going to mark the gradplus option. Marking that on this form does not lock you into it i would assume. they will make us offers as to what they are willing to give us. you can always decline what they offer and go with something better if you have found it. plus cant private student loans be taken out at any time, regardless of what you have gotten through the school? that is how I think it works. but i am no financial aid expert.

The big difference with the Grad+ loans is that the interest rates are lower (usually), but they are non-variable. The interest on private loans can shift with the wind depending on Prime, LIBOR, etc. Personally I am getting the Grad+ loan because I think it'll be much easier to deal with, and they can be consolidated with other federal loans. It it also not based on credit scores, which I think is nice. One more thing about Grad+, it is very unlikely that you will need a co-signer. This is important because IF something did happen to you, there would be no co-signer involved. If you are married, the loan will still fall on your estate, but if you are single, no one else should be responsible for the loans.

Probably the best way to do it would be to apply for Stafford Sub., Stafford Unsub., and Grad+, all for the MAX amount (~55k total). This way when they give you your fin. aide award sheet it will show that you are able to borrow the max allowable, but you don't have to take the whole amount. You can cross out the amount on the award letter and write a new amount (that is lower than the original), but this can't be done the other way around (write in an amount higher than what is on the award sheet). This is why it is easer to apply for the max to begin with, as you may never know what kind of aide you'll need until the time gets closer.

I can try to answer some questions, I've dealing with fin aide since freshman year of undergrad through graduate school. Also, if nothing else, call up KCUMB as I'm sure they can help even more... :thumbup:

kumark13 said:
I was also going to mark the gradplus option. Marking that on this form does not lock you into it i would assume. they will make us offers as to what they are willing to give us. you can always decline what they offer and go with something better if you have found it. plus cant private student loans be taken out at any time, regardless of what you have gotten through the school? that is how I think it works. but i am no financial aid expert.

Yes, you can take out private loans at any time, but there is a catch. The school will only allow you a max of ~55k, so if you meet that with the Stafford's and Grad+, then the school will deny you from getting any private loans (most banks verify financial need through the school). Some banks offer loans that don't need school verification, but be weary of those (read ALL of the fine print).

If you are meaning only to get a very minimal amount now, and supplementing that with private loans later, then yes, you can do that too. I would do this as little as possible since they pull your credit report every time you apply (and if you have a credit card that starts to rise, you may get denied because of high revolving credit).

Just some things to consider...

med-i-cal said:
Yes, you can take out private loans at any time, but there is a catch. The school will only allow you a max of ~55k, so if you meet that with the Stafford's and Grad+, then the school will deny you from getting any private loans (most banks verify financial need through the school). Some banks offer loans that don't need school verification, but be weary of those (read ALL of the fine print).

If you are meaning only to get a very minimal amount now, and supplementing that with private loans later, then yes, you can do that too. I would do this as little as possible since they pull your credit report every time you apply (and if you have a credit card that starts to rise, you may get denied because of high revolving credit).

Just some things to consider...

For those who were trying to decide if you need to take out the maximum, pay attention to the total amount. Living expenses are figured for the 9 months you are in class. Therefore, if you are not planning to work during the summer, don't forget to figure those expenses into the total amount you are loaned.

HIANMI said:
For those who were trying to decide if you need to take out the maximum, pay attention to the total amount. Living expenses are figured for the 9 months you are in class. Therefore, if you are not planning to work during the summer, don't forget to figure those expenses into the total amount you are loaned.
A very good point, figure summer expenses into your school-year budget, because you can not take out extra loan money for the summer months beyond the ~55k. In other words, as HIANMI was referring to, KCUMB sees ~55k as a 9 month supply of money, anything beyond that and you are on your own. So figure 12 months of living into a 9 month budget :(

med-i-cal said:
A very good point, figure summer expenses into your school-year budget, because you can not take out extra loan money for the summer months beyond the ~55k. In other words, as HIANMI was referring to, KCUMB sees ~55k as a 9 month supply of money, anything beyond that and you are on your own. So figure 12 months of living into a 9 month budget :(

From your experience, is that really stretching it? Or easily doable if you live modestly? I don't want to be living on a shoestring budget which will only add to the stress of school.

It really just depends, I think they said they figure 9 months at $1,700 per month. After you take 12 months of bills out, you should be able to approx. left over money.

It is doable, you just won't be living like a Rock Star or anything...

So my boyfriend is moving to KC with me and needs a roommate. Anyone interested or boyfriends who are interested let me know.

I have to ask the MSIIIs that posted here, just how structured this year is? Do you have to do alot of scut work?

Also, how do we get stars beside our thread?

Well, after many years of undergraduatehood--I have officially completed my last day in college! HOORAY. It was the first time ever that I requested that I take a final earlier than scheduled. I took them yesterday, now I'm an outtie!

Raven Feather said:
Well, after many years of undergraduatehood--I have officially completed my last day in college! HOORAY. It was the first time ever that I requested that I take a final earlier than scheduled. I took them yesterday, now I'm an outtie!

OH snap, I'm like crazy jealous. I'm so jealous that I said "oh snap" which I've never actually said before. lol :laugh:
I still have another 2 weeks! Monday the 15th is my final. I don't have to take the physics last test or final. I've still got a huge research paper on fish biodiversity in our local creeks to write, a presentation to give which I have to put together from an entire group of people, two physics tests and two aquatic tests. :( It does not make me smile. But none of it is difficult, just time consuming. :rolleyes:
Congratulations on being done and being free!! I'm two weeks behind you!! :)

ambernikel said:
OH snap, I'm like crazy jealous. I'm so jealous that I said "oh snap" which I've never actually said before. lol :laugh:
I still have another 2 weeks! Monday the 15th is my final. I don't have to take the physics last test or final. I've still got a huge research paper on fish biodiversity in our local creeks to write, a presentation to give which I have to put together from an entire group of people, two physics tests and two aquatic tests. :( It does not make me smile. But none of it is difficult, just time consuming. :rolleyes:
Congratulations on being done and being free!! I'm two weeks behind you!! :)

I finish on Friday, May 12. I am going to be really happy when these finals are over!

I will be done on may 18th. only two weeks away. but so much to do before then. I have a huge senior research paper on von Willebrand Disease due next tuesday. A big western civ paper due next thursday. Then 4 finals the following week. an organic chem lab final, western civ final, evolutionary biology final, and then my most important biochemistry. these next two weeks will be hard but when they are done i will be a happy man.

kumark13 said:
I will be done on may 18th. only two weeks away. but so much to do before then. I have a huge senior research paper on von Willebrand Disease due next tuesday. A big western civ paper due next thursday. Then 4 finals the following week. an organic chem lab final, western civ final, evolutionary biology final, and then my most important biochemistry. these next two weeks will be hard but when they are done i will be a happy man.

I feel for you (and everyone else). Just think, in a few more weeks you will be just as relaxed as me--done with school! Van Willebrand--isn't that the disease where there is extra fibers in the heart--can lead to dysrhythmias and the treatment is ablation? Tell me my memory serves me right!! What is your Western Civ. paper on? I just finished a class like that.

Raven Feather said:
I feel for you (and everyone else). Just think, in a few more weeks you will be just as relaxed as me--done with school! Van Willebrand--isn't that the disease where there is extra fibers in the heart--can lead to dysrhythmias and the treatment is ablation? Tell me my memory serves me right!! What is your Western Civ. paper on? I just finished a class like that.
I hate to say it, but no, that's not right. Von Willebrand's is a clotting factor in the clotting cascade. It binds to Factor IX and causes the aggregation of normal platelets when exposed to injured subendothelial tissues. No Von Willebrand = No Clotting.

Wow, I can't believe I remembered that...

med-i-cal said:
I hate to say it, but no, that's not right. Von Willebrand's is a clotting factor in the clotting cascade. It binds to Factor IX and causes the aggregation of normal platelets when exposed to injured subendothelial tissues. No Von Willebrand = No Clotting.

Wow, I can't believe I remembered that...

Dang it! KCUMB has been teaching you!! What am I mixing the name with WPW? Just when I thought I was having a medical momment, I get busted out on the internet! :laugh:

Okay, I just looked up the whole name, it is Wolffe-Parkinson-White syndrome (WPW) and guess the W in Von Willebrand made me go off that tangent. :D

WPW sounds right, I didn't know they had extra fibers though? I don't know much about it really, after all, med school doesn't start until August! :hardy:

med-i-cal said:
WPW sounds right, I didn't know they had extra fibers though? I don't know much about it really, after all, med school doesn't start until August! :hardy:

That is right, you deferred, right? About WPW, from what I recall is that there are extra muscle fibers in the heart that causes/disrupts firing of the heart, which can lead to lethal dysrhythmias like ventricular fibrillation. <---bet you don't trust what I'm telling you now! :smuggrin:

Anyway, you seem to have a leg up already in med knowledge!

Haha, I would trust you that v-fib is a lethal dysrhythmia. ;)

But no, I didn't defer, just finishing graduate work first. Any medical knowledge is purely accidental...

woah woah woah.....

lets not get ahead of ourselves here!
save the von Wildebeast and WWF stuff for the fall....

I will be content with just finding out how efficiently my body metabolizes EtOH....yeah!

ISUbus1doc said:
woah woah woah.....

lets not get ahead of ourselves here!
save the von Wildebeast and WWF stuff for the fall....

I will be content with just finding out how efficiently my body metabolizes EtOH....yeah!

me too, 3 more months of freedom. reading that just gave me a headache. Being out of school a year is going to be hard on me I think.