KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
soOosan said:
is anyone working with relocation central for apartment hunting? i would go to CT but i'm taking my dog with me. i can't make it out there until june to check out KC..i'm not sure if i'm giving myself enough time to get everything prepared?

yeah i haven't really started looking for a place to live.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm moving into CT Aug 1st, I didn't know there's any rooms available before that.... Do you guys think moving in Aug 1st is too last minute?

JJcandy said:
I'm moving into CT Aug 1st, I didn't know there's any rooms available before that.... Do you guys think moving in Aug 1st is too last minute?
Normally, you can't move in until the 1st. Some people do move in before that. It depends on which room you're moving into. If you tell them you need to move in early, and a tenet is moving out early, you may be able to get their room. It is sort of a chance thing, but it's still possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
med-i-cal said:
I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but you can have pets at CT. Lots of the students here have pets in fact. Unless you just need more room for your dog, that would make sense.

Good Luck!

yeah i didn't know that but i think i kinda wanna live a little bit away from school :)

criagslist anyone? I found some houses for rent around the plaza a few days ago. Sorry I didn't save the thread.

I worked with Michelle Sparks from Relocation Central. She was very helpful. I gave her some details on what I was looking for and she sent me a list of apartments. I told her which ones I wanted to visit and she set up the appointments for me. I have a puppy and I was able to limit my search to only places that are pet-friendly.

JJcandy said:

lol, i'm moving in on the 5th of august. now THAT'S last minute. i'm working up until the 4th of august, and i have a 11 hour drive (i live in ohio) so i'll probly leave on friday night and stay at a hotel and get to kc in the early morning.

I AM DONE!!!!! finally finished my last final on thursday. Yesterday I had my graduation from the Biology department and had about 5 people I was graduating with going to school with us. Today is the all school graduation. Glad to finally be done and moving on. Now begins my summer of relaxation!

kumark13 said:
I AM DONE!!!!! finally finished my last final on thursday. Yesterday I had my graduation from the Biology department and had about 5 people I was graduating with going to school with us. Today is the all school graduation. Glad to finally be done and moving on. Now begins my summer of relaxation!
Congrats! Enjoy it while it lasts...

docmd2010 said:
lol, i'm moving in on the 5th of august. now THAT'S last minute. i'm working up until the 4th of august, and i have a 11 hour drive (i live in ohio) so i'll probly leave on friday night and stay at a hotel and get to kc in the early morning.

I think I'd have a heart attack.

Does anyone know what the first main section after FoM is?

med-i-cal said:
Does anyone know what the first main section after FoM is?

i think it's musculoskeletal, correct me anyone if i'm wrong.

docmd2010 said:
i think it's musculoskeletal, correct me anyone if i'm wrong.
How did you find out? I couldn't find it posted anywhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
med-i-cal said:
How did you find out? I couldn't find it posted anywhere...

go to kcumb.edu click on students then information about academics and then academic calendar

drledal said:
go to kcumb.edu click on students then information about academics and then academic calendar
From what I hear, they are rearranging the curriculum for you guys. FOM, Musculo, cardio-resp (they are combining them and you'll have half before christmas and half after), then i think it's renal and then GI or GI then renal. You all will love it here!

Oh, here at CT...we have puppy playtime at 10pm every night. The dog's all love it, just thought you might be interested.

Good luck with next year, and if you have any questions...give a hollar!

Kelly Gabel
MS 2.90 :p KCUMB-COM
Class of 2008

hey, does any one know if second year students have classes on labor day?

kumark13 said:
hey, does any one know if second year students have classes on labor day?

i doubt it, but you can find that on the academic calendar too on the website. By the way I called CT yesterday and they have no 1 bedrooms left and 2 two bedrooms. I was kind of thinking I wanted to live there, but I don't really have a roommate yet and don't know what to do about it since i'm on a waitlist in omaha where i live. I'm stressed.

ihateresearch said:
i doubt it, but you can find that on the academic calendar too on the website. By the way I called CT yesterday and they have no 1 bedrooms left and 2 two bedrooms. I was kind of thinking I wanted to live there, but I don't really have a roommate yet and don't know what to do about it since i'm on a waitlist in omaha where i live. I'm stressed.

yeah..i'm waitlisted in texas where i live..i'm not taking any chances though so my mentality is that i'm going to KC

soOosan said:
yeah..i'm waitlisted in texas where i live..i'm not taking any chances though so my mentality is that i'm going to KC

Did you find a place to live and everything?

soOosan said:

soOosan, I'm in the exact same situation right now. Committing to KC but still hoping for movement on the waitlist.

nrddct said:
soOosan, I'm in the exact same situation right now. Committing to KC but still hoping for movement on the waitlist.
Wow guys, way to make KCUMB sound like a consolation prize...

med-i-cal said:

oops not trying to make KCUMB sound like sloppy seconds..but it would be nice to be in my home state. i was waitlisted last year and there wasn't very much movement so i am very grateful that i have been accepted to KCUMB. i am very excited to go to KCUMB! :) i have a few prospective apartments that i want to check out but nothing permanent yet.

med-i-cal said:

Sorry I wasn't meaning that, I want to stay closer to home. I am also very excited about KCUMB, but it means uprooting my boyfriend and I, which I would rather not do, but I would be more than happy to go there.

Does anyone know if we choose which ECE's we do or if we do them all and if not how many? I think I read about this somewhere at some point but I can't remember. I'm posting the list of our curriculum and stuff... I wonder if we do choose whether or not we'll have to decide on that during orientation week. Hmm.... decisions decisions...

MS I - First Year Curriculum
MED 101 Foundations of Medicine Section - 6 weeks
MED 102 Musculoskeletal Section - 6 weeks
MED 103 Skin, Blood and Lymph Section - 6 weeks
MED 104 Respiratory Section - 6 weeks
MED 105 Cardiovascular Section - 6 weeks
MED 106 Gastrointestinal Section - 5 weeks
BLS Basic Life Support

Early Clinical Experiences
Early Clinical Experiences (ECE) Courses are designed to provide the student with exposure to clinical experiences early in the medical education sequence.

Offerings for First Year Students FMED 120 Early Clinical Experiences/Family Medicine
IMED 120 Early Clinical Experiences/Internal Medicine
SURG 120 Early Clinical Experiences/Surgery
OBGY 120 Early Clinical Experiences/OBGYN
PEDS 120 Early Clinical Experiences/ Pediatrics
FMED 121 Early Clinical Experiences/Emergency Medicine
FMED 122 Early Clinical Experiences/Preventive/ Community Medicine
OPP 120 Early Clinical Experiences/Osteopathic Manipulation
PATH 120 Early Clinical Experiences/General Pathology
PATH 121 Early Clinical Experiences/Forensic Pathology
PATH 122 Early Clinical Experiences/Transfusion Medicine

ambernikel said:
Does anyone know if we choose which ECE's we do or if we do them all and if not how many? I think I read about this somewhere at some point but I can't remember. I'm posting the list of our curriculum and stuff... I wonder if we do choose whether or not we'll have to decide on that during orientation week. Hmm.... decisions decisions...

BLS Basic Life Support

Early Clinical Experiences (ECE) Courses are designed to provide the student with exposure to clinical experiences early in the medical education sequence.

Offerings for First Year Students FMED 120 Early Clinical Experiences/Family Medicine

That is a good question. I think I remember that we have to choose. 2...I think? The ones I think I'm interested in are forensic path, EM, and transfusion. How 'bout you?

Anyone out there that can tell us what to expect the week of orientation--like M-F 8-4 etc?

I had my interview yesterday for that scholarship. I should know in a week. Hope I get it. I dunno though, it is a service scholarship and they did mention my moving out of state for med school...

ambernikel said:

BLS Basic Life Support

I would have to say Surgery/EM are the two I would pick.

Goodluck on getting the scholarship!

good luck with the scholarship :)
i asked the same question about orientation and they only mentioned that it was Mon - Thurs with the White Coat Ceremony on Thursday and an all-school picnic on Wed. They said we have to dress professionally too.

soOosan said:
good luck with the scholarship :)
i asked the same question about orientation and they only mentioned that it was Mon - Thurs with the White Coat Ceremony on Thursday and an all-school picnic on Wed. They said we have to dress professionally too.

great, guess i have to go shopping. i HATE dressing up.

ihateresearch said:
great, guess i have to go shopping. i HATE dressing up.

For those that have not heard, we do not have skin, blood, and lymph in our first year. It has been changed. We will have renal instead (but I'm not sure of the exact order of everything). I'm interested in forensic med and EM. On the note of dressing up, I finally got used to it, but it will be hard considering how hot it's going to be at that time of the year. I also thought I heard we have to be there at 7am for the first day of orientation or one of the days that week. :sleep:

HIANMI said:
For those that have not heard, we do not have skin, blood, and lymph in our first year. It has been changed. We will have renal instead (but I'm not sure of the exact order of everything). I'm interested in forensic med and EM. On the note of dressing up, I finally got used to it, but it will be hard considering how hot it's going to be at that time of the year. I also thought I heard we have to be there at 7am for the first day of orientation or one of the days that week. :sleep:
I remember hearing 7am too. I guess we better get used to it though, since most classes start at 8am normally. I am NOT a morning person, this will be a challenge...

med-i-cal said:
I remember hearing 7am too. I guess we better get used to it though, since most classes start at 8am normally. I am NOT a morning person, this will be a challenge...

Where do all of you keep "happening to hear" all of this information?

kumark13 said:
Where do all of you keep "happening to hear" all of this information?

friends? I talked to my boyfriend's friend who goes there about the school the other day, but I had had a few too many to remember anything he said. Whoops!

ihateresearch said:
friends? I talked to my boyfriend's friend who goes there about the school the other day, but I had had a few too many to remember anything he said. Whoops!

orientation is gonna be a buncha bs in my opinion- listen to a buncha people tell us about med school and stuff we already know. 7 a.m. is a bit ridiculous in my opinion, but i guess we'll have to get used to it, our lives revolve around this kind of stuff i guess. btw i called up ruth in admissions today and she said that they are going to send the matriculation packets around the 5th of june, so we should have stuff in two weeks. If i remember correclty, didn't they say we would get all this stuff in may? Guess they're just running behind on stuff, i mean jeez we have like 250 peeps in our class, (largest med school class in missouri right?) :D

Yeah...I remember some people said they got e-mails, but I didn't get an e-mail about matriculation packets. Has anybody got their financial aid award?? I hope they haven't forgotten about me :( Dang, I heard renal was hard too.

Okay guys, I will try to answer some of your questions and concerns. Im a third year at KCUMB. First of all..its a GREAT education, I dont think I could have gotten a better one anywhere.
As far as ECE...that is a one time afternoon clinical shadowing experience. They pick it for you and it could be anything from Family Med, IM, surgery etc.
Electives are offered during your first and second year, things like Forensic path etc...HOWEVER...you are required to complete TWO electives the summer after your 2nd year and anything you take in year one will NOT count for credit. So if you really want credit for Forensics, etc, then wait and take it in year 2.
Dressing up, not bad. Get used to it, you are all future doctors. The good news: you can wear scrubs to school and most people do. There is a club on campus who will sell scrubs at the beginning of the year for really cheap, so dont worry.
THe class of 2009 has 250 people in it as well. With that many people, things take time. My best advise for all of you is to stay focused, be PATIENT, and try not to dwell on the very few negatives.
I can answer ANY questions you have so feel free to respond. I also have books to sell, so let me know if interested or if you want to know what you'll need.

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention.
Orientation isnt bad..its really only monday and tuesday. Yeah, you listen to a few higher-ups welcome you but its nice. You get your id's, pictures etc.
Wed will be a morning community service project which is fun and that night is usually a base ball game which is also cool. Thursday is white coat ceremony which will make you so proud! and friday is off.
hope this helps!

I got an email from my "Big Sis" last night! I had a few questions and she has already emailed me back this morning!!! It is so exciting to be getting info!!! (It feels like I have been waiting forever for school to start!). We are going to meet in July to go over schedules, books, questions etc!

Anyways...I am sure everyone will be hearing (if not already) from their big sis/bro soon!

I am excited to quit work and start school!!!

blacklabmom said:
I got an email from my "Big Sis" last night! I had a few questions and she has already emailed me back this morning!!! It is so exciting to be getting info!!! (It feels like I have been waiting forever for school to start!). We are going to meet in July to go over schedules, books, questions etc!

Anyways...I am sure everyone will be hearing (if not already) from their big sis/bro soon!

I am excited to quit work and start school!!!

I didn't even know they were already assigned.

Raven Feather said:
I didn't even know they were already assigned.

I wasn't set anything official...just an email from a MSII that explained that she was my "Big Sis".

Hello to all of you future KCUMB students! My name is Anna and I just graduated from KCUMB last weekend. I just wanted to congratulate you all on a huge accomplishment...getting into medical school and choosing this place which you will truly enjoy for the next four years. There is no better way to start this journey.

Let me know if you have any questions for me. I am from the KC area originally and I'm staying here for residency. I'll be doing pediatrics residency at Children's Mercy Hospital. Then I hope to do an allergy/immunology fellowship.

Don't stress at all until school starts. Things will go smoothly and you'll get back in the routine in no time. Just relax and get plenty of rest. Spend time with your family and friends. Read some good books for enjoyment only! Take a trip if you can.

I will be the first to tell you that you can continue to have a life, a very fulfilling one, outside of medical school while at KCUMB. This will only add another wonderful dimension.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.
[email protected]

it's good to know that so many people that graduated from kcumb speak oh so highly about the school. I'm wondering if this "pride" about kcumb is a quality that is distinct among just kcumb students about their med school, or all med students in general are very enthusiastic about their particular school of choice. I mean honestly, every person that I've talked to about kcumb has endlessly mentioned that kcumb's education is top notch. I think that kcumb isn't talked about as much as the other d.o. schools but seems to offer one of the better educations. For some of the veterans on this forum, wha would you say about the quality of the professors at the school? Would you say that they are better than the professors found at an undergrad institution? (of course, we're talking about a state undergrad, not harvard or princeton).

I hope they choose Surgery and OB for me. That'd rock.

Raven feather... good luck on your scholarship!!!

I also got an e-mail last night from my "big sis". It got me all pumped about coming to school. It's going to be here sooner than we know it. If you didn't get one you might check your junk mail bc she mentioned that she was worried it might get filtered out.

I'm looking forward to orientation week since it will give us a chance to kind of get settled into school before classes actually start. Although I will definitely have to go shopping since I own two professional outfits and one of those was worn at my interview. I have absolutely no dresses or skirts either. haha. But I've been stockpiling scrubs!!

OH well. Speaking of taking a trip... I'm leaving for Tokyo in 4 days. I haven't even started to get ready. :eek:

docmd2010 said:
it's good to know that so many people that graduated from kcumb speak oh so highly about the school. I'm wondering if this "pride" about kcumb is a quality that is distinct among just kcumb students about their med school, or all med students in general are very enthusiastic about their particular school of choice. I mean honestly, every person that I've talked to about kcumb has endlessly mentioned that kcumb's education is top notch. I think that kcumb isn't talked about as much as the other d.o. schools but seems to offer one of the better educations. For some of the veterans on this forum, wha would you say about the quality of the professors at the school? Would you say that they are better than the professors found at an undergrad institution? (of course, we're talking about a state undergrad, not harvard or princeton).
A lot of the professors at the school are awesome, in fact, I would say most are better than any undergrad teacher I've had. One in particular steals the show, Dr Karius (I haven't had Dr Friedlander yet--check out his website at pathguy.com). She's an amazing teacher and I've heard rumors that she may pursue another job, but I hope she stays for at least two more years (for my sake at least). There are many other good ones, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I have noticed that KCUMB isn't mentioned at much as some of the other DO schools. It seems like it's usually DMU, PCOM, UNECOM, or one of the others. Oh well...

The faculty is great! I know some people at other med schools and they are always really impressed by how enthused our teachers are. For the most part, they are there to teach first, research second. The systems based curriculum is why our school is so great. There is so much repetition of material presented in different ways that by the end of your second year you are a pro! I believe KU MED is switching to a systems base curriculum this year because it is so much more effective.

anyone know how structured the 3rd/4th year rotations are?

has anyone seen the booklist? my friend received hers from LECOM earlier this week..hers is lonngggg with some classes having at least 2 or 3 texts. i'm wondering what ours is like? hopefully the matriculation packets come soon..i'm going up to KC this Friday to go apartment hunting but i have no idea where to start. i'm definitely looking into Bennington Ridge and Walnut Creek...anybody have any other suggestions? :confused:

soOosan said:
has anyone seen the booklist? my friend received hers from LECOM earlier this week..hers is lonngggg with some classes having at least 2 or 3 texts. i'm wondering what ours is like? hopefully the matriculation packets come soon..i'm going up to KC this Friday to go apartment hunting but i have no idea where to start. i'm definitely looking into Bennington Ridge and Walnut Creek...anybody have any other suggestions? :confused:

hi soOosan, i went to kc last weekend to apartment hunt. i had been talking to michelle sparks from relocationcentral and she was extremely helpful. i don't know anything about kc but i told her what i was looking for (one bedroom close to school and where other kcumb students live) and she put some things together for me, she even drove us (took the parents with me) around to the various properties. i'm going be at bennington ridge, best deal i could find. i liked walnut creek but it was less apartment for more money than bennington, and bennington is very nice. hope this helps

JusDO said:
hi soOosan, i went to kc last weekend to apartment hunt. i had been talking to michelle sparks from relocationcentral and she was extremely helpful. i don't know anything about kc but i told her what i was looking for (one bedroom close to school and where other kcumb students live) and she put some things together for me, she even drove us (took the parents with me) around to the various properties. i'm going be at bennington ridge, best deal i could find. i liked walnut creek but it was less apartment for more money than bennington, and bennington is very nice. hope this helps

thanks JusDO :) i called to make an appt with bennington and they changed the special already! hopefully they offer it again before august.

nrddct said:
anyone know how structured the 3rd/4th year rotations are?

1. You figure out where you will be based. Either in KC or somewhere in MI, OH, NY, FL plus many other states.

2. 3rd year you do the required core rotations, OB/Gyn, Peds, IM x 2, Surgery x 2, Psych and one elective and 2 FP's (1 month each)

3. 4th year you do the required rotations of EM, Cardiology, and Rural FP (1 month each). You have 2 months of electives and 2 months of SubInternship, which can be in your elective field. OR, in lieu of the 2 Sub-I's, you do another 2 months of rural FP. You also get a month to study for step 2 and a vacation/interview month.

This was as of my 3rd and 4th year.
:luck:

LovelyRita said:
1. You figure out where you will be based. Either in KC or somewhere in MI, OH, NY, FL plus many other states.

2. 3rd year you do the required core rotations, OB/Gyn, Peds, IM x 2, Surgery x 2, Psych and one elective and 2 FP's (1 month each)

3. 4th year you do the required rotations of EM, Cardiology, and Rural FP (1 month each). You have 2 months of electives and 2 months of SubInternship, which can be in your elective field. OR, in lieu of the 2 Sub-I's, you do another 2 months of rural FP. You also get a month to study for step 2 and a vacation/interview month.

This was as of my 3rd and 4th year.
:luck:

Rita,

Thanks for the info, what would you say is the general quality of these rotations? did you feel that the attendings were real helpful and offered good learning experiences? also can the rotations only be done at osteopathic hospitals?