KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have to have my second deposit check in by march 15. not looking forward to that. I guess it might have been better to get accepted later and have more time to come up with the money

Members don't see this ad.

hey w.r.t. the check deposits, get them in on time, dont lose your seat because of the deadline. check with the school to be sure, but i think depending on WHEN you were accepted, the check will have a different deadline (some times are longer than 2 weeks, others are less)...

dood respiratory section at kcumb kicked a$$!! whoot!!!!

reading over stuff posted here, i think kcumb is cool. while classes are mandatory, there is nothing to keep track of you being there or not... so if you are feeling really bad or had something else going on you had to do, then you can do it. tell a friend to take good notes for you, or get on with notepool and you are set. plus we have a number of teachers that have extra question and answer sessions if you want them. its cool. also we do omm on tuesdays only, and it is a half day thing typically about 2-3 hrs. the entire rest of the day is normally open (sometimes with other labs on interviewing for history and physical).

we have done castings, draw blood, strep cultures, ppd tests, spirometry, xray readings, and of course, probably about the best pathology in any medical school in the country - yes ANY....

So then are about 3 of days lecture until about 1pm? How often are labs?

Another question, could you explain the "score card"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Raven Feather said:
So then are about 3 of days lecture until about 1pm? How often are labs?

Another question, could you explain the "score card"?

4 days of lecture until noon. sometimes a lecture after noon. often after the lectures will be various labs - maybe 2 of 4 days you have afternoon labs...

i really cant explain the score card. its mostly a mysterious thing. remarks put on there cannot be contested easily and you dont know who it is from. they put down good and bad stuff, and it is something totally new that all medical schools are supposed to be doing between now and the 1-3 yrs.

just act in a professional manner, dont be a slob, dont lie, dont be insulting, try to help people when you can, basic stuff... you should be fine...

cooldreams said:
4 days of lecture until noon. sometimes a lecture after noon. often after the lectures will be various labs - maybe 2 of 4 days you have afternoon labs...

i really cant explain the score card. its mostly a mysterious thing. remarks put on there cannot be contested easily and you dont know who it is from. they put down good and bad stuff, and it is something totally new that all medical schools are supposed to be doing between now and the 1-3 yrs.

just act in a professional manner, dont be a slob, dont lie, dont be insulting, try to help people when you can, basic stuff... you should be fine...

So what about day 5? Just OMM?

Thanks for the info!

Raven Feather said:
Of course you're gonna be on the cool people floor! ;)

I'm trying to save for that other 1k deposit coming up in March. :scared:

Anybody else not going to get much "time off" before starting med school b/c of debt? I know I can't be the only broke one!

Amber,
Is that your dog then on your avatar? She looks like my dog, same coat and eye color. Her name is Talullah. Im still waiting on the scholarship packet. Im also apply for that NHSC (sp) scholarhip for primary care in addition to that one I told you about from work. Guess I will see what happens.

Yeah that's my dog, Achilles. He's a German Pointer. He's pretty well trained although he is SO hyper. I guess my hospital doesn't offer any scholarships for medical students, just nursing students. I think I'm going to apply for PRIMO and another scholarship that is for my area of Missouri.
Oh yeah, by the way, we are SO poor right now!! I was wanting to go on a medical missions trip but I don't know how we're going to be able to afford the trip or the time off required. I'm pretty much working full time now to try and make ends meet so that we will have enough money saved to be ok without me working in med school. I'm really hoping to not have to take out any extra loans for housing but unless I get some scholarships, that seems to be my future.

Raven Feather said:
So what about day 5? Just OMM?

Thanks for the info!

yea, 1 hr of omm lecture, then 2-3 hrs of omm lab. sometimes other labs, but not too often...

The schedule doesn't sound bad.

By the way, is there a certain place students usually buy their scrubs from? I know they have to be matching solid colors, right?

Has anyone's deposit check gone through yet?

FYI, I emailed KCUMB today to ask about FAFSA and this is the response that I received:
We do not require parental information on the FAFSA.* Most of the KCUMB scholarships are for students who are already students here, and while need can be a component, it is generally not the only criteria.

And they finally mailed my scholarship packet this morning, so if you are still waiting on it then hopefully it should be there soon, if not I would email Mary K. Sommerhauser (a financial aid counselor) at [email protected] and ask her about it.

Sweetlill1 said:
FYI, I emailed KCUMB today to ask about FAFSA and this is the response that I received:
We do not require parental information on the FAFSA.* Most of the KCUMB scholarships are for students who are already students here, and while need can be a component, it is generally not the only criteria.

And they finally mailed my scholarship packet this morning, so if you are still waiting on it then hopefully it should be there soon, if not I would email Mary K. Sommerhauser (a financial aid counselor) at [email protected] and ask her about it.

I received mine in the mail today. I'm in Indiana.

Hey everyone!
Congrats to those with acceptances!
I am far from even applying to schools, but I am interested in how current MS like KCUMB....how is the faculty, cirriculum, area, schedule? Do you feel as though you have any free time to 1.sleep, 2. maybe.....have any fun? I hear there is a dress code....true?
Just curious. Thanks.

klptvf said:
Hey everyone!
Congrats to those with acceptances!
I am far from even applying to schools, but I am interested in how current MS like KCUMB....how is the faculty, cirriculum, area, schedule? Do you feel as though you have any free time to 1.sleep, 2. maybe.....have any fun? I hear there is a dress code....true?
Just curious. Thanks.

yea lots of free time. probably should study more to get that A, but...

you will learn a LOT here and will be very well prepared in whatever you chose to do.

yes there is a dress code, but from my observations, it is not strongly enforced.

there are a number of parties since the class started already. so yes, you can have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what date KCUMB sends out our financial aid money?

Just finished 3 midterms in one day, serves me right for cramming all my classes in one day...soooo brain dead...
How's everyone elses semester going? I can't wait to get this semester over, my last undergrad semester with a lot of useless options required for graduation...why do they make us take those useless options anyway?

Quick question about KCUMB, I was reading some of the threads on this forum and apparently a lot of medical schools have class academic ranks? Is there such a thing at KCUMB? I hate rankings, not exactly the way to foster a cooperative learning environment...more like I-WILL-screw-you-over-for-that 0.01%-so-I-can-be-3rd-place-instead-of-4th-place.... :thumbdown:, too scary....

cooldreams..you guys actually have lots of free time? are you serious? I was reading all these threads about med students studying at least 6 hours per day and more on the weekends.....I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the absence of social life for at least the next 2 years.....

JJcandy said:
Just finished 3 midterms in one day, serves me right for cramming all my classes in one day...soooo brain dead...
How's everyone elses semester going? I can't wait to get this semester over, my last undergrad semester with a lot of useless options required for graduation...why do they make us take those useless options anyway?
I have determined for two reasons: 1) to foster well-rounded graduates and 2) for money. Haha. I'm taking Physics 2 and Aquatic Ecology. It's a pretty darn easy semester for me, but I don't like being in creeks all the time gathering fish. Not my cup of tea. I won't even get started about my fear of crawdads...

ambernikel said:
I have determined for two reasons: 1) to foster well-rounded graduates and 2) for money. Haha. I'm taking Physics 2 and Aquatic Ecology. It's a pretty darn easy semester for me, but I don't like being in creeks all the time gathering fish. Not my cup of tea. I won't even get started about my fear of crawdads...

wow, you get to gather fishes?? :D Aquatic Ecology sounds pretty good! I'd totally take that over this EXTREMELY boring psychology course I'm taking......uhhh......signal perception.....definitely not for me.... :oops:

I would be happy to collect fish instead of sit through a 3 and a half hour biochemistry class. oh well. It will be worth it for next year. I finally got my scholarship packet and also got my fafsa sent in. also got a letter reminding me that I owe another $1000 for the matriculation fee. At least they give a postage paid envelope. because after another thousand i dont know if i can afford the 39 cent stamp.

Geez, ya'll are willing to send 1k in one of those standard flimsy envelopes? I would be afraid they would get lost in the mail. Everything I send to schools are in those priority envelopes.

kumark13 said:
I would be happy to collect fish instead of sit through a 3 and a half hour biochemistry class. oh well. It will be worth it for next year. I finally got my scholarship packet and also got my fafsa sent in. also got a letter reminding me that I owe another $1000 for the matriculation fee. At least they give a postage paid envelope. because after another thousand i dont know if i can afford the 39 cent stamp.

Yeah I much rather take biochemistry than aquatic ecology! I took it last semester and I think biochem is interesting. Aquatic is interesting too on a very short term basis! Ha! I got that letter about owing them then 1K. I'm like, yeah right like I could have forgotten!! It's on my mind all the time. My tax return is in the mail... lol.

bump! so ready to be done with my masters program and starting med school!

I thought I'd tell ya'll.. I talked to finaid and they send out checks 2 weeks after classes start (not counting orientation) and then most private loans are received in September.

Happy VDay everyone!! ;)

ambernikel said:
I thought I'd tell ya'll.. I talked to finaid and they send out checks 2 weeks after classes start (not counting orientation) and then most private loans are received in September.

Happy VDay everyone!! ;)

Thanks for the valuable info Ambernickel! But that sucks!

Hi Future Physicians and Classmates,

I just got my acceptance on Tuesday and sent the fee check in the same day. I am really glad to be a part of this class. I am already in the Kansas City area as I have lived here for many years. I am 41 with family (2 little ones and wife) and so I am sure I will be known as one of the 'old dudes' in the class. :laugh: Looking forward to meeting you all in 3D.

Anyhow, my question is: What happens next? Will financial aid contact me or do I need to be proactive and do some things?

If you have any ??? about things in the KC area, you are welcome to PM me.

Craig (Gyark or Krayg spelt backwards)

Gyark said:

I just got my acceptance on Tuesday and sent the fee check in the same day. I am really glad to be a part of this class. I am already in the Kansas City area as I have lived here for many years. I am 41 with family (2 little ones and wife) and so I am sure I will be known as one of the 'old dudes' in the class. :laugh: Looking forward to meeting you all in 3D.

Anyhow, my question is: What happens next? Will financial aid contact me or do I need to be proactive and do some things?

They will send you a receipt for your deposit, credit check auth. form, and more paper work for your physical, immun. records, etc. If you have not been vaccinated against Hep B, start doing the series now, it takes 6 months. I just received a letter about my 2cnd deposit of 1k that is due on 3/15 and I believe they said they'd start sending out FA packets in March or April.

Welcome to the class, Craig!

Congratulations Craig!
can't wait till August! :)

Gyark said:

Congrats Craig!! If you have your tax info for 2005 you can go ahead and fill out your fafsa. But the finaid office said they'll send the KCUMB app and info for finaid in March or early April. Def get started on your hepb if you haven't already. I still need to get a varicella titer. I keep procrastinating!
:laugh:

congrats craig. where in the kc area do you live? ive been in lawrence for four years and excited to move to kc.

so anyone here planning to live in CT. I'm filling out my CT app. right now, we get to pick what floor we're on. Cool. Congrats to all who got accepted recently.

concerning the scholarship packet, was anyone qualified for the ones they sent you?

First and foremost congratulations to everyone accepted!!

I just thought I would through the "deferment" question out there as I am considering deferring for a year.

You see... I got married last May and I would have to spend the first year of school away from my wife as she will still have one year of school in Omaha to complete. Also, I just got my paramedic certification and would like to work in the field for a while longer to gain real patient experience. BUT, I really want to get started with med school….so I am perplexed.

Any comments, especially from current students who deferred, would be greatly appreciated.

Brent

Welcome to KC, Mark. Being from Lawrence, you are pretty much a native already though.

I live just outside KC in Lee's Summit (way out south near Greenwood). I have lived here for 10+ years and will stay put. It is a good 30-45 minute commute to school so if anyone lives or will be living close to me, let me know. We might want to work out a car pool arrangement. That would especially be good in bad weather.

Craig

kumark13 said:
congrats craig. where in the kc area do you live? ive been in lawrence for four years and excited to move to kc.

When do classes start? Also for the OOS's when do ya'll plan on moving to KC?

Gosh, Brent. I would certainly think carefully about waiting another year after an acceptance. Talk to the school and get some guidance from them. I guess I feel like Charlie in 'Willie Wonka' having won the golden ticket. :laugh: And I would hate to give up my golden ticket with the possibility I may not get it again. Perhaps you are really confident about getting another golden ticket. I just know some really good students who never got into medical school (one is actually a rocket scientist who works for NASA, no joke). So talk to the Chocolate Factory, not us golden ticket holders. Maybe Willy Wonka can give you more insight on the consequences of taking such action. :laugh: Good luck in whatever you choose.

Craig

medicbs said:
First and foremost congratulations to everyone accepted!!

I just thought I would through the "deferment" question out there as I am considering deferring for a year.

You see... I got married last May and I would have to spend the first year of school away from my wife as she will still have one year of school in Omaha to complete. Also, I just got my paramedic certification and would like to work in the field for a while longer to gain real patient experience. BUT, I really want to get started with med school….so I am perplexed.

Any comments, especially from current students who deferred, would be greatly appreciated.

Brent

nrddct said:
When do classes start? Also for the OOS's when do ya'll plan on moving to KC?

They start on Aug 14th but orientation and the white coat ceremony is the week before. I'm from Indiana and plan on moving hopeful on or before the first week in July.

I'm thinking of moving in on August 1st.
I need to get some good and cheap furnitures for my room in CT, can anybody suggest where I can find some good deals in KC?

Gyark said:
Gosh, Brent. I would certainly think carefully about waiting another year after an acceptance. Talk to the school and get some guidance from them. I guess I feel like Charlie in 'Willie Wonka' having won the golden ticket. :laugh: And I would hate to give up my golden ticket with the possibility I may not get it again. Perhaps you are really confident about getting another golden ticket. I just know some really good students who never got into medical school (one is actually a rocket scientist who works for NASA, no joke). So talk to the Chocolate Factory, not us golden ticket holders. Maybe Willy Wonka can give you more insight on the consequences of taking such action. :laugh: Good luck in whatever you choose.

Craig
I thought taking a deferment guaranteed your spot for next year. But I don't know much about it.

I'm planning on moving up either late July or the first week of August. It depends. I was wanting to go on this medical mission trip in mid July so that will probably make a difference on the exact date. But I've decided not to stay in CT. I'm gonna live in North KC instead.

On an entirely different note:
We took our senior assessment test at my undergrad institution today. The biology test was stupid and mainly about stuff I've never really concentrated on. Like botany, zoology, ecology and evolution. I should have been a biochemistry major instead of biology. There was, I believe, two anatomy, three physiology and two biochemistry questions on the entire test. I was so disappointed. The main test for all the seniors was so easy it was embarassing. At least they pay us to score well. ;)

For those moving into CT, I thought the leases end July 31. How are ya'll gonna make this work?

Hey everyone! Congrats to everybody that got in for class of 2010! I just have a couple questions about Kansas City if a MS could please answer them for me.

1. What is the asian population like on campus and in the city? I'm from Atlanta where theres people from all different cultural backgrounds so I was just wondering what Kansas city is like and what the majority of my class will consist of.

2. I heard that there was some type of requirement in which you have to stay within the state of Kansas for a certain number of years after graduation. Is this true? It doesn't really make sense to me, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Maybe this was in regards to the DO/MBA program?

Please answer me back! Thank you so much!!

Yes, in regards to the DO/MBA program, you are required to stay in KC during your rotations. Not sure about residency.

nrddct said:
Yes, in regards to the DO/MBA program, you are required to stay in KC during your rotations. Not sure about residency.

You aren't required to stay in KC for rotations, more than a half do rotations out-of-state according to their clerkship lottery system. If you get KC, then yeah. You do not have to stay in KC for residency.

Atlantagrl said:
Hey everyone! Congrats to everybody that got in for class of 2010! I just have a couple questions about Kansas City if a MS could please answer them for me.

1. What is the asian population like on campus and in the city? I'm from Atlanta where theres people from all different cultural backgrounds so I was just wondering what Kansas city is like and what the majority of my class will consist of.

2. I heard that there was some type of requirement in which you have to stay within the state of Kansas for a certain number of years after graduation. Is this true? It doesn't really make sense to me, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Maybe this was in regards to the DO/MBA program?

Please answer me back! Thank you so much!!

Just for clarification, KCUMB is located in the state of Missouri- Kansas City, Missouri--not Kansas, although there is a Kansas City, Kansas.

there are specific requirements for the DO/MBA program. I'm pretty sure one of them is that you have to stay in KC your 3rd and 4th year. We had talked about this during my interview session.

Raven Feather said:
Just for clarification, KCUMB is located in the state of Missouri- Kansas City, Missouri--not Kansas, although there is a Kansas City, Kansas.

Yes, sorry, I was actually born in Kansas city, Kansas and I forgot when I was typing that the school is actually on the Missouri side. Thanx for pointing that out!

nrddct said:
there are specific requirements for the DO/MBA program. I'm pretty sure one of them is that you have to stay in KC your 3rd and 4th year. We had talked about this during my interview session.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you--I was referring to just the DO. But now that you mention it, I think I do remember reading that since they know you may be away during rotations that they do the other stuff on-line. I think that is what I remember. I'm not doing the MBA though, so I didn't extensively research it. I do remember from the interview that for clerkships, the military scholarshipers have to stay in KC.

Atlantagrl said:
Yes, sorry, I was actually born in Kansas city, Kansas and I forgot when I was typing that the school is actually on the Missouri side. Thanx for pointing that out!

Oh, no harm done! I just didn't know how familiar you were with the area.

YEAH KCUMB 2010!!!

I am so stoked to be heading there in the fall...
All the stuff current MS's post is great!

where you from ISUbusdoc? When did you find out? and what did you do when you found out?

I have been accepted for the class of 2010. I am getting married and am looking for a good location to settle in. One of the primary concerns that I have is security...crime, etc. Do you have any suggestions on places to live. I am moving from Alabama and I need to have some places lined up so that I can pick a place when I fly back up in May. We plan on moving in at the beginning of July. Thanks for the help.

I am getting married and my wife and I are moving to the area from Alabama...any suggestions on where to live?