KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be a strange question, but does CT offer any way to search for a roommate? I know CCOM offers a website for students to post if they are looking for roommates on or around campus. Part of me would rather pay for half of a two bedroom apartment at CT than all of a one bedroom apartment. (You are all probably thinking that is a strange question but 1/2 of an aparment is less debt...) Anyone know of a way to do this kind of search??? :rolleyes: Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DORocksMySocks said:
This might be a strange question, but does CT offer any way to search for a roommate? I know CCOM offers a website for students to post if they are looking for roommates on or around campus. Part of me would rather pay for half of a two bedroom apartment at CT than all of a one bedroom apartment. (You are all probably thinking that is a strange question but 1/2 of an aparment is less debt...) Anyone know of a way to do this kind of search??? :rolleyes: Thanks

i think they do something, and so does the school.

oh, around may? or june maybe? one of the summer months, the IT dept at the school starts to set up the new users to post on blackboard... get on that asap, you meet your future classmates better and could actually talk about the CT situation better. there are a few of you on here right now, but when you are on blackboard you are exposed to a few hundred of your classmates at once.

Thanks Cooldream for all the info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yay KCUMB 2010, we're #1!!! :D

ambernikel said:
I'm trying to figure out the best place for me and my family (no kids just animals) to live. I posted a question about this in the Osteopathic forum for current KCUMB students. I've heard that if you go around the plaza it's cheap but it's not a great neighborhood. Most of my info is from the docs I work with but all of them went there >10 years ago so a lot has changed since.

The Admissions Dept at KCUMB has alot of info and there was an appartment search agent recommended to me who helped students for free. Anyway I live around the plaza and it's great.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

does kcumb specify a laptop? I'm too lazy to check. :)

nrddct said:
does kcumb specify a laptop? I'm too lazy to check. :)
In the college catalog under financial aid it said that KCUMB requires a laptop or desktop but I think it referred to the IT department to get specifics on what the requirements are. I don't know exactly at this moment but its somewhere in here http://www.kcumb.edu/kadmissions/collegecatalog0405.pdf.

If you have a computer that runs internet explorer (or better yet firefox!) then you pretty much meet the specifications.

So, has anyone heard back from the credit check thingy? I did receive the stuff about immunizations and such. I feel like there is something I'm not doing.

ya, on the credit check, if you don't hear anything then thats good news. You shouldn't have a problem getting loans then, thats what the FA office told me when I called to ask.

I'd like to see some pics of you guys so that we can put faces to names, or do ya'll think that would ruin the anonymity of SDN?

nrddct said:
I'd like to see some pics of you guys so that we can put faces to names, or do ya'll think that would ruin the anonymity of SDN?

I dunno, I don't want my pic plastered on SDN...but I don't mine like emailing it or something.

Did anyone else get that cool calendar KCUMB sent?

Members don't see this ad :)
So okay, about the credit report...I have a FICO score of 693 and they still would like me to have a co-signer? I was told that a FICO score of 600 or above is good enough to get funding? :scared:

Raven Feather said:
So okay, about the credit report...I have a FICO score of 693 and they still would like me to have a co-signer? I was told that a FICO score of 600 or above is good enough to get funding? :scared:

How did you find out what your exact score was. I couldnt find that on the actual report that kcumb sent to me and I really want to know?

I only got the immunization stuff, how come I didn't get a cool calender or anything about the credit check? When did you all receive all of these things? :confused:

Sweetlill1 said:
How did you find out what your exact score was. I couldnt find that on the actual report that kcumb sent to me and I really want to know?

It is not on that credit report, I bought my credit report + score on-line through equifax at www.econsumer.equifax.com for 14.95.

JJcandy said:
I only got the immunization stuff, how come I didn't get a cool calender or anything about the credit check? When did you all receive all of these things? :confused:

I received my immun. stuff about a month ago, I just received my credit report and calendar yesterday. I was all hyped until I called and was told they would like me to have a co-signer. My family members are poor and have no or poor credit. My sister is the only one who is a potential and that is a lot to ask of someone. Im gonna call again on Monday because I think I will get funded, maybe they just need a "just in case". We'll see what happens. :(

i actually thought that its not just the credit score really, but anything on your record that may have brought up a flag to them. you should talk to them

cooldreams said:
i actually thought that its not just the credit score really, but anything on your record that may have brought up a flag to them. you should talk to them

Yeah, I see your point there, but the FICO score is supposed to convert to your risk category of not paying loans back, I fall into about a 10% risk, since my score is almost 700.

I am definately gonna talk to them on Monday. Besides, if in fact I do need one absolutely, I need to know if it is just for first year....I am assuming it is being that one's credit could change within a year (hopefully for the better).

Raven Feather said:
Yeah, I see your point there, but the FICO score is supposed to convert to your risk category of not paying loans back, I fall into about a 10% risk, since my score is almost 700.

I am definately gonna talk to them on Monday. Besides, if in fact I do need one absolutely, I need to know if it is just for first year....I am assuming it is being that one's credit could change within a year (hopefully for the better).

if you get any private loans for school that may be what they are talking about, also, if you do get any private loans, those private loans will make your credit score go down. i dont think the federal loans do though... :confused:

Yeah, I'm fine for federal loans, just need a co-signer for the private ones for living expenses. Do you know if someone co-signing for you effect's his or her credit--or does it not who up unless I don't pay and he or she has to?

it will adversely affect their credit to be a cosigner. try to get some sort of scholarships or service program with your state or local town. they are not that rare....

cooldreams said:
it will adversely affect their credit to be a cosigner. try to get some sort of scholarships or service program with your state or local town. they are not that rare....

Yeah, Im applying for scholarships, but that is not guaranteed at this point.

So how's the medical foundations section, our first class?

Wow, my fico score isn't really very great at all and I received a letter saying that I have excellent credit. I was like, really? Hmm, that's cool. I mean, we do pay our bills on time and have equity in our home so I think that's what made the credit good even though we have a lot of debt. But most of our debt will be paid off before the end of my first year of school. Then all we'll have is our mortgage and my car and my undergrad loans but I'm deferring those.
I was so relieved because we have no family that could co-sign. I really wish there was more help for lower income medical students. I think its crazy that such a high percentage of med students come from families in the top 1% of incomes. Just bc your family is rich doesn't mean you'll be a good doc. Drives me nutty.
Oh well!

Raven Feather said:
Yeah, Im applying for scholarships, but that is not guaranteed at this point.

So how's the medical foundations section, our first class?
What scholarships are you applying for? How do you find out about them?

ambernikel said:
Wow, my fico score isn't really very great at all and I received a letter saying that I have excellent credit. I was like, really? Hmm, that's cool. I mean, we do pay our bills on time and have equity in our home so I think that's what made the credit good even though we have a lot of debt. But most of our debt will be paid off before the end of my first year of school. Then all we'll have is our mortgage and my car and my undergrad loans but I'm deferring those.
I was so relieved because we have no family that could co-sign. I really wish there was more help for lower income medical students. I think its crazy that such a high percentage of med students come from families in the top 1% of incomes. Just bc your family is rich doesn't mean you'll be a good doc. Drives me nutty.
Oh well!

We have 50+ equity in our current home (although it is in my hubby's name), they don't see that on the report. I was also told that my hubby couldn't be a co-signer. Both our cars are paid off etc., etc. I'm like in 12k in debt, I didn't think that was a biggy especially with my FICO score. Anyway, I come from a disadvantaged background but my soioeconomic rank is greatly improved now---but the other people I could ask in my family are still in poverty.

What's a girl to do? :)

ambernikel said:
What scholarships are you applying for? How do you find out about them?

I'm applying for one so far that is from my place of employment (hospital). The scholarship is for people in the hospital service area. The hospital foundation gives 10k for each of the 1st two years of med school for an allo or osteo student if chosen to receive the scholarship. Hey, that would help out greatly for the living expenses!

Raven Feather said:
I'm applying for one so far that is from my place of employment (hospital). The scholarship is for people in the hospital service area. The hospital foundation gives 10k for each of the 1st two years of med school for an allo or osteo student if chosen to receive the scholarship. Hey, that would help out greatly for the living expenses!
Wow thats a great option. I don't know if my hospital offers anything like that. I know they do for PA's and nursing but I'm not sure about medical students. I'll have to talk to the Physician recruiters.

ambernikel said:
Wow thats a great option. I don't know if my hospital offers anything like that. I know they do for PA's and nursing but I'm not sure about medical students. I'll have to talk to the Physician recruiters.

I don't want to talk too soon, but the odds are in my favor b/c not many people in the area go to school to become docs and also it is an urban primary care underserved area. We'll see though.

Definately check with the hospital. My hospital also has scholarships for nursing, x-ray tech, respiratory therapy etc. They just might have one for docs!

ihateresearch said:
I'm sending in my deposit this week.

Welcome to KCUMB class of 2010!!! I hate research too! :D

Hello, I'm an OMSIV at KCUMB and am graduating in May 2006. We, me and my wife, have a townhome that we need to get rid off and was wondering if anyone was interested. The location is Riverside which is 5-10 min north of the school depending on traffic. The rent is amazing if you don't make too much money, and there are about 15-20 medical/dental students that live in the same complex so you don't have to worry about crime. If you are interested please email me at: [email protected]

Thank You,
Steven Gillroy OMSIV

does it have a garage? more details please.

Just wanted to say goodbye to you all, I got acceptance to DMU and I am choosing to go there instead of KCUMB...good luck to you all next year!

DORocksMySocks said:
Just wanted to say goodbye to you all, I got acceptance to DMU and I am choosing to go there instead of KCUMB...good luck to you all next year!

Ahhh :( Good luck to you too!!!!

DORocksMySocks said:

Your banned from this thread. :p

Did you guys get your scholarships packet?

ambernikel said:
Did you guys get your scholarships packet?

No, is that the packet that includes the private loans stuff and all or does it give you the scholarships you may (or may not be) eligible for?

I didnt get any packet with any of this stuff. when did this come?

kumark13 said:
I didnt get any packet with any of this stuff. when did this come?

I received on Saturday a packet that had the scholarship information that one may or may not be (as most of them were in my case) eligible for. I have not yet received the application for financial aid. But I assume that will come after the deadline for W-2's since you have to have your tax return complete before application.

Edit: I also live relatively close to KC so yours may still be in the mail or something.

I live in KC (well Mission, KS) and have not received this packet yet... have you already turned in your FAFSA amber? Just wondering why I haven't gotten it yet... should I call the school?

Sweetlill1 said:
I live in KC (well Mission, KS) and have not received this packet yet... have you already turned in your FAFSA amber? Just wondering why I haven't gotten it yet... should I call the school?
I live like 3 hours of south of KC so that must not be it. Maybe its based on when you were accepted or something... I have no idea. But I'm sure if you call the scholarship coordinator, Mary Sommerhauser I think (or something like that) she can get them to you.

I just mailed in my reservation for century towers today. I wonder how they determine which floor we will stay on? I wanna be on the floor with the cool people.

nrddct said:
I just mailed in my reservation for century towers today. I wonder how they determine which floor we will stay on? I wanna be on the floor with the cool people.

Of course you're gonna be on the cool people floor! ;)

I'm trying to save for that other 1k deposit coming up in March. :scared:

Anybody else not going to get much "time off" before starting med school b/c of debt? I know I can't be the only broke one!

Amber,
Is that your dog then on your avatar? She looks like my dog, same coat and eye color. Her name is Talullah. Im still waiting on the scholarship packet. Im also apply for that NHSC (sp) scholarhip for primary care in addition to that one I told you about from work. Guess I will see what happens.

Congrats geraldm!!!!
Yeah I'm definetely broke after sending in my first deposit. I don't know how I'm gonna make the next one in a month and a half. I work full time and I didn't realize that I wouldn't have any money this year. Crazy.

I think I'm gonna send in my second deposit soon since it student loan money anyways. Do we just send a check by itself or include a letter?

Congrats Gerldam

I just sent a check and everything was fine so I think that's sufficient.

According to my letter I have until March 2nd to send the first 1000 in to reserve the seat. However, a few students (as well as AACOM) say that we have to do it within two weeks of notification. I think I am just gonna go with what it says on the letter unless anyone knows about something I don't.