KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So i wanna take a little survey, what about kcu really stood out to you in helping you make your decision to stay
iPad :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Not just any iPad! But the website says it is an iPad Air2. If it was a mini, I would have totally crossed the school off my list...

Members don't see this ad :)
So while we are on the topic..

I am assuming it is okay to get a Macbook Pro to use as a laptop, versus a PC model? Assuming there aren't any compatibility issues with using a Mac over a PC

The class before us got an iPad 4. We got an iPad Air. 2019 got the iPad 2. You guys will probably get an iPad Air 3.

I am assuming it is okay to get a Macbook Pro to use as a laptop, versus a PC model? Assuming there aren't any compatibility issues with using a Mac over a PC
Yes, I think it's nice having my MBP as well. Honestly, if you wanted to you could do everything on your laptop...but then you have to take exams on your iPad.

I have a MacBook Air. It's awesome. I do everything on it.

So i wanna take a little survey, what about kcu really stood out to you in helping you make your decision to stay

So much. But if I had to bullet-point them quickly before bed...
1. Professionalism of the staff, combined with the extreme friendliness of interviewers and admissions staff
2. Reputation doesn't mean that much to me, BUT, it is nice to go to a school that does have a reputation of getting students into great residencies. It's just good to know that I will be in good hands as long as I work hard.
3. The city. Tons of resources and fun things to do. From a bigger city, city life is for me.
4. Research being a bigger priority than many other schools
5. # of leadership and volunteer opportunities, esp. ones that can be found on the website and told to us on interview day. I get that many other schools may have just as many opportunities to be a leader and volunteer, but KCUMB made sure to lay out specific ones and relate volunteering + leadership to their current student's stories. So many schools say "we're a community, we have volunteer opportunities" but KCUMB laid out specific ones like I said, which really appealed to me, coming from an undergraduate experience FULL of leadership and volunteering. (Yes I understand most of my time will be studying, but to atleast have these opportunities laid out is great)
6. Have 2 current MS1 from undergraduate that I was really good friends with who is attending KCUMB now, as well as some family 1-2 hours away (not far compared to where I live now).
7. Overall great interview day experience with the interviewers, campus and student ambassadors.

I literally was about to type out 3 points and I somehow got to 7, but I have to sleep for work, but there's a small list.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe an iPad pro this year??

That would be a really interesting situation. It might have some practical applications in terms of being able to use the Apple Pen and combine the hand written notes to those previously outlined (I.e, competing with Laptop/Tablets such as the Surface Pro). Also, the resolution when looking at anatomy related structures and imaging might come in handy.

Personally, nothing works better than a 8gb RAM laptop with solid batter life. I can type everything out much faster and actually like learning directly from typing and reading e-books.

¡¿COMO ESTAN BITCHÈZZZ?!

COULDN'T BE HAPPIER TO BE ABLE TO POST IN THIS THREAD

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All, so I have decided to stay at the Century Tower when I start school and I'm having difficulty finding roommates. I tried the Facebook group and even messaged someone if he was interested since he liked my post but I haven't gotten a response yet. What are some ways I can reach out to other students? I know that the time to apply for Century Tower should be done as soon as possible before rooms run out. I'm starting to get worried that I may not have a roommate and I'm just confused as to what I should be doing. Can anyone provide me some suggestions? Thanks.

Deposit paid. I'm very happy to join this party! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hello All, so I have decided to stay at the Century Tower when I start school and I'm having difficulty finding roommates. I tried the Facebook group and even messaged someone if he was interested since he liked my post but I haven't gotten a response yet. What are some ways I can reach out to other students? I know that the time to apply for Century Tower should be done as soon as possible before rooms run out. I'm starting to get worried that I may not have a roommate and I'm just confused as to what I should be doing. Can anyone provide me some suggestions? Thanks.

You might want to call CT to confirm, but I think you can apply for a two bedroom without having a roommate just yet. As more people get accepted, the FB page will be the best way to find a roommate and Gia at CT might be able to match you up with someone else who applied without a roommate. I would definitely call and see what they say though! Congrats and welcome to KCU!

Maybe an iPad pro this year??

I would be surprised if they opt'd for the pros next year. They're not really any more adapt at what you need for note taking nor are they a solid processing core or true mac os. And mind you that the extra price is coming out of your tuition either way....

I would be surprised if they opt'd for the pros next year. They're not really any more adapt at what you need for note taking nor are they a solid processing core or true mac os. And mind you that the extra price is coming out of your tuition either way....
True about the cost. I'm hoping we get pros so I don't have to bring my MacBook air and my iPad to class everyday. I like the new pro keyboard way better than anything anyone makes for the air currently.

True about the cost. I'm hoping we get pros so I don't have to bring my MacBook air and my iPad to class everyday. I like the new pro keyboard way better than anything anyone makes for the air currently.

You won't need your air in class. I generally bring both my iPad and my laptop to class because I use my laptop to stream videos at 1.4-1.6x speed and my iPad to write stuff down or look things up.

So.. I retain info a lot better if I hand-write my notes. Would that be possible to do in medschool or is there just too much info to actually write notes and I should just start practising/improving my typing skills?!

So.. I retain info a lot better if I hand-write my notes. Would that be possible to do in medschool or is there just too much info to actually write notes and I should just start practising/improving my typing skills?!
There are apps where you can handwrite notes on the ipad with a stylus

I know several people who hand write all of their notes and it's totally doable if that's how you learn best. You'll figure out how much time you need per lecture if you do it outside of class or figure out how to shorthand in class. Typing is definitely more convenient in my opinion but I love writing and drawing things out so I'll usually write out the important stuff haha. Everyone has their own methods, you'll be fine

I hand write everything with a stylus on my iPad.
I also have notebooks and notecards.
You make it work.

Deposit paid and paperwork sent in! Couldn't be more excited to matriculate here!

Also, can any current students comment on how accurate this is >_< :

Haha, I've read a handful of reviews, both good and bad, I'm just trying to research as much as I can when it comes to housing.

Deposit paid and paperwork sent in! Couldn't be more excited to matriculate here!

Haha, I've read a handful of reviews, both good and bad, I'm just trying to research as much as I can when it comes to housing.

After watching that video, I'm interested in hearing more about Century Towers too haha

Hahahaha that video was great! Definitely exaggerated (I assume it was made for our spring formal event where people put together funny videos) but it does show a lot of CT. The trash is a little annoying but other than that it's not so bad. (As for the groceries, they have a cart in the office you can use haha) Or just park under the overhang instead of the last row of the parking lot ;)

Hey all, I'm trying to look around for apartments now--I'm searching for a 2 bedroom luxury style apartment that's affordable and has a ton of amenities (study area, fitness center, pool, excellent maintenance team). Does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer to live within 15 min of campus.

Hey all, I'm trying to look around for apartments now--I'm searching for a 2 bedroom luxury style apartment that's affordable and has a ton of amenities (study area, fitness center, pool, excellent maintenance team). Does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer to live within 15 min of campus.
http://www.liveatbriarcliffcityapts.com

This is about 10-15 minutes away from the school. The area around the residence is called briarcliff and it's VERY nice.

If you're not looking to pay that much there's CityViewLiving as well.

I'd suggest Overland Park but it's about 30 min away.

What is your budget?

What is your budget?
I'm paying about $1150/month for my studio apartment now, and I think that's quite expensive. For a 2 bedroom apartment, I would prefer it be below $1300/mo. Not sure if I can find that in KC though.

Wow I just looked at the price for the 2bedroom and it's what I'm paying now for my studio...I thought KC was really expensive, so I'm kind of confused haha

Wow I just looked at the price for the 2bedroom and it's what I'm paying now for my studio...I thought KC was really expensive, so I'm kind of confused haha

KC isn't New York. You'll find a 2 bedroom in an upscale apt in Downtown for about the same price as a 1br 30 minutes on the metro away from downtown in some cities.

Reactions: 2 users
KC isn't New York. You'll find a 2 bedroom in an upscale apt in Downtown for about the same price as a 1br 30 minutes on the metro away from downtown in some cities.
wow. I don't even live in a big city haha, just close to my campus. Anyway, that's awesome! Thanks!

Do most first year students live in ct? Or are people pretty spread out?

Can you give me some examples or places to atleast start looking? Not from the area, no clue what areas are nice, sketchy, etc. I'm looking for a small clean 2 bedroom apartment ranging from $800-$900. Not being on campus is fine, but I'd rather be 10-15 minutes away rather than 30+.

Can you give me some examples or places to atleast start looking? Not from the area, no clue what areas are nice, sketchy, etc. I'm looking for a small clean 2 bedroom apartment ranging from $800-$900. Not being on campus is fine, but I'd rather be 10-15 minutes away rather than 30+.

You won't.

You'll find a 2br for maybe 1100-1200 and I don't know if those will be a good place to live. I think 1200-1300 is a more reasonable price for a good 2br.

You won't.

You'll find a 2br for maybe 1100-1200 and I don't know if those will be a good place to live. I think 1200-1300 is a more reasonable price for a good 2br.

There is one place 15-20 mins from campus that wasn't too bad. 2 bd 2 ba $850 (after student discount). I'm trying to remember the name. Make sure you guys ask the realtor that usually posts in the KCU FB page. She is extremely helpful in setting up appointments!

Looking at the book list on the website (/http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/dangelo-library/resources/required-textbooks/), are the linked books free to access online for students through the library? I know most of the current students on here say most of the textbooks are unnecessary, just wondering what to budget for books.

Thanks!

Yup! Anything linked should be available and for everything else, there's usually PDFs that circulate. The only books I bought (either from the bookstore or a current student) are biochem, an anatomy atlas, and first aid haha. Everything else I've managed with a PDF or the lectures.

Reactions: 3 users
Yup! Anything linked should be available and for everything else, there's usually PDFs that circulate. The only books I bought (either from the bookstore or a current student) are biochem, an anatomy atlas, and first aid haha. Everything else I've managed with a PDF or the lectures.

That's great news, thanks for the info!

Is there free printing available on campus?

Last edited:
I live 25 min away and have a 2 bedroom/2 bath and pay $1100 a month. $800-$900 is pushing it for a bigger apartment unless you wanna live in a sketchy neighborhood.

I know a guy in our class that rents a 3 bed 2 bath house with a 2 car garage, and he pays less than 1k. You just have to be diligent with your research and such before making a decision.

If I am basing my apartment cost decision based on the room/board part of the KCU Budget plan, about what should I aim for per month in rent?