Kansas State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did everyone have a good experience when interviewing? I'm flying in this weekend and I'm very nervous :oops:
It's okay to be nervous!! I was super nervous from when I first arrived at the Conference Ccenter to midway through my interview. My interview was somewhat laid-back and all my interviewers were really nice, they helped me sort of ease into it. Reviewing the interview feedback here on SDN will help you prepare a lot, or in my case, over prepare.

If anyone has any questions, please ask! I really enjoyed my interview and I think you guys will too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's okay to be nervous!! I was super nervous from when I first arrived at the Conference Ccenter to midway through my interview. My interview was somewhat laid-back and all my interviewers were really nice, they helped me sort of ease into it. Reviewing the interview feedback here on SDN will help you prepare a lot, or in my case, over prepare.

If anyone has any questions, please ask! I really enjoyed my interview and I think you guys will too.

Were you allowed to bring a note pad into the room? I want to ask them questions at the end but I don't want to forget everything I want to ask.

Were you allowed to bring a note pad into the room? I want to ask them questions at the end but I don't want to forget everything I want to ask.
I thought about bringing the whole shebang - resume, thesis, application, notebook - but decided against it. They never really even asked me information that pertained to my application, actually. I probably asked them the same amount of questions they asked me since I had some extra time, but it's pretty easy to think of them off the top of your head based on the answers they give you! I wouldn't sweat it at all, I didn't see any other interviewees bring anything into the rooms when I was there, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Note pads and stuff are allowed!

I thought about bringing the whole shebang - resume, thesis, application, notebook - but decided against it. They never really even asked me information that pertained to my application, actually. I probably asked them the same amount of questions they asked me since I had some extra time, but it's pretty easy to think of them off the top of your head based on the answers they give you! I wouldn't sweat it at all, I didn't see any other interviewees bring anything into the rooms when I was there, however.

Oh really, that's interesting that they didn't ask you anything application-based. The question that I'm dreading the most is "why did you get X grade in X class"... :eek:

Oh really, that's interesting that they didn't ask you anything application-based. The question that I'm dreading the most is "why did you get X grade in X class"... :eek:

Lol I'm dreading the "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to be a vet" questions :arghh:

I was dreading that too! But they didn't seem too concerned with individual grades. I did get asked by one of my interviewers though, who was a self-proclaimed "numbers guy," why my science GPA was so low compared to my GRE and the rest of my application. It actually seemed like was giving me a chance to explain myself, rather than being accusatory, so I wouldn't stress about it. :) When I said application-based, I meant certain experiences and specific grades. That was pretty much the only question pertaining to my application that they asked!

Lol I'm dreading the "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to be a vet" questions :arghh:
The "tell me about yourself" question isn't too bad!! I just gave them a short introduction of what my major was, where I was studying, and my interests in veterinary medicine. As for the latter question, they asked "why do you have an interest in veterinary medicine as opposed to other professions and when did it start?" This made for really easy story telling and a good flow.

Like I said, it's all conversational! Does feel like a date, almost, the interviewers' main goal is just to hear about you as a person! They didn't make me feel attacked or under scrutiny in any way at all.

Reactions: 3 users
I was dreading that too! But they didn't seem too concerned with individual grades. I did get asked by one of my interviewers though, who was a self-proclaimed "numbers guy," why my science GPA was so low compared to my GRE and the rest of my application. It actually seemed like was giving me a chance to explain myself, rather than being accusatory, so I wouldn't stress about it. :) When I said application-based, I meant certain experiences and specific grades. That was pretty much the only question pertaining to my application that they asked!

That makes me feel a lot better!! :woot:
I was also wondering... Did you get any EXACT questions from the interview feedback (excluding tell me about yourself etc), like that one that asked what the difference between a heifer and a hereford was?

I was also wondering... Did you get any EXACT questions from the interview feedback (excluding tell me about yourself etc), like that one that asked what the difference between a heifer and a hereford was?
I just have to say that the interview was laid back (compared to some of the interviews I went to). I would say just practice basic questions and be yourself! If you knew all the answers to everything you wouldn't be applying, right? So if they ask you a question like that and you don't know the answer then you simply answer it with grace :). Just my opinion. I found that the interview was extremely conversational and that they were just trying to get to know a little more about who I am as a person. Take a deep breath. You've got this :D!

Reactions: 2 users
Not at all! I think those sorts of questions were highly specific to the applicant and their awareness of what's going in the veterinary field/the world. The practicing veterinarian asked me who the next president was going to be, and since I mentioned I was from Texas, she asked me if I knew about Dr. Kristen Lindsey.

Obviously, after my interview, I thought about how I could have answered some questions better - but they know that you're nervous and trying to make the best impression possible. Again, I way over prepared for my interview by looking through all those interview feedback questions, so you'll do just great :)

I just have to say that the interview was laid back (compared to some of the interviews I went to). I would say just practice basic questions and be yourself! If you knew all the answers to everything you wouldn't be applying, right? So if they ask you a question like that and you don't know the answer then you simply answer it with grace :). Just my opinion. I found that the interview was extremely conversational and that they were just trying to get to know a little more about who I am as a person. Take a deep breath. You've got this :D!

My goal is just to be me :) thank you for the advice!

My goal is just to be me :) thank you for the advice!
I think that is what they are looking for... after all, you are the one they invited to interview LOL :)!

Interviews on January 8th and received my acceptance letter today. OOS from Nashville, TN. I literally couldn't breathe for 5 minutes

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance too :).

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone who got acceptances! I know for the majority of you its the first one, it was for me! You've all worked extremely hard to get to this point so it's time to celebrate. Congratulations!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I got that question haha. As well as, "why is was your GRE score low compared to your GPA?" They asked me a lot of question about my research experience too. I would say a majority of my questions were about my application, but they didn't dig too deep. They seemed to only ask about the things I had the most experience in.

They didn't even ask me why I wanted to be a vet. I was a little upset. I'm guessing they thought I answered it in a different question :shrug:

I got that question haha. As well as, "why is was your GRE score low compared to your GPA?" They asked me a lot of question about my research experience too. I would say a majority of my questions were about my application, but they didn't dig too deep. They seemed to only ask about the things I had the most experience in.

Well, I've been bracing for those questions since I got C's in the first place so I'm prepared to answer... but I just don't want to :laugh:

Well, I've been bracing for those questions since I got C's in the first place so I'm prepared to answer... but I just don't want to :laugh:

Lol I got a D in physiology in undergrad, so I'm prepared to answer a question about that mistake :laugh:

Lol I got a D in physiology in undergrad, so I'm prepared to answer a question about that mistake :laugh:
I figure if they invited us to interview, we got past the "number" stage and they want to look at us as an actual person now, even if they do question our grades at the interview.

Lol if it makes any of you feel better I got an F the first time I took ochem, then I got a D, then finally an A- :rofl:

Lol if it makes any of you feel better I got an F the first time I took ochem, then I got a D, then finally an A- :rofl:
When I took ochem II I got a D, then an F, then a D, then an F, then finally a B. And I still got accepted! :laugh: (It definitely came up in my interview though)

That's progress though!

True :) but I definitely have a handful of Cs in there too. I haven't been asked about them once. Granted 2 of my interviews were MMI but 3 were not. Maybe that's because I did really well in my masters program but still you will be fine. Don't focus on the excuse unless it's something good (like mono or something), focus on what you learned from the situation

When I took ochem II I got a D, then an F, then a D, then an F, then finally a B. And I still got accepted! :laugh: (It definitely came up in my interview though)

You are awesome. Definitely shows determination :p

Congratulations to everyone accepted!

I interviewed on December 18 (OOS) and still did not hear anything. I pulled out the vet md school admission requirement book yesterday and found out that in the book is says we should expect to hear within 6 weeks following interview. So that means before the end of next week and before February! I am so confused and nervous now..

Congratulations to everyone accepted!

I interviewed on December 18 (OOS) and still did not hear anything. I pulled out the vet md school admission requirement book yesterday and found out that in the book is says we should expect to hear within 6 weeks following interview. So that means before the end of next week and before February! I am so confused and nervous now..

They send some acceptances out before this date for those they know they want to accept immediately. However, for the rest of us, second week of February is what they told us! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They send some acceptances out before this date for those they know they want to accept immediately. However, for the rest of us, second week of February is what they told us! Haha.

Thank you, I think that makes sense! It's a little frustrating though.. I don't know if I will be accepted so I have to go to more interviews, spend more money, and get all kinds of time conflicts:smack:

Thank you, I think that makes sense! It's a little frustrating though.. I don't know if I will be accepted so I have to go to more interviews, spend more money, and get all kinds of time conflicts:smack:
Is Kansas State your #1?

I had to do the same thing don't worry. It's the struggle

And of course last night I started getting a cough...and today it's worse. As if being nervous wasn't enough, now I might be sick during my interview :arghh:

And of course last night I started getting a cough...and today it's worse. As if being nervous wasn't enough, now I might be sick during my interview :arghh:

They should have tissue in the room in case you need to blow your nose and may offer you something to drink. They're probably used to interviewees being sick since K-State isn't in the habit of making people cry ;) I was sick for my interviews December and again for my February for OOS last cycle.

They should have tissue in the room in case you need to blow your nose and may offer you something to drink. They're probably used to interviewees being sick since K-State isn't in the habit of making people cry ;) I was sick for my interviews December and again for my February for OOS last cycle.

Good to know thank you! :) Do you think it would be inappropriate to not shake their hands and let them know I don't want to get them sick?

Who else is here this weekend? I'm excited that the weather is holding out for us, at least!!! :)

I'm flying into Chicago beforehand and apparently it's foggy there so all flights are delayed. Hope everyone including myself makes it!

I'm coming this weekend! So excited! I'm leaving from DC and am hoping for no delays getting out!

I'm here this weekend too...interviewing tomorrow. Anyone else staying at Quality Inn & Suites?

Good to know thank you! :) Do you think it would be inappropriate to not shake their hands and let them know I don't want to get them sick?

I would/did shake hands because not doing so would have interrupted the normal flow of an interview and they will also stick their hand out before you get a chance to warn them. IMO It's rude to reject a hand shake in a professional setting, even with good intentions. (But I'm not an etiquette expert, see what other people say too)
You can ask an ambassador to show you the restroom and you can wash your hands before they take you to your interviewing room.

I agree it might be awkward to not shake hands, but I can confirm there are tissues and hand sanitizer in the interview rooms!

Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend, I'll be helping out most of the weekend and I'll be on the student panel at the pizza party!

I hope everyone's interviews this weekend went well!

So we should expect to hear back by means of a letter by February 3rd?

Hey guys! I got my letter of acceptance about 2 weeks ago at KSU! I interviewed on Jan 8 so I was really excited and really surprised at how quick they were!! Anyway, KSU is the only school I've been accepted to so far...I'm still on the alternate list at LSU. I'm an OOS for KSU and I absolutely LOVED the vet program and how friendly and welcoming everyone was.

When I visited for my interview, that was the first time I had been to KSU! Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to see what all Manhattan has to offer. Could anyone tell me what are some fun things to do around there? I don't want to offend anyone, but when people think of the state of Kansas, they think endless fields of wheat! (I know I did). I know now it's not like that at all, and trust me, I get how annoying stereotypes like that can be. I'm from Texas and people from other states ask me if I wear cowboy hats and boots and ride my horse to school:laugh:

I know I'll spend most of my time with my head in books anyway, I'm just curious to see what people who have lived in Manhattan like to do with their spare time! Let me know! Go Cats!

Hey guys! I got my letter of acceptance about 2 weeks ago at KSU! I interviewed on Jan 8 so I was really excited and really surprised at how quick they were!! Anyway, KSU is the only school I've been accepted to so far...I'm still on the alternate list at LSU. I'm an OOS for KSU and I absolutely LOVED the vet program and how friendly and welcoming everyone was.

When I visited for my interview, that was the first time I had been to KSU! Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to see what all Manhattan has to offer. Could anyone tell me what are some fun things to do around there? I don't want to offend anyone, but when people think of the state of Kansas, they think endless fields of wheat! (I know I did). I know now it's not like that at all, and trust me, I get how annoying stereotypes like that can be. I'm from Texas and people from other states ask me if I wear cowboy hats and boots and ride my horse to school:laugh:

I know I'll spend most of my time with my head in books anyway, I'm just curious to see what people who have lived in Manhattan like to do with their spare time! Let me know! Go Cats!
I'm only a first year, so I haven't had a ton of time to explore the area yet, but there are a lot of hiking trails in/around town (Konza Prairie is great!). Tuttle Creek Lake and State Park is on the north side of town, I wouldn't recommend swimming in the lake but some people like to go kayaking and stuff. Of course there's Aggieville, which is the bar district and also has some fun restaurants and shops. We have a mall, it's pretty small but it has a JC Penney and Dillard's and some other basic stores. There's an art museum and an insect museum on main campus, I haven't been to either but they sound neat. Sunset Zoo in town is small but I've heard it's really nice. Kansas City and Wichita are both two hours away, some people go to KC on our rare weekends when we don't have an exam coming up for concerts, Chiefs games, shopping, etc.

Last edited:

So you heard back just a few days after your interview??