Kansas State (KSU) c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not seeing it in the google drive - which document is it in? What is the date of the reception?

In the “In Person Interviews” section, in the important information document, second page. It says you're also welcome to attend over Zoom :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not seeing it in the google drive - which document is it in? What is the date of the reception?
If I remember correctly, it's in the purple document on the second page. The reception is on Jan 6 and 13th at 5:30 PM

It’s in the in-person folder on the “Important Information” document
The reception is on the Friday the weekends of in person interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have experience moving off the interview waitlist? It seems like many of us were out there (versus rejected).

Just out of curiosity, is anyone practicing with mock interviews to help prepare for their interview? Especially those that have Zoom interviews?

Has anyone been able to find an admissions score breakdown for k-state? Trying to figure out how they weigh all components of the application.

Has anyone been able to find an admissions score breakdown for k-state? Trying to figure out how they weigh all components of the application.
Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading on their website that it was 60% academics, 29% interview, and 11% experience.

Reactions: 1 users

60% Academic Evaluation

• Science GPA calculation, based only on the KSU CVM science prerequisites.
    • 2.8 GPA minimum
  • KSU CVM prerequisite GPA
    • 2.8 GPA minimum
  • Last 45 credit hour GPA
    • Graduate courses will be considered in this calculation
    • 2.8 GPA minimum
  • Retakes within the last 6 years at the time of application will be averaged for GPA calculation. Higher level courses within the same prefix or topic can replace lower level courses for GPA calculation. For confirmation, please send syllabus to [email protected].
  • Grades on transcripts at the time of application will be used for GPA calculation.
  • Fall and Spring grades during an application cycle will not be considered.
  • A grade of D or F in a prerequisite course on a transcript at the time of application will result in disqualification.
  • All prerequisite courses must be completed at the end of the spring semester prior to beginning the DVM program.
11% Application Evaluation

• Veterinary experience: Veterinary experience includes any veterinary clinical, agribusiness, and health science experiences that took place under the supervision of a veterinarian. Research conducted under the supervision of a veterinarian should also be listed. Veterinary Experiences should be different from those entered for Animal and Employment experiences. It is strongly recommended that applicants pursue experiences with veterinarians in multiple areas of the profession, have a good understanding of the profession, the challenges faced by the profession and current issues affecting veterinary medicine. KSU CVM does not have a minimum requirement for hours of veterinary experience. A general guideline is to achieve a minimum of 500 hours of varied experience under the supervision of a veterinarian to sufficiently gain knowledge about the profession and achieving over 1,000 hours of quality experience would be exceptional.
  • All other experiences will be evaluated prior to interview invitation including Employment, Research not under the supervision of a veterinarian, Extracurricular Activities, Animal Experiences and Volunteer/Community Enrichment. Animal experience includes farm and ranch experience, 4-H membership, animal training, or similar activities that were not under the supervision of a veterinarian. Experiences listed as Animal Experience should be different from those entered for Veterinary and Employment experiences. Simply caring for a pet should not be listed.
  • All experiences should be reported from the timeframe of High School through College or within the 8 years prior to application.
Interview invitations will be extended according to results from the Primary Application Evaluation.

Secondary Application Evaluation​

29% Application evaluation and interview

• Interview teams will review the quality of all experiences listed on the VMCAS application along with evaluating the essay responses, personal statement, evaluations and letters of reference.
  • On campus interviews are required to complete the application process and to be considered for admission.
Offers, alternate positions and denials will be determined based on the results of the primary and secondary evaluations and interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is a virtual background required for virtual interviews? I have a blank wall as background so I don’t feel like I need a virtual background

Good luck to those of you interviewing this week and next week!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
How is the interview? Overall atmosphere? and how long does it take for to find out decision after interview?

How is the interview? Overall atmosphere? and how long does it take for to find out decision after interview?

I did mine over zoom last year so I can’t say much about what its like in person but it was very conversational and my interviewers made me feel comfortable during it. I think it was about ~25 minutes with some time at the end to ask them questions. Last year I heard the first week of February about my acceptance but that could absolutely change this cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just finished with mine! Super comfortable and faculty is very easy to talk to a receptive. I found a lot of common ground with them based on my research and my essays and they have your app in front of them so I’d definitely review that. They told me it’d be 4-6 weeks when they’d send out decisions. They had current student ambassadors there to answer questions and it made me feel way more at ease! This was over zoom as well.

Reactions: 9 users
Just had my interview! LOVED IT!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Just had my interview. Absolutely LOVED IT! :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I bombed my interview yesterday. I just got so nervous, it was my own fault. My interviewers were all nice. I managed to control my nerves before my interview with Mississippi today and I did so much better

• Care
I bombed my interview yesterday. I just got so nervous, it was my own fault. My interviewers were all nice. I managed to control my nerves before my interview with Mississippi today and I did so much better
I bet you did better than what you think you did!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I’m sure they understand. This is a big deal and they expect people to be nervous. Try not to get too down on yourself!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I’m excited to meet some of you at the reception tonight!

So, now that about half of us have interviewed, does anyone know when we should expect to hear back?
I’m OOS.

So, now that about half of us have interviewed, does anyone know when we should expect to hear back?
I’m OOS.
I heard 4-6 weeks is typical time they tell people, but some have said perhaps as early as the end of January

anyone else have a horrible feeling they'll get denied even though they made it to interview stage? 😅

Reactions: 2 users
KSU: hey alternates, did your heart stop the first time we sent out an email that didn't actually say you're getting off the list? How about now?
Like, ouch guys 😅

KSU: hey alternates, did your heart stop the first time we sent out an email that didn't actually say you're getting off the list? How about now?
Like, ouch guys

For real, can we please get a little bit more creative with these subject lines, I’m dying over here.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
For real, can we please get a little bit more creative with these subject lines, I’m dying over here.
I know they're doing their best, but twice now I've gotten so excited and then immediately crashed. Maybe like "information update" would be less heart-stopping.

what did the email say?
It was just an update that basically their interview schedule is full, they have a few days left for interviews, and if you aren't called off the wait-list they'll do file reviews upon request.
The email itself is totally fine and helpful. It's the subject line that made it potentially look like you were getting notified about getting an interview and then it was just general info.

• Care
Current ambassador here! I'm so glad to hear those that had an interview already had a good experience. 😊 I'll be chatting with y'all before your interviews on Wednesday and again Thursday afternoon. If anyone has questions about the interview process or any questions about K-State, feel free to send me a message. 😊

Does anybody know what the average acceptance rate is for those that interviewed?

Does anybody know what the average acceptance rate is for those that interviewed?
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think every year there’s around 415-430 interviews and the class size is around 120. So like 30 percent or so?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think every year there’s around 415-430 interviews and the class size is around 120. So like 30 percent or so?
My boss said that this year they are interviewing about 480 candidates. And we take around 120 students but it of course varies a bit from year to year. A certain percentage of students turn down KSU’s offer, so a bit more than 120 offers will be sent out.

If someone doesn’t accept their seat, then someone on the waitlist will be called. We had a student in my class actually get a call on the first day of orientation (Wednesday) and she packed up her stuff and moved from TX to KS to start class the following Monday.

• Hmm
My boss said that this year they are interviewing about 480 candidates. And we take around 120 students but it of course varies a bit from year to year. A certain percentage of students turn down KSU’s offer, so a bit more than 120 offers will be sent out.

If someone doesn’t accept their seat, then someone on the waitlist will be called. We had a student in my class actually get a call on the first day of orientation (Wednesday) and she packed up her stuff and moved from TX to KS to start class the following Monday.
I totally would take the seat if offered to me so late in the process. That said, I really wish there was a deadline to accept ONE school by April 15th to give adequate time for alternates to be pulled. It may be an unpopular opinion, but if we could only accept one offer by April 15th and then waitlists had to accept by June 15th, I feel like everyone could have more adequate time to pack up and move.

Oh man! I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same thing if I was in her shoes.

I totally would take the seat if offered to me so late in the process. That said, I really wish there was a deadline to accept ONE school by April 15th to give adequate time for alternates to be pulled. It may be an unpopular opinion, but if we could only accept one offer by April 15th and then waitlists had to accept by June 15th, I feel like everyone could have more adequate time to pack up and move.
Sometimes people decide not to go at the last minute. Someone decided the morning of orientation that they didn’t want to attend vet school (🤷🏻‍♀️), so she got pulled off of the waitlist. Moving with that short of notice would definitely be extremely stressful, but I’d do the same if I was in her shoes.

so even people who were lucky enough to interview have a 75% chance of not getting in 😅 fml

so even people who were lucky enough to interview have a 75% chance of not getting in 😅 fml
I like to look at it as 25% chance of getting in! Glass half full and all that. We’ll see if I change my tune after my interview on Friday though