Is it better to be a prude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I couldn't imagine doing something(like marrying someone) that they totally disapproved of. I just wouldn't do that to people who've done so much for me.

again, #brownpeopleproblems

What if you wanted to marry someone who was not brown?

Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious

has more to do with religion (especially of offspring) than colour.

Also, white americans from lower socio-economic backgrounds tend to not understand that my parents WILL be living with me, no matter how affluent/impoverished they might be.

has more to do with religion (especially of offspring) than colour.

So like a white Hindu would be better than Indian christian?

Also feel free to tell me to STFU if I'm being rude. I legit didn't know a single east Asian person until I went to college.

Members don't see this ad :)
So like a white Hindu would be better than Indian christian?

Also feel free to tell me to STFU if I'm being rude. I legit didn't know a single east Asian person until I went to college.

It's cool. Ask any questions you like, I won't be offended. The thing about Hindus is that...and I know how this is going to sound...you technically can't convert to hinduism. You have to be born a hindu. So, you see the problem? Has to do with dynasty as well as your child's prospects. A non-hindu parent might endanger both, in the eyes of the more conservative patriarchs/matriarchs, but thankfully things are changing.

Much of our society/interaction, like any other, is governed by unwritten rules, which if you're not familiar with, you'll end up having a rough time.

Reactions: 1 users
It's cool. Ask any questions you like, I won't be offended. The thing about Hindus is that...and I know how this is going to sound...you technically can't convert to hinduism. You have to be born a hindu. So, you see the problem?

Much of our society/interaction, like any other, is governed by unwritten rules, which if you're not familiar with, you'll end up having a rough time.

So does it matter which side it's on? Like I know with jews, the mom has to be Jewish in order for the kids to be Jewish. Do both parents have to be Hindu?

So does it matter which side it's on? Like I know with jews, the mom has to be Jewish in order for the kids to be Jewish. Do both parents have to be Hindu?

No, we place more trust in our women ;) I'm assuming you know why the mother has to be Jewish?

Traditionally, both parents have be hindu. It's quite complex since several generations are required for you to be entered into the scrolls at, say, haridwar (for when it's time to be cremated), but now the priests have bent enough that one is enough, especially if it's the one primarily in-charge of the child's upbringing.

Just curious

My parents are fine with that, though they would prefer an Indian that comes from our part of India. For all intents and purposes, Indians from the South are as similar to us as French people.

the american medical system should be renamed too something like ..... something with indians in the name

Is everyone here indian?
1391278024283.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, we place more trust in our women ;) I'm assuming you know why the mother has to be Jewish?

Traditionally, both parents have be hindu. It's quite complex since several generations are required for you to be entered into the scrolls at, say, haridwar (for when it's time to be cremated), but now the priests have bent enough that one is enough, especially if it's the one primarily in-charge of the child's upbringing.

I have no idea about the jew thing. I'm an atheist haha.

Interesting... thanks for educating me love

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea about the jew thing. I'm an atheist haha.

It's the same reason why some cultures have matrilineal succession. The child might not be the husband's. Dark, I know.

When I am reincarnated, I want to be a Hercules Beetle so I can be strong as fk.

Lol my parents are currently discussing the results of the match this year and all their friends kids and where they matched and being super snobby and supremacist about it...

Hello, why does it matter, your kids aren't in the match. sigh, Indian gossip never ceases to amuse me

Lol my parents are currently discussing the results of the match this year and all their friends kids and where they matched and being super snobby and supremacist about it...

Hello, why does it matter, your kids aren't in the match. sigh, Indian gossip never ceases to amuse me

Why do they even care I don't even

I just read all 9 pages of this. I am ashamed.

Your not alone bud, there is only so much mindless crap I can do until intern year begins... planning vacations and drinking my liver away is fun... but come Monday, reading this vast accumulation of nonsense is pretty damn entertaining. Speaking of which, I need to run to the corner store and get some more popcorn, for Game of Thrones and the rest of this crazy thread.

Your not alone bud, there is only so much mindless crap I can do until intern year begins... planning vacations and drinking my liver away is fun... but come Monday, reading this vast accumulation of nonsense is pretty damn entertaining. Speaking of which, I need to run to the corner store and get some more popcorn, for Game of Thrones and the rest of this crazy thread.

Make sure you floss!

Clearly there is a lot of that going around.

I mean I'm not trying to shet on anyone else's cultural background. I, personally, just couldn't imagine caring that much about what my parents think.

You're clearly not Indian. I don't care what my parents think but I do. It's strange as hell.

Reactions: 1 users

Gossip on all levels is lame, but at least their gossip is more on the "intelligent" level I guess. It could be worse....

"OMG, Did you see Becky's tacky sari last night? Where did she get that, at the flea market? No wonder her man be cheating!"

Ewe the Knicks, I'm in NY and I don't even like them

Being in NY doesn't mean you have to like them. I've been a fan since I started playing basketball... and I'm loyal. Don't tell me you jumped on the Nets bandwagon, or worse the Heat.

Being in NY doesn't mean you have to like them. I've been a fan since I started playing basketball... and I'm loyal. Don't tell me you jumped on the Nets bandwagon, or worse the Heat.

No

There are very few sports that matter.

Yankees

whatever it is that federer is currently doing

And most importantly

TEAM INDIA CRICKET. Yes, I said it.

I couldn't imagine doing something(like marrying someone) that they totally disapproved of. I just wouldn't do that to people who've done so much for me.

again, #brownpeopleproblems

That's it, that line is a microcosm of the guilt!

P.S. I'm not speaking for all Indians, just myself.

Just curious

My parents wouldn't care. I think my parents are hedging long that I most likely won't be marrying a brown girl, since I'm not usually attracted to them. All but my first gf's weren't Indian - and parents liked each of them.

They were all happy when I told them I was going on a date with a brown girl that I had met while in 3rd year. Never.AGAIN. (no offense, fancymylotus)

My parents wouldn't care. I think my parents are hedging long that I most likely won't be marrying a brown girl, since I'm not usually attracted to them. All but my first gf's weren't Indian - and parents liked each of them.

They were all happy when I told them I was going on a date with a brown girl that I had met while in 3rd year. Never.AGAIN. (no offense, fancymylotus)

Hay I take no offense. Like I said above, I'm def not marrying an Indian guy. Oh wells. I fulfilled my Indian child obligation by getting my dr title. :D

No

There are very few sports that matter.

Yankees

whatever it is that federer is currently doing

And most importantly

TEAM INDIA CRICKET. Yes, I said it.

To counter,

Mets fan since I was a kid (But I could really give 2 sh*ts about baseball). I lost faith in the Yankees after that devastating loss in 2004 when the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit.

Federer, yes. Djokovic, yes. Nadal, eh. Murray, also eh.

YES TEAM INDIA in cricket (why not I guess)

Okay, off the corner store. Hopefully more bs accumulates by the time I'm back. Cheers homies.

To counter,

Mets fan since I was a kid (But I could really give 2 sh*ts about baseball). I lost faith in the Yankees after that devastating loss in 2004 when the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit.

Federer, yes. Djokovic, yes. Nadal, eh. Murray, also eh.

YES TEAM INDIA in cricket (why not I guess)

Okay, off the corner store. Hopefully more bs accumulates by the time I'm back. Cheers homies.

Are you like going to your local bodega

Be careful. Eeeeks

Cricket is probably more lame than equestrian

Ok maybe not but still