Ireland Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

e3r4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am a Canadian that will be attending Ireland dental school in September. I completed my undergrad and officially graduated this summer. I applied to Ireland for dental school because they recently received accreditation in Canada.

I am not sure if I should attend or not. my goal is to eventually specialize in orthodontics field, therefore I am scared attending a non-Canadian and non-American schools might hurt my chances. I am also scared that there will be discrimination against me when I come back work in Canada as I have attended a non-Canadian and non-American school.

Please help me make a decision. I need advice from those who may know someone who graduated from a non-Canadian and non-American school and was able to find a job as a dentist in Canada without going through the qualifying path (so anyone coming back after the accreditation) and those people who found themselves able to specialize.

Also, those who will be attending this year or in the future are more than welcome to introduce themselves and chat about whatever in terms of Ireland dental schools.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I was looking into Irish dental schools thru the Atlantic Bridge Program too but as a US citizen who wants to stay in the US, it would not be the best idea.

In your case, I doubt you will be going through any trouble in the Canadian system. If I were you call the Canadian Dental Association and ask specifics about the regulations for your respective province/territory. If you plan in staying in Canada, I don't think it's a big deal...if you plan on practicing in the US, apply to Canadian/US schools..it's too much of a hassle if you don't.

Here is what the Atlantic Bridge Program states for Canadian applicants:

Practicing in Canada
Graduates of Irish dental schools undertake the National Dental Examining Board (NDEB) Equivalency Process (a process where your degree is assessed). Upon completion of this process they then take the required Board Exams (NDEB written exam and the clinical OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations) Examinations.
While being licensed at the federal level is a requirement to practice in Canada, individual provinces and territories regulate the practice of dentistry in their own jurisdictions. Several provinces require applicants to complete Jurisprudence and Ethics examinations which test knowledge related to local laws, ethics, and regulations of the profession.
- See more at: http://www.atlanticbridge.com/dental/curprac/practice-us-can/#sthash.DcVHdsBn.dpuf

Thank you paperclipz!

I am going to call Canadian dental association tomorrow and ask them about everything that's been worrying me. I would love to practice in US but your right! its too much of a hassle :S

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

So I am a Canadian that will be attending Ireland dental school in September. I completed my undergrad and officially graduated this summer. I applied to Ireland for dental school because they recently received accreditation in Canada.

I am not sure if I should attend or not. my goal is to eventually specialize in orthodontics field, therefore I am scared attending a non-Canadian and non-American schools might hurt my chances. I am also scared that there will be discrimination against me when I come back work in Canada as I have attended a non-Canadian and non-American school.

Please help me make a decision. I need advice from those who may know someone who graduated from a non-Canadian and non-American school and was able to find a job as a dentist in Canada without going through the qualifying path (so anyone coming back after the accreditation) and those people who found themselves able to specialize.

Also, those who will be attending this year or in the future are more than welcome to introduce themselves and chat about whatever in terms of Ireland dental schools.

Thank you in advance!

As a Canadian you now have Australian and Irish dental schools to choose from as they are all accredited (100% equivalent) in Canada!

The USA has not yet signed onto this agreement with Ireland or Australia however.

Most all dental schools in Ireland and Australia are very well regarded and since they are fully equivalent and accredited in Canada applying to orthodontic training programs even back in Canada should be no different whatsoever. :thumbup:

So ... bottom line is that if you want to practice in Canada, Australia, or Ireland then you won't have a problem. If you want to practice in the USA. It is possible but much more challenging.

Personally I know a few Australian dentists who were accepted into ortho and oms training in North America even before the Australian dental schools had a reciprocal accreditation agreement with Canada.

Last edited:
What is the process for a Canadian dentist to practise in the USA ?

To practice in USA after graduating from a non-accredited dental school, you would need to do the NDBE part 1 then apply to a dental school in USA where you do two years of schooling. Then after completing the two years, you have to do two tests for the state you plan to practice in.

Thank you Dr.Millisevert for the information! .... made me very happy to hear about the Australian dentists :D

What is the process for a Canadian dentist to practise in the USA ?

No different than an American dentist working in the USA. You have to sit your US national board exams and then get a state dental license. The only difference if you are not a citizen is obtaining a work visa.

To practice in USA after graduating from a non-accredited dental school, you would need to do the NDBE part 1 then apply to a dental school in USA where you do two years of schooling. Then after completing the two years, you have to do two tests for the state you plan to practice in.

Thank you Dr.Millisevert for the information! .... made me very happy to hear about the Australian dentists :D

If you graduate from an international dental program that is not recognised then.. yes, some states do require you to re-enrol in a US program with advanced standing. However, not every state requires this. Probably about 40% of the US states will give a license to overseas dental graduates if they have: completed a US or Canadian accredited dental specialty residency or if they have completed 2 years of a US or Canadian GPR or AEGD.

Hello to you,

I am a Canadian interested to apply for 2015 dentistry in Ireland. As far as I have researched going to Ireland is a good way if you want to come back and practice in Canada az a Dentist. I just wishec that I knew someone who is already there to get more information about the two schools under Canadian-Irish accrediation; "trinity college of dentistry" and "university college cork". I would like to know what is the chance of getting in considerind there is no DAT required and is there a way to know how people get into the 4 year program instead of 5?!. Also, how many Canadians are accepted each year? How is the quality of schools over there and the ones who actually are there, are you happy about your experience at Ireland? What was your backup plan? If you could provide me with information that would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

HappyDentToBe

Last edited:
Thank you paperclipz!

I am going to call Canadian dental association tomorrow and ask them about everything that's been worrying me. I would love to practice in US but your right! its too much of a hassle :S
Hi, How are you?

I would like to know your stats if you got acceptance from ireland dental schools please?
Moreover, did you get a chance to get information on how it is like to come back and go into ortho, endo specialties and wether there is any discrimination or not. I appreciate your respond.

Thanks,

HappyDentToBe

Hi,
I am a Canadian planning to apply to an Irish Dental School for the 2018 intake. I am aware that for some schools they dont consider DAT, but I've been hearing that Irish Dental Schools don't place alot of emphasis on GPA. Is anyone aware if someone like myself who has averaged C+ through my undergraduate degree but have shadow hours at dental clinics stand a chance?