Transfering to Ireland dental school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nico992

Reaction score
Hi,

I was thinking about going to a Irish dental school (maybe through Atlantic Bridge), because in the future, I wish to practice in Europe. What are my possibilites ? Technically, when you enter a Irish school you need to restart at year 1, but is there a way that I can transfer ? I think it has been done in the past.

Otherwise, is there another country in Europe where I could transfer ?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That’s a very specific question and I doubt you’ll find anyone with experience in transferring dental education credits between continents in this manner. Your best bet is to contact Irish schools and see if it’s even possible.

My question is - why do you think you’ll do better in a different country? Your best and cheapest option is still to remain in Canada (and Quebec’s cheap tuition fees).

You need to examine why you failed and make a plan to avoid failing any more. I completed Canadian dental school and I know how much of a challenge it is, but failure of a full year is very rare and it implies serious deficiencies on your end that won’t be improved by changing countries.

That’s a very specific question and I doubt you’ll find anyone with experience in transferring dental education credits between continents in this manner. Your best bet is to contact Irish schools and see if it’s even possible.

My question is - why do you think you’ll do better in a different country? Your best and cheapest option is still to remain in Canada (and Quebec’s cheap tuition fees).

You need to examine why you failed and make a plan to avoid failing any more. I completed Canadian dental school and I know how much of a challenge it is, but failure of a full year is very rare and it implies serious deficiencies on your end that won’t be improved by changing countries.

Thanks for your answer. You are right, and that is actually what I did, but in my faculty they are crazy, and no it is not that rare every year there are like 3-4 students (out of 90) who fail a year (or whose are fired out).

I do not think that the studies in itself are harder in a different country, but the politics of the faculty are clearly more flexible in other faculties in Canada (and maybe in other countries)

Thanks for your answer. You are right, and that is actually what I did, but in my faculty they are crazy, and no it is not that rare every year there are like 3-4 students (out of 90) who fail a year (or whose are fired out).

I do not think that the studies in itself are harder in a different country, but the politics of the faculty are clearly more flexible in other faculties in Canada (and maybe in other countries)

Interesting to hear you have so many failures. I went to UofT and I don’t think anyone had to repeat a year in my time there. Definitely not from my class.