This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KateLig22

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished my second year of undergrad. I had an extremely rough first year due to mental illness, so my cGPA is not the best (2.94). My second year only GPA is a 3.5. I am not the best at science, I have always had to work very, very hard to understand the concepts. My major is actually music (which results in very good manual dexterity lol). With the rough first year that I had, I have pretty much completly written off Canadian Dental Schools. I don't predict having a GPA in 3rd or 4th year much different than my 2nd year GPA. Like I said, I have to work extremely hard to grasp scientific concepts and even a B or B+ in a science course is a lot of work for me. Luckily, I have my major courses in music to help even out my GPA a bit.

I really want to become a dentist. I love the idea of using both science and art to make people feel better. As well, I had really bad dental anxiety as a kid (I had to be put to sleep for a simple root canal at age 17). I would like to create a safe and compassionate environment for people who are maybe in the same boat I was. Ever since finding my current dentist (who is just so kind, compassionate, gentle, and caring), my anxiety has diminished significantly. I have a passion for helping others, and yes, I am aware that there are many other professions that allow you to do this. But for some reason, I really seem to have a pull towards dentistry.

I do not have the natural ability to excel at the sciences, but I do have the work ethic. When I was younger, my music teacher used to say I was the hardest working student he ever taught. Learning classical music from an early age really helped me develop discipline and a strong work ethic. I also have lots of volunteer experience in terms of working with kids with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, working with the elderly, and more.

So, I guess what I am asking is: what are my options? I know of the Canadian agreement. I have heard of Atlantic Bridge program (going to Ireland) but I've looked into it and it is going to be roughly $500k CAD by the time I'm done. Is this amount of debt (plus interest) doable as a dentist in Canada? Are there any other options I should consider? I do know I could also go to the USA, Australia, or New Zealand. However, I am a bit worried of my GPA (as well as the current exchange rate) for USA schools. Australia and New Zealand are so far away, that I am scared just to look at the numbers there!!

Thank you for your time and help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.