This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannahdent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

This is super early but I decided to make a thread for those who plan on applying to the Atlantic Bridge dentistry programs for 2018. I'm waiting patiently awaiting for the applications come out so I can start it! Please add to the discussion if you plan on applying, and any questions ! :)

:welcome:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Im also applying to Ireland for 2018. However, I am going to second year in university this September. Wanted to know if I should mention in my application if I am already in university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying, just wondering its not necessary to send our DAT scores to those schools, correct?

I'll be sending my application tomorrow. Hope everything goes well.

Hey! I'm applying from Canada! Has anyone heard anything yet? If you guys want, we could start a Whatsapp group to talk about any news and updates. My Whatsapp number is: +213 5 52896127‬

It might be too early to hear back just yet. I'm nervous though =S. Hope this works out.

Hey! I'm applying from Canada! Has anyone heard anything yet? If you guys want, we could start a Whatsapp group to talk about any news and updates. My Whatsapp number is: +213 5 52896127‬

Seems like last year's applicants didn't hear back until around March 15th (at least based off when people started posting first-round acceptances in the thread) so that may or may not be indicative.

I didn't hear anything last cycle until mid June, so you never know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got an email about the timeline for admissions offers from Atlantic Bridge HQ.

"Irish dental schools typically do not make offers until the middle to end of April. There is not a set date."

Not sure if this means that this year may take a little longer. From reading on the forum, some people got offers around March 15th last year. Anyways, good luck everyone. I think we may all be buckled in for a little while here.

I have also applied to Ireland for dental school. Specifically UCC, my first time applying. Don't think my GPA is competitive enough, hope my extracurriculars help with my application.

I applied to Cork and Trinity. Nervous about the whole thing as it seems like a lot of people apply.
Same, its really stressful considering there are no statistics and no one to directly contact at the university.

Just got accepted to UCC 4-year program. My stats are below in case anyone is wondering.
cGPA: 3.86
EC: TA, SJA first responder, research experience, shadowing (only twice a week for 3 months)
4th year undergrad

Good luck to everyone else waiting! :luck:

Reactions: 4 users
Just received my acceptance into the UCC 4-year program as well! Looking forward to meeting everyone at Cork. And good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Reactions: 3 users
I just got accepted to UCC graduate entry! Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this - since it is a BDS and not a DDS, are you allowed to practice as “dr” like most dentists do when you return?

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted to UCC graduate entry! Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this - since it is a BDS and not a DDS, are you allowed to practice as “dr” like most dentists do when you return?
They are equivalent degrees, so yes you have the Dr. prefix.

Those who got accepted, would you mind sharing stats?
Not sure why this eases my mind lol, but it does

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else not get a email at all? If you don’t what does that mean?

Does anyone know if the first round offers fill the cork dental class, or if the second round of offers would do that?

Does anyone know if the first round offers fill the cork dental class, or if the second round of offers would do that?
The way I have been interpreting things from reading previous years forums, is that 4-year grad entry is the only offer made so far. Second round offers will likely be those who do not accept first rounds. 5-year offers were made at the beginning of April last year. Not 100% sure if thats correct but seems right so far

The way I have been interpreting things from reading previous years forums, is that 4-year grad entry is the only offer made so far. Second round offers will likely be those who do not accept first rounds. 5-year offers were made at the beginning of April last year. Not 100% sure if thats correct but seems right so far
Ok ya makes sense, thanks!

Anyone mind sharing their stats please?

Does anyone know the differences between the 4 year graduate entry program at UCC and the five year program? other than the obvious difference in number of years to complete the degree

Does anyone know the differences between the 4 year graduate entry program at UCC and the five year program? other than the obvious difference in number of years to complete the degree

The first two years of the program are condensed into one for the 4 year GED. It sounds like a lot but you are exempt from biochemistry and other classes the 5 years need to take. Because of this, you start doing fillings etc. in your second year. This gives an extra year of clinical setting vs. Canada or the US.

The first two years of the program are condensed into one for the 4 year GED. It sounds like a lot but you are exempt from biochemistry and other classes the 5 years need to take. Because of this, you start doing fillings etc. in your second year. This gives an extra year of clinical setting vs. Canada or the US.
Thank you!! I have been excepted into the 4 year GED program and I was just looking to get a sense of the work load in first year compared to the 5 year program

I haven't gotten any email yet and I am freaking out! I am completing my second year masters in public health nutrition and feel like my application is solid. I have a super strong science background with TA positions, a thesis on oral health nutrition education in low income international populations, leadership, tons of service, and honors grades. I don't know how else I could improve my application other than making a couple of my non A's or B's into A's or B's. Anyone else also freaking out?! Do we find out via email or in the actual mail? I am from the USA....haven't seen that many people from the USA apply.

I got accepted to the UCC 4 year program on Thursday, anyone make a facebook group we could join?

For those interested I graduated from Queen's with a BSc w/ honours in Life Sciences from and a 3.78/4.3 GPA with volunteer work, running conferences, dental shadowing, peer tutoring, TAing etc. I scored a 23 A.A on my DAT but I believe that is irrelevant for the Atlantic Bridge program.

I haven't gotten any email yet and I am freaking out! I am completing my second year masters in public health nutrition and feel like my application is solid. I have a super strong science background with TA positions, a thesis on oral health nutrition education in low income international populations, leadership, tons of service, and honors grades. I don't know how else I could improve my application other than making a couple of my non A's or B's into A's or B's. Anyone else also freaking out?! Do we find out via email or in the actual mail? I am from the USA....haven't seen that many people from the USA apply.

You are more than qualified, but the GED program may favour Canadians because of the reciprocity agreement between the two countries? Anyone applying from the states would need to do qualifying steps in order to practice.

You are more than qualified, but the GED program may favour Canadians because of the reciprocity agreement between the two countries? Anyone applying from the states would need to do qualifying steps in order to practice.

The same thought has occurred to me since I'm applying from the U.S. as well, but this is also assuming that we'd be planning to return to the U.S. post-graduation (which I suppose is presumed in most cases). The 'qualifying' steps are quite steep since a BDS only allows us to apply for 'advanced standing', thus skipping the first 2 years of American dental school. I'd honestly hope there isn't any geographical bias, but I certainly haven't seen a single testimonial from a U.S. student who went to dental school via Atlantic Bridge yet.

I haven't received anything yet :(
If you haven't received any word yet it just means that your application is still open for review! They will send you an email saying you have been unsuccessful when/if that's the case.

The same thought has occurred to me since I'm applying from the U.S. as well, but this is also assuming that we'd be planning to return to the U.S. post-graduation (which I suppose is presumed in most cases). The 'qualifying' steps are quite steep since a BDS only allows us to apply for 'advanced standing', thus skipping the first 2 years of American dental school. I'd honestly hope there isn't any geographical bias, but I certainly haven't seen a single testimonial from a U.S. student who went to dental school via Atlantic Bridge yet.

I am not really planning on returning to the USA to practice....looking to stay in the EU or practice in Canada. I would hope they wouldn't have a bias against Americans. I would hate to not get in because of that.

Received an interview request from Queen's Belfast this morning.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, the first round offers for the Trinity program don't come out until about April 20th (that's when they went out last year). Not too sure about Belfast as it doesn't have the reciprocity agreement with Canada.
I applied for Trinity last year and was accepted so I thought I'd share my stats..

Overall Undergrad GPA - 87% (3.9)

I'll definitely emphasize that they do take a more holistic approach because our Canadian's have pretty scattered academic backgrounds in terms of type of degree etc. so don't get too caught up in the stats.

Last edited:
Hi, I got an acceptance offer from University College Cork's 5 year program on Mar. 14, and most likely will attend it. Anyone on the same boat, please message me!

Hi, I got an acceptance offer from University College Cork's 5 year program on Mar. 14, and most likely will attend it. Anyone on the same boat, please message me!

Darn, I didn't get an email from them :(. Fingers crossed.
And I hope the QUB interview won't be too hard.