This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I got accepted in the 5-year program at UCC. Do you guys know how the quality of teaching dentistry at UCC is? Is it really good or not that good?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an offer from TCD on March 26th, and will more than likely be attending.

GPA: 3.65/4.5 (upwards trend - straight A's / A+'s last 2 years)
cDAT: 21
Lots of Research Experience
5-Years Undergrad

Did you get an email? This is my top choice and I haven't gotten any sort of email :(

I was emailed by Atlantic Bridge with the acceptance letter yesterday evening. But @DonAdemaj received their acceptance much earlier. Stay hopeful and good luck :)

I didn't receive an email either, I guess it means we are waitlisted or rejected?

I did my QUB interview. It wasn't terrible, not particularly easy either.

Good luck to all.

Hey all! Just discovered this site today...

I received my offer to TCD in early February and accepted it, although it is my backup right now as I interviewed for University of Alberta. My GPA was 3.4, with lots of volunteering and shadowing experience.

Amyone else accepted to TCD...should we start some sort of group?? And good luck to the rest of you!

You got an interview at UofA with a 3.4 GPA? Congrats, dude. That's not an easy thing to do.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard of anyone receiving a conditional offer? How does acceptances work if you are still in the process of completing your pre-requisites?

Has anyone heard of anyone receiving a conditional offer? How does acceptances work if you are still in the process of completing your pre-requisites?
What pre-requisites do you mean? The offer is conditional on completion of a bachelor degree, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
What pre-requisites do you mean? The offer is conditional on completion of a bachelor degree, I believe.
Well for the 4 year program they ask for anatomy, biochem, and physio. I thought that you can get a conditional offer, like ( accepted upon completion of anatomy with at least X%). But I never heard anyone getting a conditional offer like that.

Well for the 4 year program they ask for anatomy, biochem, and physio. I thought that you can get a conditional offer, like ( accepted upon completion of anatomy with at least X%). But I never heard anyone getting a conditional offer like that.
I think how it works is: if you don’t have the prerequisites for UUC 4-year, you’re automatically only considered for the 5 year program

Reactions: 1 user
I think how it works is: if you don’t have the prerequisites for UUC 4-year, you’re automatically only considered for the 5 year program

Maybe you are right! Ok, so a hypothetical question. Lets say one does poorly in a prerequisite course for the 4 year program, do you think it might effect the chances of getting in for the 5 year program?

Hey guys,

I am making a facebook group for the TCD class of 2023 (2018 intake) but I need to add 1 person in order to make the group, after that you can access the group by searching it on facebook. Can someone who was accepted to TCD please PM me their facebook name so that I can add you and we can get this started. @Pyrrolegal @CanadaCanada @DonAdemaj

Maybe you are right! Ok, so a hypothetical question. Lets say one does poorly in a prerequisite course for the 4 year program, do you think it might effect the chances of getting in for the 5 year program?

Just operate under the assumption you won't get into the 4-year program and you'll avoid any heartache. lol. Statistically speaking, any one person is more likely to get into the 5-year program than the 4-year one.

If you haven't gotten an acceptance letter for UCC 4-year program, then you likely won't be getting it at all. (I think.)

I e-mailed Robert Shadley and asked about that status of my application and this is what he said:

Your application is open at both University College Cork and Trinity College Dublin and you are eligible to receive an offer. The next round of offers will likely be released in late-April. Please feel free to follow up with me again at that time.

Thought anyone else who is waiting to hear back would like to know :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

I am making a facebook group for the TCD class of 2023 (2018 intake) but I need to add 1 person in order to make the group, after that you can access the group by searching it on facebook. Can someone who was accepted to TCD please PM me their facebook name so that I can add you and we can get this started. @Pyrrolegal @CanadaCanada @DonAdemaj[/QUOT
Hey guys,

I am making a facebook group for the TCD class of 2023 (2018 intake) but I need to add 1 person in order to make the group, after that you can access the group by searching it on facebook. Can someone who was accepted to TCD please PM me their facebook name so that I can add you and we can get this started. @Pyrrolegal @CanadaCanada @DonAdemaj
Hi, did you end up doing a facebook group? If so please add me: Raghd Georgie

HI,

I was just wondering those that got accepted to Cork were they asked for supplementary information?
I was sent an application that wanted to know what material was covered and in what courses?

Thanks

HI,

I was just wondering those that got accepted to Cork were they asked for supplementary information?
I was sent an application that wanted to know what material was covered and in what courses?

Thanks

I was also asked to complete that form but I haven’t heard back from any schools yet. This is so stressful.

Does anyone have any idea how many seats are generally given to non EU applicants? I wish I had a better idea of what my odds are but I have no clue how many applications they receive.

I was also asked to complete that form but I haven’t heard back from any schools yet. This is so stressful.

Does anyone have any idea how many seats are generally given to non EU applicants? I wish I had a better idea of what my odds are but I have no clue how many applications they receive.

I called Atlantic bridge and they said they have around 30 seats for all 3 schools. TCD accepts 6 Atlantic bridge applicants, so the rest are between the 4 and 5 year programs at cork and then Queens. I don’t have exact numbers for those, sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
I
HI,

Thanks
I was also asked to send supplementary course info to cork. Likely means that they are interested, but who knows.

I got accepted to UCC graduate entry this year. They asked for my supplementary course info a while back and i believe they request it for all candidates to determine their eligibility to the 4 year program. Good luck to all :) anyone else accepted from Ottawa?

I too got a supplementary application request, but I think the above comment is right about Cork wanting them to see if you’re eligible for the 4 year program admissions.

Does anyone when when we will likely hear back about the 5 year program decisions?

Hey everyone, I'm currently a dental student at UCC. I was in your shoes not too long ago so I know how anxious you all are. If you guys have any questions about the application process or about the program itself, feel free to message me and I'll be more than happy to help.

Congrats to everyone that got an offer, and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I also got accepted to Trinity 5 year a few days ago. I will likely be attending but I still have Western as a maybe depending on my interview today.

I also got accepted to Trinity last week and will be attending in the fall.

For those asking for the link to the facebook page, the forum won't let me post the link because I haven't made enough posts. The facebook group is called "TCD Dentistry 2023".

Hey everyone, I'm currently a dental student at UCC. I was in your shoes not too long ago so I know how anxious you all are. If you guys have any questions about the application process or about the program itself, feel free to message me and I'll be more than happy to help.

Congrats to everyone that got an offer, and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

Hi, hope you’re doing great in the course.
I got accepted there, starting this September.
How did you find the quality of teaching and facilities at UCC?
Is it hard to get good grades?
What year are you in?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I got accepted into UCC graduate program March 14, if anyone currently studying there please let us know how does it feel to be a UCC dentistry student.

I also created an FB group for UCC accepted students 2022/2023, feel free to join :)

UCC Dentistry 2022/2023

^ From my understanding there have been a number of offers already made (I believe all first round). Now, there is still hope! Of the people that reject their first round offers, those now open spots will be used for second round offers. Which I believe will be sent out mid-late April, maybe early May. So I guess there isn’t much to do aside from waiting :(

For those of you who are Canadians who have been accepted and are attending, have you started or secured funding from Banking institutions in Canada? I’m still waiting to hear if I’ve been accepted or rejected, but I’m concerned that it’s going to be a bit of a process trying to get money for it...so I’m starting to lay the groundwork.

How was/is your experience going with that? I have student loans from my undergrad degree and I just work part time as a waitress; no family money to fall back on. Have you found it difficult getting the amount needed for the 4-5 years? Does anyone know how heavily funding decisions rely on your current financial situations? I have a great credit score but no assets really. I’ve made an appointment to talk to a Scotiabank advisor on Monday so I can get an idea of how difficult this might be, they asked me to bring my pay stubs but that’s hardly going to help my case here.

For those of you who are Canadians who have been accepted and are attending, have you started or secured funding from Banking institutions in Canada? I’m still waiting to hear if I’ve been accepted or rejected, but I’m concerned that it’s going to be a bit of a process trying to get money for it...so I’m starting to lay the groundwork.

How was/is your experience going with that? I have student loans from my undergrad degree and I just work part time as a waitress; no family money to fall back on. Have you found it difficult getting the amount needed for the 4-5 years? Does anyone know how heavily funding decisions rely on your current financial situations? I have a great credit score but no assets really. I’ve made an appointment to talk to a Scotiabank advisor on Monday so I can get an idea of how difficult this might be, they asked me to bring my pay stubs but that’s hardly going to help my case here.

Hi,

I work part-time too, I made an appointment and they told me I need a guarantor, someone with good income who is willing to pay the interest or the monthly payment after your graduation if for some reason you were not able to do so. I think it is almost impossible to get the loan if you do not have a guarantor.

Securing funding is the main downside of going abroad to these schools because it's difficult to get a line of credit approved without a strong co-signer. I have had a tremendous experience dealing with the banks in Canada and I would say that all of the big name banks are drastically on the safe side in risk taking when it comes to lines of credits. For example, I was denied by RBC, ScotiaBank, TD and CIBC even though I had 2 co-signers ready to sign along with me. I think CIBC was the closest bank ready to offer me a reduced amount of 200k which would not have been enough to cover Ireland for 4 years. Also, with the euro being so expensive these days it's gonna cost more than the 250k they would offer you. Anyways, you should try with Desjardins because their service is absolutely top notch and they cater to student, I managed to sign a 250k LOC without a co-signer for my first year but it was not an easy thing to do. All the best!

Reactions: 2 users
Second year student at Trinity - theres an American in my class so I don't think theres anything to worry about there. Also I feel like the application process leans more towards your references and extra curriculars -considering the applicant as a whole if you will than specifically focusing on GPAs. And both of the programs here offer far more clinical time than in Canada. By the end of this year we can do all restorative dentistry (fillings and root canals) on a patient. We've been treating patients once a week since January doing fillings and exams. Next year we move to 2-3 clinical sessions a week, and it basically keeps going up from there. The estimate is about you receive 1000 more clinical hours over a Canadian programme. If you have any other questions feel free to message away!

Securing funding is the main downside of going abroad to these schools because it's difficult to get a line of credit approved without a strong co-signer. I have had a tremendous experience dealing with the banks in Canada and I would say that all of the big name banks are drastically on the safe side in risk taking when it comes to lines of credits. For example, I was denied by RBC, ScotiaBank, TD and CIBC even though I had 2 co-signers ready to sign along with me. I think CIBC was the closest bank ready to offer me a reduced amount of 200k which would not have been enough to cover Ireland for 4 years. Also, with the euro being so expensive these days it's gonna cost more than the 250k they would offer you. Anyways, you should try with Desjardins because their service is absolutely top notch and they cater to student, I managed to sign a 250k LOC without a co-signer for my first year but it was not an easy thing to do. All the best!
hi, so based on your comment I contacted an advisor in Desjardins and he told me a strong co-signer is needed and the maximum they can offer is 150k !!!! how you were able to get 250k without having a co-signer? please I need your advice cause I'm facing the same difficulties you had.

Hey Guys, I am from Australia, I have been accepted into the 5-year dentistry programme on the 2nd of Feb 2018, any Australians going to UCC?

For all Canadians out there, why don't y'all consider applying to Australian Dental Schools? Australian dental degrees are also recognized by the Canadian Dental board, so you guys can go back to Canada, sit the Dental Board Exam of Canada, and register.

For all Canadians out there, why don't y'all consider applying to Australian Dental Schools? Australian dental degrees are also recognized by the Canadian Dental board, so you guys can go back to Canada, sit the Dental Board Exam of Canada, and register.

I did read that Australia and NZ also have reciprocity agreements with Canada, but I couldn’t find what schools were included in that or if it was all schools. If anyone has a link to more information that would be great :)

I did read that Australia and NZ also have reciprocity agreements with Canada, but I couldn’t find what schools were included in that or if it was all schools. If anyone has a link to more information that would be great :)

Take a look at Oztrekk, they list all the dental schools in Australia and tell you which ones do/don't participate in the reciprocal agreement

has anyone recieved a rejection letter ?

hi, so based on your comment I contacted an advisor in Desjardins and he told me a strong co-signer is needed and the maximum they can offer is 150k !!!! how you were able to get 250k without having a co-signer? please I need your advice cause I'm facing the same difficulties you had.

Maybe dentaraculous got the reduced amount of 200K from CIBC, and an extra 150K from Desjardins, for a total of 250K?

Hope dentaraculous replies because I'm curious about this whole Desjardins situation.

Maybe dentaraculous got the reduced amount of 200K from CIBC, and an extra 150K from Desjardins, for a total of 250K?

Hope dentaraculous replies because I'm curious about this whole Desjardins situation.

No I only got the 250K from Desjardins and the 200K from CIBC was an astounding rejection pretty much because it's not enough. Like I said, it wasn't an easy thing to get the loan approved and it required a lot of documents. I am only approved for the first year and a co-signer might be added depending on my spending/grades. I am willing to share more details for those of you who are interested. Please PM me :)

No I only got the 250K from Desjardins and the 200K from CIBC was an astounding rejection pretty much because it's not enough. Like I said, it wasn't an easy thing to get the loan approved and it required a lot of documents. I am only approved for the first year and a co-signer might be added depending on my spending/grades. I am willing to share more details for those of you who are interested. Please PM me :)
What do you mean by saying you were approved only for first year? 250 K is enough for the 4 years

What do you mean by saying you were approved only for first year? 250 K is enough for the 4 years
I am approved to go on without a co-signer for the first year until it's renewed. As I understand it, these loans would have to be renewed on a yearly basis which is not a big deal but i could be asked to have a co-signer at the renewal if my finances aren't in order.

for those of you who've already gotten offers, what deadline did they give you to reply? Just trying to get an idea of when second round offers may come out, thanks!