Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
azzarah, i decided last minute as well with very little bonding with my ophtho dept. No ophtho research, but did do some in another field. I applied to most of the same programs as you, but am not as successful. I say that because for the many of the programs you listed in your previous post, I have not heard back from, so I'm assuming you are the superstar who would have been safe even if you applied to the 20 top programs. I applied to ~30 myself programs, which was the mean back in 1999 (today is 45). I think you will match where you want, and apparently you are cute :) When the top-heavy candidates are worrying on this board about other top-heavies dropping their interviews (i agree, ppl should drop double-bookings), we are creating the atmosphere that ophtho is more competitive than it might be, at least at the moment. So my point with the post is we should all try our best to not create excess worry for future applicants resulting in >50-60 apps per person when there is no reason to.

Congrats to everyone who have gotten to this point and here's to hoping we'll all do well :luck:

Okay, okay, I agree, but those people still need to not double book and give'em up fast so we can get cheap airline tickets! :D

Members don't see this ad.

duke told me that they were only allowed to give out the 16th on orders of the PD....which is fine since dec1 , their other date, is shared by several other schools...

azzarah...I met you at baylor :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just emailed Pittsburgh to give up my 11/17 interview. Hopefully one of you will get it! :luck:

If you have to double-book, please be kind and give up your interviews as soon as possible so everyone else has a chance! :D

duke told me that they were only allowed to give out the 16th on orders of the PD....which is fine since dec1 , their other date, is shared by several other schools...

azzarah...I met you at baylor :D

Oh yeah? That was a fun interview I thought!
Which one were you? :) Gimme a hint!

I, too, was sort of a late-comer to Ophthalmology. If my school/ophtho department had more pedigree to it, I would have been able to apply to fewer Ophthalmology programs, but, at this point, it looks like I needed every single one.

I'm working ER shifts on Thanksgiving to accomodate all the days I'm missing to attend interviews. Meh!

Hey guys,I gave up univ minnesota, med college wisc, Mayo and CPMC today, I hope this helps someone! Anyone have a suggestion if I need to pick b/n Case Western and Pittsburgh?

hey guys,
just got an email from Wake Forest (2nd batch). dates offered 11/17 & 12/04.

if anyone is giving up their 12/01 UC Davis interview, please let a girl know!
good luck to everyone

has any one else had trouble contacting Wash U. I have not been able to reach them by phone or email? any ideas?

Hey has anyone else heard from Emory? When I emailed them, they said interviews would be out this week and I would hear very soon. I think I may have over-interpreted the statement. Hope this was not another practical joke by Ms. T. :(

Eyefly: I had to email/call multiple times. Keep trying! Good luck.

Hey guys,I gave up univ minnesota, med college wisc, Mayo and CPMC today, I hope this helps someone! Anyone have a suggestion if I need to pick b/n Case Western and Pittsburgh?

I'd recommend you chceck out Minneapolis.

Heard from Tulane today by E-mail Nov. 17 and Dec 8th. Also talked to Emory who said I that they have only offered their first round of interviews and that I was wrong to expect an "application is complete email" because they never sent one to anyone... I guess I misunderstood something I read in another post?

Heard from Tulane today by E-mail Nov. 17 and Dec 8th. Also talked to Emory who said I that they have only offered their first round of interviews and that I was wrong to expect an "application is complete email" because they never sent one to anyone... I guess I misunderstood something I read in another post?

yep...their previous email just said they needed a picture

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working ER shifts on Thanksgiving to accomodate all the days I'm missing to attend interviews. Meh!

Me too....I'm on Thursday (Both AM and overnight), Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday! :eek:

Call from Duke yesterday....Only offering Nov 17 which I could not take....

This is what they need to start doing....Have a national interview week convention where we all travel to another city for a week and do all our interviews in one place. :rolleyes: I wish!

University of Chicago invite via email, Dates Dec 4,5 (batch 2)

interviews by email today. dates are the first 3 fridays in december. anyone know anything about this program?

Interviews as of 11/1: SUNY Buffalo
University of Rochester
SUNY Upstate
Northwestern
Brown
UCSF
Penn State
Yale

Rejections as of 11/1: Iowa
Columbia
Boston University

i am still waiting on Storm?

colorado, email, batch 2, 11/30, 12/1, 12/2, just like every other program in the country.

what is the deal with 12/1 interviews? i have had three programs offer interviews where that was the only option. unbelievable!!!

Also got the South Carolina email.

I talked to someone at MUSC, and they have not sent out interviews yet...as last week.

Georgetown by email (batch #3)
Dates: 11/8, 11/29, 12/8, 12/13

Weirdly enough, the email was timed 3:30 pm, but I didn't receive it till now. Could be my school's email system. It's screwy sometimes.... I should have gone with good ole gmail.

Has it always been so hard to schedule all your interviews into december, or is it worse this year because of the delays with SFmatch?

hi, anyone else going to be in birmingham alabama this weekend that wants to share a hotel/rental car? i am flying in friday and leaving sunday morning.
me ---> normal/male/broke$$

New York Medical College (batch 1), snail mail, 11/1: interview dates are dec. 5th and dec. 13

Georgetown by email (batch #3)
Dates: 11/8, 11/29, 12/8, 12/13

Weirdly enough, the email was timed 3:30 pm, but I didn't receive it till now. Could be my school's email system. It's screwy sometimes.... I should have gone with good ole gmail.

Has it always been so hard to schedule all your interviews into december, or is it worse this year because of the delays with SFmatch?

I got the same email...and didn't get it 6 hours after the stamped time just like you received it...I don't think it's the email system in our end...it must be theirs...

beaumont by phone 12/02, 12/09
u of c email 12/04, 12/05
(batch 2)

I got the same email...and didn't get it 6 hours after the stamped time just like you received it...I don't think it's the email system in our end...it must be theirs...
Also did not receive Georgetown email until much later -- don't think it is on our end. :)

i'm so sorry - u of c = univ of chicago
forgot that west coasters and non-midwesterners could get confused!

UT San Antonio- Anybody willing to switch my dec 15 with your nov 17 interview date?

Just emailed U Pitt to give up my 11/19 interview (which I picked up earlier today thanks to some kind soul!). Unfortunately I'll be caught on the west coast and can't get a flight back east in time.

I know there's a couple of you that wanted 11/19 there, so just a heads up to give Siobahn a call in the morning.

Good luck! :)

BU, 10/31 by e-mail, dates offered 12/1 and 12/15 morning or afternoon. *phew* broke a 3 week dry spell finally! :luck: to all!!

batch 2

VCU/MCV on 11/1, by phone. anyone have any insight on this program?

also, Emory by email 10/30. i'm scheduled for Sat 12/2, but would like to trade for Sun 12/3- anyone?

Please help! I can't decide! I'm from TX. Which would you pick? UT Southwestern, Stanford, Duke? All 3 offered me Dec 1 interviews. Help!!!

I would pick Duke.

UT sW: Has a bit of a malignant reputation with 8 residents per
year (soon expanding to 9). Chairman there has
a rough reputation as well.

Stanford: Although the program has the Stanford name, the
ophth. program really isn't counted among the top tier.

Duke: Top notch faculty and training with a great reputation.

If you want to return to Texas, Baylor is the best choice.

Between Duke and UTSW do you know which one has better clinical training?

Which city has the highest single M:F ratio? Durham or Dallas? :D

UCI....Dec 1, Dec 8, Dec 15. Seriously, what is up with DECEMBER 1?

If you mean number of cataracts, UTSW might be a bit more.
However the difference isn't too much. The breadth of different
ophthalmic cases, I think, is much important. However, this
is in no way to diminish the importance of cataract surgery
since this is the bread and butter of general ophthalmology.
As long as you get about 150 cataract cases, you should be fine.
I think Duke and UTSW both get higher than 150 in general.

I know for a fact that you get a good number of trabs and
other cases at Duke. Plus the reputation and the faculty are
hard to beat.

Social life? well that's another story. Durham does lack it.
I have friends who thought Houston was heaven compared to
Durham.

If you mean number of cataracts, UTSW might be a bit more.
However the difference isn't too much. The breadth of different
ophthalmic cases, I think, is much important. However, this
is in no way to diminish the importance of cataract surgery
since this is the bread and butter of general ophthalmology.
As long as you get about 150 cataract cases, you should be fine.
I think Duke and UTSW both get higher than 150 in general.

I know for a fact that you get a good number of trabs and
other cases at Duke. Plus the reputation and the faculty are
hard to beat.

Social life? well that's another story. Durham does lack it.
I have friends who thought Houston was heaven compared to
Durham.

Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

interview offers at univ minnesota and univ north caroline same day, any advice guys?

Bascom Palmer said they will send out interview invitations by middle of November.

interview offers at univ minnesota and univ north caroline same day, any advice guys?

Both are very good programs. In terms of the program itself
I think UMinn is a tad better. They have an excellent
cornea/ant segment program headed by Krachmer who edits
the definitive cornea textbook. They also have an attending
who was faculty at Bascom Palmer a few years ago who
transferred over. They actively recruit new faculty including
the current neuro-ophth person who trained at Scheie and
Mass eye and ear and was faculty at Cleveland Clinic previously.

Although a good program, UNC will always be a bit overshadowed
by Duke. Kind of like Maryland with Hopkins and UT houston
with Baylor etc.etc.

Of course Chapel Hill does have a more favorable climate.

UC Irvine, email 11/2 (batch #1), dates 12/1, 12/8, 12/15. Have most programs always loved Fridays?!!

Any thoughts on UC Irvine vs. U Wisc? I know the WI is a research powerhouse, and will likely be fully accredited, but any pros and cons on faculty, surgical experience, etc?

Wow, that's a tough one! Are you from either state?

Nope, NYC :p Thanks for the input IOP, very helpful! any other advice anyone? I have to say on interviews so far, all the ophtho-interested med students have been great, so that makes me happy :thumbup:
so date conflicts Minnesota vs. UNC
Case Western vs. Pittsburgh

Nope, NYC :p Thanks for the input IOP, very helpful! any other advice anyone? I have to say on interviews so far, all the ophtho-interested med students have been great, so that makes me happy :thumbup:
so date conflicts Minnesota vs. UNC
Case Western vs. Pittsburgh

no offense to anyone but if u're from nyc, pittsburgh is a tough place to live for 3 years. granted u'll need other factors before making ur decision but just thought i'd throw that out there..