Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
st. lukes/roosevelt yesterday by phone for 11/29

Any opinions on this program?

Cozy program (READ: only 2 residents per year, which I think means q4 call x 2 years). The residents actually seemed really happy here surprisingly and they say that they get pretty good fellowships. As I remember from last year there might be kind of a faculty shortage (you might want to ask about faculty number at the interview) and one of the clinics does not have a full time attending. Which I guess could mean the residents have a lot of autonomy here if you like that sort of thing. There are a few clinic sites, one on their main campus, and I think there is one like in Brooklyn or Queens or something. Don't quote me on that, I don't remember all the details.

Interview: Similar to a cattle call. 20-30 candidates sit in a room full of food while one or two people get called for interviews at a time.. kind of makes for a long and anxiety provoking process. I think there might have been 2 interview rooms with 2-3 people each. They asked a lot of hypothetical questions to see how you would handle certain situations. Prepare to think on your feet but always think before you say.

Not a top program in NYC, but not too bad. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

st. lukes/roosevelt yesterday by phone for 11/29

Any opinions on this program?
that dude left a message on my phone and from the way he sounded, i thought i had won a free getaway trip. could you understand what he was saying?? btw, any ideas on hotels to stay at when you go? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from Mount Sinai (after replying to the email with the dates you'd like)? I was just curious because I haven't. Thanks! :)

Has anyone heard back from Mount Sinai (after replying to the email with the dates you'd like)? I was just curious because I haven't. Thanks! :)

I haven't yet, I figure with all the emails she must have gotten all at once she's probably pretty busy trying to plan out the interview schedule

Any opinions on the Bronx-Lebanon Medical Center program? Just got an invitation from them: 1) via phone call, 2) batch #2, 3) they will interview mostly every Wednesday starting on Dec 6. They might also interview on a few Mondays…

i just got offered indiana by email today for december 2. the problem is that i am already scheduled to interview at colorado on the same day. any thoughts about the two programs? i don't know much about either of them but i do know that colorado has had some internal drama in the past. i would much rather live in denver however because i have lived there previously. any thoughts?

Our residents gave a bad scouting report on Colorado saying they had to drive all over town for call among other negative things. I heard good things about Indiana regarding autonomy/training from guys that did aways there. That's why I scheduled Indiana and dropped Colorado.

UMDNJ by phone, dates Dec 2 and 9

that dude left a message on my phone and from the way he sounded, i thought i had won a free getaway trip. could you understand what he was saying?? btw, any ideas on hotels to stay at when you go? thanks.

hehe, it was the emphatic "you've been chosen!" bit... anywho, i'm prolly gonna commute in from nj... if u don't mind crashing @ someone's place u could try http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/3326.html
I haven't tried it yet... Otherwise i would priceline it... They didn't mention any hotel deals to me.

Thanks for the input, eyegirl06!

Hi y'all

I just happened upon this thread because I'm trying to dig up some helpful info for my boyfriend who is applying for residency this year. i've already matched in Ophthalmology at a very good program so if you have any questions, especially about the New York, NJ, PA, and VA programs, let me know. I'd be more than willing to give advice (as much as I remember!). Good luck to all. Also let me know if you have any questions regarding Transitional/Prelim year.

Thanks for offering to advise. Do you know the interview format at Wills and Scheie(whether it is a one-one or panel interview). Also do u remember the names of the faculty who interviewed you.
Thanks

Getting very frustrated with this whole process. I'm not sure what the schools expect...for us to have our labtop with internet access glued to our heads for 24/7.

When schools offer interviews; they should offer candidates spots they actually have instead of overemailing.

On the bright side, thanksgiving was a good breather

Happy turkey day all!

has anyone gotten invites from georgetown or howard in dc? thank you!

I am scheduled to interview at St Vincent, but have recently found out that they are actually on probation. Does any one know the reason for their probation? Or any one know of the program? Some one mentioned earlier that there have been "negative" things associated with the program, but what kind of negative things? Since it's in such a great location, I just feel I want to at least give it a try...

Just got a last minute invite to UNC - contacting programs still works :D
Any opinions on the program?

Also, I am heading out to UC Davis this week. Wondering if anyone has any info on the interview day, and what to make of the panel interview.

Thanks and good luck!:thumbup:

Just got email invite off the waitlist from Cole Eye (Cleveland Clinic) on Dec 12...thanks to whoever released that one :)

It's nice to know that many of last year's applicants did not receive interview invite until November - especially for those of us who are still waiting for their first interview offers.