Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know much about the program at Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding UTSW, Duke, Stanford, UTSW has set the bar on my interview trail. I can't imagine a better program compared to the others I have seen. In addition to great autonomy, surgical numbers and a fun town, Alcon world head quarters is located in the area. Residents are allowed to go there to practice with new equipment and other techniques. When I interviewed, they said residents are provided with certificates of qualification in LASIK, refractive surgery etc that private MDs would have to pay for. It would cost $45,000 for all these classes in private practice, and you get them as part of the residency for free. They work hard, but the residents said they were done by 5 almost always. With the addition of the 9th resident, call will be diluted further. I will be interested to see how others compare.

Regarding UTSW, Duke, Stanford, UTSW has set the bar on my interview trail. I can't imagine a better program compared to the others I have seen. In addition to great autonomy, surgical numbers and a fun town, Alcon world head quarters is located in the area. Residents are allowed to go there to practice with new equipment and other techniques. When I interviewed, they said residents are provided with certificates of qualification in LASIK, refractive surgery etc that private MDs would have to pay for. It would cost $45,000 for all these classes in private practice, and you get them as part of the residency for free. They work hard, but the residents said they were done by 5 almost always. With the addition of the 9th resident, call will be diluted further. I will be interested to see how others compare.

In regards to the refractive surgery certificates, you are able to obtain them
without cost during residency at any reputable program with a refractive department.

You raise a good point about being able to practice with new equipment.
The most ideal thing would be to have a practice lab within the dept.
(A few departments have this) Believe it or not, most equipment manufacturers will leave their newest machines at academic institutions for them to try out and will frequently conduct courses at the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just heard from UT-Memphis...offering...you guessed it...December 1st! Needless to say, I had to give it up! Their other interview date is December 11th, but that one is currently full.....

Just heard from UT-Memphis...offering...you guessed it...December 1st! Needless to say, I had to give it up! Their other interview date is December 11th, but that one is currently full.....

haha azzarah, talk about pan-applying...:laugh:

Thanks everyone for your input. I picked UTSW because after much thought, I realized I'd rather be close to friends/family....I think I will need the social support during residency. I have family/friends in MD, NY, Chicago, CA, TX, TN, etc etc. but I know no one in Durham!
Thank you for your help and input....All residency programs in the US are great and all ophtho applicants are superstars....I would not have gone wrong picking either one!

What's with the weekends before and after thanksgiving!!! It's annying because this weekend and the next are relativly free.

Seeing UTWS soon, curious to see it first hand after hearing so much about it. If feel that it has more rumors than any other program.

Had to boot five interiews due to conflicts, some at places I wanted to see. No loss with Scheie though...5/5 and 4/5 taken from home program the last two years....why even bother interviewing other people right.

Azzarah, you're a star, why so many interviews? That must have cost a fortune!!!

btw....I've called and subtly hinted for an interview at four programs since my finacee had interviews in those cities and I got 3/4 interviews within three days....a note does not hurt for those of you with places you want to be. one of them was a top 10 school no less that had given out intervies 2 over a week ago

Please help! I can't decide! I'm from TX. Which would you pick? UT Southwestern, Stanford, Duke? All 3 offered me Dec 1 interviews. Help!!!

Wow this is a toughie. This is how I would rate them:

If you're really not sure, pick the place you'd rather live in for 3 years. All 3 are great programs, and the differences in clinical, surgical and academic training are imperceptible. With Stanford, the allure of living in Palo Alto is hard to turn down. With Duke, location is not so hot, but it's probably the most academic of the group, and the one that is a true 'top 10' program, for what it's worth. And UTSW probably has the best balance of location and reputation among the 3. Good luck in your decision.

SUNY Upstate 10/30 via email for 12/8
Georgetown 11/2 via email
Geisinger 11/2 via email
Rejection via snail mail MEEI

hey Xaelia...I have first hand knowledge of UW and like I mentioned earlier they interview 25/30 of 500 applicants...that's tough for them to decide. If you have a connection to Seattle that would really help. Otherwise the PD said they basically have to pick people out of a hat.

No connection to Washington, other than I grew up in Oregon and made fun of Washington for sales tax and having to pump your own gas. Couldn't have hurt to try....

Members don't see this ad :)
btw....I've called and subtly hinted for an interview at four programs since my finacee had interviews in those cities and I got 3/4 interviews within three days....a note does not hurt for those of you with places you want to be. one of them was a top 10 school no less that had given out intervies 2 over a week ago

What a great idea! How does one go about doing this without seeming pushy? And who do you call? I wonder if this is only worth doing for compelling reasons (i.e your case, a fiancee interviewing in the same city, or a family tie) - I would love to call up Northwestern, but don't really have any great reason other than I'd love to live in Chicago for a few years! Would like to call up Scheie too, though based on Haptic's post apparently they're a lost cause...

I just wanted to say I feel the pain for all the avg. applicants out there, seems as though it's the top heavy folks who are having the problem w/ so many interviews and conflicting schedules. I say you just go to 5 interviews and leave the rest to us...Ha. Anyhow, I'm still waiting, was hoping this week would be good, it has been dry, maybe next week will be last hope. Good luck all, off to watch ER.
peace

What a great idea! How does one go about doing this without seeming pushy? And who do you call? I wonder if this is only worth doing for compelling reasons (i.e your case, a fiancee interviewing in the same city, or a family tie) - I would love to call up Northwestern, but don't really have any great reason other than I'd love to live in Chicago for a few years! Would like to call up Scheie too, though based on Haptic's post apparently they're a lost cause...

Dude, Northwestern sent me a rejection letter faster than the speed of light! If you haven't gotten rejected yet, it might mean you're on their interview waitlist! I don't know, but maybe a brief e-mail checking on the status of your application and mentioning how interested you are in their program and just dying :love: to interview there....:luck: :luck:

No connection to Washington, other than I grew up in Oregon and made fun of Washington for sales tax and having to pump your own gas. Couldn't have hurt to try....

:laugh:

Azzarah, you're a star, why so many interviews? That must have cost a fortune!!!

How many are you interviewing at? I am actually not doing that many due to time and financial conflicts. Everyone who applies to ophtho is a superstar....I'm no more superstarish than the next person.....

I just wanted to say I feel the pain for all the avg. applicants out there, seems as though it's the top heavy folks who are having the problem w/ so many interviews and conflicting schedules. I say you just go to 5 interviews and leave the rest to us...Ha. Anyhow, I'm still waiting, was hoping this week would be good, it has been dry, maybe next week will be last hope. Good luck all, off to watch ER.
peace

I think the really academic/research programs get back to you faster because they get fewer applicants....If I didn't want to go into academia (that's most ophtho applicants), then I wouldn't apply to those places. Also, several programs told me they don't send out any invitations until mid November. I have also heard of people getting interview invitations just a few days prior to the interview.....

Got the following today, the beginning sure sound like the start of a rejection letter, but then the invite. Is this what other people's invite letters looked like? Thanks.

November 2, 2006

Dear Casey Eye Institute-OHSU Resident Applicant:

Thank you for you interest in our Ophthalmology Training Program at Casey Eye Institute - OHSU. The Residency Selection Committee has reviewed your application. Your application clearly demonstrates considerable academic merit. Since we have received over 380 applications this year for our 5 positions starting in July 2008, we will only be able to interview reasonably a limited number of candidates.

We are pleased to extend an offer for you to visit us in Portland.

We will be conducting our resident candidate interviews on Saturday, November 18 and December 2, 2006. Unfortunately, there will not be alternate dates for interviews. Please let us know immediately whether you would like to visit us on those dates. We fully realize that traveling for interviews places a considerable burden on you. These interviews are integral in our selection process.

nebolt:I though the exact same thing about casey, freaked me out

sisyphus: sorry I emailed (to clarify) the PD saying I loved the program, didn't ask for interview, just said would love to be there. pd's basically have to pick people out of hat 10% right....there's no way to do that fairly but if you express interest maybe you'll stand out

azzarah, I was just teasing you...since you're a hottie:laugh:

I just got another invitation in the mail...I DIDN'T APPLY THERE!!!! I would hate to think that someone else paid all that money and SF Match sent MY application to the places THEY paid for. :eek: Assuming they didn't ALSO charge my credit card for someone else's 50 programs!

If you applied somewhere but didn't hear back, PLEASE give them a call to make sure they have your application! I'm calling all the programs I have not heard from tomorrow!

I wonder if we'll match at the right programs if they can't even send our applications to the correct places!

:(

azzarah, I was just teasing you...since you're a hottie:laugh:

OMG, I'm so flattered! C'mon....Remind me which one you are! Just do it! You're killing me!

azzarah...what school????

I assure you I'm not the cute chick with the red glasses and nude stilletoes and fun necklace....That was someone else!

I know exactly who your are...your earlier posts mentioned your school and there was only one girl from your school there....and I told you that I interveiwed at your home school

I meant what school gave you an unsolicited interveiw

interview offers at univ minnesota and univ north caroline same day, any advice guys?

Minnesota.

Everyone I know who interviewed at Minnesota the year I did put it either #1 or #2 on their list. I don't know if this is still the case, but at the time, UNC residents had to go to Minnesota for 4 months of their third year to work at the VA to boost their numbers.

I have some other reasons, but I won't air them here.

Dave

anyone else still having still having trouble getting ahold of wash U. any ideas?

anyone else still having still having trouble getting ahold of wash U. any ideas?
Never tried to contact Wash U, but just got a rejection letter in the mail. :(

I am currently scheduled at the UC, Irvine interview for 12/8. I wanted to see if anyone wants to switch their 12/15 interview date for my 12/8.

Thanks for feedback in advance!:)

UCSD (email 11/3) - interview date 11/27, 12/11 (almost full), 12/18 (already full)
Sorta surprised I got this interview since I have zero ties to California...How is this program? What are some comparable schools on the east coast?

Slow day for you guys too??

Yeah, slow day and slow week. Hopefully next is better!
Also, WVU is sending out interviews via snail mail if anyone interested.
I believe days are Dec7, Dec 8.
peace

Got Albany Med Center today via snail mail, only offering 11/17 and I'm already scheduled elsewhere.

I would choose DUKE any minute above UTSW. Much better reputation!!!

UTSW gives a great presentation on interview trail and makes it appear to be the BEST progam in the country...i thought so too when i interviewed but reality is a lil different.
It is an EXCELLENT program but this is the inside scoop
1. You are NOT certified in refractive surgery, as IOP said, its just a course that most program offer..only FEW programs do refractive surgery during residency.
2. They are SHORT on faculty, see blue journal and they have ads all over the place..only 2 retina guys..had 1 retina guy for the longest time. That means weak retina experience
3. You spend a LOT of time a parkland and not at all the beautiful facilties you see.
4. Surgery numbers a excellent but staffed by private guys...
5. Chairman is very MEAN... thank good u dont see him....not uncommon for him to make residents cry
6. Oh yeah..MOST are not done by 5pm..you are on your own.. so some stay LATE

Again, excellent program but keep all the above things in mind...lot of people regret going there once they start their residency and tons of people love it. I hope this helps

I hate the SF Match for what its doing. I cant believe that they have messed up so badly this time. Sending out applications late and sending the wrong ones to the wrong places. Its such a hassle for everyone concerned if we were all to start making phone calls to programs we havent heard from. In my case, thats a LOT!! So many specialties have moved out of SF match.. why cant ophthalmology do the same, especially when there is something far better out there? ERAS is so much more transparent. I believe ERAS also has a way of linking specialty matches with the Prelim year application, so what is the big deal with this early SF match ? Is there something we can all do in this regard ? Like asking our programs and schools to initiate or join in the process of moving out of SF Match? This would at least help future applicants.
Pissed..:mad:

I just got another invitation in the mail...I DIDN'T APPLY THERE!!!! I would hate to think that someone else paid all that money and SF Match sent MY application to the places THEY paid for. :eek: Assuming they didn't ALSO charge my credit card for someone else's 50 programs!

If you applied somewhere but didn't hear back, PLEASE give them a call to make sure they have your application! I'm calling all the programs I have not heard from tomorrow!

I wonder if we'll match at the right programs if they can't even send our applications to the correct places!

:(

The Academy meeting is next weekend, so I'd be surprised if there are any interviews next weekend

What's with the weekends before and after thanksgiving!!! It's annying because this weekend and the next are relativly free.

Got Albany Med Center today via snail mail, only offering 11/17 and I'm already scheduled elsewhere.

That's wierd! I got the same letter from them, only offering me 11/18.

MUSC - Storm Eye (phone 11/3)
U Cincinatti (snail 11/4)

Casey vs. Indiana

Can only make one, any thoughts? I know both cities well, so am really more interested in thoughts on the program themselves.

Also, any thoughts on how the timing of your interview offer affects your chances at matching (1st wave vs 2nd or 3rd wave)? Thanks everyone

No competition, Casey is hands down the better program. Casey is a top 10 NIH ophthalmology research institution, has been among the top 10 list for residency training programs in Ophthalmology times, search SDN for "Casey Eye" for more comments on this program.

Dont mean to knock Indiana, which is a solid mid tier program.

I currently have a November 20th spot at Oklahoma. Does anybody have an alternate date that would be willing to switch with me?

If I can't find someone to switch with me....it's tufts vs. oklahoma..Any advice ???? :confused:

Actually, if someone can switch their 11/18 interview for my 12/2 date then I can make both (see my post above). I'd like to keep Indiana if possible (it is close to family), but will open it to others if I don't hear anything. Thx.

Is anyone interviewing at Georgetown on November 8? I received an email confirming my date but I have not received anything regarding what time on Wed and the exact place to meet. I have left phone messages w/ no reply as of yet. Please, Any help??????????????????

Temple via snail mail 11/6

Am unfamiliar with this program...any thoughts?

Michigan via phone, only offering 11/30. i probably have to give up my vanderbilt to go. any thoughts on michigan vs. vanderbilt? i know michigan is better but i went to vandy undergrad and would really like to head back to nashville. this sucks, these are probably my two top places and to have to choose between them is no fun.

Gave up UC Irvine.

Very soon...will be giving up UTSW, UC Davis....unfortunately they're all 12/1 dates which seems THE date this year