Georgetown GEMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to be sure. It says that you are encouraged to apply to Georgetown and other schools, however I see that many matriculate directly after their GEMS year into GUSOM. Does that mean there is no glide year? How does the transition from Georgetown to GUSOM work?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to be sure. It says that you are encouraged to apply to Georgetown and other schools, however I see that many matriculate directly after their GEMS year into GUSOM. Does that mean there is no glide year? How does the transition from Georgetown to GUSOM work?
You apply to GEMS and other schools in the fall and hope on matriculating in the next year. Why put all your eggs in one basket? if you do well and get into georgetown, great! if you don't and get into somewhere else, great! The point of the program is to get you into medical school not georgetown

You apply to GEMS and other schools in the fall and hope on matriculating in the next year. Why put all your eggs in one basket? if you do well and get into georgetown, great! if you don't and get into somewhere else, great! The point of the program is to get you into medical school not georgetown

So why do they recommend applying while you're in their program? Most med schools make their decisions before your first semester at the post bacc program is even done. So what will be different about your application if you apply at the BEGINNING of the post bacc program?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of applicants to GEMS have stated their age on these SDN threads, and I've noticed a lot of applicants are around 24-27.
Does the GEMS admissions prefer these relatively older applicants? I ask because I am applying and am a 22 senior in college.
Have there been other GEMS students who went to GEMS right after graduating?

So why do they recommend applying while you're in their program? Most med schools make their decisions before your first semester at the post bacc program is even done. So what will be different about your application if you apply at the BEGINNING of the post bacc program?
You want to apply as early as possible and applications open in May. Most schools will probably wait to see your first semester grades before accepting you. But tbh you will have a better chance of acceptance after completing the program

A lot of applicants to GEMS have stated their age on these SDN threads, and I've noticed a lot of applicants are around 24-27.
Does the GEMS admissions prefer these relatively older applicants? I ask because I am applying and am a 22 senior in college.
Have there been other GEMS students who went to GEMS right after graduating?
My friend got an interview last year and she was your age so i wouldn't worry

Is the conmittee receptive to resumes attached to the application?

Hi fellow GEMS, I know this thread is a little old but I'm having a hard time finding more info about this program. I'm planning on applying to GEMs next cycle. Congrats on those who got accepted. Do you guys mind answering some of my questions?

1. What other SMP's did everyone apply to? I'm trying to look for ones specifically for disadvantaged students, but it seems like GEMS is the only one! (I'm not a minority but am disadvantaged).

3. Do you have to be both a minority student and disadvantaged?

4. Any application tips?

5. For those who interviewed, what about yourself made you stand out? I'm super nervous about the acceptance rate.

6. Will GEMS accept a committee letter from my undergrad?

Sorry for asking all these questions. I'm just nervous and want to get ahead for next cycle. There's not a lot of info online other than here.

Thanks!!